• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

kinggabby

Last night I was at my local On Cue open carrying as usual. A city officer came in an said you might want to cover that up before someone tries to take it from you. I told him I am always watching. He was nice about it so I won't be reporting it to is superiors. And this time I kept it uncovered.

websterz

Last night I was at my local On Cue open carrying as usual. A city officer came in an said you might want to cover that up before someone tries to take it from you. I told him I am always watching. He was nice about it so I won't be reporting it to is superiors. And this time I kept it uncovered.

Was HIS weapon covered? I bet not. :rolleyes:

Bullbuster

OC'd many times over the last couple weeks with hardly a look from anyone.

Today I went to a few places after church with the wife and kids and my Kimber compact crimson carry II to include Chilies on 29th, Lowes, and Steve's wholesale tools on 15th. Aside from a cluless gal at the register the rest of the employees were fantastic and I love the prices. I was still in my suit pants, shirt and tie and even though I had a shiny .45 on my side one employee came up and said " I couldn't help but to notice your Knights of Columbus tie pin". He informed me he was also a Knight from another counsel. He never said one word about my carry and we talked for a good 10 minutes.

websterz

Random guy at WalMart pointing at my pistol: "That pistol will get you in trouble."
Me: "No sir. This is here to prevent trouble."
Him: "Not in here, this is a place of BUSINESS!"
Me (to myself): "Then maybe you ought to mind yours." :rolleyes: :cuss:

hrdware

Stopped at Crest Foods yesterday morning and had the cashier ask me if I was a Private Investigator. Then had to go to Old Navy while at lunch and the cashier asked if I was a police officer. Answered No to both questions, neither person cared that I was not some form official. The guy at Old Navy thought it was kind of cool...first person he had seen OC.

djdavis75

It's been hot and humid, so I haven't felt like wearing a heavy and longer t-shirt to CC, so I've been OCing everywhere. Here is how it's been going:

D&B Store - Clebit, Oklahoma - Walk up store, no other customers there, owner hasn't said anything in two trips there.

Holmes Market - Battiest, Oklahoma - OCed inside once and outside once buying gas. No one said anything, although another customer eyeballed my gun the time I went inside.

Blakes Grocery - Bethel, Oklahoma - OCed there for the first time today. No other customers in the store, clerk didn't say anything.

Mt. Herman Grocery - Mt. Herman, Oklahoma - This is the store I've been talking to about their gunbuster sign. Owner has told me twice I could carry inside, so I OCed when I went in there last, and dropped off the new sign I made for the owner. I'm going back tomorrow to see if the new SDA friendly sign has been put up. Girl working the counter didn't say anything about me OCing.

So far, all is good, nothing to report.

djdavis75

Mt. Herman Grocery - Mt. Herman, Oklahoma - Visited this store again today. I was very happy to see the sign I made up on the door and the old gunbuster sign gone. I was concealed carrying with my new OKOCA T-Shirt on. I thanked the owner for switching to the SDA/OC/CC friendly sign.

okiephlyer

Was in Colorado last week at the BIL's cabin. One day the SIL and my family were going to hike a trail up to a waterfall. The SIL grabs a can of bear mace and I strap on my Glock. She asked me what it was for, my reply was "the same as the mace, but I have 29 shots." Met several hikers on the trail and they either didn't notice or didn't care.

woodyrr

Whitton supply

I stopped by the parts department of Whitton Supply, a power and hand tool supplier. I have been a customer for around 30 years but I haven't been by in a while since I haven't needed any tools and the parts that I have needed were more conveniently obtained using the internet. It appears as if the internet will be my source from now on. They have placed "No Open Carry On Premises" signs on the entry doors.

This is another case of a company that has been hit hard by online retailers and the recession that has taken the decision to exclude a subset of desirable customers from their customer base. In a day and age when every sale counts, one must really be hostile to the right to keep and bear arms to worry about someone with a legally carried gun coming into your store and spending 30.00 on a hammer or 3000.00 on a table saw. It is a shame that it seems it is often these smaller brick and mortar establishments who need every penny of revenue just to keep the lights on that are quickest to turn customers away.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I stopped by the parts department of Whitton Supply, a power and hand tool supplier. I have been a customer for around 30 years but I haven't been by in a while since I haven't needed any tools and the parts that I have needed were more conveniently obtained using the internet. It appears as if the internet will be my source from now on. They have placed "No Open Carry On Premises" signs on the entry doors.

This is another case of a company that has been hit hard by online retailers and the recession that has taken the decision to exclude a subset of desirable customers from their customer base. In a day and age when every sale counts, one must really be hostile to the right to keep and bear arms to worry about someone with a legally carried gun coming into your store and spending 30.00 on a hammer or 3000.00 on a table saw. It is a shame that it seems it is often these smaller brick and mortar establishments who need every penny of revenue just to keep the lights on that are quickest to turn customers away.
Agree that is sad to see these small businesses commit financial suicide. The only edge they have over the big box stores and the internet is personal customer service - then they turn customers away. What are they thinking....are they thinking at all?

Might be worth a shot to have a pleasant conversation with the owner/manager. You'll never know unless you try.

djdavis75

Open carried today while out doing some shopping at a few local stores.

Blakes Grocery - Bethel, Oklahoma - OCed here once before, but today the owner was running the register. I'm not sure he ever saw the Glock on my hip, but if he did, nothing was said. No other customers in the store while I was there.

Mt. Herman Grocery - Mt. Herman, Oklahoma - Owners son was working, nothing said as he knows I OC, plus I got them to change their sign to allow carry with a permit, so they know me. One customer went in ahead of me as I was returning for my second trip carrying things out. He held the door open, and I thanked him, don't think he saw the Glock, but if he did, he didn't act strange or say anything.

So far, great experiences with OC, hopefully it will stay that way. Will probably be going to Wal-Mart and some other larger stores locally soon, so we'll see how those go.

Elm Creek Smith

At Hideaway Pizza on Cherry Street (15th St) in Tulsa on Sunday late afternoon we had no problem. I got some curious glances from other customers, but no one on staff reacted at all my S&W Model 13-3.

ECS

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

okiephlyer

Went to Jason's Deli at 61st and Memorial with several families. Most of the patrons either didn't notice or didn't care. Had one man and his wife politely ask if I had a minute. I went to their table to talk to them. He was a Pediatrician, said he always carried but was hesitant to OC, especially at his office. He wanted to know what the overall reception has been to OC. I told him it has been about 99.9% positive, the only negatives I had was a person that thought it was illegal. I gave him this web site and encouraged him to join us for a meal sometime. When I told my group why I had been so long at the ice cream machine, one of my friends that had been with me to the Porter peach festival (posted previously in this thread) said that he had been watching the public reaction to my OC there, and nobody indicated they cared one way or the other.

okiephlyer

Addendum to post #435

We had a big event at church this Sunday. Was in a group that started discussing carry, open and concealed. The friend we met at McAlisters was part of the conversation. One of the group asked about public acceptance of OC and I told them it has largely been a non-event with most people not noticing. Then I asked the friend if she had noticed that I was OC that evening and she said she had not seen or noticed. So goes open carry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We had a big event at church this Sunday. Was in a grout that started discussing carry, open and concealed. The friend we met at McAlisters was part of the conversation. One of the group asked about public acceptance of OC and I told them it has largely been a non-event with most people not noticing. Then I asked the friend if she had noticed that I was OC that evening and she said she had not seen or noticed. So goes open carry.
Indeed - some people see, others observe.

It is the apex of hiding in plane sight - perfect example of those that live in the white zone.

okboomer

It's lake Lawtonka in Lawton, I don't think army corp owns it

Hi Titanium, City of Lawton owns both Lawtonka and Ellsworth ... since it is public use land, OC/CC is good to go. My family has/had property at both locations when I was growing up and remember Dad having to go through Lawton City Council for building a new boathouse at School House Slough, and when mom looked into developing the Ellsworth property same City Council hoops to jump through.

okboomer

I just finished my class on Saturday and am filling out the paperwork to turn in. It was said during the class by the instructor that as a teacher you can simply ask the school board and they can allow you to carry on school grounds (they might not allow it). I would assume this would cover leaving it in the vehicle as well.

I however do not see anything in the statues that mention the school board has that authority.

Hi TJ, to respond to the leaving the firearm in the car, no, this bill did NOT address that issue. But, there was another bill several years ago ... search the OK forum for Xerox ... that addressed this very issue. Xerox tried to deny CHL citizens (employees) the right to keep a gun in their car in their (Xerox's) parking lot. As a result, OK passed the law that no parking lot's were off limits to a gun secured in the vehicle ... so, when you go to the post office, the court house, or any business' parking lot, whether you are an employee or not, they cannot restrict your 4A by denying you possession of a gun in your private vehicle.

Carry On

okboomer

So a co-worker and I decided to head to Earls for lunch today since they were giving away free sandwiches. We went in, ordered, got our drinks, and walked around trying to find the weekly scavenger hunt sign. As we were walking around the store, I noticed an Edmond police officer sitting by the door. We ended up standing right in front of him for a minute while looking for the sign. We didn't see it so went to on of the closest empty tables and sat down. As I look across the room I see the sign we were looking for and go have my picture taken by it. Now we sit down and enjoy our meal. After the meal, we go refill our drinks, I notice the officer using his radio and think nothing of it. We fill our drinks and walk out...officer in tow. I thank the gentleman who was holding the door and we head towards the car. The following happens:

Officer: You all having a good day?
Us: So far.
Officer: You all are the first people I've seen open carry. Have you guys had anybody check your licenses?
Me: No
Friend: Only once.
Officer: Do you have your licenses with you?
Us: Yes *reaching for licenses*
Officer: Oh, don't worry I'm not going to check them, just wanted to make sure you had them. We've only had this law in Edmond since November and you are the first ones I've seen.
Me: You should hang out at OnCue more often. I usually stop there on my way to work and always see Edmond officers in there.
Officer: Well, when this went into effect I decided I would check everyone I saw so I was consistent and nobody could say I was singling them out for being white, black, Hispanic or anything. Where do you guys keep your permits.
Friend: Front pocket.
Me: In my wallet.
Officer: Why don't you let me see them one at a time.
Us: *Digging for permits and handing them over*
Officer: *after viewing permits and using radio* <call numbers>Disregard 10-4

Although the officer was pleasant, I wish he would have just outright asked to see the permits instead of beating around the bush.

Hi Hdwre,

First, that officer had NO AUTHORITY to ask to see your licenses!

Second, that officer had NO AUTHORITY to ask to see your licenses without RAS that a crime had been committed ... for a misdemeanor, it has to be committed IN FRONT of him, for a felony, he has to have RAS specifically.

Third, that officer is VERY LUCKY that you don't file a complaint ... and if both of you file a complaint, then attend a city council meeting to ask what actions are being taken, the officer will most likely at least be told to QUIT DOING THAT! Before the city has to start forking over 6 figures in fines and penalties to citizens such as yourself.

Of course, talking to one of the officers you see at the morning caffine stop, making a joke out of it, but getting the point across, he may be stopped by peer pressure.

IANL but have held several licenses with the state dealing with citizen-carry firearms statutes, citizen's arrest, criminals/defendants, etc. I would highly recommend that additional firearms/defense/tactical training will not only benefit folks in firearms related situations, but they are educational and fun. Ya meet the nicest folks in the gun world :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi TJ, to respond to the leaving the firearm in the car, no, this bill did NOT address that issue. But, there was another bill several years ago ... search the OK forum for Xerox ... that addressed this very issue. Xerox tried to deny CHL citizens (employees) the right to keep a gun in their car in their (Xerox's) parking lot. As a result, OK passed the law that no parking lot's were off limits to a gun secured in the vehicle ... so, when you go to the post office, the court house, or any business' parking lot, whether you are an employee or not, they cannot restrict your 4A by denying you possession of a gun in your private vehicle.

Carry On
Cannot agree.

State law does not supercede federal law on federal property or USPS regulations.

Also do not be confused by this - there is no direct impact in other than the 10th US Circuit Court and no part of Oklahoma is in that district.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office

hrdware

Carry On

In addition to what Grapeshot said about the postal service, Oklahoma law prevents you from leaving a firearm in your car in the parking lot of a school as well. Title 21 section 1277 specifically exempts school parking lots from being exempt prohibited places.

Hi Hdwre,

First, that officer had NO AUTHORITY to ask to see your licenses!

Second, that officer had NO AUTHORITY to ask to see your licenses without RAS that a crime had been committed ... for a misdemeanor, it has to be committed IN FRONT of him, for a felony, he has to have RAS specifically.

Third, that officer is VERY LUCKY that you don't file a complaint ... and if both of you file a complaint, then attend a city council meeting to ask what actions are being taken, the officer will most likely at least be told to QUIT DOING THAT! Before the city has to start forking over 6 figures in fines and penalties to citizens such as yourself.

Of course, talking to one of the officers you see at the morning caffine stop, making a joke out of it, but getting the point across, he may be stopped by peer pressure.

IANL but have held several licenses with the state dealing with citizen-carry firearms statutes, citizen's arrest, criminals/defendants, etc. I would highly recommend that additional firearms/defense/tactical training will not only benefit folks in firearms related situations, but they are educational and fun. Ya meet the nicest folks in the gun world :D

Under federal law and federal rulings, I would agree. However under state law, an officer needs no reason to ask to see your permit if you are open carry. More than likely, filing a complaint would do no good as the department would simply find the officer was doing what was allowed by state law. I would have to file a federal lawsuit in order for state law and or department policy to be changed, something I have neither the time or money to take on.