• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

CSS91

Well i open carried into Walmart after church this afternoon like i have dozens of times. But this time was different I walked to the hunting section and actually was able to buy 9mm ammo! Then proceed to walk to my truck and passed a LEO he saw me open carrying didn't say a word.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well i open carried into Walmart after church this afternoon like i have dozens of times. But this time was different I walked to the hunting section and actually was able to buy 9mm ammo! Then proceed to walk to my truck and passed a LEO he saw me open carrying didn't say a word.

OMG, and you had ammo in your bag too......oh noes :uhoh:

And on a more serious note, WELCOME to OCDO. :D

okiephlyer

Was passing through McAlester the other day and stopped at Rib Crib for dinner. OC'd past a table with 3 local police and friends, not a word said or much of a notice. When leaving got a great double take from a 30ish male entering the restaurant. Goggle eyes and a chin drop. I just smiled and kept walking.

SigPro

I OC'ed in Earls rib palace on Reno and Meridian without any comments from the staff. Another customer however called OC "stupid, because anyone could take that gun from you. Even if you draw it, its a slide gun and could be disabled by someone grabbing the slide" To which both myself, my mother and grandmother (both OCers) all showed our serpa holsters. I did tell him that even attempting to wrangle away a gun is a risky move to begin with, because you never know what that person has up their sleeves. After we made our points he seemed somewhat at ease about open carry. I do however think he was somewhat right about the someone taking the gun. I mean I use a serpa retention holster, but do other OCers? Is there some requirement about what holster you can use??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I OC'ed in Earls rib palace on Reno and Meridian without any comments from the staff. Another customer however called OC "stupid, because anyone could take that gun from you. Even if you draw it, its a slide gun and could be disabled by someone grabbing the slide" To which both myself, my mother and grandmother (both OCers) all showed our serpa holsters. I did tell him that even attempting to wrangle away a gun is a risky move to begin with, because you never know what that person has up their sleeves. After we made our points he seemed somewhat at ease about open carry. I do however think he was somewhat right about the someone taking the gun. I mean I use a serpa retention holster, but do other OCers? Is there some requirement about what holster you can use??
Retention holsters are good, just adds another level of security, situational awareness works to that end also.

The proverbial gun snatch is a leading ol' wives tale. Show me one (1) incident where a non-LEO/military has in modern times in the USA ever been successfully subjected to such. Several over the years have attempted and failed at such cites, it just doesn't happen. Possible? sure but the resultant numerical ratio will likely look like .00001% or less - better odds you won't find.

Want to snatch/grab my gun?......you'd rather attempt to grab a rattlesnake's tongue. We both would take serious umbrage.

Don't know of any state statute or local ordinance that requires a retention holster. Point of fact a holster is not required, its just good form - know what I mean ol' chap - more civilized and all that. Besides which, it is what we do on OCDO - promote and defend the right to open carry properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives :)

hrdware

Retention holsters are good, just adds another level of security, situational awareness works to that end also.

The proverbial gun snatch is a leading ol' wives tale. Show me one (1) incident where a non-LEO/military has in modern times in the USA ever been successfully subjected to such. Several over the years have attempted and failed at such cites, it just doesn't happen. Possible? sure but the resultant numerical ratio will likely look like .00001% or less - better odds you won't find.

Want to snatch/grab my gun?......you'd rather attempt to grab a rattlesnake's tongue. We both would take serious umbrage.

Don't know of any state statute or local ordinance that requires a retention holster. Point of fact a holster is not required, its just good form - know what I mean ol' chap - more civilized and all that. Besides which, it is what we do on OCDO - promote and defend the right to open carry properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives :)

I use a holster with friction retention. I don't like the thumb break holsters and haven't been able to find a serpa for what I carry.

I've only seen the slide trick happen in the movies.

Oklahoma does have a holster law in that it has to be in a belt holster or shoulder holster or in a scabbard or case designed for carrying the firearm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
The "slide trick" really does work - if a round does not feed correctly, keeping the gun out of battery it won't fire. Clearing such is part of "tap & rack" drills.

Similar thing can be done with a revolver - grabbing/jambing the cylinder, thereby stopping the rotation, will prevent a wheel gun from firing if the hammer hasn't been manually pulled back already.

hrdware

The "slide trick" really does work - if a round does not feed correctly, keeping the gun out of battery it won't fire. Clearing such is part of "tap & rack" drills.

Similar thing can be done with a revolver - grabbing/jambing the cylinder, thereby stopping the rotation, will prevent a wheel gun from firing if the hammer hasn't been manually pulled back already.

My feeling is if you get close enough to me to do either one of those things...I'm doing something wrong :shocker:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Oklahoma does have a holster law in that it has to be in a belt holster or shoulder holster or in a scabbard or case designed for carrying the firearm.
My feeling is if you get close enough to me to do either one of those things...I'm doing something wrong :shocker:
So "pocketing" a BUG is not a legal means of carry?

Being in the next county when TSHF is good, but we can't always choose. Sometime one might be faced with a threat at contact distance - then knowing effective disarms could be priceless.

I know this is Wiki, but it is still good basic stuff:
http://www.wikihow.com/Disarm-a-Criminal-with-a-Handgun

OldCurlyWolf

So "pocketing" a BUG is not a legal means of carry?

Being in the next county when TSHF is good, but we can't always choose. Sometime one might be faced with a threat at contact distance - then knowing effective disarms could be priceless.

I know this is Wiki, but it is still good basic stuff:

Pocketing a bug is considered concealed unless you leave some of the handle sticking out of the pocket. Different rules.;)

okiephlyer

Was with the family and met a friend at McAlisters at 91st and Memorial. Sat for about an hour talking and catching up. Could see several hushed conversations nearby with some pointing and whispering, and one elderly couple sat across from us, noticed, then moved to another table. After that went to Best Buy, As i was entering the customer service line, one of the supervisors was coming the other way, got bug eyed, smiled and said "Here, let me get out of your way". I could tell it surprised him, but it was a pleasant surprise. Another mainly "non-event"

Jayne&Vera

disabling

I use a holster with friction retention. I don't like the thumb break holsters and haven't been able to find a serpa for what I carry.

hrdware
Point of order: As an owner of an M9, or MIL standard Baretta 92... when it is loaded and properly in battery, one CAN reach from the business end and pull the slide off the front of it as seen in movies. I have tested it several times with snap caps playing the role of life loads.

Yes, they'd be TOO close at that point, but just like firing from your jacket pocket; you must be aware there will only be one shot and plan accordingly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
hrdware
Point of order: As an owner of an M9, or MIL standard Baretta 92... when it is loaded and properly in battery, one CAN reach from the business end and pull the slide off the front of it as seen in movies. I have tested it several times with snap caps playing the role of life loads.

Yes, they'd be TOO close at that point, but just like firing from your jacket pocket; you must be aware there will only be one shot and plan accordingly.

Cite please (Youtube?) for this phenomenon.

"Out of battery" is a general definition for the slide being held or pushed to the rear.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Cite please (Youtube?) for this phenomenon.

"Out of battery" is a general definition for the slide being held or pushed to the rear.

Yes, when NOT out of battery.

I have spent about 60 seconds and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7lOuzNr3Tw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dayum! Never would have thought it, but not too old to learn. Thanks for the education.

I have always said that at contact range, the first person to move wins - presuming they know what they are doing.

Bullbuster

Been away but have no negative OC experiences to report. Did OC strong side to a uniformed LEO at Chilies accross from Tinker AFB last night. Had family with me and not a thing happened. Have also OC'd recently at Outback, Olive Garden, Joe's Crab Shack on 240.