• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

kinggabby

The only negative I faced was just about midnight on Saturday . A FTO ( Field Training Officer ) for the Oklahoma County Sheriffs Office saw me OC at a local c-store. I was just outside the door smoking and he walked up to me and told me if I was going to be standing there I needed to cover up. Contacted Bryan with OKOCA and he contacted Sheriffs Department . Undersheriff called me within minutes and got all the info about the encounter. He then apologized for the negative encounter. Fast forward to last night. I was at the same store and the same officer came in and this time he did not say a word about my firearm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only negative I faced was just about midnight on Saturday . A FTO ( Field Training Officer ) for the Oklahoma County Sheriffs Office saw me OC at a local c-store. I was just outside the door smoking and he walked up to me and told me if I was going to be standing there I needed to cover up. Contacted Bryan with OKOCA and he contacted Sheriffs Department . Undersheriff called me within minutes and got all the info about the encounter. He then apologized for the negative encounter. Fast forward to last night. I was at the same store and the same officer came in and this time he did not say a word about my firearm.

Like G.E. used to say, "Progress is our most important product."

A few more of those and you will qualify for the "rapid response team" - good job :)

kinggabby

Like G.E. used to say, "Progress is our most important product."

A few more of those and you will qualify for the "rapid response team" - good job :)
Just doing my part to help keep my freedoms alive. The way I see it the more people see guns on our hips the more they will be comfortable with it. The whole night shift at my local c-store where the incident happened welcomes me to come and hang around with them ( they say I make them feel safe ) . And have had several LEO state they like seeing us with guns because they know it is helping keep criminals away. And they told me it makes their job easier.

hrdware

While at my normal morning OnCue stop today, I had someone ask about the type of holster I was using. Had a brief conversation with him while waiting in line to pay.

CSS91

Well I was driving into town the other day when a guy on the side of the road waved me down. (I am usually very skeptical on pulling over but I had my gun and a buddy was with me). I get out an walk over ask what is wrong he said he needed a tow to the closes truck stop bout 2 miles away. I said sure started to get my chain out and he noticed my gun and asked we were cops... I chuckled and said "no sir I have permit to carry". He then says "with all the crazy people out there your smart to carry". I said "Yessir that's why I carry everyday". Pulled him to the truck stop and went on my way.

okiephlyer

Twice in one day!

A little late with this story. One Saturday a few weeks ago the wife and I ended up in town with both cars. She headed home first and came across a traffic accident. No one else was stopping to help, so she turned around and stopped. I was coming by a few minutes later and noticed the car off the road, and a couple of people out helping the accident victim, (not hurt, just shaken up and dazed). I was going to go on when I noticed it was her car, so i pulled off to see what was going on. At that time the other people that had stopped went on, and the wife was late to take our daughter to grandma's, so she went on as well. That left me with the driver. A few minutes later OHP showed up. I was OC and knew that by the law, I did not need to inform, but I did anyway. He just said OK and proceeded on with his investigation. After seeing the driver was OK and a tow truck was on the way, he said I was dismissed. So basically no reaction at all to my OC. I chalk that up to a good encounter.
Later that night, we were headed home from a dinner and game night at our church small group. About a half mile from our house, a car coming the opposite direction missed a curve and rolled 2 1/2 times and ended up on its top. The driver was just about out of the car when I got to him. Again, very shaken up and a couple of small cuts, but not hurt. Along comes OHP and I go through the same notification drill, and again all he said was OK. Since I was the only eye witness, he got my tag number and said he could track me down if needed. Again, no reaction to my OC.
I have seen very few accidents, but two within 8 hours was definitely different. OHP responded in a calm professional manner and went on with their business. The people at the second acccident were very inquisitive and fully supportive. I gave a few of them this website to seek more information.

okiephlyer

Porter Peach Festival

My family and another family got to Porter about an hour before the parade. Rode the tram to the downtown area. Walked around the vendors, the inflatables and the car show. Finally saw another oc'er and spoke briefly with him. Back to the downtown area to watch the parade, watched the kids chasing fish in a wading pool, bought some overpriced peaches and headed home. At one time walked by in front of the local police tent. No google eyes, no comments, no negatives at all. A great day for OC.

Elm Creek Smith

Arby's on the east side of South Yale Ave between I-44 and East 51st Street

Got back in Tulsa yesterday evening around 9:00 PM from my niece's wedding in Norman, and stopped at Arby's to get my sleepy granddaughter a sandwich. I walked inside like I always do since my ears and the remote ordering speaker systems don't get along. There were four employees behind the counter and two of them, the guys, raised their hands like it was a stick-up. One of them said, "I don't want to get shot." I ignored them and placed my order with a very professional lady while the two idiots wandered back into the kitchen area. I was carrying my nickeled Model 37 untucked in a DeSantis tuckable IWB holster (the one with adjustable rake).

I didn't have time to talk to the manager right then, but I'm off tomorrow and intend to go back with my receipt (the one with the survey on it). If he explains acceptably how he's going to deal with stupid employees who do things to embarass customers and make them uncomfortable, I might even buy something from there again.

ECS

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Got back in town yesterday evening from my niece's wedding in Norman, and stopped at Arby's to get my sleepy granddaughter a sandwich. I walked inside like I always do since my ears and the remote ordering speaker systems don't get along. There were four employees behind the counter and two of them, the guys, raised their hands like it was a stick-up. One of them said, "I don't want to get shot." I ignored them and placed my order with a very professional lady while the two idiots wandered back into the kitchen area. I was carrying my nickeled Model 37 untucked in a DeSantis tuckable IWB holster (the one with adjustable rake).

I didn't have time to talk to the manager right then, but I'm off tomorrow and intend to go back with my receipt (the one with the survey on it). If he explains acceptably how he's going to deal with stupid employees who do things to embarass customers and make them uncomfortable, I might even buy something from there again.

ECS

Indeed such employee conduct could result in one getting shot if someone else thought a real robbery was taking place.

I never find such conduct acceptable and have caused several such ignoramuses to be educated by their manager.

Elm Creek Smith

Indeed such employee conduct could result in one getting shot if someone else thought a real robbery was taking place.

I never find such conduct acceptable and have caused several such ignoramuses to be educated by their manager.

I just thought they were being stupid; I didn't even consider the getting shot part.:eek:

If it weren't for the fact that it was already well past my granddaughter's bedtime, I'd have raised the issue right then and there. If she hadn't had her heart set on something from Arby's I'd have told them off, turned around, and walked out. (Yeah, my granddaughter has me wrapped around her little finger.)

I'll go back tomorrow and share my experience with the manager. We'll see what his response might be.

ECS

SigPro

Today while I was out picking up a few things from Walmart with my mom for a family gathering. I actually had a young couple and their three children, come up and ask how they could be like me and carry a weapon! I'm a pretty outgoing person and always willing to educate folks, so I gave them the rundown on what you have to do to carry...

However... After we parted ways, something quite creepy happened... I don't know if I'm just paranoid or if it was something to worry about...

I'll start off by saying, I'm 21, and not a particularly big or threating looking idividual... Just your average starving college student... While I was just browsing the aisles looking for some ingredients for the week... I had this guy...big guy(relative term as I'm not some tall body builder) all covered in tattoos and Ed Hardy, get uncomfortablely close to me and my openly carried Sig... Now normally I would call this a fluke... But this dude, did this 4 separate times in different parts of the store... He was following us for sure, but why?! Anyone have any experiences like this? I got kind of paranoid about him being close enough to try and take my firearm. I carry in a serpa paddle rig, but still worrys me...

Before you guys tell me I have terrible situational awareness, I will say he was always in my blind spot. I had to wear my glasses today because my contacts have seemingly vanished since Friday... I did notice the first time when I turned to leave the aisle, and everytime after that when I could smell his terrible over zealous use of axe body spray... I had my mom watch him as I moved and he did follow me... Even one lane over in the check out. Does anone have any insight as to why he may have done this, or anyone have the same experience?? Both of us where fairly concerned that this happened and have our gear locked and loaded...just in case...

kinggabby

Today while I was out picking up a few things from Walmart with my mom for a family gathering. I actually had a young couple and their three children, come up and ask how they could be like me and carry a weapon! I'm a pretty outgoing person and always willing to educate folks, so I gave them the rundown on what you have to do to carry...

However... After we parted ways, something quite creepy happened... I don't know if I'm just paranoid or if it was something to worry about...

I'll start off by saying, I'm 21, and not a particularly big or threating looking idividual... Just your average starving college student... While I was just browsing the aisles looking for some ingredients for the week... I had this guy...big guy(relative term as I'm not some tall body builder) all covered in tattoos and Ed Hardy, get uncomfortablely close to me and my openly carried Sig... Now normally I would call this a fluke... But this dude, did this 4 separate times in different parts of the store... He was following us for sure, but why?! Anyone have any experiences like this? I got kind of paranoid about him being close enough to try and take my firearm. I carry in a serpa paddle rig, but still worrys me...

Before you guys tell me I have terrible situational awareness, I will say he was always in my blind spot. I had to wear my glasses today because my contacts have seemingly vanished since Friday... I did notice the first time when I turned to leave the aisle, and everytime after that when I could smell his terrible over zealous use of axe body spray... I had my mom watch him as I moved and he did follow me... Even one lane over in the check out. Does anone have any insight as to why he may have done this, or anyone have the same experience?? Both of us where fairly concerned that this happened and have our gear locked and loaded...just in case...
Did he act like he was shopping ? It is possible he was loss prevention. I have read post from people in other states that have been followed by the Wally World State police.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I want to give you a break on your situational awareness for the 1st run in, but I cant for the 2nd ,3rd or the 4th time he got close!

I think he was a wanna be good samaritan.
He maybe was keeping close so that he could be
the guy that grabs the gun away from the guy
that suddenly decides to go on a shooting rampage!

SigPro

Did he act like he was shopping ? It is possible he was loss prevention. I have read post from people in other states that have been followed by the Wally World State police.

I want to give you a break on your situational awareness for the 1st run in, but I cant for the 2nd ,3rd or the 4th time he got close!

I think he was a wanna be good samaritan.
He maybe was keeping close so that he could be
the guy that grabs the gun away from the guy
that suddenly decides to go on a shooting rampage!

He for sure wasn't loss prevention, I went to high school with the guys that do that for this Walmart... If he was OSBI he certainly wasn't in any sort of uniform or whatever business attire they wear...

As for situational awareness, I DID know he was there, he just stayed in the fringe of my visual perception... I wasn't all to worried about that because my mom carried her Kimber ready to deploy... As far as I can tell he may have just been trying to see what I was carrying... Or just checking me out...?

Elm Creek Smith

Arby's redux

Well, let's just say I'm waiting for a call from the Arby's home office. The manager had to talk to his people before he could respond "appropriately." Hmmm. Nothing yet, and my phone is on and the volume is turned up. Looks like Arby's will be off the menu for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong time.

ECS

hrdware

License check

So a co-worker and I decided to head to Earls for lunch today since they were giving away free sandwiches. We went in, ordered, got our drinks, and walked around trying to find the weekly scavenger hunt sign. As we were walking around the store, I noticed an Edmond police officer sitting by the door. We ended up standing right in front of him for a minute while looking for the sign. We didn't see it so went to on of the closest empty tables and sat down. As I look across the room I see the sign we were looking for and go have my picture taken by it. Now we sit down and enjoy our meal. After the meal, we go refill our drinks, I notice the officer using his radio and think nothing of it. We fill our drinks and walk out...officer in tow. I thank the gentleman who was holding the door and we head towards the car. The following happens:

Officer: You all having a good day?
Us: So far.
Officer: You all are the first people I've seen open carry. Have you guys had anybody check your licenses?
Me: No
Friend: Only once.
Officer: Do you have your licenses with you?
Us: Yes *reaching for licenses*
Officer: Oh, don't worry I'm not going to check them, just wanted to make sure you had them. We've only had this law in Edmond since November and you are the first ones I've seen.
Me: You should hang out at OnCue more often. I usually stop there on my way to work and always see Edmond officers in there.
Officer: Well, when this went into effect I decided I would check everyone I saw so I was consistent and nobody could say I was singling them out for being white, black, Hispanic or anything. Where do you guys keep your permits.
Friend: Front pocket.
Me: In my wallet.
Officer: Why don't you let me see them one at a time.
Us: *Digging for permits and handing them over*
Officer: *after viewing permits and using radio* <call numbers>Disregard 10-4

Although the officer was pleasant, I wish he would have just outright asked to see the permits instead of beating around the bush.

glock22oc

Tonight I stopped in at Montana Mike's Steakhouse, in El Reno. I had the wife and kids along. I was open carrying my Glock 22 in a Blackhawk Serpa. The waitress seated us across the aisle from 3 local police officers. All 3 eyed me when we walked by and sat down across from them. After that, they didn't seem to even care and never said a word, just as it sould be.

Last edited: