• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Cop, Bad Cop~Knowing which is which?

palerider116

If you want to really drill down to LE issues, consider these issues:

- Poor primary, secondary, and formal education in basic human rights and the US Constitution.

- The high speed low drag type A personality that departments want.

- The "virtuous cause" of reducing crime (compounds the first two issues).

- A citizenry that does not guard it's liberty carefully or zealously.

- The criminal element on both sides of the badge.

It's a systematic breakdown that has been occurring long before I was born.

carolina guy

If you want to really drill down to LE issues, consider these issues:

- Poor primary, secondary, and formal education in basic human rights and the US Constitution.

- The high speed low drag type A personality that departments want.

- The "virtuous cause" of reducing crime (compounds the first two issues).

- A citizenry that does not guard it's liberty carefully or zealously.

- The criminal element on both sides of the badge.

It's a systematic breakdown that has been occurring long before I was born.

It also boils down to a misunderstanding of the basic role of the police...they are not primarily "law enforcement" rather they are primarily "order maintenance".

As a quick question to anyone...care to tell me what law allows a LEO to exercise "discretion" in deciding to enforce a valid law or not? :)

minarchist

Citizens should not be in the business of killing police or cheering those who do.

Since this is a thread about good cops and bad cops, my question is: What if the killed cop was a bad cop and it was self-defense?

Today, people laud the colonists for killing the tyrant's henchmen in the late eighteenth century, but apparently what was just and noble in the late eighteenth century is extremely wicked in the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.

Sheeple, lol.

Last edited:

ron73440

I would say you are going to have a serious uphill fight on your hands. The other cops will rally around their buddy and the prosecutor will be gunning (no pun intended) to put away a "cop killer".

I would hope this never happens, but our system, while being the fairest in the world in my opinion, is still hard to fight against.

eye95

Since this is a thread about good cops and bad cops, my question is: What if the killed cop was a bad cop and it was self-defense?

Today, people laud the colonists for killing the tyrant's henchmen in the late eighteenth century, but apparently what was just and noble in the late eighteenth century is extremely wicked in the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.

Sheeple, lol.

I would say that it is not your judgment as to whether it was self-defense, but that of twelve good men and true.

OC for ME

It is prudent for the police to assume all citizens are threats. The frequency of gun owners killing, robbing, or committing other crimes demands constant vigilance on an officer's part. <snip>
Careful how you sling around the term "gun owners."

I wonder if you intended to use that term or are unaware of the difference between "owning" a gun and "possessing" a gun.

A prohibited person steals a gun or buys a stolen gun he possesses that gun because the rightful owner no longer possesses his gun.

Some may say semantics, I say a very clear distinction. Generalizing "gun owners" to include those who unlawfully possess a gun is bashing all lawful gun owners. By definition lawful gun owners are not going to commit a crime with their gun. If/when a lawful gun owner commits a crime with his gun he then may become a prohibited person and no longer a gun owner.

Back to the OP, I treat them all as bad until they prove to me they are not. Just as every cop should treat me as bad until I prove to him that I am not.

Freedom1Man

Deanimator

As I recall, the owner of SecondCityCop Blog was pretty steamed about the city not settling the Abbate case when it had the chance. Now, not only does everybody know there's a "blue wall of silence", it's been enshrined in LAW.

You just need to watch the Harless video of THREE different incidents where NONE of his partners made the SLIGHTEST effort to restrain him. As far as I know, there's not one IOTA of evidence that they ever reported him either. To date, I haven't seen ANY evidence to indicate that that's NOT the norm nationwide. And that's completely apart from a home invasion, burglary and kidnapping ring operating INSIDE the Chicago PD for YEARS. As per SOP, fellow officers and Internal Affairs "DIdn't see nuttin'"...

acmariner99

Good Cop vs. Bad Cop

I think a general security principle is applied in most of my interactions with the people around me. In information security, most practices involve "whitelisting" sites, domains, traffic, or computer behavior - which means that if by reputation and frequent association with such an element, that element can be allowed through your system's defenses since it is deemed safe although filters are still in place to make sure they don't do anything out of the ordinary. Black listing denotes an element that is known to be bad and automatically blocks it.

When it comes to our interactions with people - be it LEO, stranger, or even a trusted friend, we have filters in place that determine whether a person is a hazard to our safety or not. With a trusted friend, we would be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt - but we still would respond accordingly if they suddenly did something dangerous. The trick is setting the standard for our "filters" when interacting with people and when we determine that their responses are "acceptable" we will let that person through our natural defenses. If an LEO respects that you do not wish for a search of person or property without RAS, then I would be inclined to think that he/she is a "good cop." Even though I would have a better expectation of my rights being respected, I still wouldn't drop my guard. If the cop won't respect my rights I shut up, request a lawyer, and sort things out in court.

Fallschirjmäger

At least 9 out of 10 cops are "good cops," but are you randomly gonna stick your hand in a box of these and take the chance?

3075709444_cd72e1c2b8.jpg

lampyrpyr3.jpg

lzpulchrasd4062.jpg

meeuryxanthusrbaz042.jpg

algam.jpg

San_Diego_Mountain_King_Snake.jpg

animals-ScarletSnake-slide4-web.jpg

3075709444_cd72e1c2b8.jpg

coral-snake01.jpg

lzmulticincta04.jpg

Or are you going to maybe, ... be a bit circumspect, cautious, and discerning?

Last edited:

minarchist

I would say that it is not your judgment as to whether it was self-defense, but that of twelve good men and true.

Regardless of what any enthusiastic statist (which many of your posts have led me to think that you are) declares, no one owns me, and I will exercise my natural law right (if I were a theist I would call it a god-given right) of self-defense regardless of the identity of the person trying to kill me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
At least 9 out of 10 cops are "good cops," but are you randomly gonna stick your hand in a box of these and take the chance?

:)

I don't know whether to scold you for insulting snakes by comparing them to cops. Or, laugh for the sly way of comparing cops to snakes.

For unfamiliar readers, only two of the pictured snakes are poisonous. There's a little poem that helps:

Yellow and black, friend of Jack.
Red and yellow, dangerous fellow.

Notice that on two of the snakes, the red bands are directly adjacent on the yellow bands. On the rest, red and yellow are separated by black.