• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Cop, Bad Cop~Knowing which is which?

WalkingWolf

I have yet to meet any cop that was interested in educating the caller on the subject. They all seem to rather want to harass the OCer.

It's good to know that not all who respond are bad across the country. HOWEVER all the ones who have responded when I was the OCer have not really been good cops. There have been some less evil ones, because they always ask if I am a felon tells me that they either do not know what a citizen's rights are or willfully wish harass a citizen for exercising rights.

If only 1 cop showed up and just said 'hello' then I MIGHT redact that statement. I have only seen one cop only once and he did not even get out of his car. He did however ask if I was a felon.
A officer does three things when they respond to a MWAG call. They appease a caller that is either ignorant of the law or calling out of a political agenda to harass OC'ers, Two they are harassing law abiding citizens that are not breaking the law no matter how nice they are about violating that citizens rights, Third they are wasting precious tax dollars, that should be spent patrolling or investigating crimes. The one thing they are not doing is being a good cop.

The person the officer should be educating is the dispatcher, and then the dispatcher should educate future callers.

WalkingWolf

Excerpt:

I laughed mirthlessly at this one sentence.

Simply showing up for a call for service makes a cop a bad cop because an ill informed citizen calls in a MWAG? It has the potential for a cop to become a bad cop if not handled lawfully. Absolutely.

Showing up, seeing the OCer carry on lawfully, and not engaging the OCer makes one a bad cop?

What if I walk up, shake the guy's hand, and say "nice gun" and walk off? Is that an arrest?

If you get really lucky, you as an officer might even get to teach the caller about OC, 18.2-308 (for VA), and the right to bear arms. Novel concept!
A cop that shows up for a lawful activity is either a bad cop or a idiot. Have yet to see or hear of a officer saying nice gun on a call. Here the deputies do it right, they educate the caller, no officers are dispatched. Walking up to a person is still unnerving for some newbie carriers, so it is still harassing and YOU know it. Do you see a couple and tell the husband, "nice arse"? And still consider it being a good cop?

Having been a cop and a citizen, I can tell you that most citizens want to be left the %@*# alone, when it comes to police. It just happens that most cops seem to forget they are also a citizen first. How does that song go by Pink Floyd? "Hey copper! Leave those citizens alone!"

sudden valley gunner

A officer does three things when they respond to a MWAG call. They appease a caller that is either ignorant of the law or calling out of a political agenda to harass OC'ers, Two they are harassing law abiding citizens that are not breaking the law no matter how nice they are about violating that citizens rights, Third they are wasting precious tax dollars, that should be spent patrolling or investigating crimes. The one thing they are not doing is being a good cop.

The person the officer should be educating is the dispatcher, and then the dispatcher should educate future callers.
s

Well said!, mental note to borrow your reasoning here.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
(Please re-read carefully before responding negatively.)

I don't think I could say a cop is a bad cop for showing up to a reported case of mere OC where OC is legal.

First, he can observe from a distance without making contact. This is dumb, but it doesn't make him a bad cop.

However, I vigorously object to a consensual investigative contact for mere OC where legal. This is intolerable because it demonstrates a mentality that an enumerated right is suspicious. But, since it is legal to contact consensually for pretty much anything, and all but a very, very few cops would know better, I still can't say a cop is bad for a consensual investigative contact.

If the contact is a detention for mere OC where legal: bad cop. Thug. Hang him (figuratively speaking).

carolina guy

+100

carolina guy

A cop that shows up for a lawful activity is either a bad cop or a idiot. Have yet to see or hear of a officer saying nice gun on a call. Here the deputies do it right, they educate the caller, no officers are dispatched. Walking up to a person is still unnerving for some newbie carriers, so it is still harassing and YOU know it. Do you see a couple and tell the husband, "nice arse"? And still consider it being a good cop?

Having been a cop and a citizen, I can tell you that most citizens want to be left the %@*# alone, when it comes to police. It just happens that most cops seem to forget they are also a citizen first. How does that song go by Pink Floyd? "Hey copper! Leave those citizens alone!"

I would also add the possibility that they are bored.

There is no limit to the number of intrusions a police officer can inflict upon normal LAC simply because another LAC is either annoyed, confused or ignorant.

And I will 2nd it as another former LEO and current citizen...most people want to be left alone, period.

carolina guy

I don't think I could say a cop is a bad cop for showing up to a reported case of mere OC where OC is legal.

First, he can observe from a distance without making contact. This is dumb, but it doesn't make him a bad cop.

However, I vigorously object to a consensual investigative contact for mere OC where legal. This is intolerable because it demonstrates a mentality that an enumerated right is suspicious. But, since it is legal to contact consensually for pretty much anything, and all but a very, very few cops would know better, I still can't say a cop is bad for a consensual investigative contact.

If the contact is a detention for mere OC where legal: bad cop. Thug. Hang him (figuratively speaking).

I would say that at very best, the police officer that KNOWINGLY shows up to investigate legal OC is a poor steward of the public trust and coffers by spending time and money to do so.

How about if they start investigating all other reported incidents of people behaving lawfully and peacefully?

eye95

Yeah. What he said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah, "showing up" is bad??? Laughable.

The best encounter I ever had with a cop because of my OC was his responding to a MWAG call. We sat down and had coffee together. It was a great chat. He was quite Liberty-minded.

And he wrote everything you said down so they can use it against you next time ... why talk to a cop?

WalkingWolf

And he wrote everything you said down so they can use it against you next time ... why talk to a cop?

Because that is what sheeple do! As long as it is somebodies else mammary gland in the wringer it is ok with some of the populace because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy. Some day sooner or later it will be their mammary gland in the wringer though, then watch the tune change.

palerider116

Excerpt for effect:
A cop that shows up for a lawful activity is either a bad cop or a idiot.

That precludes any other possibility, and that makes one a bad poster or an idiot.

I jest.

What if department policy does not permit an officer to disregard a call for service?

And you presume the lawful activity is accurately described by the caller and accurately entered by the call taker. Both are wildly inaccurate. A lot. Like I'm serious to the point I've responded to one call and found out it was another.

And what if the officer happens to be there on an unrelated matter and happens to see you but does not engage you? Bad cop. Idiot cop. An enemy of OCDO and a tyrant; the proclamation rings forth across the forum.

I could continue, but the point I make is obscenely clear: your LE maxim is not grounded in reality.

Excerpt for effect:
Have yet to see or hear of a officer saying nice gun on a call.

Omnipresent and omniscient you are not.

I shook hands with a "unicorn" as we both waited in line at 7-11 and asked him if he was OCDO (he was not). Expressed my envy that he carried a Glock 21.

I have an affinity for Glocks. That sweet sweet polymer and Tenifer treatment... I digress.

I marvel you did not hear or see about this event.

WalkingWolf

Excerpt for effect:

What if department policy does not permit an officer to disregard a call for service?
Quit and get a job that does not violate the constitution, insult the decent citizens, and waste tax payers money! What a stupid excuse for ignoring the constitution. IOW do the right thing!

But it does appear you would rather make excuses for harassing the public, maybe you enjoy the power rush. There is a certain joy to being a part of the solution, instead of being a part of the problem.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Quit and get a job that does not violate the constitution, insult the decent citizens, and waste tax payers money! What a stupid excuse for ignoring the constitution. IOW do the right thing!

But it does appear you would rather make excuses for harassing the public, maybe you enjoy the power rush. There is a certain joy to being a part of the solution, instead of being a part of the problem.

His post is a perfect example of "no bad apple". When the barrel is rotten.

carolina guy

Excerpt for effect:

Constitution > Laws > Police Policy

Policy is pretty far down the food chain...and doesn't even have the appearance of law. But, if a department wants to make it official and follow the policy, then they become fully liable for following the policy.

And you presume the lawful activity is accurately described by the caller and accurately entered by the call taker. Both are wildly inaccurate. A lot. Like I'm serious to the point I've responded to one call and found out it was another.

If the call taker is so inaccurate and incompetent at getting reliable information from a caller (non-emergency situation), they need to find another job. This is not the mark of a professional.

And what if the officer happens to be there on an unrelated matter and happens to see you but does not engage you? Bad cop. Idiot cop. An enemy of OCDO and a tyrant; the proclamation rings forth across the forum.

If the LEO just happens to "be there" and sees a LAC OC, what reason is there to engage the LAC? If they see someone driving a nice car, do they always come up and engage? There is a certain level of distrust and fear with interactions with the police, so why create more by engaging unnecessarily?

Freedom1Man

Everybody knows how the instructions on gun solvent (Hoppe's 9) warns you to have "adequate ventilation", right? :)

OK - two summers ago, I was sitting in my carport on the floor cleaning a SxS 12 gauge and an AK rifle. Both were laid out on the floor around me along with the kits. Suddenly, a sheriff's deputy pulls his cruiser into my driveway and gets out. While I'm still sitting on the concrete, he toggles the mike on his shoulder and said "Disregard" into it. While I still had to go inside and get my FOID, nothing came of it.

As he was getting ready to leave, I jokingly told him a couple of things that brought a grin to his face. I said that the call shows a couple of things, 1- the caller wasn't somebody living in the neighborhood. Otherwise, they would have known I own guns and hunt. I also said that 2- the caller knew little, if anything, about guns because, if they did, they would have realized that guns broken down for cleaning aren't the problem!

At least it was one of the few encounters with a LEO (count on ONE hand) that was a pleasant one.
:D

FOID? What is that? If that stands of Firearms Owner ID then that is purely jacked up.

minarchist

Everybody knows how the instructions on gun solvent (Hoppe's 9) warns you to have "adequate ventilation", right? :)

OK - two summers ago, I was sitting in my carport on the floor cleaning a SxS 12 gauge and an AK rifle. Both were laid out on the floor around me along with the kits. Suddenly, a sheriff's deputy pulls his cruiser into my driveway and gets out. While I'm still sitting on the concrete, he toggles the mike on his shoulder and said "Disregard" into it. While I still had to go inside and get my FOID, nothing came of it.

As he was getting ready to leave, I jokingly told him a couple of things that brought a grin to his face. I said that the call shows a couple of things, 1- the caller wasn't somebody living in the neighborhood. Otherwise, they would have known I own guns and hunt. I also said that 2- the caller knew little, if anything, about guns because, if they did, they would have realized that guns broken down for cleaning aren't the problem!

At least it was one of the few encounters with a LEO (count on ONE hand) that was a pleasant one.
:D

I see that you're quite a distance from Chicago. In my opinion, that probably accounts for the pleasant interaction.