Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greentops

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Greentops

I think there was a flash mob of OC'ers today. I had to meet some people there today and while outside watched people go in. It looked like one out of every 3 was OC'ing.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Sounds like a ferry tale to me
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Sounds like a ferry tale to me
    Lots of strange things today. The dog hunters are training Deer Goats now.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Lots of strange things today.
    Yesterday had today beat. I was at our outdoor range in Doswell and 2 emu's came out of the woods and ran about 20 yards in front of me.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Yesterday had today beat. I was at our outdoor range in Doswell and 2 emu's came out of the woods and ran about 20 yards in front of me.
    They are good eating, and as far as I know there is no need for a license/permit to shoot them.

Or did you use that as a teaching moment to demonstrate how a "clean shot" can suddenly turn into a "no shoot"?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Where in the world did they come from? Google reveals one report from about 4 months ago in Virginia Beach where a jogger saw one. Are these pets that have escaped?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    They are good eating, and as far as I know there is no need for a license/permit to shoot them.

Or did you use that as a teaching moment to demonstrate how a "clean shot" can suddenly turn into a "no shoot"?

stay safe.
    I was the only one there....setting up. The students hadn't arrived yet.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Where in the world did they come from? Google reveals one report from about 4 months ago in Virginia Beach where a jogger saw one. Are these pets that have escaped?

TFred
    People have them on farms all over Hanover and Caroline counties. There are always reports of them escaping.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

they have them at the zoo in Chesterfield, I know they didn't escape from there but Logan and I were there on Saturday and as we were walking up to them I heard someone saying "look baby ostriches" so I asked Logan what kind of bird it was and he told everyone within earshot "emu .. emu .. emu". Got a couple of stares like "wow that little kid knows what kind of bird it is".

I was the only one there....setting up. The students hadn't arrived yet.
    no proof without pictures my guess is a city boy like you couldnt tell the difference between an emu and a wild turkey

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    no proof without pictures my guess is a city boy like you couldn't tell the difference between an emu and a wild turkey
    Or an emu and anything else after a little Wild Turkey!

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

It was a yankee BBQ bird....Jim could smell it, and let it go...
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

for anyone who has never seen an emu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emu.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	10241

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    Or an emu and anything else after a little Wild Turkey!

Roscoe
    Since this has gone off topic, started as off topic and I'l world famous for going off topic...I'll tell one of my mountain stories.

Once upon a time there was a Ski Resort built on a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. It was owned partly by the Webb Corporation who sent some of it's people to run it.

The General Manager was a fellow named Fred Swaney who wore Safari Jackets and proclaimed himself a great hunter.

He had an idiot son named Randall who wanted to be a great hunter also. Randall built a deer stand in the National Forest and began illegally baiting it with corn.

When the Ski Resort was built a lot of small farms were purchased and one had Angora Goats. The owner just let them go.

On the opening day of Deer season, Randall came running back to his car dragging one of these goats shouting that he had bagged a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.

Someone, can't remember who, told him Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep had to be checked in at a very seedy country store in Elkton.

He barely got out alive but the Swaney family has had a mounted Billy goat head since.

Back to Emu's

He had an idiot son named Randall who wanted to be a great hunter also. Randall built a deer stand in the National Forest and began illegally baiting it with corn.

When the Ski Resort was built a lot of small farms were purchased and one had Angora Goats. The owner just let them go.

On the opening day of Deer season, Randall came running back to his car dragging one of these goats shouting that he had bagged a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.
    This must have been one stupid kid... let's even grant the possibility that there are bighorn sheep in Virginia. Certainly the kid knew when he took the shot that he did not know for sure they were even legal to hunt, or in season at that time!

And then upon someone's advice, he continued with his task and took it to a check-in station - without confirming that it was a legal harvest? Wow.

TFred

Re: Greentops

Lots of strange things today. The dog hunters are training Deer Goats now.

I saw that goat when I was there Sunday. Surprised our paths didn't cross.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Well, no Goats or Emu's today

Must have been a slow day. Didn't see anyone OC'n anywhere. Anyway, went in looking for reloading stuff, shelves bare as usual. Cruised over to Bass Pro's and behold the only thing on the shelf was some Hornady 55g FMJ-BT bullets. Lovely. Grabbed 700 of those babies. The lady at the checkout said I can only have 2 boxes of .22 ammo. Huh? After some help from some knowledgeable sales staff she finished the ring out.

Sorry for hoarding folks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Must have been a slow day. Didn't see anyone OC'n anywhere. Anyway, went in looking for reloading stuff, shelves bare as usual. Cruised over to Bass Pro's and behold the only thing on the shelf was some Hornady 55g FMJ-BT bullets. Lovely. Grabbed 700 of those babies. The lady at the checkout said I can only have 2 boxes of .22 ammo. Huh? After some help from some knowledgeable sales staff she finished the ring out.

Sorry for hoarding folks.

I wish you had come to breakfast Sticks!

Greentops

I wish I could OC with you all and come to the gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by palerider116 View Post
    I wish I could OC with you all and come to the gatherings.
    What's stopping you?

Greentops

What's stopping you?
    I cannot OC per department policy while off duty.

Oh gosh, that's just too funny, and knowing that it's a real story, well...,

Since this has gone off topic, started as off topic and I'l world famous for going off topic...I'll tell one of my mountain stories.

Once upon a time there was a Ski Resort built on a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. It was owned partly by the Webb Corporation who sent some of it's people to run it.

The General Manager was a fellow named Fred Swaney who wore Safari Jackets and proclaimed himself a great hunter.

Someone, can't remember who, told him Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep had to be checked in at a very seedy country store in Elkton.

He barely got out alive but the Swaney family has had a mounted Billy goat head since.

Back to Emu's
    that's better than the joke I like to tell about the hunting widow who insisted that her husband was going to start taking her along with him when he went deer hunting.

To make a long story short, he went and got her the whole get up, shot gun, camo gear, the "works" basically, took her out to her stand and said "This is your stand, if you see a deer walking by within range, shoot it." He then proceeded over to his stand and when he was just yards from his own stand, he heard several blasts coming from the direction of the stand his wife was at, so he started running toward where he had just left his wife.

When he finally got there, he saw his wife pointing her shot gun at a man nervously holding his hands up in the air, nodding his head and saying " Okay, Okay lady, it's your deer, it's your deer! Just let me get my saddle off of it and you can have him!"

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by palerider116 View Post
    I cannot OC per department policy while off duty.
    That shouldn't stop you. People don't always carry, some CC. It's not the guns that holds the group together.

Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    that's better than the joke I like to tell about the hunting widow who insisted that her husband was going to start taking her along with him when he went deer hunting.

To make a long story short, he went and got her the whole get up, shot gun, camo gear, the "works" basically, took her out to her stand and said "This is your stand, if you see a deer walking by within range, shoot it." He then proceeded over to his stand and when he was just yards from his own stand, he heard several blasts coming from the direction of the stand his wife was at, so he started running toward where he had just left his wife.

When he finally got there, he saw his wife pointing her shot gun at a man nervously holding his hands up in the air, nodding his head and saying " Okay, Okay lady, it's your deer, it's your deer! Just let me get my saddle off of it and you can have him!"

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    That's funny JC!

I wish you had come to breakfast Sticks!
    Well, Day'em. I didn't show up south of the Ni til about 1030. If i'd known there was sump'n going on I would have drug ma azz up earlier. I have to admit, I was slacking on seeing any OC breakfast announcements.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast