• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentops

JesterP99

You know, I am starting to wonder why I even go into Greentop anymore. I don't think I have ever really bought anything -they are so over priced. Saw a flashlight that was 30 dollars more than the highest internet price. Same with ammunition.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was going to ask about the beach situation. Suppose you are at a beach perhaps 4-500 miles away. Is there a likelihood that you could be called and told to cut your vacation short and report back? I am a retired software engineer and I know that on some projects, that could and was very well the case. In one case, a manager wanted those going on vacation to leave the name and number of the motel/hotel where we were staying just in case they had to get in touch with us. Crazy but that is the choice one makes in their chosen profession.

We were always subject to recall....although if you were 400 miles away, it was understood that you won't be there.

Sometimes we were on a 24 draft list where they could call you in on your day off.

67GT390FB

You know, I am starting to wonder why I even go into Greentop anymore. I don't think I have ever really bought anything -they are so over priced. Saw a flashlight that was 30 dollars more than the highest internet price. Same with ammunition.

and yet when your internet stores were gouging the crap out of AR prices greentop was still selling them at regular markups when the ar shipments came through the door. so there is good and bad. ask peternap he bought at least one :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
and yet when your internet stores were gouging the crap out of AR prices greentop was still selling them at regular markups when the ar shipments came through the door. so there is good and bad. ask peternap he bought at least one :)

Actually...I bought 3 over the entire emergency period:lol:

GT is right. Greentops has a set markup. What they pay plus markup is what they sell for. Walmart is cheaper on Ammo.....when they have it but I've found that Bass Pro is a few dollars more than Greentops usually.

Last week I bought Bullseye powder at BP for $24.00 a pound. I bought a few more pounds at Greentops this week at $19.00 a pound.

Colonial Shooting told me they were always 5% under Greentops but before the battle, I compared component prices and they were about 7% higher.
Apparently as a service to their customers, Greentops is buying some brass from Colonial and not even bothering to put new price tags on it. Just selling it at cost.

Greentops isn't perfect and it's not the small business it was 40 odd years ago when I started dealing with them....but they're still on top of the heap here.

As a matter of fact...we bought a Benelli there yesterday.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Actually...I bought 3 over the entire emergency period:lol:

GT is right. Greentops has a set markup. What they pay plus markup is what they sell for. Walmart is cheaper on Ammo.....when they have it but I've found that Bass Pro is a few dollars more than Greentops usually.

Last week I bought Bullseye powder at BP for $24.00 a pound. I bought a few more pounds at Greentops this week at $19.00 a pound.

Colonial Shooting told me they were always 5% under Greentops but before the battle, I compared component prices and they were about 7% higher.
Apparently as a service to their customers, Greentops is buying some brass from Colonial and not even bothering to put new price tags on it. Just selling it at cost.

Greentops isn't perfect and it's not the small business it was 40 odd years ago when I started dealing with them....but they're still on top of the heap here.

As a matter of fact...we bought a Benelli there yesterday.

I'll throw out one more BIG reason I deal with Greentops. In a word "Service". They like their customers and want to keep them.

There's no better example than today. We bought a Benelli Nova day before yesterday. Yesterday I was showing my wife how the magazine cutoff worked...or rather tried. It was like the extractor wouldn't grab the shell. I looked at the bolt and the slot on the right was empty. I figured it was a dual claw extractor. It turned out to be the ejector was missing.

We took it back today. Many stores would insist it go back to Benelli but Travis looked it and came back with a new gun. I'll be honest, it soured me on Benelli so he gave us store credit (Or a refund if we wanted, which we didn't)....with no problems at all.

We left with a new 870 and some store credit to boot.

JesterP99

They've had subsonics on and off all along but I haven't seen a CB anywhere for years.:uhoh:

Nobody has them :eek: why does anybody want 22 CB? I like them because they are as quiet as my air rifle and have twice the muzzle velocity, just what I need to plink in the backyard. But I have called everywhere and I always get the "don't have any" reply before I even finish asking them what I want.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nobody has them :eek: why does anybody want 22 CB? I like them because they are as quiet as my air rifle and have twice the muzzle velocity, just what I need to plink in the backyard. But I have called everywhere and I always get the "don't have any" reply before I even finish asking them what I want.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

They had them at the show yesterday, in fact there were some LR's too. Expensive as all get out but still there. I had a couple of bricks of LR's I was gonna do some horse trading with...but no takers.

PM Me before the next dinner if you're going, and I'll bring you a box of Aquila Sub Sonics.