• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Tale of Henrico - Chapter 2 in a Ferry Tale - Arrested for following the law

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This could not have happend to a better man. I plan on helping in more ways than one. Won't go into detail but I hope it makes a difference.

We ARE making a difference. As some prefer to remain anonymus, I will respect that, but I know who you are and in Scouser's behalf I offer a hearty, robust THANK YOU for what you do and who you are.

This merry band of brothers.........

Marco

FIFY :)

There has been much discussion as to whether the USPS rule/regulation is actually legal - don't care to be a test case though.

See that you live in Hanover.....Va?
If so check out this dinner, we'd love to have you join us:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114010-Greater-Richmond-OC-Dinner-Tues-5-14-at-7-pm

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but here just to add on:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19423472

A federal judge in Denver has allowed a lawsuit challenging the U.S. Postal Service's ban on guns in post offices to go forward.
No court in the country, he contends, has taken up whether the Second Amendment right to possess firearms extends to public areas of post offices.
The ruling could have national implications for all post offices.

BOT:
For the cause:
I got a $150 gift cert. but won't be able to attend....
http://practicalfirearmstraining.com/

Buy for $100 with the $ going to fund:
http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthr...the_#Post523630

Make funds payable to:
Virginia Legal Defense c/o Graham C.

TFred

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but here just to add on:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19423472

A federal judge in Denver has allowed a lawsuit challenging the U.S. Postal Service's ban on guns in post offices to go forward.
No court in the country, he contends, has taken up whether the Second Amendment right to possess firearms extends to public areas of post offices.
The ruling could have national implications for all post offices.
Piqued my curiosity. Apparently the case has been tossed out. [ETA: Further reading indicates that one of the two complaints in the original case was dismissed, not the entire case.]

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...islation-discussion/154314-bonidy-v-usps.html

Will keep looking for more info.

ETA: Apparently [ETA:the first part] was dismissed last September. Links on justia.com.

ETA#2: But apparently they are still trading motions...

ETA#3: Fully acknowledging this is OT for this thread... that last link from The Firing Line has some links to the most recent motions... I simply cannot tolerate reading the motions of the gun-grabbers. They are just outright liars, and it makes my head hurt and my stomach turn to knots that this is an organization of MY government doing this. Done ranting now.

TFred

Last edited:

vetsvette

Hang in there scouser. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Apologies for not visiting the site more often. This is the first time since skid mark got his problems resolved. I'm another that saw it on my VCDL Alert. Rest assured my donation will be coming forthwith and will continue as I can afford it until resolution.

MKEgal

Grapeshot said:
Henrico could contribute positively in particular ways and become the good guys.
That would be a nice change, considering the previous... difficulties... there.

There is no desire to give the opposition any idea of where this is going or how.
Oh, that's an easy one. From their perspective this is going south, pear-shaped, & terribly terribly wrong. :lol:

Grapeshot said:
Insofar as the story from the other side - that's the prosecution. Guess you'll have to wait for the trial for that.
Again, not hard to guess: "Waaah - the nasty evil dangerous person had a nasty evil dangerous gun and someone saw it and they wet their pants and he should be punished!"

skidmark said:
From someone who has been through the mill, let me assure you that your moral support is most appreciated... Knowing that there are folks out there that believe in you can be the thing that helps the most in holding on...
+1,000,000

wry762

I believe it was mentioned early in this thread that the school bus driver worked for a private school.

When the time is right, I hope that the name of the bus driver and the school are made public. If it's a public
school, then discussing the actions of the driver with the school administration might not be productive - but I
would still make the effort. If it's a private school, then I would hope that the school administration might be
more attentive to our concerns.

I used to send my son to private schools in Henrico, and to comply with the law I would remove my firearm
from its holster and place it in my truck's console before I entered the schools. If that driver had seen me, then
this thread could have been about me.

-Warren-

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I believe it was mentioned early in this thread that the school bus driver worked for a private school.

When the time is right, I hope that the name of the bus driver and the school are made public. If it's a public
school, then discussing the actions of the driver with the school administration might not be productive - but I
would still make the effort. If it's a private school, then I would hope that the school administration might be
more attentive to our concerns.

I used to send my son to private schools in Henrico, and to comply with the law I would remove my firearm
from its holster and place it in my truck's console before I entered the schools. If that driver had seen me, then
this thread could have been about me.

-Warren-

I've been putting together a video Warren, and it does name the school. It's public information. I'll also name the driver but I doubt I'll put up much personal information about him. That may come out but at this point, unlike Skidmark's case, the mainstream news didn't carry anything about Scouser so in all fairness, I'll just let that rest. It wouldn't add anything to the case.

The Central committee reviewed the beginning yesterday, so expect something next week.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been putting together a video Warren...............................so expect something next week.
The previews were great - ordering a very large drink to go with all of the popcorn.

popcorn.gif

wry762

I've been putting together a video Warren, and it does name the school. It's public information. I'll also name the driver but I doubt I'll put up much personal information about him. That may come out but at this point, unlike Skidmark's case, the mainstream news didn't carry anything about Scouser so in all fairness, I'll just let that rest. It wouldn't add anything to the case.

The Central committee reviewed the beginning yesterday, so expect something next week.

Ah. Well, I wouldn't talk to the school until after Scouser's issue was resolved... but I'm a team player, so I won't
take action at all until I've cleared it with his team. :)

I had to raise the issue, because private school tuition in this area starts at around $4K/year, and goes up to $10K.
If the school decided to take a position in favor of the bus driver, then I would guess that some of the parents might
decide to send their kids to a different school...

-Warren-

2a4all

Pick up a little tidbit yesterday - wish I could remember where I got it :)

It seems that Henrico officers are offered off-duty moonlighting jobs based on their rank and time in grade with the better jobs going to those that have accumulated the most status points. Well you say, nothing too strange there.

Ahh, but I'm told that those "sweet plums" are not assigned by anyone in the Henrico PD but by some party (unnamed here) elsewhere in the county bureaucracy.........the Good Old Boy system is alive and well.

Now it seems to me that if you want to keep on the good side of your godfather/benefactor you might look to selectively enforce some of the laws. Maybe even tighten up on "those people" that dare to carry guns. Possible? I think so maybe - at least it strongly hints that someone other than law enforcement might be pulling the puppet's strings.

It also seems that the officer responsible for this most recent travesty has a number of similar positions - have to wonder whether he is maybe working them simultaneously - maximizing the return on his time by charging more than one employer for the "same clocked" in time. If so that wouldn't seem ethical, maybe even illegal.

The deeper we dig into this chapter of the Ferry Tale, the less potable the water :uhoh:

PS - just had a thought. Wouldn't it be something if the person assigning this "extra curricular duty" were found to be sharing in the monetary benefits derived :eek:
Since these are off-duty employments (by private entities?), why would the PD be involved at all? There probably is some sort of network that does "control" these "opportunities", but in the private sector, they're called employment agencies. Are you implying that somehow these are "public positions" and/or that these guys are paid with public funds?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
2a4all;1937400--snip-- Are you implying that somehow these are "public positions" and/or that these guys are paid with public funds?[/QUOTE said:
Don't see how one can be a paid public employee and a private contractor at the same time (not saying that is the case), but some of the actors here seem to have "dual citizenship."

2a4all

Tuesday, April 9th was a pleasant spring evening, staying light longer now with daylight saving time. Anticipating a pleasant, relaxing dinner with friends and looking forward to a new job the following week, scouser embarked on a journey that would dramatically change his life.

Oh the dinner went well and the conversation was lively amongst friends with common interests. All agreed that these informal gatherings seemed to conclude to soon. For Scouser the evening didn't exactly end there though. The nightmare began 48 hours later when he was arrested at home, cuffed and transported to jail for brandishing and held for almost 13 hours.

Got your attention yet? Hope so, follow these details.

A private school bus driver apparently saw him at about 6:30 PM Tues. in his vehicle moving a pistol from right hand/passanger side glove box to center of dash glove box where he has a built in holster. Then reported it (probably next day) to his school security officer (moonlighting) friend who is a Henrico LEO. Henrico LEO/security officer waits 2 days until he is back on his county job and convinces a magistrate to issue a warrant for brandishing - never investigated it, never interviewed Scourcer. LEO had no personal knowledge.

The magistrate would not release him until a judge saw him the next day. Then released on personal recognizance bond and told to not leave the state - Scourcer is a truck driver. Dan Hawes got that lifted at Motions Hearing. Commonwealth Att'y. was visibly surprised that it wasn't being plead down and didn't seem pleased with some of Dan's requests.

This has also cost Scourcer that new job, he was to have started on last Tuesday. He is the sole bread winner with a wife and handsome young son. Now he is unemployed (yes looking diligently) and faced with significant legal expenses. How dare he carry a gun - well you can't beat the ride........BET ME!

Time to rise up and be counted ladies and gentleman - there but for the grace of God, go you or I. This kind of action against everyday good people must stop. We cannot let him stand alone - I will not.

More following on how you can help.
Where was scouser's car when the school bus driver observed this act? Near the school entrance, but off school grounds (I hope so)? Did he (scouser) then proceed onto school grounds with his firearm "secured in a closed container"? Are the driver and the moonlighting LEO employed by the same private school? Just wondering why the school bus driver was so concerned about a guy having a gun in his car.

Possible conversation between driver and LEO:
Driver: "I saw a guy bring a gun in his car onto school property last night."
LEO: "How do you know he had a gun?"
Driver: "Because I saw him putting it into the console of his car."

TFred

Where was scouser's car when the school bus driver observed this act? Near the school entrance, but off school grounds (I hope so)? Did he (scouser) then proceed onto school grounds with his firearm "secured in a closed container"? Are the driver and the moonlighting LEO employed by the same private school? Just wondering why the school bus driver was so concerned about a guy having a gun in his car.

Very important information:

According to the information provided earlier in this thread (or perhaps the original?), the "incident" happened at a major intersection between two busy streets in Henrico County. The fact that it was a school bus driver, while perhaps physically allowing them to "see" what may not have been able to be seen from a car, has absolutely nothing to do with any of the details of this case.

TFred

Last edited:

2a4all

Don't see how one can be a paid public employee and a private contractor at the same time (not saying that is the case), but some of the actors here seem to have "dual citizenship."
Why not? Just because you're a cop (teacher, firefighter) doesn't preclude you from being employed and paid by a private entity in any capacity, barring some sort of restrictive employment contract clause. Usually can't do the 2nd job while on duty in the 1st, though.

2a4all

Very important information:

According to the information provided earlier in this thread (or perhaps the original?), the "incident" happened at a major intersection between two busy streets in Henrico County. The fact that it was a school bus driver, while perhaps physically allowing them to "see" what may not have been able to be seen from a car, has absolutely nothing to do with any of the details of this case.

TFred
Thanks for clarifying that. TCIITM.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ah. Well, I wouldn't talk to the school until after Scouser's issue was resolved... but I'm a team player, so I won't
take action at all until I've cleared it with his team. :)

I had to raise the issue, because private school tuition in this area starts at around $4K/year, and goes up to $10K.
If the school decided to take a position in favor of the bus driver, then I would guess that some of the parents might
decide to send their kids to a different school...

-Warren-

This is probably the 3rd most expensive school in the area Warren.
That will come out this week.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

School bus was at/near a major intersection in Henrico County - apparently traveling to or from an event. "Secured in closed container" has nothing to do with it - he could have it anywhere in his vehicle or on his person that he choose.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Why not? Just because you're a cop (teacher, firefighter) doesn't preclude you from being employed and paid by a private entity in any capacity, barring some sort of restrictive employment contract clause. Usually can't do the 2nd job while on duty in the 1st, though.
That was intended partially tongue-in-cheek, but there are certain questions being asked as to were all the T's crossed & all of the i's dotted.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Cops historically moonlight as "private security". All those State Police troopers sitting on the side of the road at the beginning of construction areas are "off duty" at the time. VSP does get reimbursement for the use of the vehicles. Local cops are used the same way, with the same/similar reimbursement scheme for the vehicles.

Local cops/deputies are hired to provide "private security" for businesses, as well as for public, semi-public, and private events. Each locality has its own policy & procedure for assigning a cop to the job. Often what appears in policy/prodedure does not match what happens in real life. In some localities there is a requirement that cops be hired to provide security for certain events (for example, where alcohol is sold/served). Ask me to give my rant about "off duty" cops being assigned to essentially enforce the ABC laws.

Cops get a special pass that allows them to bypass all of the DCJS certification and licensing standards that true private security companies must comply with. Ask me to give my rant about conflict of interest and restraint of trade.

Most often the policy states that while moonlighting the private employer is responsible for worker's comp insurance. But the moment the "off duty" cop exercises their law enforcement powers they magically go off the private clock and onto the public clock. If injured while law enforcing their Worker's Comp comes from the PD. Thus my rant that there is no such thing as an "off duty" cop working private security. That sort of conflicts with your "Usually can't do the 2nd job while on duty in the 1st, though", doesn't it?

Yes, cops hired as private security is a dirty business all the way around.

stay safe.

2a4all

Cops historically moonlight as "private security". All those State Police troopers sitting on the side of the road at the beginning of construction areas are "off duty" at the time. VSP does get reimbursement for the use of the vehicles. Local cops are used the same way, with the same/similar reimbursement scheme for the vehicles.

Local cops/deputies are hired to provide "private security" for businesses, as well as for public, semi-public, and private events. Each locality has its own policy & procedure for assigning a cop to the job. Often what appears in policy/prodedure does not match what happens in real life. In some localities there is a requirement that cops be hired to provide security for certain events (for example, where alcohol is sold/served). Ask me to give my rant about "off duty" cops being assigned to essentially enforce the ABC laws.

Cops get a special pass that allows them to bypass all of the DCJS certification and licensing standards that true private security companies must comply with. Ask me to give my rant about conflict of interest and restraint of trade.

Most often the policy states that while moonlighting the private employer is responsible for worker's comp insurance. But the moment the "off duty" cop exercises their law enforcement powers they magically go off the private clock and onto the public clock. If injured while law enforcing their Worker's Comp comes from the PD. Thus my rant that there is no such thing as an "off duty" cop working private security. That sort of conflicts with your "Usually can't do the 2nd job while on duty in the 1st, though", doesn't it?

Yes, cops hired as private security is a dirty business all the way around.

stay safe.
Doesn't seem to conflict; s/he is either working for one or the other, not both. It appears that the LEO's employment status automatically changes based on his/her action. If the LEO took action to intervene in a crime while on the way home from work and was injured, the PD would pick up the WC tab, but wouldn't s/he automatically "go on the clock" as well? If s/he were injured while not law enforcing on the private clock (e.g. sat down for a donut break, and the chair broke), then the WC claim would come out of the private employer's pocket.