• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Tale of Henrico - Chapter 2 in a Ferry Tale - Arrested for following the law

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As you can see, this is my first post.

Just sent in my "2 cents worth" via Paypal. As the saying goes: "there, but for the Grace of God, go I".

Thanks to all of the movers and shakers on this site.

FYI, I learned of this tragedy as a member of VCDL when I saw it show up on the VCDL "feed".

I'm a life member of whatever 2A org "will have me as a member" (to paraphrase Groucho): NRA, GOA, VCDL, CCRKBA, etc. but I don't have time to participate in venues like this on a regular basis. If it weren't for PVC's (and helpers') tireless efforts at VCDL, I probably would not have learned of this effort. Actually I caught his act Wednesday night in Cville - wish he had mentioned this issue then and I would have been on board sooner as I suspect others in his audience might have been.

Is there a way for this org to send out an "alert" via email when an important effort such as this becomes necessary? A call to arms as it were.

I'd like to just make one more comment. This incident, while egregious, is an isolated event in VA. My son is a LEO and I know the kind of training he gets and we all know there are bad apples in every basket. However, we are very lucky to be able to exercise our 2A rights here in VA (at least right now), where - having moved here from the Northeast - I had virtually NONE. Everyone's 2A rights is being attacked at the federal level and the Supreme Court is currently only one vote on the 2A side (Heller, etc.). IMO, everyone who believes in liberty and the 2A should be pushing for a federal law that permits OC and CC as part of the US Code. For that matter knife laws ought to be part of it as well.

I hope I haven't violated any posting rules with my comments regarding my donation.

Thanks again

Welcome to the site!
Actually, it isn't an isolated incident although it's not as common as it used to be.
That doesn't mean it's a slur on all LEO's. Most are decent people, a few bad ones and a few great's

The problem is more in the Administration of a few departments that don't want guns and encourage and reward officers for bending the law.

In this case, it's Henrico and there are some bad officers there and the Administration is about as bad as it gets....but I know many Henrico Officers that won't go with the plan. They enforce the laws, no more and no less.
I take my hat of to every one!

Soon, you'll hear about two other Venues and cases that are problems.

Last edited:

Fed-Up

New to the forum but glad I saw the VCDL alert. I am currently deployed and continue to be sicked by what is happening back at home:( I am a little geographically separated right now or I would defiantly show my support in person but I hope the little money I could send will help a little. Stay strong brother and I hope you see from this thread that you are not alone. I hope this will at the very least highlight the abuses of power in some departments in VA. God bless you and your family thought this trial but hopefully it will be over soon.

JohnM15A

I donated but was wondering if there are other ways I could help? This could easily be me in those shoes. Are there any updates or are the gears turning slowly? I would love to hear the stories on both sides...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I donated but was wondering if there are other ways I could help? This could easily be me in those shoes. Are there any updates or are the gears turning slowly? I would love to hear the stories on both sides...

Updating on this thread as new information is made available though Scouser's attorney. Mostly technical stuff preceeding the scheduled court date of June 26th going on behind the scenes right now.

Insofar as the story from the other side - that's the prosecution. Guess you'll have to wait for the trial for that. :p

There are some things we have dug out of the quicksand where they attempted to bury them, but this is neither the time nor place to go on record with that. Suffice it to say that everything is being examined very carefully.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You will get both sides John. As Grapeshot said, it will be released as it's approved for release. I have part of it with approval we will be telling soon.

TFred

Just a little reminder... we know for a fact that revealing too much about litigation in process can be very bad for those involved. Something that the enemies of our friends can, have and will use against them.

Patience is in order, and I suspect will be well rewarded at the appropriate time.

TFred

Mickermack

Never talk to police

I will be sending $ right after this post as it's important we all help our brothers and sisters exercise our rights.

I concede I don't know the details and I haven't read all 10 pages of posts but this smells like a situation where you try to be honest and helpful to an LEO and it's used against you. Never, ever talk to the police. We need this education as much as we need firearm training if not more. Great video on youtube makes a complete and convincing argument better than I ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I will be sending $ right after this post as it's important we all help our brothers and sisters exercise our rights.

I concede I don't know the details and I haven't read all 10 pages of posts but this smells like a situation where you try to be honest and helpful to an LEO and it's used against you. Never, ever talk to the police. We need this education as much as we need firearm training if not more. Great video on youtube makes a complete and convincing argument better than I ever could.

You may be assured that incidents like this are checked out and the veracity of the alleged wrongs are vetted before anybody starts asking others for monetary and moral support. Scouser is a known entity both here on OCDO and in meatspace.

My situation was the same. It was easy for folks to believe I did what I said I did, but nearly impossible for them to believe I did what I was alleged to have done.

Most of us are in the same situation - we have a number of people who know us well enough to presume they can guess at our behavior, but fully believe in "trust, but vereify".

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

John,

From someone who has been through the mill, let me assure you that your moral support is most appreciated. There are days when in spite of all the evidence being stacked up to show you never did what was alleged things can look dark and bleak. Knowing that there are folks out there that believe in you can be the thing that helps the most in holding on until the gavel falls right after hearing "Not guilty".

As this case progresses there may be requests for concrete physical action. The truth is we (The Central Committee and I'm sure Scouser) are hoping that it will not become necessary, but knowing the troops are available and ready to be assembled makes the process a bit easier to endure.

stay safe.

TFred

Always good to be reminded of this, but boy, are you in for a surprise.

The facts of this case have nothing to do with someone's poor choice of words or actions with a LEO. I feel quite certain your mind will be blown, and you just might be back to send in even more $$s than you first thought appropriate.

TFred

ETA: If I had to describe this situation in one short phrase, it would be "a conspiracy to violently rape the integrity of the justice system in the Commonwealth of Virginia in order to make life absolutely miserable for a law-abiding citizen who happens to own a gun."

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
it's important we all help our brothers and sisters exercise our rights.

That's what makes this group great and why it gets results rather than just make noise!

I love watching these things grow. There is a waitress that serves us at one of our meeting places. She has gotten involved, quietly, even though she doesn't own a gun and her brother is a VB police officer. She just took it upon herself to help.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Always good to be reminded of this, but boy, are you in for a surprise.

The facts of this case have nothing to do with someone's poor choice of words or actions with a LEO. I feel quite certain your mind will be blown, and you just might be back to send in even more $$s than you first thought appropriate.

TFred

ETA: If I had to describe this situation in one short phrase, it would be "a conspiracy to violently rape the integrity of the justice system in the Commonwealth of Virginia in order to make life absolutely miserable for a law-abiding citizen who happens to own a gun."

I remember well the extent VDOT and Surry went to convict Skidmark. Even after filing an FOIA and Dan Hawes issuing a subpoena for the VDOT tapes, they were destroyed in direct violation of the Va Records Retention Act.

Later they actually lied about their policy but here they admitted destroying the tapes.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Haven't been on here in awhile and this is the first thread I read (courtesy of the VCDL alert). Donation sent along with my best wishes.
S/F,
Scott

Scott,

Welcome back to OCDO and for having Scouser's back.

PM me if there is stuff you need and I will see about getting it rounded up and shipped. We've got your back, too.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks to all that are responding both with needed funds and the appreciated emotional support. Know that both do make a difference!

Keeping this up front:
Paper and electronic checks payable to:
Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, VA 20137

For Account of Graham C.

or

rlbellco72

I will keep this brother and his family in my prayers. It gladdens me that we have forums such as opencarry.com and orginizations like the VCDL to speak up for us in situations like this.

MichaelSR

Where does that fit? Yesterday I went to my local post office to drop off a few letters and left my sidearm in my truck. When I returned to my truck, I removed my gun from my glove box and while standing on the driver's side with door opened, I reholstered. Was that brandishing? I hardly think so but apparently by Henrico standards it would have been.

Sorry, but might be worse. Carry on Postal Property is in violation of Federal Law. Kinda falls in the class of bringing your skeet gun to elementary school, :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will keep this brother and his family in my prayers. It gladdens me that we have forums such as opencarry.org and orginizations like the VCDL to speak up for us in situations like this.

FIFY :)

Where does that fit? Yesterday I went to my local post office to drop off a few letters and left my sidearm in my truck. When I returned to my truck, I removed my gun from my glove box and while standing on the driver's side with door opened, I reholstered. Was that brandishing? I hardly think so but apparently by Henrico standards it would have been.

Sorry, but might be worse. Carry on Postal Property is in violation of Federal Law. Kinda falls in the class of bringing your skeet gun to elementary school, :eek:

There has been much discussion as to whether the USPS rule/regulation is actually legal - don't care to be a test case though.

See that you live in Hanover.....Va?
If so check out this dinner, we'd love to have you join us:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114010-Greater-Richmond-OC-Dinner-Tues-5-14-at-7-pm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is humbling when our service personnel step up to the plate to help in such as this, when they are so far away from family and love one's defending/protecting the freedoms we so dearly cherish.

My hat's off to all of you!