• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at The Diamond?

JesterP99

What's new on this? I'm going to the diamond tonightand need to know if I can carry cc/oc. The website says no weapons.

The Truth

I've had 'unoffial' season tickets for about 3 years now (my wife and I know the medical trainer so we get tix in the friends and family section for free whenever we want) and if it is posted, you would have to be pretty lucky to catch a security guy with his guard down to get through that gate open carrying. Concealed carrying you could probably pretty easily get through as I've never been patted down in 3 years.

I have never open carried at a game, however, so I can't attest to being able to get away with it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Weapons: For the safety of all guests, pocket knives and weapons of any kind are not permitted at The Diamond. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. Guests wishing to enter the stadium for a game or event consent to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will be denied admittance or may be ejected. No refunds or exchanges will be allowed in such an event.
http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t3410&ymd=20100427&content_id=9610266&vkey=team1

Repeater

Safety?

Weapons:For the safety of all guests, pocket knives and weapons of any kind are not permitted at The Diamond. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. Guests wishing to enter the stadium for a game or event consent to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will be denied admittance or may be ejected. No refunds or exchanges will be allowed in such an event.
http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t3410&ymd=20100427&content_id=9610266&vkey=team1

Practical translation:

For the safety of all [strike]guests[/strike] criminals, ...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
shame on me

I let this one get away from me.

http://www.rmaonline.org/

Our Mission

The mission of the RMA is to build and operate a variety of public facilities and offer public services, especially transportation related, within the Richmond metropolitan area, each of which is operated and financed primarily by user fees. Our efforts are dedicated to the following constituents:

To our customers, we will provide safe, convenient, efficient facilities and excellent customer service while maintaining the lowest feasible costs.

To our employees, we will promote a safe and pleasant work environment, provide an opportunity to advance according to their abilities and fairly compensate based on performance.

To our bondholders, we will operate in a financially sound and prudent manner and meet all debt payments and other legally imposed requirements to insure the protection of their interests. Our mission can be best accomplished through the sound management of existing projects and consideration of additional projects as approved by the City of Richmond and the Counties of Chesterfield and Henrico. These projects are financed primarily through user fee schedules which offer the lowest possible costs to the public, fairly compensate employees, and offer financial safety to bondholders.

About The Diamond

http://www.rmaonline.org/aboutdiamond.html

blah, blah, blah

While a regional solution on a new or renovated stadium is yet to be resolved, the Authority will continue to partner with the Squirrels to provide a safe, family-friendly environment at The Diamond for baseball fans and player alike.
(emphasis added)

The Diamond belongs to the RMA. RMA is a unit of local government. The "rule" violates preemption.

A letter (email, actually) shall go out forthwith.

stay safe.

Repeater

The Diamond belongs to the RMA. RMA is a unit of local government. The "rule" violates preemption.

A letter (email, actually) shall go out forthwith.

stay safe.

Well, things change. Because of a bill introduced by Delegate Loupassi, the RMA has changed, and it will divest of the The Diamond in December:

Aware RMA Going Through Transition?
Are you aware that the Richmond Metropolitan Authority is going through a major transition in 2014?

The long political battle ends with the christening of the Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority and equal representation among Richmond and its neighbors, Chesterfield and Henrico counties."

Because of those changes, as of July 1, "the board of the RMTA will include five representatives from each jurisdiction, as well as an appointee from the Commonwealth Transportation Board. Each jurisdiction will have the option of appointing an elected official to the board, on which none serve now."

The organization has already shed the responsibilities of a handful of parking decks in the city -- two in Carytown and another at 2nd and Franklin streets in downtown -- and will relinquish responsibility for The Diamond in December.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, things change. Because of a bill introduced by Delegate Loupassi, the RMA has changed, and it will divest of the The Diamond in December:

Aware RMA Going Through Transition?
And who or what will this new group be?

If comprised of representatives from local municipalities, it would still be an authority and subject to preemption.

I can't see the Flying Squirrels buying the Diamond - poor return. Most local investors will use the same litmus test.

Repeater

And who or what will this new group be?

If comprised of representatives from local municipalities, it would still be an authority and subject to preemption.

I can't see the Flying Squirrels buying the Diamond - poor return. Most local investors will use the same litmus test.

Well ... the city itself:

City set to own Diamond in less than a year
With a potential new baseball stadium on deck, the city has closed a deal for the Diamond.

The Richmond City Council on Jan. 13 voted to allow the city to acquire the aging baseball stadium from the Richmond Metropolitan Authority, a deal that could be a precursor to massive redevelopment on the Boulevard and a new ballpark.

The city will take ownership of the Diamond when the Flying Squirrels’ stadium-use agreement runs out at the end of 2014.

The acquisition was authorized in two separate ordinances, each approved by an 8-0 vote. The first accepted a release of easement from the RMA for parking lots surrounding the Diamond. The second gave the green light for the real estate transfer from the RMA to the city.

Lock ... Stock ... Barrel

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I have been rather busy and unable to follow up, but I emailed the GM about this a few months ago. Short version, he firmly believes that the Squirrels can ban guns and his lawyers don't seem to think that they, and the RMA need to follow the law.

I am going to follow up with this again.

Lyndsy Simon

Hmm...

I've never had much of an interest in baseball, but my daughter loved T-ball this summer. I'm sure she'd enjoy taking in a game.

When are we going?