• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry Today

eye95

He had an ambiguous ccnjunction: "...do not argue, ask for signs,..."

Does the not apply to the second item in the list? I think so. I think he is saying NOT to ask for signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

I only have 80 or so followers & not sure how many might be from the Columbus area but I've tweeted the event as well. Sure wish I could get out there, sounds like it would be a good time but by the time I left work and drove there it would be over.

If any are OH carriers, share with them the eye95 twitter feed. It is only used to post carry events such as this. Folks who subscribe will get a small number of messages about the events. We won't bombard them with anything else.

<o>

MyWifeSaidYes

Maverick9 said:

If questioned in stores, if told to leave, do not argue, ask for signs, tell the manager or his designee it's legal, be polite, leave your groceries, goods, food on the table and just leave.

In other words, do not:
-argue
-ask for signs
-tell the manager or his designee it's legal

but DO:
-be polite
-leave your groceries or goods in the store
-leave your food on the table
-just leave

Maverick9 said:
...See if you can remember to activate your recorder (other times leave it on all day).

Buy a digital voice recorder that can be left on all day. Turn it on when leaving the house. They come in handy for other things you may hear throughout the day, like rude waiters or good jokes.

Maverick9 said:
...don't be a target, dress cleanly.

Two things...

1. Dress how you want.

2. In some areas, dressing cleanly will make you a target.

Rusty Young Man

In other words, do not:
-argue
-ask for signs
-tell the manager or his designee it's legal

but DO:
-be polite
-leave your groceries or goods in the store
-leave your food on the table
-just leave

Agree. A phone call to the higher-ups will usually rectify the situation if an overzealous, leftist employee decides to implement an anti RKBA policy on their own.

Buy a digital voice recorder that can be left on all day. Turn it on when leaving the house. They come in handy for other things you may hear throughout the day, like rude waiters or good jokes.

Agree. Buying a DVD pack and a DVD recorder for your computer makes storage of these files much easier.

Two things...

1. Dress how you want.

I think he meant to say "tastefully". As in, don't dress with a shirt that says "F#CK THE POLICE" (I saw one not two weeks ago), don't wear something that promotes senseless violence, etc.

MyWifeSaidYes

MyWifeSaidYes said:
Two things...

1. Dress how you want.

I think he meant to say "tastefully". As in, don't dress with a shirt that says "F#CK THE POLICE" (I saw one not two weeks ago), don't wear something that promotes senseless violence, etc.

I understand the spirit of the advice. I reject the substance.

If you want to wear a t-shirt that says, "Some people play the Knockout Game. I play the Shoot The Attacker In The Head Game.", wear it.

Dress how you want.

If that includes looking like you just came off the set of "Duck Dynasty", tripped and landed face-first in a pig sty, stumbled into a running weed whacker and THEN decide to open carry, do so.

IF that gets you some attention from the police, that is the part that is wrong...not your choice of clothing.

Suggesting a restriction on how one dresses is suggesting a restriction on their 1st Amendment rights of expression.

It is your actions that should count. Not your clothes.

eye95

You will be judged by how you dress, whether or not you think such a judgment is appropriate. It is wise to consider how others will judge you and to act in a way that creates desired outcomes.

For that reason, I dress "tastefully" and hope that others do too.

That is not to say you cannot dress how you wish. Everyone has the right to act stupidly.

That being said, I DO think it is appropriate to make judgments based on how someone chooses to dress. It was their choice. It reveals their mindset. Not perfectly, but if you don't have much information to go on, use what you have.

If someone wore the t-shirt you suggest in my presence, I'd think him a trigger-happy nutjob and get the hell away from him. I don't want to be caught in his indiscriminate gunfire, and I don't want anyone mistakenly thinking that my carry in his presence somehow endorses his idiocy.

<O>

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Dress and demeanor can play a part in how people perceive you. But, I can tell you from experience, if you are going to be harassed your dress and demeanor counts for nothing; you are going to be harassed.

eye95

If a cop zeroes in on your gun, you're right; that is all his tunnel-vision will see.

However, this isn't just about how cops see you (and I have little doubt that there are some cops out there who might've ignored the gun if it weren't for manner of dress). Your dress also affects how the public perceives carry.

Dress well, and someone you encounter is more likely to think, "I guess carry is not all that abnormal." Dress in a manner that provokes, and folks you run across are more likely to think, "Another nutjob with a gun. We need more laws."

<o>

Rusty Young Man

I understand everyone has the Right to express themselves as they wish, but since one's appearance conveys a certain message, one should consider what message their style of dress conveys.
If I want to present myself as a punk of some sort, I would probably put on really baggy, sagging pants that keep trying to fall off and look like I'm carrying the results of a "tactical drop". If I want to pass myself off as an artsy-type guy, I'd probably dress in some kind of colorful silk vest (I think that's the new trend). If I choose to present myself as a rugged individual, I may choose to dress in a worn get-up (maybe like Wolverine?:lol:).
The manner in which you dress is the manner in which you wish to be perceived: dress like a punk to be thought of as a punk, dress in a suit to be thought of as a lawyer-type, dress in a kilt to be seen as a Scotsman (I've kilts on my mind, and I will be buying one in the near future).
Why did the Civil Rights movement begin with Rosa Parks and not with other individuals discriminated against on the buses? Besides age (equated to maturity, on could argue), she dressed in a way that conveyed "harmless, law-abiding, little old lady".

Werz

If a cop zeroes in on your gun, you're right; that is all his tunnel-vision will see.

However, this isn't just about how cops see you (and I have little doubt that there are some cops out there who might've ignored the gun if it weren't for manner of dress). Your dress also affects how the public perceives carry.

Dress well, and someone you encounter is more likely to think, "I guess carry is not all that abnormal." Dress in a manner that provokes, and folks you run across are more likely to think, "Another nutjob with a gun. We need more laws."
Exactly. Present yourself like a d-bag, and you will be treated like a d-bag. That is an issue of human nature. Even police officers have broad latitude in how they can treat you without overtly violating your rights. You get what you pay for.

flhrci

I'm in Columbus often and have family in Westerville.

We can do a lunch or dinner while OC'ing to help get you used to it.

There is a meet & greet coming up in December on the east side of Columbus.

I'm sure you would be welcome to attend. It's at the Hometown Buffet on Chantry Dr.

Can't make this one as I work at night. If there is a weekend one some time I would like to do that.

David

flhrci

Great advice in this thread! I have gotten myself a voice recorder and good retention holster, and now a CCW license to so I can carry in the car legally. What a hassle that is to put the gun away to drive around!

I am not carrying that much because my work site is posted so there isn't much point. Although a lot of the time I stop at Kroger and or the gas station at night and wish I had my pistol with me. I am considering keeping it in my truck while at work and getting it out for the 20 minute drive home as the parking lot is not posted. Not sure what I want to do that way.

Thanks for the advice and I plan to get on here more often.

David

commonsense1776

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this whole open carry thing. In my opinion, people with openly displayed weapons are not there to assert their rights. They are there to feel important and intimidate others. And that, in turn, is going to provide anti-firearm critics, and those who may be on the fence, with more evidence that additional regulation is needed.

Hareuhal

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this whole open carry thing. In my opinion, people with openly displayed weapons are not there to assert their rights. They are there to feel important and intimidate others. And that, in turn, is going to provide anti-firearm critics, and those who may be on the fence, with more evidence that additional regulation is needed.

Good for you.
So you registered on an open carry forum just for fun? That's cute.

I wish I had some Troll-Be-Gone...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mobiushky

Luckily reality isn't constrained to your opinion and therefore we can all go on about our day not bothering to care if you approve. Just out of curiosity sake, you mention things that are "going to" happen but don't really explain your inside track on 100% accurate soothsaying. Or was that your opinion as well.

The problem is, you mention your opinions as if that is the factual description of what someone else thinks. Maybe you should have started by asking others their reasons to be sure your opinions were valid. I can only speak for myself, but I can unequivocally state that I do not open carry to feel important or to intimidate others. So, being that in my case your opinion is wrong, I'd say you are not 100% right. I open carry for a variety of reasons. I appreciate the easier access to my protection that open carry affords me. I sometimes am in places where I cannot carry at all and being able to slide my EDC onto my side after leaving is much more convenient than trying to disrobe in public while attaching my IWB holster. I also believe that it is my right and I choose at times to assert that right. Oh wait, you're opinion doesn't allow that to be possible. Sorry, unfortunately for you, that's actually one of the reasons. In fact, as I survey the reasons I have for open carry, none of them fit your opinion. So I guess I'll just ignore your opinion in favor of reality.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Last edited:

RugarRev

///SNIP//...In my opinion, people with openly displayed weapons are not there to assert their rights. They are there to feel important and intimidate others...//SNIP//.

Sorry to butt in, I know how folks hate it when someone from another state intrudes into a 'local' conversation, but...aren't you self-projecting? Just a little bit?

Back on topic: Welcome to OCDO CommonSense1776, stick around, open your eyes and unstop your ears, knock and it will be opened, and all that. There is a wealth of knowledge and "commonsense" available to you here. Use it wisely...

Last edited: