• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry Today

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Sadly yes. As much as I had my hopes set on being able to open carry a pistol, I came across the law on purchasing or furnishing a handgun. I wish there was a away around it, legally of course. Anyways, yes, I plan to OC a rifle. However, I am intimidated by it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
You can open carry if you are with a parent or guardian.

Track down/PM "MyWifeSaidYes." He can fill you in.

dominic22

My father is against owning weapons, or being near them. I sat down with him and explained to him that I want a firearm because it's my right to have one, and it's also my right to protect myself, my loves ones, and my property.

I then explained to him that I want to open carry (at the time I was unaware that there was NO way I could have a handgun) a handgun, and that too is my right (to open carry).

Do you have any suggestions on how I can find locals who open carry? I want to open carry a rifle, I'm just a bit nervous and would like to maybe open carry with locals.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What part of Ohio do you live in?????

Also, protecting your property is a nono.

It would be wise to find someone in your area to educate you before you carry. And yes, you may want to do it with a group first.

dominic22

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I could've sworn that I backspace the "protecting my property" part.

The only time I ever plan on using my weapon in a defensive way is if my life or my families life is in imminent danger. But yes, as you and many others can easily see, I am in fact very uneducated and have no experience with firearms.

However, I plan on taking safety courses. I also plan on becoming educated with the laws, and understand what those laws mean.

I do realize that one mistake could be result in a loss of life.

I'm not trying to be someone who has a weapon and feels on top of the world and are ready to "defend" their life. I enjoy looking at statistics, but being a negative one isn't on my agenda.

commonsense1776

"The worst part is that this poster says he's from my home town."

Definition: Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchange.

Apparently, since I live in the central Ohio area I am not entitled to a different opinion(?).

I now understand how Dick Metcalf must feel.

MyWifeSaidYes

Dominic22-

Welcome to the forum! At the very, very top of the page, towards the right, you should see "My Profile".

Go there and add in a city or county where you live. Even "SW Ohio" is better than just "Ohio". You may find people offer to walk with you.

If that person is a "responsible adult", you may open carry a handgun while they teach you how to open carry.

I'm available in, around and between the Columbus and Logan areas.

Also, are you available to attend the Gun Rights Across America walk at the statehouse in Columbus on Sunday, January 19th? Here is the Facebook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/659398504099951

dominic22

Hey commonsense, I wasn't trying to come off as uptight or anything. How I worded that does sound a bit cocky

I just simply meant that my intentions for wanting a firearm were good intentions, versus those who have a much sinister reason.

MyWifeSaidYes thank you for helping me out. I appreciate that.

I would be able to attend, however I currently do not have my firearm yet.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

commonsense1776 said:
I'm sorry but I'm not buying this whole open carry thing. In my opinion, people with openly displayed weapons are not there to assert their rights. They are there to feel important and intimidate others. And that, in turn, is going to provide anti-firearm critics, and those who may be on the fence, with more evidence that additional regulation is needed.

commonsense1776 said:
...Apparently, since I live in the central Ohio area I am not entitled to a different opinion(?)...

You make a blanket statement that all open carriers are NOT asserting their rights, but merely want to feel important and intimidate others.

You continue by indicating that open carry will result in additional regulation.

And you do this on a forum that supports and promotes open carry.

So yes, I am ashamed that I have to exist in the same general region as you, but at no point have I or would I try to stifle your opinion.

Change your opinion, yes. Stifle it, no.

And trying to compare yourself to Dick Metcalf? How many years have you been publishing pro-gun articles before you adapted your anti-open carry attitude?

[Immature comments proactively deleted for the sake of new forum user dominic22. Something about him thinking he's a Dick Metcalf, but only being half right.]

MyWifeSaidYes

<rant>

Dick Metcalf wrote, “The question is, when does regulation become infringement?”

In my opinion, the right answer is "As soon as it starts."

I don't have a copy of the U.S. Constitution in front of me right now. Would everybody out there do a quick search and find out how many rights that document says "shall not be infringed"? How about we don't regulate JUST those rights with that particular clause.

Mr. Metcalf has also said, “Compromise is a bad word these days. People think it means giving up your principles.”

Well, no. It means giving up your rights.

There is NO problem with compromising. The problem is that anti-gun groups want to keep doing it. Over, and over, again.

If we compromise down the middle, we end up with 50% of what we started with, right? The next time we compromise, we also have 50% of what we started with, right?

Wrong.

We now have 25% of what we ORIGINALLY started with. Then the anti-gunners want to compromise again. And again.

Quickly, we are left with less than 10% of what we had to start. So, yes. Compromise is a bad word.

When a long-time pro-gun person says the things that Dick Metcalf said, the anti-gun groups simply see that as a chink in our armor and it strengthens their resolve.

And THAT is unconscionable.

-MyWifeSaidYes
January 5, 2014

</rant>

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Dominic22-

Welcome to the forum! At the very, very top of the page, towards the right, you should see "My Profile".

Go there and add in a city or county where you live. Even "SW Ohio" is better than just "Ohio". You may find people offer to walk with you.

If that person is a "responsible adult", you may open carry a handgun while they teach you how to open carry.

I'm available in, around and between the Columbus and Logan areas.

Also, are you available to attend the Gun Rights Across America walk at the statehouse in Columbus on Sunday, January 19th? Here is the Facebook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/659398504099951
I don't do facebook, but I notice the event is Sunday, January 19, 2014 -12:00pm in EST. Why are they having this event at midnight?

There is no such thing as 12pm or 12am. It is either noon or midnight. If you don't want confusion then use military time.

MyWifeSaidYes

dominic22 said:
Hey commonsense, I wasn't trying to come off as uptight or anything. How I worded that does sound a bit cocky

I don't think he was aiming at you, dominic.

dominic22 said:
I would be able to attend, however I currently do not have my firearm yet.

None needed.

Somebody will probably put a sign in your hands. :D

dominic22

dominic22,

MWSY will freely help you along, but be careful if he wants you come over and help him shovel snow or cut grass.

He has been very helpful. Shovel? Cut grass? :uhoh::uhoh: I think...I'm feeling a bit sick, at least that is what I'll tell him.

I don't think he was aiming at you, dominic.

Oh okay, it probably would've helped had I read the previous posts. :/

None needed.

Somebody will probably put a sign in your hands. :D

Wonderful! If I am not volunteering anywhere then I will most likely be there.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'm wondering where you're getting "midnight" from..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I think you did not read the complete post. I said: There is no such thing as 12pm or 12am. It is either noon or midnight. If you don't want confusion then use military time.

Go to: National Institute of Standards and Technology - http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/times.cfm#noon

Note: It's a government website.

There have been many dismissed tickets because the cop posted the time of the infraction as 12am or 12pm.

Hareuhal

I think you did not read the complete post. I said: There is no such thing as 12pm or 12am. It is either noon or midnight. If you don't want confusion then use military time.

Go to: National Institute of Standards and Technology - http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/times.cfm#noon

Note: It's a government website.

There have been many dismissed tickets because the cop posted the time of the infraction as 12am or 12pm.

I read the complete post, I'm just failing to see the need to go into such technicalities regarding the time of the event.

Most people (in this country) do not understand 24 hour time. It is far more likely for them to understand 12 hour time.

Regarding whether or not 12pm exists or doesn't is just trivial.

Honestly, if we are at the point where one Planck time is an important factor regarding OCing, I think I'll take my leave of OCDO.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cjkent

Hello everyone

Well this is my first post to the group as a new member. I've been look over the forum for the past two weeks and didn't want to join until I had my first open carry.

I've had my ccw for 7 months now and I have really wanted to open carry. So the girlfriend needed a beer and I already had my gun on so off I went. Pulled up in

front of the store got out walked in said hello to the lady behind the counter walked back to the cooler grabed some Sam Adam and walked to the counter. The

lady said its 9 something and hey nice gun what is it. I said it's my Beretta 9mm and gave her a ten. All in all everything went fine. I'm going to open carry more

and hope to see some of you up in Columbus on the 19th.

dominic22

Welcome to the forum cjkent. I am new to the forum as well. It sounds to me like your OC went well. I'm glad to hear that.

I to will (hopefully) be at the event on the 19th. I will probably see you and not even know it's you.

MyWifeSaidYes

I'll try to remember to wear my neon orange baseball cap.

If it's not me, the person will probably be able to point me out to you.

If the group is walking around the block, I'll try to remain near Broad and High, depending on the wind. You'll eventually pass me.

I can introduce you both to a few of the Columbus area OC'ers.

eye95

Hello all,

I am new the forum and I am looking forward to being a part of this community. I have been reading through the posts that were made and I am impressed by the maturity of the members.

I am a soon to be an open carrier in Ohio. I am 18 years old and I must admit, I am nervous.

Congratulations on your first open carry. I am glad to hear that it went well. Being nervous is unstandable, and I hope that soon I will be sharing an open carry story of my own.

Looks like we are getting a lot of new OCers in Cbus. If y'all get together and want some company, let me know. My son also lives in Cbus and OCs occasionally. He might join us too. MyWifeSaidYes is probably the most active OCer in Cbus. Get to know him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>