• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to say when people complain they are "uncomfortable" because of your gun?

Wstar425

Wow! What a crazy thread.

I've been off the last two days from work on a mini vacation. Spent some major time with our German Shepherd around people on the local walking trail, and ice cream place, near our home. Not law enforcement nor no intention of her being a police dog. However, she is on a short leash, very attentative, and somewhat intimidating looking. (To some) With me being OC with either a Sig 226 or a S&W 686, I get a few are you training, or are you police, or military? I am training, no to the other two. If they keep asking, I just say "armed citizen" and that is usually the end of it. I do let people pet her, but if you assume "I'm training' means no petting, I don't always offer. Depends on circumstances. I've been asked if she is a canine (think they meant K-9) how do you answer that one? I'm pretty fluid, have some pat answers to some usual questions, but I freelance depending on the situation. One thing I have no tolerance for is someone walking up to my dog and attempting to pet her without asking. That earns you a rather unpleasant conversation, along the lines of if you mind if I drive your car, make a sandwich from your fridge, or sleep in your bed. Not to mention just being a bad idea all around.

Anyway, no direct mention of a firearm, no panic or people running. I'd guess I had 50-75 people put hands on the dog, within 3 feet of a firearm, and not an issue. Talked to one couple with a boy in a wheelchair about a GSD for a handicap dog. Talked to a coupe of people that had them in the past. All nice interactions.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to I am protecting myself, and anyone in my party. You are responsible for your own safety. Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. I'm not saying I wouldn't get involved in something, but I would pretty much have to see it go down from the start. Short of being at a gun range, or my house, if my gun comes out of the holster, somebody is getting shot. It might be me. I hope it never comes to that. So, I err on the side of caution by a VERY LARGE margin. I have no illusions about my ability, neither should you........

I don't mean that last bit as bravado, far from it, in fact the opposite. I've told myself that to make me think about it long and hard. Its not an option until it's the only option. It's strictly a last option, no other choices left move, for me. I have no illusions about my ability..............I know I am not very fast, good, brave, nor accurate!

Last edited:

Ezek

Wow! What a crazy thread.

I've been off the last two days from work on a mini vacation. Spent some major time with our German Shepherd around people on the local walking trail, and ice cream place, near our home. Not law enforcement nor no intention of her being a police dog. However, she is on a short leash, very attentative, and somewhat intimidating looking. (To some) With me being OC with either a Sig 226 or a S&W 686, I get a few are you training, or are you police, or military? I am training, no to the other two. If they keep asking, I just say "armed citizen" and that is usually the end of it. I do let people pet her, but if you assume "I'm training' means no petting, I don't always offer. Depends on circumstances. I've been asked if she is a canine (think they meant K-9) how do you answer that one? I'm pretty fluid, have some pat answers to some usual questions, but I freelance depending on the situation. One thing I have no tolerance for is someone walking up to my dog and attempting to pet her without asking. That earns you a rather unpleasant conversation, along the lines of if you mind if I drive your car, make a sandwich from your fridge, or sleep in your bed. Not to mention just being a bad idea all around.

Anyway, no direct mention of a firearm, no panic or people running. I'd guess I had 50-75 people put hands on the dog, within 3 feet of a firearm, and not an issue. Talked to one couple with a boy in a wheelchair about a GSD for a handicap dog. Talked to a coupe of people that had them in the past. All nice interactions.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to I am protecting myself, and anyone in my party. You are responsible for your own safety. Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. I'm not saying I wouldn't get involved in something, but I would pretty much have to see it go down from the start. Short of being at a gun range, or my house, if my gun comes out of the holster, somebody is getting shot. It might be me. I hope it never comes to that. So, I err on the side of caution by a VERY LARGE margin. I have no illusions about my ability, neither should you........

I don't mean that last bit as bravado, far from it, in fact the opposite. I've told myself that to make me think about it long and hard. Its not an option until it's the only option. It's strictly a last option, no other choices left move, for me. I have no illusions about my ability..............I know I am not very fast, good, brave, nor accurate!

could you maybe ramble a little less and stay on one topic at a time?

This was very hard to read, and I still don't know exactly what your trying to say, and I have less of an idea as to why a Canus domesticus has anything to do with anything?

Wstar425

could you maybe ramble a little less and stay on one topic at a time?

This was very hard to read, and I still don't know exactly what your trying to say, and I have less of an idea as to why a Canus domesticus has anything to do with anything?

No, I doubt that is going to happen. I apologize profusely for being the first person on the thread to go off topic.

To the point enough for you?

Ezek

No, I doubt that is going to happen. I apologize profusely for being the first person on the thread to go off topic.

To the point enough for you?

please do not think me rude as it wasn't my intention, I was merely pointing out that it seems you went far left field, then got on topic, only to go far left field again.

for instance, this is a forum about OC, many of the comments are in response to OC of a firearm, or reaction to an active shooter situation, involving the masses, like the convo went into with wild dog, or it's about being confronted by people who are anti gun while OCing and how you respond.

from this you respond with taking a dog for a walk and whether or not you let people pet said dog.. and you sometimes walk said dog with a sig sauer... I do not understand why the dog is in play in the reply, could you maybe expand on this?

with your post, what is your direct point with it? that you view your dog as an arm/weapon of some sort that you are openly walking?? or that you carry a sig while walking the dog and are open carrying and manage to confront afraid public while walking your scary dog with a scary gun and absolve them of their fears of both?

it was and is extremely confusing.

I am afraid the internet does not interject intent with words of written display.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
please do not think me rude as it wasn't my intention, I was merely pointing out that it seems you went far left field, then got on topic, only to go far left field again.

for instance, this is a forum about OC, many of the comments are in response to OC of a firearm, or reaction to an active shooter situation, involving the masses, like the convo went into with wild dog, or it's about being confronted by people who are anti gun while OCing and how you respond.

from this you respond with taking a dog for a walk and whether or not you let people pet said dog.. and you sometimes walk said dog with a sig sauer... I do not understand why the dog is in play in the reply, could you maybe expand on this?

with your post, what is your direct point with it? that you view your dog as an arm/weapon of some sort that you are openly walking?? or that you carry a sig while walking the dog and are open carrying and manage to confront afraid public while walking your scary dog with a scary gun and absolve them of their fears of both?

I am afraid the internet does not interject intent with words of written display.

OCDO is about normalizing the open carry of handguns as we go about our everyday routines - promoting and defending that is the very essence of OCDO.

Wstar425's was IMO just adding to the list/reports of normal experiences. The dog/K9/canine has been mentioned before as an addition to our protective/defensive tools and was just a personal touch.

Sorry you were confused - I read it with great ease.

Wstar425

There were 11 pages of posts on the OP topic of what do you say when people are uncomfortable with your gun. Before I posted my first response. Over the course of those 11 pages, the conversation morphed into at least 3 other subjects ranging from bravado, being a sheep dog, who and when we would protect, etc.

I touched on all of those, plus I gave you a free dog story. Why do you hate dogs so much?

I didn't realize I was forcing you to read any of my ramblings, nor am I responsible for your level of reading comprehension. I'm not quite sure why you elected to respond at all, instead of just moving on. Please do not think me rude, as it was not my intention.

If there was a point at all, I guess it might be that I have not found the public to be all that uncomfortable around guns. Or scary dogs. She's actually a big softy, but similar to not all guns have killed people, not all scary dogs are vicious or bite. But, they are capable of it. So, a guy with a gun and a German Shepherd does not in fact make people run for the hills in mass hysteria. Even after they determine that I am NOT LE, they allow their kids to crowd around, mere feet from a man with a gun, to pet a dog.

I realize not all encounters go this way. I'm 1000 to 4, good to bad. The 4 were quite different than my normal.

I'll try to stay more on topic in the future, but I am a conversationial writer, in that I basically just write as I would talk. So, maybe you would want to ignore me so as not to waste your time in the future.

Have a good day!

Wstar425

That was never a question. I believe that Wstar425 drives OTR tractor Western Star 425 inch chassis.

Close. I am OTR driver. Used to drive a Western Star with a 425 hp CAT engine, back when that was a big motor. Ran CA produce for last few years with a Kenworth W900L , with a 600 hp CAT. Now I'm back to being just another guy plugging up the highway at 67 mph like everyone else, to make my wife happy.

Never been a cop, but I'm glad we have them. Except when he's in my rear view mirror with the lights flashing! I've deserved all the tickets I got except one. I harbor no ill will toward law enforcement, but do my best to avoid all contact.

Btw, I've had a 280 inch chassis, which was the longest you can get from factory at the time. 425 inchs would be mostly unnavigable as a tractor trailer, but there may be some straight trucks like that. You might see somebody that long on a non working show truck.

Sorry I'm off topic, but the topic seems to have changed once again..........

Wstar425

I can do 68 on cruise, 70 on throttle. I regularly ran 85 mph out west in a semi, with little speed related issues, other than fuel mileage. I've always carried in the truck until now. We haul a lot of hazardous materials and almost all of those places are no firearms on the premise. I've had 7 different placards on my trailer at one time. NOT A RELAXING RIDE!!!! I am gone one night every two weeks instead of two weeks at a time. Wife is happy. Dog is happy. I'm not all that happy, but dealing with it.

Every day is a traffic jam in Madison, Milwaukee, or Chicago instead of having 2 plus days of relative peace and quiet across the west and midwest. I'm in a lot better shape, I lost 15 pounds just walking my dog 5 miles most evenings. Without really changing anything else. The dog seems to be a conversation starter. Many people will be talking to me for several minutes before noticing the firearm. Some never do, or don't show signs. I like to talk to people, and can carry on a conversation with just about anyone. I'm not trying to be a gun advocate as such, just a normal, non threatening guy out for a walk.

I look pretty good for 69. The problem is I'm only 57......

Last edited:

solus

and now another diversion eh, Wstar...! just saying!!

ipse

Last edited:

Ezek

There were 11 pages of posts on the OP topic of what do you say when people are uncomfortable with your gun. Before I posted my first response. Over the course of those 11 pages, the conversation morphed into at least 3 other subjects ranging from bravado, being a sheep dog, who and when we would protect, etc.

I touched on all of those, plus I gave you a free dog story. Why do you hate dogs so much?

I didn't realize I was forcing you to read any of my ramblings, nor am I responsible for your level of reading comprehension. I'm not quite sure why you elected to respond at all, instead of just moving on. Please do not think me rude, as it was not my intention.

If there was a point at all, I guess it might be that I have not found the public to be all that uncomfortable around guns. Or scary dogs. She's actually a big softy, but similar to not all guns have killed people, not all scary dogs are vicious or bite. But, they are capable of it. So, a guy with a gun and a German Shepherd does not in fact make people run for the hills in mass hysteria. Even after they determine that I am NOT LE, they allow their kids to crowd around, mere feet from a man with a gun, to pet a dog.

I realize not all encounters go this way. I'm 1000 to 4, good to bad. The 4 were quite different than my normal.

I'll try to stay more on topic in the future, but I am a conversationial writer, in that I basically just write as I would talk. So, maybe you would want to ignore me so as not to waste your time in the future.

Have a good day!

this was much easier to understand for me, thank you for the clarification, yes I guess this does make it rather silly for people to say they are afraid yet allow their children to crowd around to pet a dog being walked by an armed individual who is not LEO.

Ezek

LOL I haven't seen 'lights' in my mirror since before I started carrying a gun. In 1977 in Lake City on US-52 I got busted for driving one of them furrin' Porsches - knock knock knock - the last time.

67 mph! YOU'RE one of those? In my previous car, a little old VW diesel, I set the cruise at 110% posted. I'm in Madistan ATM having an injector replaced in my 6500# BMW X5 diesel "Sports Activity Vehicle" - that's what they call 'em! The 3 liter twin-turbo sounds great on the road, or idling in the driveway. After the 90 hp VW, my Behemoth will double the SL in a heart beat - and peg-low the instantaneous fuel mileage gauge. I'll never see 50 mpg again.

Unfortunately, and here in uber-lefty Madistan, my motel waiting-room (twenty hours now) and Zimbrick BMW are clearly posted no-guns. With ISUS threatening action on Independence Day, I'm anxious to be off the road, safely home. One more stop this PM to pick-up fifty liters of fine wine.

Oh, I think WS builds 486 inch chassis for the Australian road trains.

ETA: Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZOTf8vYhE How Not To Remove Injector BMW
Ein Zwei Drei Bang! Ein Zwei Drei Bang! Ein Zwei Drei Bang!

I just got done doing an engine swap in an All wheel drive BMW X5 with a 4.4 liter gas engine....
very time consuming, and a little headache inducing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Ezek

You couda, shouda gone with the Bmw X5 le mans V12 LMR engine 700 hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFfOlsWT68Q

But beware the 1200 HP Blackhorse Porsche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlYDiT2Jok

LOL shop I work @ has a fleet account deal with a local drivetime dealership. so no 700HP motors for me.. unless I went to work at the shop on dodge street in Omaha.. they got some crazy projects over there, like 800 HP rock crawlers, and stuffing LSx motors into lambo's that had their engine go "pop", among other interesting things..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL shop I work @ has a fleet account deal with a local drivetime dealership. so no 700HP motors for me.. unless I went to work at the shop on dodge street in Omaha.. they got some crazy projects over there, like 800 HP rock crawlers, and stuffing LSx motors into lambo's that had their engine go "pop", among other interesting things..

Was born and raised in Omaha - used to drag race with permission on an unused section of Offutt AFB.

To get this back on topic, when I was in school (Central HS), I frequently rode the public transportation bus home OCing my rifle team rifle - no one said a word or appeared uncomfortable. That was before dirt was invented though. :p

Ezek

Was born and raised in Omaha - used to drag race with permission on an unused section of Offutt AFB.

To get this back on topic, when I was in school (Central HS), I frequently rode the public transportation bus home OCing my rifle team rifle - no one said a word or appeared uncomfortable. That was before dirt was invented though. :p

ooh yes the lovely old days I never got to enjoy when highschools had rifle shooting teams, and colleges had them with friendly competitions of marksmanship.

I must ask, WTF happened?

Freedom1Man

ooh yes the lovely old days I never got to enjoy when highschools had rifle shooting teams, and colleges had them with friendly competitions of marksmanship.

I must ask, WTF happened?
Those in power wanted to enslave those who lived in the freest union of states and so had to start disarming the population. The, "it is for the children," argument was a great way to sway those who are incapable of rational thought to cry for the disarming if their neighbors.

I know that this was rather simplified but, it does properly address the issue.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Ezek

Those in power wanted to enslave those who lived in the freest union of states and so had to start disarming the population. The, "it is for the children," argument was a great way to sway those who are incapable of rational thought to cry for the disarming if their neighbors.

I know that this was rather simplified but, it does properly address the issue.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

that really worked at dissolving the marksman teams at highschools? despite the fact there wasn't an overabundance of shooting each other or others at the schools during this time?