• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guys have to stop open carying your rifles in places of business.

Primus

I'm sitting here looking at this.

myge8uqy.jpg

That's not the imagine i think sets a good example. To me, this picture is showing off. You want to set a example, do it, by getting your picture taken with your family, while eating. My dad would have killed me walking any where like this, and to me, MY opinion, that's the problem.

If your going to get your pic taken, have the gun slung appropriately on your back, and never move it. I think at least in my opinion, those pictures are the problem. This may not be the scene from the restaurant, as that was from a quick search. That picture though, people like that, posing, is becoming more common place.

Sorry if I step on toes. It's just my opinion. I have np with long gun oc. Just like any form of oc, there is a right and wrong way.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Qft

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

I'm sitting here looking at this.

image removed for space

That's not the imagine i think sets a good example. To me, this picture is showing off. You want to set a example, do it, by getting your picture taken with your family, while eating. My dad would have killed me walking any where like this, and to me, MY opinion, that's the problem.

If your going to get your pic taken, have the gun slung appropriately on your back, and never move it. I think at least in my opinion, those pictures are the problem. This may not be the scene from the restaurant, as that was from a quick search. That picture though, people like that, posing, is becoming more common place.

Sorry if I step on toes. It's just my opinion. I have np with long gun oc. Just like any form of oc, there is a right and wrong way.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I keep flip-flopping trying to decide whether or not to reply :lol: Not that I have anything negative to say. I'm just not sure if you'll find my responses adequate. So, with that in mind, I'm not trying to disagree, just discuss some of the issues you've raised, which are legitimate concerns. Also I am not a spokesperson for OCT.

First, they are not "showing off." They absolutely are posing for a picture. They are posing for a picture because a picture is being taken. You are right that these sort of pictures are quite commonplace now. These sort of pictures are taken every week, in fact. Many of them are taken with members of the public happily joining in, with store staff participating with big smiles on their faces, and I believe even with police officers posing with their own black rifles alongside OCT members.

That being said, it is possible to adjust methods to make our photographs more impervious to the perversions of the control campaigns, and this has not escaped OCT leadership.

A couple of other things... Rifles being slung to the back is already a recommendation. However, many people have rifles with single point slings and I don't believe it would be proper to carry those with the rifle to the back. Unnecessary handling of the rifles is already against policy. Adjustments for comfort, even as much as removing the rifle and re-slinging to the other side, cannot be avoided as many of these walks last several hours. Posing for pictures is, I believe, a perfectly legitimate reason to hold the rifle temporarily. In fact, in many pictures the group is large enough that those in front must kneel down, necessitating that the rifle be held as to not clang on the ground. Not to mention that it's just human nature to do something with your hands when posing for a picture. The point is, unnecessary handling is already against policy. As above, of course, it is possible to adjust to make photographs more impervious to perversion, and this fact has not escaped those in a position to set policy.

WalkingWolf

First question, how many negligent discharges have the Texas open carriers have had?

How many of these business been robbed while in the presence of these open carriers?

How many times have the Texas open carriers went on a shooting rampage?

Sometimes some people just need to get a grip.

OC Freedom

First question, how many negligent discharges have the Texas open carriers have had?

How many of these business been robbed while in the presence of these open carriers?

How many times have the Texas open carriers went on a shooting rampage?

Sometimes some people just need to get a grip.

+1

223to45

Posing for pictures is, I believe, a perfectly legitimate reason to hold the rifle temporarily.

No such thing as a legitimate reason unless you about to use it.
It could be called brandishing, it is the same as removing a handgun from the holster for no other reason then to show it off.

223to45

If a LGOC ban is enacted it is only following the social LGOC ban perpetrated by the control campaigns, to which you are a participant. If LGOC is banned, you will not have lost a right - you lost your right when you refused to exercise it or stand up for those that did.

How am I a participant??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No such thing as a legitimate reason unless you about to use it.
It could be called brandishing, it is the same as removing a handgun from the holster for no other reason then to show it off.
Fortunately you are neither the judge nor jury, the decider of fact, in a court of law nor here.

I know of no definition of "brandishing" that is "for no other reason then to show it off." Brandishing generally entails a direct or implied threat. Posing for pictures doesn't qualify - not even close.

FTG-05

You rest of the gun owners look like nothing, nobody knows you exist, because you do nothing to work toward the restoration of rights. You clearly know nothing about the history of the OC movement in Texas, either, else you'd know that OC bills have come up and died. OC is a big issue in Texas precisely as a result of the efforts of groups such as OCT, CATI and TC. This is admitted even by anti-OC gun groups, of which I'm sure you're a fan, such as the NRA and TSRA. These groups, you might be surprised to know, have actually taken credit for killing an OC bill in Texas. They claim it a victory.

It's ironic that you'd say OCT makes other gun owners look like xbox commandos when they are the ones on the street working and you are the on your keyboard bitching about it. Perhaps you other gun owners actually are xbox commandos and can't stand it when someone makes waves and it becomes apparent.

SE, don't let the OC Fudds and/or gun banners wear you down! You and yours are fighting the good fight! Keep it up!

Good luck!

223to45

In how many states has this actually taken place?

Please show where the 2A makes such a distinction.

States that Prohibit Open Carrying of Long Guns
California38
District of Columbia39
Florida40
Illinois41
Massachusetts42
Minnesota43
New Jersey44

Mass, Minn, and NJ don't fully prohibit open carry, needs to be permitted and areas not allowed.

States that Restrict, But Do Not Prohibit, the Open Carrying of Long Guns
Iowa45
Michigan46
Pennsylvania47
Tennessee48
Utah49
Virginia50

half_life1052

I am confused

As to what possible reason a person from Washington State thinks that they have some valid opinion of the actions of a group of people in another state (in this case Texas)? I have lived here for 6 months and I don't think I have gained a sufficiently objective opinion yet to be opening my mouth about anything OCT etc are doing. I am however in a position to speak about the thinking that we should be "controlling ourselves" to avoid a ban on open carry. We already have a ban on open carry here. We also have a right established by both Texas and the US constitutions. Certain parties to this conversation seem pretty flippant about changing that. They seem to think it would be a trivial thing to change. Do I smell an anti in wolf's clothing?

I have an offer to make you. Why don't you come down here to Austin. I will take you to where I must go every evening that I work. It is a quaint little place Near Rundberg and I-35. Leave your weapons home and show us how it is done.

You probably have the balls to do it once. How about 20 times per month year round?

Just my two cents . . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
States that Prohibit Open Carrying of Long Guns
California38 - only in urban/city areas - http://civilrights.ehlinelaw.com/rifle-open-carry-laws/

Florida40 - going to or from camping, fishing or target shooting is legal - http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/florida.aspx

Minnesota43 - The permit allows you to carry long guns in public....http://www.gunthorp.com/carry_in_mn.htm

-snipped--

I just hit a few at random (my comments in blue)to demonstrate that there are some serious omissions.

Point of fact - a vast majority of states do not disallow the carry of long guns except within certain limited conditions.

Thank you for making my argument.

Last edited: