• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fight for the right to carry while hunting...NO EXCEPTION!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, gun season starts tomorrow, so everyone gets their rights back! Anyone heading to the woods in the morning? I have to work :( but I'm off Saturday.

Who wants to put me on some deer Saturday?!? I've got the itch...bad.

I'll be out with the muzzle loader tomorrow and the 338 Saturday and probably Sunday.

The Truth

Unless you belong to a hunt club (some allow guests) or have leased the land yourself there is little to no private land you will find that has an open invitation to strangers.

The only freebies are when urban herds are culled - that is either done by lottery or professional hunters.

Most successful hunts are a result of planning and preparation waaay in advance of the current deer season: acquiring the land, planting feed plots, scouting, game cams, building or placing tree stands, long days in the field during off season.....considerable investment.

You might look into Ft. Lee:
http://www.lee.army.mil/documents/policy/FL Policy 14-12 Wildlife Management Hunting Policy.pdf

I hunted the same land with my Dad for over 15 years in SC. We'd spend every other weekend down in the camper in the Summer, doing work during the daytime such as tilling and planting food plots, bush hogging shooting lanes, hanging lock-ons or building ladder stands, or general scouting. We did our fair share of ATV riding and shooting too. It started out as a "brown it's down" huntclub and now it's fairly common for several 16"-20" wide 8 and 10 points to be harvested per year since we've been a trophy club for over 10 years now. I've seen a couple of the biggest bucks of my life on that club. Ahh I miss it...

Dad sent me a pic about a week ago of the first stand we ever built together and it looks about 100 years old. Time flies...

I'll be out with the muzzle loader tomorrow and the 338 Saturday and probably Sunday.

Where are you Nap? An hour and a half away might not be too bad for an afternoon/evening hunt. Might be a little brutal for a morning hunt, as I like to get on stand about 45 mins before first light so the woods have time to calm down.

I figured it's a longshot that I'll be invited to hunt private land this close to the season, but hey it's worth a try. I've never been a big fan of public land. Too many people usually, somewhat unsafe, and then of course there's the warden to worry about. I do have a farm I have access to in Eastern Henrico, but diversity is good, and that's only about 300 acres with probably 6 or 7 guys hunting it, 2 or 3 of em hit it pretty hard. I saw a monster running through the horse pasture 2 bow seasons ago. Had to have been 20" wide, and he was running around with his little brother, who had to have been about 18" wide. Broke my heart.

Last edited: