• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Individual rights v. governent intervention

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Indeed I did answer it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2134883

I'm not going to sit here and say it's ok for someone to be RULED. But what I will say is that there have to be, and will always be rules, social norms, and mores. And with some issues, a line needs to be clearly drawn in the sand, for everyone in this 320 million melting pot to prosper.

There needs to be rules, and when there are rules, someone has to be there to enforce it.

which brings me to my point-

I DON'T think the current system has it on point. I'm with you there. But I don't see how this proposed system will solve that. It just changes the who, not the what. ....and if this is the case, why not work to improve the current system?

Like stealth said, on moral grounds I agree. I'm past that. I'm on to practicality.

How to mitigate confrontation on civil rights issues, or infringements of others rights, if neither party cares to cease-fire, so to speak?

No you didn't. Even in that earlier post, you executed an artful dodge. But, I'll be magnanimous: I won't count this one against you since it relies on an earlier dodge. (Keep in mind that I could count this as two dodges. This one and the earlier one. So, I'm being the good-guy by counting neither.)

J_dazzle23

I'm sick of the BS, citizen. I don't have a dog in this fight.

I've never proposed or advocated an elite ruling class. I've simply brought up questions I have on practicality of the system you suggest, since I already agree on moral basis.

Take it or leave it. Answer them or not. I'm done being poked and prodded for "dodging" when I've asked the same question for 20 pages and only stealth and George are the ones to even remotely try and answer it.

Here, I'll be clear. I don't agree with a ruling class. Never said it did, either, btw.

twoskinsonemanns

Point me to where I said I support people being RULED? I said I supported rule of law, and I supported rules.

strawman me then accuse me of dodging? Nice.

Here, I even said it again for you right here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2134889

Honest question for anyone really. What would be the difference between being ruled, and being forcibly coerced to follow rules you don't agree with, enforced by someone you didn't empower?

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
This is a dodge. I already addressed this very early in this thread. Others expanded on it. It goes without saying the question refers to peaceful equals.

All equals are peaceful...until they are not. "If men were angels no government would be necessary."

What you and I see as peaceful, half the nation sees as greedily denying them access to some of their rights. What some see as peaceful, private conduct, others see as bigoted discrimination denying people access to basic services to which they are entitled. What some see as a private decision between a woman and her doctor, others see as akin to murder of innocent babies. What some see as a peaceful exchange of labor for compensation, others see as the exploitation of weak workers by powerful corporate interests. What most here see as an imminent threat of violence fully justifying the use of deadly force to stop and prevent, at least one member sees as no crime until the blade or bullet actually damages his clothing or body. What some see as peacefully exercising ones rights, others see as violating the rights of the rest of the community not to be visually assaulted with obscene material or conduct. What I see as a nice steak dinner others see as murder of an innocent cow. What I see as responsible use of natural resources, others view as raping and pillaging the most pristine wilderness they've ever seen.

There are thousands of other examples of honest differences of opinion of what is a right. And while any of them might be dismissed as minutia, they point to the fundamental question of resolving conflicts.

Contrary to all jokes about Puritans being concerned that someone, somewhere is having fun, I have yet to find anyone who wants to control me simply for the sake of controlling me. Offensive as I find the proposals of many, in virtually every case they are sincere in their beliefs that such laws, the proposed or current limits on my conduct, are necessary to protect the rights of others.

The big bad king is not having fun with my life for the sake of his twisted entertainment. Rather, a whole bunch of my fellow citizens feel very strongly that certain limits on my conduct are needed to protect their rights. You and I disagree with them in many cases.

But with or without government, those disagreements have to be arbitrated. And I've not seen that anarchy has any more moral method for doing that than does our current governmental systems.

Also, others have already--repeatedly--addressed the question of how to settle questions of what is and isn't aggression.

No. ONE other poster has addressed the question exactly once. I welcome evidence to the contrary. Post numbers from this thread will suffice.

You being the chief proponent and OP on this thread, I should think you'd want to address the question yourself, to make sure it is handle correctly. While I greatly appreciate stealthy's answer, it concedes that when there is a conflict between viewpoints, force will come into play.

Are you willing to make that same concession?

Also, and more importantly, Utbagpiper's

This is very close to talking past me as you have done in the past. When responding to me, quoting my post, and writing to me, the polite form is "you" and "your". It is not polite to address me as a third party as though I were absent. I have repeatedly, and respectfully requested you refrain from this conduct in the past.

I am again making this request. Either ignore me entirely, or address me directly.

He who makes such a fuss of equals should be the last to presume to address another as anything but an equal. As such, your continued conduct is both impolite and hypocritical.

Stop it.

reply amounts to (translation): I think its important to keep existing evil, and that is all I need to make it legitimate. I cannot imagine any other system; therefore the evil system I support and inflict on other equals is legitimate." Which is really just another way of saying, "I am not their equal. I am above them. My ideas (or failure to imagine something better) count more than theirs."

It is also very impolite to presume to impart motive to my words. Please stop doing so.

Address my issues if you desire. Or ignore me entirely. Your choice. But do not impart evil motives to me simply because I disagree with your world view.

My reply is simple:

Diverse groups of people need a way to defend their rights and arbitrate differences. Our constitutional government is not perfect and needs to be put back into its proper, limited scope. But it does a decent job of arbitrating differences and then protecting those rights that have been arbitrated as existing.

Anarchy, as described in this thread, can do no better job. It has no higher moral claim than our current government because ultimately, force will have to be used to settle differences.

You start from a false premise that government is evil. I reject that premise.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Honest question for anyone really. What would be the difference between being ruled, and being forcibly coerced to follow rules you don't agree, enforced by someone you didn't empower?

If those rules are protecting the rights of others, then any failure to follow those rules is an immoral initiation of force, and force can be morally used to enforce the rules. Right?

So we're back to the question of deciding what are really "rights" and what constitutes an aggression against or violation of those rights. So long as the rules only protect rights from aggression or infringement, they are morally justified.

So, you and I are agreed with each other and oppose certain existing and proposed rules about guns, probably taxes, and a bunch of other stuff.

One fellow believes that a baker refusing to sell him a wedding cake for his homosexual ceremony is discrimination that denies him his rights to access services offered to the public. The baker believes that being forced to provide services to events he finds objectionable is a violation of his rights.

One person believes unborn babies and persons of certain skin color are not really people and thus not entitled to rights. Another person believes differently and believes unborn babies and blacks are deserving of defense of their rights by third parties if they are not able to defend themselves.

Arbitrate these differences within the anarchist paradigm any more morally than they are arbitrated under our constitutional government. Let me know your results.

For the record, you and I probably agree at least 85% on what government shouldn't be doing. But if we are not capable of seeing and considering the viewpoint of those who disagree with us 85% of the time, we have no hope of creating a social order in which both sides can live with each other in peace.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
One of the reasons I've hesitated to answer his questions is that I asserted from the get-go that morality should overrule pragmaticality, but it appeared to me that utbagpiper was unwilling to acknowledge this, much less debate it.

But my two questions cut to the heart of the moral claim of anarchy. That is why I start with them. It isn't a bear trap, except to those who want to artfully dodge the heart of the question. And so I do sincerely appreciate you finally answering the question.

As you have conceded (and no other proponent of anarchy has objected to), ultimately an anarchist society has to resort to violence to arbitrate differences just as our current government has to resort to violence.

It looks to me like the moral question is a wash.

Some folks just seem to want to dodge the question of how to arbitrate differences so as to avoid having to admit this moral wash. At a fundamental level, anarchy no more avoids the use of force in arbitrating differences than does our current government.

It just tries to cloak that use of force in terms of "protecting rights". Well that is all current law does. You and I just don't recognize as "rights" a lot of rights that other citizens think they have. And they don't recognize some of the rights we claim.

Once you have moral equivalence, you are left with nothing but pragmatic considerations.

Charles

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...You start from a false premise that government is evil. I reject that premise.

Yes, yes, and we reject yours: that the state is not merely the embodiment of aggressive force (only admittedly 'not perfect'), has a proper required scope, that there exists some method to limit it to said scope and prevent further usurpation by threat of violence which hasn't yet been proposed or implemented, that it does a better job at anything which would be lawfully allowed of a private competitor, that it somehow protects rights while violating the same with impunity, that it may decide every matter for the good of its subjects and ultimately the rest of the world when they can no longer defend themselves, etc. etc. etc.

Let it go, we're never going to convince you to abandon the state

...it will more likely implode and abandon you.

utbagpiper

Banned
Yes, yes, and we reject yours: that the state is not merely the embodiment of aggressive force

It is no more an embodiment of aggressive force than would be 1,000 "protection providers" or "non-government service providers".

The force is only aggressive insofar as it violates rights. And I agree with you that much of what government does today is a violation of rights. But many of our fellow citizens disagree. To them, these uses of force are a protection of their rights against our aggressive conduct. Government has merely arbitrated the disagreement between you/I and those who want to infringe our rights. In many cases, that arbitration is not to our liking.

What exactly changes under anarchy?

The same fellow citizens who have different views of rights will still exist and will still demand that their rights (as they see them) be protected from our aggressions (again, as they see them). Some arbitration will be required. And as stealthy has made clear, when neither side will retreat, force will be used.

Is this whole desire for anarchy just a roundabout way of calling for armed conflict?

(only admittedly 'not perfect'), has a proper required scope, that there exists some method to limit it to said scope and prevent further usurpation by threat of violence which hasn't yet been proposed or implemented, that it does a better job at anything which would be lawfully allowed of a private competitor, that it somehow protects rights while violating the same with impunity, that it may decide every matter for the good of its subjects and ultimately the rest of the world when they can no longer defend themselves, etc. etc. etc.

The very reason I asked my two questions so often was to avoid imparting motives to others, or presuming to state their position for them.

Please demonstrate the level of civility you think society should have generally, by not presuming to tell me what my position or views are. I'm more than happy to explain them to you if you'd like.

Let it go, we're never going to convince you to abandon the state

You are completely free to stop responding to my posts and queries if you don't wish to have a discussion of the issues. If you are going to proffer unsupportable theses on a discussion board, don't be surprised if a few folks actually ask you to explain and back up with evidence and examples.

If your view is more akin to a religious position that isn't subject to rational debate, I can respect that too, but nobody has yet suggested that.

It is nothing personal. I just haven't seen anything to convince me that anarchy is fundamentally more moral than a limited, constitutional republic, and is most likely to be far less effective at providing essential government services including protecting individual rights, promoting general welfare, providing domestic tranquility, and preventing foreign domination.

All the best ATM.

Charles

Last edited:

solus

piper, et al., forgive me, why are ya'l so proud of our two hundred years of history, when there are other societies on record for having survived longer, again, as previously mentioned, the ottoman empire comes to mind where the sultans ruled for 700 years. yet everyone fails to mention what worked to make their longevity a success?

we're still in our middle school years compared to that specific dynasty!!

surely those that governed the empire did something right, eh? why can't those principles be emulated across our great nation?

ipse

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

This thread is getting way out of line.

Please read Mark Levins " Liberty Amendments"... The book should put any and all arguments at rest on the thread topic..

Regards

CCJ

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
CCJ - love your signature line. A concept too many can't grasp and the ultimate guaranteed outcome of our 50% + 1 race to pass as many laws as possible.

I do not think this issue will be settled by referencing any other source. I don't agree with all of Mr. Levine's ideas and I'm quite sure that our status quo - loving friends would not either. Nor are they likely to read it based on the endlessly repetitious questions that l-ism solves in myriad and well-documented manners. Several very good libertarian references have been cast down before them to no avail.

Part of the benefit of l-ism is the very nature of it not being a rigidly fixed system. Its just fine that I disagree with parts of your reference, or you, or anyone here. L-ism freely allows us each to choose the solutions we prefer to each problem we face.

The U.S. was established as a minarchy. Extremely limited gov powers vs endless individual rights. But the warning in your signature line has long been forgotten as, of course; Franklin, Madison, Jefferson, Washington, etc. predicted it would be.

sudden valley gunner

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thomas Paine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Yes government is evil. Many "founders" recognized this. It is why they tried to minimize it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In Communist countries everything was under central control. I am sure the pro communist folks tell those who want the free market, things like "how will you get toilet paper without the state", "who will provide your clothes" etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]No one can answer the specifics. No one can know what the market or society will provide or not provide. That is not an excuse to continue the evil because you fear the unknown.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Its a simply wrong to say the state isn't violent coercive force. That is provable beyond a doubt. How some "feel" is irrelevant. It is also an assumption that others will take over this force of the state. There is no such thing as a power vacuum. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Of course someone who feels the president can torture people because he can nuke people and that it is constitutional. May not desire to grasp simple easy ideas that are contrary to well held statism.[/FONT]

OC for ME

It is no more an embodiment of aggressive force than would be 1,000 "protection providers" or "non-government service providers". ...

Charles
This is a presumption, based only on what you want to believe a "non-government" society would do, or not do. Indication that you have a low regard for your fellow citizens.

The current federal government will travel ~3000 miles to right a perceived wrong whether a wrong was committed or not. Whether the principals involved believe that a wrong has been committed or not. The feds have interfered in perceived wrongs before, or more accurately, a wrong where the only victim is the state, the raw milk debacle is but one example.

Similarly, a "protection force" in Miami is unlikely to travel to Seattle to right a wrong they have no practical interest in. This does not mean that they would not agree to lend a hand, but to initiate their involvement without invitation, not likely.

You will not recognize a property owners absolute right to control his property, as indicated in some of your previous posts, and as such you must have a government behind you to protect you from the consequences of the rights of others that you violate. It is my concern/fear that I must resort to violating your rights, in a no government society, to gain a redress. I'll let the government violate your rights, but I will not. So, does this make government good or evil. Am I violating your rights, or is it government?

Government is evil and this necessary evil must be chained with a very very short chain, unfortunately, government is permitted to roam the neighborhood. It is there for all to see, in the vast majority of our daily interactions no government is needed for us to resolve our disputes. When the state realizes that they are being relegated to irrelevancy they will inject themselves where their "help" is not needed. The raw milk debacle.

ATM

Campaign Veteran

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.

Thomas Paine.

Yes government is evil. Many "founders" recognized this. It is why they tried to minimize it.

Indeed. The only issue with Paine's statement is his inclusion of 'but a necessary'. The statement would ring truer without it.

He obviously still believed that an evil state could actually be minimized and restrained to some undescribed tolerable level of evil, despite every futile attempt littering the pages of history. This latest attempt has proven equally ineffective at containing the beast they thought necessary to create again.

Wisdom and principle may suggest that we stop creating such beasts. The threat and expansiveness of the modern state is relatively unhindered by imaginary borders of geography or parchment.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Part of the benefit of l-ism is the very nature of it not being a rigidly fixed system. Its just fine that I disagree with parts of your reference, or you, or anyone here. L-ism freely allows us each to choose the solutions we prefer to each problem we face.

I'm quite open to and familiar with Libertarianism. Indeed, I devoted quite of bit of free time, over several years to severing in Libertarian Party of Utah including as a party officer, as a candidate for public office, and authoring press releases and LTEs/editorials for the local papers. At one time I quite fully embraced libertarianism.

It isn't lack of knowledge that causes me questions.

Libertarianism has great appeal in being, on its face, a self-consistent, rational basis on which to build a society. Its problem is that its self-consistency falls apart when one realizes that the question of what is "aggression" must still be resolved.

A mistake that we gun-owners often make is to assume those who (significantly) disagree with us are somehow ignorant, stupid, or even evil. And admittedly, there is no shortage of low-information voters across the political landscape. But there are many intelligent, well informed, and generally decent people who sincerely disagree with us/you. Oft-times these disagreements are based on deeply held religious/moral/ethical values that are not subject to rational debate.

An inability or unwillingness to understand our opponents' perspective is a fatal weakness in any effort to win them--or even fence sitters--to our side.

From Machiavelli to Mao to Patton, great strategists have long understood and preached the requirement to accurately know and understand one's opponents.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
This is a presumption, based only on what you want to believe a "non-government" society would do, or not do. Indication that you have a low regard for your fellow citizens.

I have a generally high regard. But I also understand that many of my fellow citizens are as deeply committed to protecting their "rights" (as they see them) as we are to protecting RKBA/OC. And in many cases, that will create

The current federal government will travel ~3000 miles to right a perceived wrong whether a wrong was committed or not. Whether the principals involved believe that a wrong has been committed or not.

I freely admit that a return to federalism could reduce many possible conflicts...but only to the extent that people vote with their feet to live in areas whose laws and culture reflect their own values.

It is clear that many of us have witnessed what happens when "yanks" or "California refugees" move to another State. At first they love it. But pretty soon they tend to complain about those things that are different from their former home. "What do you mean just anyone can walk around with a gun?" "But children shouldn't be allowed to drive ATVs down back country roads!" "I have to take my garbage to the dump myself?" "Why don't zoning laws force my neighbor to clean up that dumpy yard?" "Who are you to say that homosexual unions are not exactly the same as heterosexual marriages?"

If these people have as much right to form their own, local protection agencies, as do those of a more libertarian bent to form theirs, there will be no shortage of local conflicts. Sure, in many areas, raw numbers and the ability to use force locally will prevent the urbanites from forcing their will onto rural areas. But that exposes the same moral problem with anarchy as we currently see with government.

Pragmatically, maybe anarchy works to the advantage of the majority in rural areas who are tired of urbanites enforcing unwanted rules on them. But if so, let's call it what it is: local control with the effective ability to force urbanites to either accept rural standards, or move out of rural areas.

You will not recognize a property owners absolute right to control his property, as indicated in some of your previous posts,

sigh

I respect your property rights to a greater extent than probably 99% of the rest of the nation. No, I don't think you have a right to shoot some 10 year old who crosses your posted land. And I don't think you have a right to infringe on your neighbors' rights: no pig farms or brothels in existing residential areas kind of thing. Short of that, do as you see fit including engaging in discrimination in your business if you choose.

My prior posts to which you refer were not an expression of my personal views, but rather an exercise in playing devil's advocate to demonstrate how many in society have a very different and incompatible view of "rights" than do you and I. I thought I had made that very clear. If not, I'm sorry. If I did, but you missed or forgot it, this discussion will probably be rather unproductive.

Government is evil and this necessary evil must be chained with a very very short chain,

I believe governments are necessary and good, with the potential to become evil. I agree with the need for a short chain.

I've come to recognize, however, that "government" is really a reflection of my neighbors.

Government did not go out and tell me I have to bake a cake, do floral arrangements, take pictures at, nor rent my reception center for homosexual "weddings". Homosexuals decided they had a right to access these services. They've convinced a lot of heterosexuals of this same flawed view. What we call "government" is simply the arbitration of where my rights end and homosexual rights begin. Get rid of the federal and even State governments and this same arbitration will have to take place by whatever social structure replaces it. Ditto for raw milk. And for every other question on which there is disagreement among the public, which is to say, every question.

Eliminating current government structure doesn't create a libertarian society any more than it creates a prosperous, rich, crime-free society as evidenced by countless areas of the world without functioning government present. It may well localize problems and their solution. Which can be a very good thing...though blacks who lived through the Jim Crow South might be a little less excited about "States' rights" or anything that looks like it than are white guys.

Charles

ATM

Campaign Veteran
For the record, the Libertarian Party stands apart from libertarianism and is even further removed from the basic tenets of anarchism.

My chief opponent is the state. I understand what it does and know what it is.

Only to a lesser degree do I oppose proponents of the state who are not directly sanctioned to initiate force against me with such impunity.

I am more interested in exposing the violations of the opposing team and the crooked referees they have in place to the public than changing the minds of their devoted cheerleaders.

utbagpiper

Banned
Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
--Thomas Paine

Yes government is evil. Many "founders" recognized this. It is why they tried to minimize it.

Exactly how many founders used the word "evil" or its synonyms to describe government, generally? Citations please.

Even Paine describes government as "necessary".

Adams wrote: "Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people;"

Franklin: "History will also give Occasion to expatiate on the Advantage of Civil Orders and Constitutions, how Men and their Properties are protected by joining in Societies and establishing Government; their Industry encouraged and rewarded, Arts invented, and Life made more comfortable: The Advantages of Liberty, Mischiefs of Licentiousness, Benefits arising from good Laws and a due Execution of Justice, etc."

Washington: "Government is like fire, a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Jefferson and the signers of the DoI make clear that one of King George's crimes against the colonists is to leave them without functioning government. In fact, of 13 line items starting with "He has", 7 (over half) are directly related to the King's failure to pass or enforce laws or to maintain functioning government.

DoI said:
He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good....

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, .... [and] has utterly neglected to attend to [these laws]...

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people,...

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, ...

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; .... the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within...

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers....

He has ... obstruct[ed] the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

Nor do the indictments against the King's neglect to maintain government end in this section. Moving on:

DoI said:
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province...

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures...

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection...

This nation was not founded on a hatred of government. It was founded on the premise that governments are necessary and good and King George had failed to maintain functioning governments, along with his clear efforts to exert absolute tyranny over the Colonies.

Our founders held and encouraged a healthy distrust of government. And that implies there is such a thing as an "unhealthy" or excessive distrust of government. Those who would warp what the founder wrote to try to claim they believed government was wholly evil, have crossed the line from healthy, to unhealthy distrust.

There is a fundamental difference between asking how the market will provide goods, and asking how a market will resolve disputes of what is a "right". For profit is a great way to provide goods and services. I hope we all agree that for-profit has no place in the administration of justice, in prisons and jails, or in courts of law.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
I am more interested in exposing the violations of the opposing team and the crooked referees they have in place to the public than changing the minds of their devoted cheerleaders.

It is a shame that in 18 pages of posts, only one proponent of anarchy has been able and willing to answer two simple questions about how disputes are resolved. No one else has refuted his answer.

That answer exposes the truth that at its core, anarchy has no moral high ground over government when it comes to dispute resolution. Ultimately, force is on the table.

Given this fundamental inconsistency in the philosophy that holds anarchy as a moral superior to government, it is no surprise that so few proponents of anarchy wish to discuss the basics of dispute resolution. Once it is clear that anarchy has no moral benefit, we are left with pragmatics.

Tossing off the current system/regime without due regard to its replacement seemed a good idea to the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans, Cubans, and French. Excepting the French, generations of their posterity suffered gravely for their myopia. 100 million innocent persons have been murdered by communist regimes, in large part because people were unhappy with their current forms and decided that untried ideas in a couple of books should be implemented wholesale. "No need to discuss the details. What we have is so bad that nothing could be worse." Tragic last words of a generation.

Those who will not learn from history...

Charles

ATM

Campaign Veteran
That your conclusions do not follow from the response or detailed references provided is unsurprising, your conclusions seem impervious to any input.

That the framers were not infallible is also unsurprising, their conclusions begot our current leviathan, not so dissimilar from the one they'd escaped.

I appreciate their spirit, fortitude and even suspect the best and most noble of their intentions. Sadly, though, they were wrong.