• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

lil_shawn1990

Ive open carried everywhere in fburg that ive been and havent had any issues except for when me and the wife went downtown to an anique shop, a gentlemen mumblee under his breath sarcasticly "that makes me feel safe" to his friend. I stopped and said what was that sir. He was in shock that I confronted him but he went on to tell me that he "doesnt think that high schoolers should be walking around with nine strapped to his hip." I went on to tell him that I wasnt in high school and that im 22 years old and and havr served my country for 4 years and am currently in the beginning of another 4 year contract and that this is not a nine on my hip, its a .40 s&w shield. He askrd why I needed a gun to antique shop ad I told him to protect my family and myself . Then he asked why I dont hide it and I told him because I do not have a permit to do so. He asked if I had one to carry like I was doing, so I pulled my wallet out and gave him one of those handy dandy open carry business cards that ED gives you. Needless to say the guy came away from tjis with a different point of view snd ended up saying he was srry for misjudging me and my gun and telling me "thank you for your service"

lil_shawn1990

Outstanding handling of that situation. And thank you for your service.:)

Thank you Sir. I have been doing nothing but familiarizing myself with local laws as well as federal laws and am wanting to really get involved in the fight to protect the 2nd ammendment. I know i am actively involved just by carrying my weapon and paying my dues for the NRA. But i really want to get involved. not meaning that i want to get in a confrontation with a police officer, that would look bad with the current unit that im at. But i want to get out there and fight the good fight.

I realize now how many spelling errors were in my post. i appoligize as i mostly use my phone when i am on here and sometimes the wrong button gets pushed.

POPS VA

Thank you Sir. I have been doing nothing but familiarizing myself with local laws as well as federal laws and am wanting to really get involved in the fight to protect the 2nd ammendment. I know i am actively involved just by carrying my weapon and paying my dues for the NRA. But i really want to get involved. not meaning that i want to get in a confrontation with a police officer, that would look bad with the current unit that im at. But i want to get out there and fight the good fight.

I realize now how many spelling errors were in my post. i appoligize as i mostly use my phone when i am on here and sometimes the wrong button gets pushed.

You have come to the right place to familiarize yourself with the laws here in Va. We are blessed with some of the best minds that I have ever seen
discussing open carry issues and laws. I am not a frequent poster but I am here at some point almost every day trying to absorb this wealth of info.
These guys are great and at times entertaining. Welcome to OCDO and please consider joining VCDL. Together, we will all fight the good fight.

lil_shawn1990

Thank you and since ive moved here I have been on here everyday as well absorbing information. Ive heard term vcdl many times but havent really looked into it yet. I guess that's what I'll do right now

POPS VA

Thank you and since ive moved here I have been on here everyday as well absorbing information. Ive heard term vcdl many times but havent really looked into it yet. I guess that's what I'll do right now

Solid move. They are very pro active on the second ammendment in Va and lobby hard to introduce pro gun bills in the State Legislative sessions since
the 90's. Add it all up, with the NRA, OCDO, GOA, and VCDL, we become the lobbyist, we the people. Quite a formidable group.:)

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
www.VCDL.org They are the premier gun owner rights group in Virginia. Joining is the best $25 you'll spend. If nothing else sign up for the free email alerts.
And Welcome to OCDO :)

Last edited:

lil_shawn1990

Thanks to both of you. I am getting ready to move to base housing next month so I will wait til then to join since they said it can take 10 weeks to process my application. Don't want it to get lost in the mail

TFred

www.VCDL.org They are the premier gun owner rights group in Virginia. Joining is the best $25 you'll spend. If nothing else sign up for the free email alerts.
And Welcome to OCDO :)
And if you want to see what VCDL is known and feared* for... check out this past year's Legislative Action page.

Most of the good bills were passed, most of the bad bills were killed. Just the way it should be.

TFred

* Feared by the "other side!"

t33j

Ive open carried everywhere in fburg that ive been and havent had any issues except for when me and the wife went downtown to an anique shop, a gentlemen mumblee under his breath sarcasticly "that makes me feel safe" to his friend. I stopped and said what was that sir. He was in shock that I confronted him but he went on to tell me that he "doesnt think that high schoolers should be walking around with nine strapped to his hip." I went on to tell him that I wasnt in high school and that im 22 years old and and havr served my country for 4 years and am currently in the beginning of another 4 year contract and that this is not a nine on my hip, its a .40 s&w shield. He askrd why I needed a gun to antique shop ad I told him to protect my family and myself . Then he asked why I dont hide it and I told him because I do not have a permit to do so. He asked if I had one to carry like I was doing, so I pulled my wallet out and gave him one of those handy dandy open carry business cards that ED gives you. Needless to say the guy came away from tjis with a different point of view snd ended up saying he was srry for misjudging me and my gun and telling me "thank you for your service"

Do you remember which antique shop?

It's not fishing, but would you like to attend a practical pistol practice match in Culpeper next weekend? http://s965.photobucket.com/user/formfill/media/CMYI_April_2013_12000_zps89baa270.mp4.html http://s965.photobucket.com/user/formfill/media/CMYI_Nov_2012_12000.mp4.html?sort=3&o=19

lil_shawn1990

Tricorn

Monday evening went to Rosner Toyota to drop the truck off. Check Engine light had come on.
Wednesday evening back to Rosner to pick up the pick-up. Empress wanted a few items at Target so over to Cosner's Corner. Then Mimi's for dinner. Next to Lowe's at Southpoint II to get an item Target didn't have. Finally grocery shopping at Giant on Courthouse Rd.

lil_shawn1990

Bdubs for dinner, ulta with the wife, gnc, then wawas for beer. All in central park. All good. One lady said "I wish I could carry a gun like that" I replied "you can as long as your not a felon" and gave her an OC card.

POPS VA

I have not posted on this thread in a while but I OC every day. In the last couple of weeks I have been to WAWA on Rt 3 chancellor, both Home Depot and Lowes on Rt 3 and Central Park, Giant on Rt 218, The ABC on 218 (they always speak of my side arm in a friendly way) Sheetz at Ferry Farms, all of my supply houses (they are all 2A Supporters). All jobsites, Walmart on 218, and multiple 7-11s, no issues anywhere. I am sure I have OC'd in other places I haven't mentioned but because of OCDO it has become second nature and other than situational awarness I feel funny if I am not carrying. Thanks to all of you for letting me know, I am not alone:)