• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask LEO a question

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Scout wrote:
Not sure if you know the answer to this one, but let me check anyway.

What are the laws governing a meeting open to the public held on private property?

Can they restrict access?

If so for what reasons?

Can they prohibit your ability to photograph or video tape the activities?

I need a definitive answer here, preferably with references to statutes in order to prepare for the next MMM meeting. :cool:

Most of what you are looking for is in the tax code for 502(c)(3) organizations. In order to maintain their tax exempt status they have to avoid direct support of candidates, lobbying, and there is an open meeting requirement.

The parts relating to private property will be in the states codes for trespassing, and other similar issues.

To look it all up will take some time. Perhaps Citizen could be persuaded.

Regards

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
To look it all up will take some time. Perhaps Citizen could be persuaded.

Regards

A bottle of Glen Morangie Port Finish, in advance, would do a lot of persuading.

Glenfiddich Solara Reserve wouldn't hurt your chances, either.

LEO 229

imported post

openryan wrote:
LEO229,

If I was to approach you while you are on duty, and I am carrying a weapon...Would you feel threatened and want to disarm me or check my license before talking further.

I was going to ask an officer a question last night, but figured I didn't need the trouble on the way home if he decided to get smart with me.

I am just wondering if the citizen is prompting the communication if you have the ability to disarm them.

I am assuming no, but wasn't sure, does the department have a policy on this?

Depends.. is it in a holster or in your hand? :)

But No... Unless your holding it in your hand I do not have a problem with it. As I posted elsewhere... I approached a guy on a motorcycle that drove by OCing. No big deal to me.

Unless I have a valid reason to disarm you.... I cannot. I would have to be able to articulate that you were some type of threat to me.

Ya, asking that cop who does not know you like I do... he would think you were some smart ass with a gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
... he would think you were some smart ass with a gun.

Hey! Great idea, LEO229!

Manassas and Loudoun Police = Smart Asses With Guns. SAWGS.

(You can think of them seriously; but, once you're out their clutches don't treat them seriously.)

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Hey! Great idea, LEO229!

Manassas and Loudoun Police = Smart Asses With Guns. SAWGS.

(You can think of them seriously; but, once you're out their clutches don't treat them seriously.)
Cit.... play nice.... :p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Hey!  Great idea, LEO229!

Manassas and Loudoun Police = Smart Asses With Guns.  SAWGS.

Cit....  play nice.... :p
I swear, we can't leave you two alone for a second...:banghead:

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
So, when you see someone OC'ing do you think they are from the group? Do you wonder, who is that? As if you already know him/her from the forums?

I've seen a few people OC'ing and have always asked if they knew about the forum, so far everyone has.

Oh Ya.... I do wonder... I am waiting for someone to ask.. "Hey, are you LEO 229?"

Then my secret identity would be revealed.
I will admit, I look for something involving 229 when I see some LEOs. Don't know if it really has anything to do with it, but just from the way my mind works. Circles within Circles, plans within plans. It is my job to see through all those.

nemo

imported post

> But back to the Magistrate.... If your sidearm was out in the open....

> what did they say to the magistrate? You did hear them testify, right?

> Did they say it was covered by a coat or something?

They did not address the concealed vs. open issue at all, only how bad I was (and I was very bad).

I was taken aback, yes, indeedy, in discovering that I had gone from being detained, in the store, to being arrested, at the magistrate’s. Not knowing the system, I chose not to speak up (yes; with perfect hindsight, I should have asked the cop, immediately on learning that I was now under arrest, what were the charges, and, then knowing that I was charged with CC, I could easily have refuted them by showing my holster, still in the OC position, at that point. As it was, I did not ask, so I learned the charges only at the very end of my time with the magistrate, at just about the time when it would do me the least good).

But, in defense of my ignorance, knowing that OC is legal, I expected the cop to say that he arrested me for OC and expected the magistrate to then slap him down (I was looking forward to that part!) also, I expected to be able to say at least a few words on my own behalf. Obviously, though, that did not happen. As stated, when I learned that I was under arrest, I decided not to speak unless spoken to, and, in the face of the clear bias of the magistrate, I was not inclined to speak.

> You did not have to speak to the Magistrate... but it is best to get your side out

> BEFORE the warrant is issued. You did not have to admit to anything but rather...

> explain what is already known. That will not hurt your case.

Remember that I had no idea, then, and not much idea, now, of how the system works. Having said that, I darn sure would do things differently NOW, knowing what I know NOW. You’re darn tootin’ that I would say something, and right from the get-go!

This has not stopped my from OC, though it has dramatically increased the level of nervousness displayed by my wife. Sorry ‘bout that, Chief.

LEO 229

imported post

Nemo... now you know.... :) From what I have read here... your the first to actually get locked up for OC and having an attitude.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

On a completely different subject and because its on this morning. What do LEOs think of the movie Serpico?

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
On a completely different subject and because its on this morning. What do LEOs think of the movie Serpico?

Do not really talk about it. Good movie...!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:

Interesting story and guy:

He returned to New York City quietly in 1980. He currently resides in the mountains of New York State, studying and lecturing on occasion to students at universities and police academies and sharing experiences with police officers who are currently going through similar experiences. He still speaks out against police corruption and brutality. Frank has studied various cultures and speaks a number of languages. He has also studied animal and human behavior, alternative medicine, music, art, literature and philosophy among other disciplines. He continues to speak out against both the weakening of civil liberties and corrupt practices in law enforcement, such as the alleged cover-up following the Amadou Diallo shooting in 1999. He provides support for "individuals who seek truth and justice even in the face of great personal risk." He calls them "lamp lighters", a term he prefers to the more common "whistleblowers", because it evokes memories of the historic ride in which Paul Revere made a great deal of noise and caused the lanterns to be lit.

Very eclectic in his interests (rigorous too?). Stands on his convictions, too.

I remember seeing the movie and reading the book and being introduced to the BHP which held an amazing (to me at the time) 13 rounds. Wanted to get one of those bad. Never did.

LEO 229

imported post

I guess I should point out thatmost cops are good and wantto do the right thing... the idea of a blue wall is not as prevalent as it used to be.

I know of a few cops that did stuff that was reported by other cops to the supervisor. This was because they knew it was wrong and they would not condone it.

I too have reported activity that I felt was inappropriate. If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation.. I will pull them aside and tell them about it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I know of a few cops that did stuff that was reported by other cops to the supervisor. This was because they knew it was wrong and they would not condone it.

I too have reported activity that I felt was inappropriate. If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation.
Do the reported officers take it as constructive criticism? Or do they get mad as hell?

LEO 229 wrote:
If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation.. I will pull them aside and tell them about it.
When you do it in this informalmanner do they react favorably or unfavorably?

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I too have reported activity that I felt was inappropriate. If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation.
Do the reported officers take it as constructive criticism? Or do they get mad as hell?

LEO 229 wrote:
If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation.. I will pull them aside and tell them about it.
When you do it in this informalmanner do they react favorably or unfavorably?

If they get reported... they are obviously ticked that they were caught.

Those you pull aside just did not know and are OK with being told.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
LEO229,

If I was to approach you while you are on duty, and I am carrying a weapon...Would you feel threatened and want to disarm me or check my license before talking further.

I was going to ask an officer a question last night, but figured I didn't need the trouble on the way home if he decided to get smart with me.

I am just wondering if the citizen is prompting the communication if you have the ability to disarm them.

I am assuming no, but wasn't sure, does the department have a policy on this?

Well it happened on the way to work today, although inadvertently.

As I have said may times, I live in Indiana, Nortwestern tip, I was on my way to work and was overcome by thirst, so I pulled into the gas station.

A Griffith police officer, was filling his cup looks at me, and says, who are you with?

I tell him myself, it is clear I work for a bank, the marquee is on my shirt...

But regardless, he asked me why I was carrying.. (at no time did he ask for permit at all!)

I told him I was going to East Chicago, bad area! He then looked at me and said "I'd carry a machine gun"

I was shocked.

We talked for a few minutes about random things, then I left.

Interesting encounter.