• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask LEO a question

LEO 229

imported post

openryan wrote:
... Snip

I told him I was going to East Chicago, bad area! He then looked at me and said "I'd carry a machine gun"

I was shocked.

We talked for a few minutes about random things, then I left.

Interesting encounter.
Nice to see he had a sense of humor. :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP If it is a minor indiscretion and not an obvious violation..
What would be some examples of minor indiscretions? No, I won't cut off the sports car or pool if I don't like the answer. :)

LEO 229

imported post

I want full access to the wine cellar again...

Minor would be....

If an officer was being rude or giving information that was not accurate.

Not completing an investigation or messing up evidence.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sure. By the way, were you planning anything special for us this weekend? Or were just planning to drink my special reserve stock by yourself?

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sure. By the way, were you planning anything special for us this weekend? Or were just planning to drink my special reserve stock by yourself?
Are you off this weekend?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Are you off this weekend?

After your earlier comments about money and walking, I'm beginning to think you might be asking so you can plansharing my wine with someone else in the event I do have to work this weekend.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Here's a new one for you, LEO 229, a non-controversial one.

From your experience and broad knowledge do LEOs always use Level 2 or Level 3 retention holsters on uniformed duty?

LEO 229

imported post

Each department has a different holster.

My department has switched three times in 15 years. Many are going to Level 2 and I have seen very few with level 3.

I loved my thumb break holster!!! I had the perfect grip and snap release!!! This new holster is no better and really does not offer any better retention. Any criminal can go to a store and check it out in person. they can see how it operates and then get your gun if they want it.

I have actually heard about Latino gangs practicing the technique to do it in mock scenarios.

So I practice keeping my elbow over it while near people. Hitting my arm is going to be my first indication your reaching for it. I can press my arm down and this will stop you from releasing the catch plus.... stop you cold from drawing out the gun had you been able to release it.

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have actually heard about Latino gangs practicing the technique to do it in mock scenarios.
We were briefed on this about three years ago. One gun take away session resulted in sending a fellow gang member to the hospital with a hole in his belly! Seems they only removed the mag and did not check the chamber before practicing!

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Each department has a different holster.

My department has switched three times in 15 years. Many are going to Level 2 and I have seen very few with level 3.
Thanks, LEO 229. Are all PDs at least Level 1, then?

cato wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
We were briefed on this about three years ago. One gun take away session resulted in sending a fellow gang member to the hospital with a hole in his belly! Seems they only removed the mag and did not check the chamber before practicing!

This is interesting. So, if the Latino gangs arepracticing snatches from Level 2s (and maybe 3s) from LEOs , then wouldn't they eventually figure out that an easier target would be a civilian OCer who may not have any retention on his holster at all???

Seems like a no-brainer.

And wehave some history already. The guy who was in the Wal-Mart and had his pistol snatched out of his holster.

If I were one of those gang bangers and wanted to snatch a gun, I sure wouldn't try it with an LEO if some regular citizens OCing were available...

I believe Level I is just a snap thumb break holster. This is a minimum standard.

Level II incorporates someone other then a snap top. Level III would be a combination of level II and one additional step.

The gang bangers get the holsters and then practice. They also do drills in prison on how to step in and remove a gun. But the real training happens when they purchase YOUR same holster.

I already mentioned that anyone that OCs is a target. If your showing off that beautiful gun... your a possible target. It is like walking up to the ATM and then taking out cash. Your not going to be robbed all the time but it can and does happen.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
This is interesting. So, if the Latino gangs arepracticing snatches from Level 2s (and maybe 3s) from LEOs , then wouldn't they eventually figure out that an easier target would be a civilian OCer who may not have any retention on his holster at all???

Seems like a no-brainer.
The problem with that, from the gang's perspective, is the huge variety of holsters a civilian OCer might be carrying in. In many PDs, everyone has to use the same weapon & holster, so that's the only thing the gangs have to train on...

AbNo

imported post

I don't think this is going to be QUITE the epidemic You are suggesting. Certainly something to watch for, if possible, but I don't think we'll see a rash of this.

And gods help anyone that fails at trying to snatch off an OC'er.

As a side note, I'm kind of glad whenever I go anywhere, I almost always have a buddy of mine with me, and when I was telling him what I had recently learned about VA OC, he was pleased.

Think I'll pass this on to him, since we were both planning on getting a CHP anyway...

Then again, this is the guy I go to the range with, so I KNOW he's pro 2A. Hells, I loaned him the cash to get a Taurus 92FS. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Seems like a no-brainer.
The problem with that, from the gang's perspective, is the huge variety of holsters a civilian OCer might be carrying in. In many PDs, everyone has to use the same weapon & holster, so that's the only thing the gangs have to train on...

How many OCers actually use a holster other than a thumb break snap?? Easy concept to grast.. Break the snap and pull up.

Not many Level II or III holsters other then those designed for duty belts.

I did post once already about an OC guy that was walking out to his car when two fine, upstanding, young men approached. One had a gun and when the two walked away.. they both had guns. :(

In this case... they did not snatch it but rather jacked him for it.

LEO 229

imported post

Just because your armed.. doesn't mean someone will not try to deprive you of your gun while out with your family... minding your own business.

Going for a LEO gun is not a good idea and you would have every cops in the area headed in your direction. But a citizens gun... and take their phone. The criminals have been taking the victim's phone now too after they rob them. I have seen this rather often.

Be safe and be aware.... :)

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
How many OCers actually use a holster other than a thumb break snap?? Easy concept to grast.. Break the snap and pull up.
Several members here (myself included) carry using the Blackhawk Sherpa, which is level 2, and not thumb break...

AbNo

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Several members here (myself included) carry using the Blackhawk Sherpa, which is level 2, and not thumb break...

I've seen a lot of recommendations for that...

If they make it for a 4" XD, how do you release it, anyway? If they don't, I don't care... :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Ahh.. OK. Good to know.