• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry in a WA State liquor store?

xpun8

imported post

Here's some more info, none that really answer the OP, but interesting none the less.
Here is a link that talks about the signage required. WAC 314-11-060
There's nothing mentioning liquor stores.
Interesting things to me:
1. Section 5-
(5) Firearms prohibited signs provided by the board must be posted in each tavern and lounge (per RCW 9.41.300).
Why only taverns and lounges? Why not everywhere persons under 21 are prohibited from entering. Is it only illegal to carry where they serve? Is the bar area in a restaurant considered a lounge (this area per section 1 has to have a sign prohibiting minors)? Why can't the two types of signs in section 1 have a no firearms line? It would certainly make things a little more clear.

2. Apparently the only places that need to post the "minors prohibited" signs are places that have a license from the liquor control board. Do liquor control board "stores" have to have a license?

3. Why does the LCB or state have to run the liquor stores? I'm not from these parts originally. WY and CO the sale of liquor is a little more lax, in fact you can drive up to a window and ask for a case of "your beer" or a bottle of "your poison" and drive away after the purchase.

I figured that since we haven't found a definative answer that I'd stir the pot little. :)

Dave Workman

imported post

xpun8:

The taverns and lounges thing is because people are in there specifically drinking alcoholic beverages.. It has not always been that way, but it is now, and it is silly. I used to carry in taverns and lounges all the time when it was legal, and nobody got shot.

The state is in the monopoly liquor control business. Been that way since prohibition was lifted, far as I know. The liquor control board CONTROLS liquor, consumption and sale. The legislature has toyed with the idea of changing that, but then some lobbyist explains that the state would lose its monopoly and with it a big pile of revenue.,

This ain't Wyoming or Colorado. Oh, well.

amlevin

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
xpun8:

The taverns and lounges thing is because people are in there specifically drinking alcoholic beverages.. It has not always been that way, but it is now, and it is silly. I used to carry in taverns and lounges all the time when it was legal, and nobody got shot.

The state is in the monopoly liquor control business. Been that way since prohibition was lifted, far as I know. The liquor control board CONTROLS liquor, consumption and sale. The legislature has toyed with the idea of changing that, but then some lobbyist explains that the state would lose its monopoly and with it a big pile of revenue.,

The Steele Act of 1933 made Washington State the sole source of "distilled spirits" sold in the state.

Agent 47

imported post

I just talked with an officer with the LCB ( they are here qualifying today ) and asked him the question "Is it legal to carry a gun in a liquor store?" He said he would talk to his CO and get back with me. About an hour later he came back out into the store and said he had talked with his CO who called the state office and confirmed there are no laws prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms inside a liquor store. He then said I would have to abide by any local laws depending on which store I went to but when I mentioned state preemption he agreed that I could go into any liquor store in the state, armed.

:celebrate:):celebrate:)

just_a_car

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
I just talked with an officer with the LCB ( they are here qualifying today ) and asked him the question "Is it legal to carry a gun in a liquor store?" He said he would talk to his CO and get back with me. About an hour later he came back out into the store and said he had talked with his CO who called the state office and confirmed there are no laws prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms inside a liquor store. He then said I would have to abide by any local laws depending on which store I went to but when I mentioned state preemption he agreed that I could go into any liquor store in the state, armed.

:celebrate:):celebrate:)
Outstanding, Aaron!!! Thanks for the update.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

Too bad the State Consitution prohibits monopolies.

Steve

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

Too bad the State Consitution prohibits monopolies.

Steve
The more I think about the State monopolizing the Liquor business the more I need a drink. Damn!

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Ahh, the one good thing about Kalifornia, I could get a bottle just about anywhere! Still, it was two years in hell.
With the rest of the BS they have to put up with in CA, I would expect the supermarkets to carry liquor. People there need to drink (a lot) to put up with their taxes, regulations, and corruption.

BluesBear

imported post

amlevin wrote:
With the rest of the BS they have to put up with in CA, I would expect the supermarkets to carry liquor. People there need to drink (a lot) to put up with their taxes, regulations, and corruption.

You don't think a sane, sober society would electSchvartzenkennedy do you?

:banghead:

LkWd_Don

slugsgomoo wrote:

You have completely missed the point of this whole thread. We all know what 9.41.300 says.

The entire debate is whether or not the liquor control board has classified the liquor store as off limits.

Back to that point--I checked the other day and indeed there was a sign saying minors were only permitted with parents and it had a number on it making it look official--not just printed by the local manager...

so, we really don't know still... no definitive answer has yet been found on whether a liquor store allowspeople under 21 to enter "officially".

As I have not read through all the posts here on this thread, I will apologize in advance if this has been satisfactorily answered already.
I know that this is not a cite of an RCW but is of a WAC "Administrative Code".
WAC 314.16.150 does not state that those under 21 are Prohibited, it simply states that the sale will not be made to minors.
No sale of liquor to minors, intoxicated persons, etc.
(1) No retail licensee shall give or otherwise supply liquor to any person under the age of twenty-one years, either for his/her own use or for the use of his/her parent or of any other person; or to any person apparently under the influence of liquor; nor shall any licensee or employee thereof permit any person under the said age or in said condition to consume liquor on his/her premises, or on any premises adjacent thereto and under his/her control ~~ clipped ~~ http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=314-16-150

I have yet to find something that requires Liquor Stores to post "No persons under 21" ; "Persons under 21 Prohibited from entry" or anything to that effect.

So, I would suggest that if there is no clear indication that you may or may not be violating the law, that you might want to contact a Gun Rights Attorney.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
........ About an hour later he came back out into the store and said he had talked with his CO who called the state office and confirmed there are no laws prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms inside a liquor store............... when I mentioned state preemption he agreed that I could go into any liquor store in the state, armed.

I OC in "State Stores" all the time in Bellingham. If kids can go in, so does my weapon. That is the way I read the RCW. I did have a little girl behind the counter get a bit excited once, but the gun rights brochure always helps. Sorry, personal opinions or fears do not preempt my carry.

LkWd_Don

It is really a moot point anyways, since there won't be any state stores in a few months.

It may be that they will come out with a whole new set of laws governing retail liquor sales after the State turns things over, then again, after the State is out of running liquor stores, those stores will be private property and could deny rights individually, which is partially why I posted to (even though someone called it) a zombie thread.

Strange how trying to provide good info to refresh minds is so abhorrent to some.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As I have not read through all the posts here on this thread<snip>

So, I would suggest that if there is no clear indication that you may or may not be violating the law, that you might want to contact a Gun Rights Attorney.

Perhaps if you read the entire thread you would have a better understanding than providing incorrect and outdated information. This board has letters from district managers of the WSLCB stating that carry is legal.

Thought I covered that already! Does that imply that some do not even read the post in front of them?

Clearly I read the entire thread. You did not. You are trolling and being disrespectful to those on this board.

It may be that they will come out with a whole new set of laws governing retail liquor sales after the State turns things over, then again, after the State is out of running liquor stores, those stores will be private property and could deny rights individually, which is partially why I posted to (even though someone called it) a zombie thread.

Strange how trying to provide good info to refresh minds is so abhorrent to some.

I will congratulate you for reading old threads. Many new members don't, then they post questions that have been answered over and over. Good job. But you have proven yourself rude several times now.

LINK to WSLCB letter

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Thought I covered that already! Does that imply that some do not even read the post in front of them?

No, you didn't cover that. You merely apologized in advance for yourself not bothering to read the prior posts in the thread. A 5 year old thread that if you are going to resurrect, should have been read in it's entirety so you would know what you were posting about.

When I first saw the thread, my first thought was " Oh Good Grief.......is someone bringing this subject up again??" This is a non issue at this point.
Then when I started reading from the first post, I realized it was a 5 year old thread:banghead:

68 posts in less than 30 days. Normally, I would have thought that you had lurked for a year or two and read and familiarized yourself with all that has gone on here and the current issues at hand. Now, I'm not so sure you have done that :banghead:

"Good" info is not abhorrent. I look forward to good info. However, my mind does not need to be refreshed thank you, and I certainly don't need to be lectured/advised to contact a good gun rights attorney before carrying into a liquor store.