• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stopped at waterside norfolk

S&W1911

imported post

id first just like to say hi to everyone im new to the OC board

well to the story i believe it was a few monthes ago

my buddy his girlfriend and i were going to hooters in waterside to get some lunch my buddy was driving my truck cuz i didnt feel like it its a lifted f-250 diesel and in the parking garage we had a lil prob with the how tall my truck was i was CC till i sat on the window seal to watch and see if we were gunna make it so there was a line of cars behind us as we drove in cuz we were going so slow and we finailly found a spot he backed in i put my gun in the glove box cuz i was gunna have a beer with my lunch well no sooner than i shut the door 2 cops jump out of the car and run over to me saying "I NEED TO SEE UR CC PERMIT" in a GET ON THE GROUND kinda voice i guess this was the highlight of the day "omg a gun lets get him" well anyways i said "i dont need a permit i dont even have it on me" he said " its concealed in ur truck now aint it?" well yeah so i showed him my permit and his aditude compleatly changed like (damnit i dont get to bust him now) well he said he saw it when i was sitting on the window and so did everybody els and it wouldent be a good idea to park there i guess he was right so we just parked up front the cops were being reall a$$holes till they saw i had a permit tho but anyways thats my only story so far

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome aboard, S&amp.

The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle. Otherwise it would have been a target for thieves. You say this was a few months ago. If you've read any of the other recent threads about the Norfolk police, you know they have a rep for "overzealousness" to say the least. We are trying to remedy this, and I'd like to think it might already be a bit better. By the way, a whole bunch of us OC'd at Waterside Hooters after going to a Norfolk city council meeting to complain about their harrassment and brutality towards some of our members. We had no problems there. (?safety in numbers?)

(You don't need to like English class. Just capitalize the first word of each sentence, put a period at the end of each complete thought, and you're pretty much good to go.) :celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

S&W1911 wrote:
sorry :(i hated english class
Just a simple comment.

You may have hated your "english class", but by now, I can assure you, it's coming back to haunt you. You are, and will be judged, by how well you speak and write. Do yourself a big favor and learn to do this better than your peers. You will be surprised how impressions of and about you will change.

Again, just some friendly advice.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.
Don't the Norfolk Police read the decisions of the VA Supreme Court?

Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.

LEO 229

imported post

If your locking it up and exiting the vehicle.... I do not see this as a violation.

I see from Mike's post that the VA SC feels the same way.

kerchaulk

imported post

Mike wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
The police can get pretty touchy about illegally concealed weapons, though it appears they overreacted in your case. It doesn't seem to me you were actually concealing, just putting the gun out of view while leaving the vehicle.

Under Pruit v. Commonwealth (Va. 2007), available at http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/va-pruitt.pdf, it is not unlawful to secure your gun in an unlocked compartment of a car before you exit the vehicle, even if you do not have a CHP. See http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1987.asp

Please do make at least an informal complaint to the NPD and cite this case, asking them to brief up their officers ASAP.

So, if I leave my gun in the car briefly, I don't have to securely wrap or lock it up in the trunk? It cannot be considered concealed if I am not in the vehicle? I only ask, because I posted a similar question before and did not get any specific answers.

LEO 229

imported post

kerchaulk wrote:
Mike wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:

So, if I leave my gun in the car briefly, I don't have to securely wrap or lock it up in the trunk? It cannot be considered concealed if I am not in the vehicle? I only ask, because I posted a similar question before and did not get any specific answers.

The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

I cannot understand why people are getting locked up for this. :shock:

Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

The Virginia Supreme Court has decided that it is NOT concealed if your leaving the vehicle.

Would they have you believe that if your leave your gun in your car... you must leave it out in the open? So people can come by, see it, break the window, and steal it?

LEOs aren't always the brightest of bulbs...the sharpest of pencils.....:p

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

They must not have much crime down there and looking for anything.

Now I know where I will go to retire!

bayboy42

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

No LEO, thats part of the problem.......Norfolk is riddled with true crime events........definitely no shortage of it there.........guess the LEOs are too busy dealing with "other" issues:banghead::cuss:

S&W1911

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Norfolk has a pretty high crime rate and its not getting any better.

LEO 229

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

No LEO, thats part of the problem.......Norfolk is riddled with true crime events........definitely no shortage of it there.........guess the LEOs are too busy dealing with "other" issues:banghead::cuss:
I was kidding..... I am not going to retire down there either. :lol:

S&W1911

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
kerchaulk wrote:
Mike wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:

I thought about that when he told me "ITS CONCEALED NOW AINT IT".

Iwas reallytrying to avoida conflict.

S&W1911

imported post

Mike wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:

Im really kinda mad now:X. The more i think about it the more i wish i would have argued with him.:cuss:

Thank you for the info and il be sure to make my complaint.