• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Tacoma

compmanio365

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Some sort of armed stand off here this morning. They took it over to Tac1 which is encrypted.

:cuss:
So what kind of scanner do you have? I was looking at one, but it was analog and given the price I was pretty sure it wasn't going to get Tacoma PD, maybe Pierce but I don't know if they are on trunked 800 Mhz or not.......I want one but I don't want to shell out hundreds to get one either......for the price of one of the good scanners I bet I could purchase another pistol or lots of ammo.......

Mainsail

imported post

I have the Uniden BC396, which runs about $500 or so. No, the cheap analog scanner won’t be able to receive and decode the system Tacoma uses. Pierce county sheriffs are still analog, but I’m not sure for how much longer. Steilacoom, Gig Harbor, DuPont, and Lakewood are all dispatched through Pierce County West on 155.640.

gregma

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.

There is NO law/code against carrying at ANY alcohol serving/selling establishment here in Utah. I don't drink when my wife and I are out due to the fact 1) I drive 2) I don't wanna "loose" control of NOT being able to defend myself and my wife at ANY time.

Carry on:celebrate.
That's true, but 100's of people are killed every night because "their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.".....

What?? You mean they AREN'T?? :what:

Imagine that...:lol:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I have the Uniden BC396, which runs about $500 or so. No, the cheap analog scanner won’t be able to receive and decode the system Tacoma uses. Pierce county sheriffs are still analog, but I’m not sure for how much longer. Steilacoom, Gig Harbor, DuPont, and Lakewood are all dispatched through Pierce County West on 155.640.
I was getting OPD or maybe TCS unsure of which but think OPD since they were respond to city addresses on my crappy West Marine handheld VHF on channel 12 I think. Can't remember now as I returned the POS (battery charger never worked) but it was fun to listen to the calls.

Steve

Mainsail

imported post

7 Nov 2007

2120: Man with a gun call. Black male, all black clothing, 9th and Commerce. The beeper is on.
2123: They think he’s on the bus, they are also mentioning a victim who may be on the bus. I never heard anything about a crime, but suddenly there’s a victim.
2126: Officer reports the [his emphasis] ‘alleged’ suspect in custody. Cancel the beeper.

BluesBear

imported post

gregma wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
Just to help clarify regarding cc, you may carry in a grocery store or other place that sells alcohol. You may not in a bar or place that serves alcohol. You are probably well aware of this mainsail, but the reasoning behind not carrying in a bar is that when people drink, their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.

There is NO law/code against carrying at ANY alcohol serving/selling establishment here in Utah. I don't drink when my wife and I are out due to the fact 1) I drive 2) I don't wanna "loose" control of NOT being able to defend myself and my wife at ANY time.

Carry on:celebrate.
That's true, but 100's of people are killed every night because "their judgement is impaired and a bar fight may become a gunfight.".....

What?? You mean they AREN'T?? :what:

Imagine that...:lol:

But what about people like me who go out to hear live music and don't drink alcohol? Why should I be forced to become disarmed? Most shooting incidents at bars occur when someone gets mad, leaves the bar and then returns with a gun[suP]1[/suP]. Like most shootings they do this knowingthere is a good chance that therewill be no oneto shoot back. Quite often people are shot outside, after they leave the nightclub[suP]2[/suP].

Policemen are allowed to carry in bars and the rate of alcohol abuse among policemen is over double the national norm[suP]3[/suP]. One in four police[suP]4[/suP] officers are dependent on alcohol whilethe national averageof adults who abuse alcohol is one in ten[suP]5[/suP].

Laws prohibiting concealed carry in bars, taverns, nightclubs and other places that sell liquor by the drink are silly and ineffective.I am allowed to drive myself to and from a bar if I am sober. Why can't I carry as long as I am sober? Why am I forced to either leave my gun at home which means I am disarmed completely as I go to and from or to leave it securely locked in my automobile. After all,who ever heard of a car being burgled while parked near a nightclub?

As a person who has had their car stolen, I NEVER leave a firearm unattended in my car.

Oh yeah, how about some cites? Unlike some cowards and buffoons,I can back up my statements.

[suP]1[/suP] http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/334587_shooting.html

[suP]2 [/suP]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002951466_woundedman25m.html

[suP]3 [/suP]The FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin January 1999 by John M. Violanti, PhD[suP][/suP]

[suP]4[/suP] http://www.cophealth.com/articles/articles_dying_a.html
[suP][/suP]

[suP]5[/suP]E. Kirschman, I Love A Cop (New York: Guilford Press, 1997), 158

joshmmm

imported post

Even more strange is that our law allows a drunk person to possess a gun outside of a bar while not allowing a sober person to possess a gun inside a bar (unless they are the owner or security staff--and then they could legally be drunk.)

Common sense says to not carry while drunk, but, in WA, I have found no law prohibiting carrying while drunk. Other states have far better laws; gun in bar ok, drunk with gun anywhere--not ok.

I was recently in my vehicle (passenger seat) while drunk. My friend was stopped for speeding. My gun was in my glove boxsince we had been at a bar.(insurance/reg inthe glove box too) The officer held onto the gun for his safety during the stop(I was fine with that, I didn't have any need for a gun while drunk). He handed it back to me at the end of the stop. No big deal at all. My friend did not have a CPL so he clearly returned possession of the gun to the drunk guy. (I was nowhere close to .08, btw... he clearly knew I was wasted.)

We should really try to get the law changed. We would need a very good legislator to effect a positive change on this though. I don't want to give up the right to have a gun while drunk (maybe stupid, but, hey, why give up a right if you don't get anything back, right?) if I am not gaining the right to have a gun in a bar. This mistaken law(s) needs to be flipped around!

expvideo

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Even more strange is that our law allows a drunk person to possess a gun outside of a bar while not allowing a sober person to possess a gun inside a bar (unless they are the owner or security staff--and then they could legally be drunk.)

Common sense says to not carry while drunk, but, in WA, I have found no law prohibiting carrying while drunk. Other states have far better laws; gun in bar ok, drunk with gun anywhere--not ok.

I was recently in my vehicle (passenger seat) while drunk. My friend was stopped for speeding. My gun was in my glove boxsince we had been at a bar.(insurance/reg inthe glove box too) The officer held onto the gun for his safety during the stop (I was fine with that, I didn't have any need for a gun while drunk). He handed it back to me at the end of the stop. No big deal at all. My friend did not have a CPL so he clearly returned possession of the gun to the drunk guy. (I was nowhere close to .08, btw... he clearly knew I was wasted.)

We should really try to get the law changed. We would need a very good legislator to effect a positive change on this though. I don't want to give up the right to have a gun while drunk (maybe stupid, but, hey, why give up a right if you don't get anything back, right?) if I am not gaining the right to have a gun in a bar. This mistaken law(s) needs to be flipped around!

actually RCW 9.41.098 authorizes a police officer to confiscate your firearm (and never give it back) if you are determined to be under the influence of intoxicating liqour, as defined by DUI laws (RCW 46.61). However, you are correct that they can't arrest you for being drunk and having a gun, unless they want to consider your being under the influence to warrant alarm for the safety of others, as defined by RCW 9.41.270.
...in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that... warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
They may have trouble proving that one, but it doesn't mean they won't charge you with it. The officer could argue that the circumstances of your carrying while intoxicatedwarranted alarm. This is a misinterpretation of the law, but it may actually hold up in court, but fail in appeal. Can you afford to take it that far?

Also, as a side note, I just noticed the most important part of that sentence... "...and at a time and place..." not "or at a time and place", meaning that not only do the manner and circumstances have to be questionable, but so does the time and place. This could be VERY hard to prove. So the officer can't just say "your manner of carry warrants alarm", he also must articulate that it warrants alarm "under those circumstances and at that time and place".

BluesBear

imported post

Yes it's the "AND" in that sentence that we often cite. It's what makes simply having a gun not enough to warrant alarm. You have to be doing something with that gun that warrants alarm for that particular place and time.

For example;

• sitting on a downtown bus bench with your buddies, witha holstered sidearm on your hip is not enough to warrant alarm.
  • sitting on a downtown bus bench with your buddies, passing around the Ed Brown Bobtail you just bought isenough to warrant alarm.
It used to be that people used common sense when they looked at what other people were doing. Nowadays common sense is quite uncommon.

heresolong

imported post

expvideo wrote:
joshmmm wrote: actually RCW 9.41.098 authorizes a police officer to confiscate your firearm (and never give it back) if you are determined to be under the influence of intoxicating liqour,
Actually actually it says "In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor,"

What the heck is that supposed to mean? In what places do you have to have a concealed pistol license in order to possess a gun? Do they mean any place in which you are carrying concealed? So if you were open carrying and you were rip roaring drunk it would be OK since you don't need a CPL to open carry.

expvideo

imported post

heresolong wrote:
expvideo wrote:
joshmmm wrote: actually RCW 9.41.098 authorizes a police officer to confiscate your firearm (and never give it back) if you are determined to be under the influence of intoxicating liqour,
Actually actually it says "In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor,"

What the heck is that supposed to mean? In what places do you have to have a concealed pistol license in order to possess a gun? Do they mean any place in which you are carrying concealed? So if you were open carrying and you were rip roaring drunk it would be OK since you don't need a CPL to open carry.

They mean if you are concealing a pistol anywhere a license is required to do so, meaning anywhere that isn't:

a) your home or place of abode
b) property under your control
c) your fixed place of business

So you can be completely plastered on your own property, and the cop can't confiscate your gun. As for OC while drunk, I imagine that it would constitute RCW 9.41.270, since you are carrying in a manner (visible gun on a visibly drunk person) under circumstances (drunk) and at a time and place (pretty much anywhere public, considering the circumstances), that would warrant alarm. However, you're right that RCW 9.41.098 doesn't cover OC. I'm just saying that a cop could find other reasons to arrest you. He would also have to prove that you were intoxicated (by the same standards as DUI).

Now I should point out that if you use your gun in self defense, and you have even a 0.01% blood alcohol content, the prosecuter will crucify you. Your judgement and justification in shooting someone will be in question. This is why I avoid alcohol all-together when I'm around a gun, even at home. I put my gun in the other room if I'm planning on having a drink.

Mainsail

imported post

17 Nov 1618: Armed robbery of a citizen at Wapato park. Subject has a gun.

1635: Subject was seen leaving in a red 4-door compact car, police want medical response for the victim.

Ravenhawk

imported post

These scanner reports are an erie reminder of why most of us arm ourselves in daily walks of our lives.

A person that doesn't listen/know about the countless crimes that go on in EVERY town, city,neighborhood probly thinks "that wont happen to me".

I used to have the old fashioned scanners that required little chips to change the channel lol

Mainsail

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Okay, I guess I'm in the market for a scanner. Any recommendations?

It depends on what you want to listen to and how you would like to arrange your channels. The frequency range of the model you choose is important and all modern scanners will have a number of available memory channels and a fixed number of banks to arrange them.
**Banks are a way of arranging your memories into manageable groups. You can, for example, put all your police frequencies in one bank, fire in another, trains in another, and Air Traffic Control in yet another. You can also arrange them by city, for example, all your Gig Harbor frequencies (police, fire, and ambulances) in one bank, and Lacy in another. Under this type of system, if you only used 12 of the bank’s 100 channels, you were wasting 88 of your memories.

I’m not going to attempt to explain standard simplex (used by Pierce County) and trunked systems (used by Tacoma and Seattle); to better understand those issues, read this. Don't worry, you don't really have to completely understand trunking systems to make the scanner work.

Gig Harbor, Lakewood, Steilacoom, and Fircrest police are all dispatched on the Pierce County Sheriffs ‘West’ frequency of 155.640 MHz. Any modern scanner will work in this range.

If you want to listen to the trunked systems used by Tacoma, Seattle, or McChord AFB, you will have to spend more money. I’m using the Uniden 396 which retails for ~$500. This model uses a different system of memories and banks than standard. The 396 has 6000 memories and you can arrange them into banks of any size you choose, one channel or 1000 channels, it’s up to you. It can also follow a digital trunked system.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How would one determine which frequencies are in use by the locals?

IE, Since I live in a border area between several cities, I wouldprobably want to be able to monitor the Snohomish County Sheriff, Snohomish County Fire, Marysville Police & Fire, Arlington Police & Fire, and TulalipReservation Police. For good measure the State Patrol would probably be another one to add to that list.

I'm sure everyones list would be different.