• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP in PWC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
To pick up your application you are requiredto produce aphoto ID.
Huh? No, there is no requirement to present ID to get your permit; most jurisdictions are fgollowing FFX & Chesterfield countys' lead and simply mailing the permits to applicants' homes.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
The OP can do what he decides is best for him. His application will be on hold till he decides.
No, it better not be - it better be processed as required by law, end of story.

LEO 229 wrote:
Huh? No, there is no requirement to present ID to get your permit; most jurisdictions are fgollowing FFX & Chesterfield countys' lead and simply mailing the permits to applicants' homes.

Is this mere privileged opinion or misdirection? Why is its continuation tolerated? How many times will you say 'no, ...'?

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Yes.. I am aware of that... I posted that because that section identified thatthe courtcan collect photographs. ;)

Thanks anyway.
So what was the point of posting that? It had no relevance to the discussion. It isn't necessary for the in state permit. I am sure there are tons of things the clerk can collect photographs for, that have no relation to an in-state handgun permit.

They are creating law out of thin air.

TEX1N

imported post

hsmith wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Yes.. I am aware of that... I posted that because that section identified thatthe courtcan collect photographs. ;)

Thanks anyway.
So what was the point of posting that? It had no relevance to the discussion. It isn't necessary for the in state permit. I am sure there are tons of things the clerk can collect photographs for, that have no relation to an in-state handgun permit.

That's what I was going for. This thread has been about resident permits. LEO, your post was not relevant to this discussion...and I know that if the roles were reversed you would not have let me get away with such a distraction! ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Huh? Absolutely not - circuit courts are NOT authorized to collect photos of CHP applicants - this was rejected by Governor Allen and the General Assembly agreed with the Governor. See http://tinyurl.com/2hqr5g

The following link shows the legislature's votes on Governor Allen's
recommended changes. Scroll down to Apr 5 & 6.

http://tinyurl.com/28z6gb

Item 5 deals with photographs.

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
The OP can do what he decides is best for him. His application will be on hold till he decides.
No, it better not be - it better be processed as required by law, end of story.
Nope... I am officially putting that application on hold until he shows faxes ME a copy of his license.... :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
My wife was required to show her ID when she picked upher renewal. It only makes sense that they validatethe person receiving it is the true owner.

I could see people here bitching if a permit was given out to the wrong person. Oh Man!! They would be demanding "owner validation!!!" :p

LEO 229

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
hsmith wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Thanks anyway.

That's what I was going for. This thread has been about resident permits. LEO, your post was not relevant to this discussion...and I know that if the roles were reversed you would not have let me get away with such a distraction! ;)
You could be right.... "Take a chance.. it's your life!!" :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Huh? Absolutely not - circuit courts are NOT authorized to collect photos of CHP applicants - this was rejected by Governor Allen and the General Assembly agreed with the Governor. See http://tinyurl.com/2hqr5g

Better give him a call... it is still in the code section for out of state permits....

I provided, in good faith, what was currently in the state code.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
hsmith wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Yes, well, that is why, if you are a careful reader, you will soon become tired of similar twisted words/failure to remain on-point/answering a question not asked or downright untrueresponses by themaster of verbal judo - LEO229.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Better give him a call... it is still in the code section for out of state permits....

I provided, in good faith, what was currently in the state code.
The sub-paragragh you cited does not pertain to the court or an application for a CHP;it pertains only to a person who (1) has a permit and (2) chooses to carry concealed pursuant to that permit. A good faith defense to your essentially off topic posts can only be maintained if you admit to haveing no clue as to statutory construction.

t

LEO 229

imported post

Wow... tough crowd... They needed to send in re-enforcements to battle me.

Moderators and administrators... on my!! :lol:

Funny how the nut jobs here are allowed to ruin the board but valid arguments and comments by me are constantly attacked.

When you cannot find anything else.. you knit-pick in words and grammar or make other unfounded allegations.

You guys are the greatest!!! :celebrate

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

LEO 229 - in this case, you simply made a mistake. It would be helpful if you were able to admit that. Yourquote of statuteapplied only to out-of-state permits, which were not being discussed. Easy enough mistake....

As far as the nut jobs: they drive me crazy, too. When this site first started, there weren't any vehement, irrational, anti-LEO nut jobs. The price of popularity....

eyesopened

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
My wife was required to show her ID when she picked upher renewal. It only makes sense that they validatethe person receiving it is the true owner.

I could see people here bitching if a permit was given out to the wrong person. Oh Man!! They would be demanding "owner validation!!!" :p

I have no issue if they wanted to verify the person picking up the permit was who they were suppose to be, but in the OP case it would be mailed back to his home. His home address would be verified during the background check. My permit was mailed to me through USPS (In an envelope I supplied with proper postage $.41), it did not have delivery confirmation and did not require an adult signature. If the authorities really cared who receives the permit, they would require the person who applied to pick up the permit in person and show ID. Anyone could have intercepted my permit, the mail carrier, anyone who lives on my street or any random Joe Schmo could have gone to my mailbox.

You are required to show a valid photo ID with a CHP. Even if a CHP was forged with someone else's name, all it would take is the LEO to call it in to show the person does not hold a valid permit.

hsmith

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I have no issue if they wanted to verify the person picking up the permit was who they were suppose to be, but in the OP case it would be mailed back to his home. His home address would be verified during the background check. My permit was mailed to me through USPS (In an envelope I supplied with proper postage $.41), it did not have delivery confirmation and did not require an adult signature. If the authorities really cared who receives the permit, they would require the person who applied to pick up the permit in person and show ID. Anyone could have intercepted my permit, the mail carrier, anyone who lives on my street or any random Joe Schmo could have gone to my mailbox.

You are required to show a valid photo ID with a CHP. Even if a CHP was forged with someone else's name, all it would take is the LEO to call it in to show the person does not hold a valid permit.
But then again, this begs the question. If you intend to break the law and you aren't who the permit says you are, what does it really matter. you are still in violation of the law!

Who in their right mind would break the law to comply with the law they are breaking! Criminals are dumb, but not that dumb.

eyesopened

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Who in their right mind would break the law to comply with the law they are breaking! Criminals are dumb, but not that dumb.
Illegal aliens forge passports and visas to get into the country. Isn't that the same thing? :lol:

rabbit994

imported post

I don't even see why they even require you to carry a permit. Most cops don't even take the permit at face value, they see it, they take your driver license and see if VCIN says Permit issued because if they don't, your getting hooked up (by hooked up, I mean ticketed) regardless what some paper says. Only thing I see the permit being good for is "BTW, I have a handgun on me" card when handing over a DL.

Anyways, off the Tony's

Decoligny

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
What rights exactly.. I am curious... :?
[align=center]UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION[/align]
[align=center]BILL OF RIGHTS[/align]
Fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If they have a legal requirement for the copy, then it needs to be expressed as such in the law. To state otherwise is to demand that you relinquish your right to be secure in your papers.

Quietus

imported post

Fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers...
I am glad you posted that, since many seem to forget. The law is clear with what is required for a CWP, and I would go so far to say that it is still to much.

I respect LE for their services and I support them as best I can, but it is not my responsibility to make their job easier. What people see as "quipping" over silly little requests (such as providing an ID when you don't have too), I see as an attempt to social engineer the citizenry into compliance.

The People need to periodically "remind" our government that they are OUR servants, not vice versa. I would tell the clerk emphatically, "No, I will not show you my VA DL. Upon approval, I expect to receive my permit within the alotted time. End of discussion." Then you should report their actions.