• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP in PWC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I don't even see why they even require you to carry a permit. Most cops don't even take the permit at face value, they see it, they take your driver license and see if VCIN says Permit issued because if they don't, your getting hooked up (by hooked up, I mean ticketed) regardless what some paper says.
Many permit holders' info is either (1) not in VCIN, like me :cool:, or (2) entered incorrectly.

I have only shown my CHP to guards at the General Assembly to enter - they never check VCIN and I don;t think they have handy access to it.

The permit is valid on its face, regardless of VCIN entry status; if the police refuse to accept its status on its face, then "Houston, we have a problem." The Court, not the state police is the issuing authority for all resident permits - writing summons to such permit holders (and possibly seizing their gun as "evidence") is an abuse of power as much as writing tickets to people running green lights.

In any event, the lack of accuracy of VCIN is a good reason to drop the 24/7 verification from our reciprocity sub-section of 18.2-308 - this would in my analysis result in the following states accepting the VA CHP: NH, DE, GA, CO, and WY.

LEO 229

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
LEO 229 - in this case, you simply made a mistake. It would be helpful if you were able to admit that. Yourquote of statuteapplied only to out-of-state permits, which were not being discussed. Easy enough mistake....

As far as the nut jobs: they drive me crazy, too. When this site first started, there weren't any vehement, irrational, anti-LEO nut jobs. The price of popularity....
Not wrong when I posted something for informational purposes only.

For some reason.. people have gone overboard on this... I think I know why... LEO 229 posted it and January isopen hunting season on any LEOs.

Let's look at what I posted again.....
The only difference would be the photo and this can be collected too.

18.2-308 (p)

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall contain only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and photograph of the permittee; the signature of the Superintendent of the Virginia Department of State Police or his designee; the date of issuance; and the expiration date.

I did not say "in state" applications.... I did not go into details... but many readers have drawn their own incorrect conclusions. This is rather typical here.

I only pointed out that the state code had a section that allowed the collection of a photo. This was donein relationship to the photo ID request. I was pointing out that the photo ID was not going to have any thing that the clerk would not get anyway.

But... I am dealing with too many cop haters,administrators, and moderators that have formedbiased opinions of me.

Their problem, not mine!! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
What rights exactly.. I am curious... :?

[align=center]UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION[/align]

[align=center]BILL OF RIGHTS[/align]
Fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If they have a legal requirement for the copy, then it needs to be expressed as such in the law. To state otherwise is to demand that you relinquish your right to be secure in your papers.

The VA OL belongs to the State!!! It is not yours and the government issued it to you. It is not a secret to what is on it.

Furthermore... the clerk is not searching anyone. The clerkmade a request and the OP who does not need to comply of produce it. It is optional.

When you finish High school..... please go attend some legal classes so you can better understand the laws and their purpose.

You really do not have a clue!!! :lol:

If is needs to be written in law for it to be allowed.... then OC must not be legal.

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Let's look at what I posted again.....
The only difference would be the photo and this can be collected too.

18.2-308 (p)

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall contain only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and photograph of the permittee; the signature of the Superintendent of the Virginia Department of State Police or his designee; the date of issuance; and the expiration date.

I did not say "in state" applications.... I did not go into details... but many readers have drawn their own incorrect conclusions. This is rather typical here.

I only pointed out that the state code had a section that allowed the collection of a photo. This was donein relationship to the photo ID request. I was pointing out that the photo ID was not going to have any thing that the clerk would not get anyway.

But... I am dealing with too many cop haters,administrators, and moderators that have formedbiased opinions of me.

Their problem, not mine!! :lol:
You know, it is alright to admit you were wrong. This has nothing to do with bias people might have againt you. That is an easy way to deflect.

You tried to prove yourself right and you were proven incorrect. Simple as that.

Out of state permits requiring photos has nothing to do with in state licencese. The discussion is on in state permits. So, people correclty assume anything you are posting, unless you otherwise state, has everything to do with in state permits.

LEO 229

imported post

Once again.... you will do all you can to provemewrong... even to exploit what was said or the true intent.

Twisting things to fit your agenda....

Most know I am here for good and post alternative ways of thinking. The problem is that many fanatics cannot stand any alternative ways of thinking.... if you do not agree with them... you will always be wrong no matter what. And if you are right... they knit-pick every word you say.

There is no need to keep rehashing this. But you will... you MUST. You hate cops and it makes you feel good to bash them. :lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

You forgot the <whiney voice></whiney voice>, Anony Mouse.

((I'm not attacking LEO 229! He's LEO 229 and <sarcasm> not Anony Mouse </sarcasm>)).

I recently and momentarily enabled PM and saw all the delightful little PMs left by <sarcasm>Anony Mouse</sarcasm>. How prescient of me to know that such would have such currency.

Some here speak of "representing the pro-gun community"...

Yes, this is OT and I will suffer censorship with good grace.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

TheEggman

imported post

Back on topic for a sec ...

NOTE: I'm speaking ONLY of RESIDENT permits ...

I think there are TWO lines of thought here.

1) Requiring THAT YOU BE PHOTOGRAPHED AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
This can NOT be legally required for resident permits, period.

2) Requesting to LOOK AT your ID before handing you a permit that has already
been issued to you, but not picked up.

While #1 can NOT be required, it would seem to me that #2 is a reasonable, though needless request - AS LONG AS NO COPY OF THE ID IS MADE!

Even if a CHP were 'handed' to the wrong person, or even a bad guy, I don't see that it would do them any good since it must be presented with Photo ID when 'officially' requested anyway. Besides, if a bad guy wants a CHP they could always print their own, it's not as if they are 'secure' documents.

Egg

les_aker

imported post

TheEggman wrote:
I think there are TWO lines of thought here.

1) Requiring THAT YOU BE PHOTOGRAPHED AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
This can NOT be legally required for resident permits, period.

2) Requesting to LOOK AT your ID before handing you a permit that has already
been issued to you, but not picked up.

While #1 can NOT be required, it would seem to me that #2 is a reasonable, though needless request - AS LONG AS NO COPY OF THE ID IS MADE!

Even if a CHP were 'handed' to the wrong person, or even a bad guy, I don't see that it would do them any good since it must be presented with Photo ID when 'officially' requested anyway. Besides, if a bad guy wants a CHP they could always print their own, it's not as if they are 'secure' documents.

That pretty much spells it out.

Since the submitted form at already been notarized, the identity of the signer had been verified and noted with the raised seal on the paper.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
18.2-308 (p)

To pick up your application you are requiredto produce aphoto ID. Are you saying that since it is not explicitly in the code that the court cannot request to see yourphoto ID toget your permit when it is ready for pick up?

Can someone help me out before I go crazy? I can't reconcile what LEO229 posted as a quote of 18.2-308(P) and what the General Assembly's on-line Legislative Information Service provides as the text for 18.2-308 (P).

There is no section with a lower case (p) as in LEO229's quote, only upper case. There are two sections: (P) and (P1). Neither contains the language quoted.Section (H) has similar language, but omits the photograph part.

Below, I copy and paste directly from the General Assembly's on-line legislative service.

Here is my question: Why the discrepancy? I can't figure it out.

Link to General Assembly's on-line Legislative Information Service: http://tinyurl.com/5uwnq

18.2-308(P) and (P1):

P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

P1. Nonresidents of the Commonwealth 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Virginia Department of State Police for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. Every applicant for a nonresident concealed handgun permit shall submit two photographs of a type and kind specified by the Department of State Police for inclusion on the permit and shall submit fingerprints on a card provided by the Department of State Police for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record. As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by his local or state law-enforcement agency and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law-enforcement agencies. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths on a form provided by the Department of State Police, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. If the permittee is later found by the Department of State Police to be disqualified, the permit shall be revoked and the person shall return the permit after being so notified by the Department of State Police. The permit requirement and restriction provisions of subsections E and F shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this subsection.

18.2-308(H):

H. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; the date of issuance; and the expiration date. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police. The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The cribbed paragraph is Section P1, 9, paragraph 3. Here is the result of more sloppy police work. Kind'a like the difference between "your[sic]" and 'you're' - we're supposed to know what he means and take it in the light that he desires.

IANAL (love that acronym!) I believe it a principle of contract law that an error is to be constructed against the interest of the party drafting the contract.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Long before I wrote that dot.sig file, I used "Grasping another opportunity to be wrong." acknowledging my capability for error and willingness to argue it. Grasp the nettle of error manfully that one is not stung by error's nettles.

Xeni

imported post

I haven't gotten a call back from the clerk's office after I had left the person that had called me a voice mail.

I'll wait and see how things go; as I want to see how the natural progression of this issue will play out. Either I'll get my permit in the mail or I'll get a denial based on missing information. In case of the former, I get my permit and the system worked as intended -- yay!! In case of the later, we'll I'll make a large stink about it because it effects more than me since anyone in PWC may have to go through the same issue - and that isn't right.

My guess is that there is a misunderstanding between the clerk's office and the police department or the clerk's office is misapplying thier policy. While I don't think this is an active conspiracy to withhold me my permit it'll be interesting to see what happens.

But, rest assured I have no problem going to court over this and pressing for change.

doctork

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Once again.... you will do all you can to provemewrong... even to exploit what was said or the true intent.

Twisting things to fit your agenda....

Most know I am here for good and post alternative ways of thinking. The problem is that many fanatics cannot stand any alternative ways of thinking.... if you do not agree with them... you will always be wrong no matter what. And if you are right... they knit-pick every word you say.

There is no need to keep rehashing this. But you will... you MUST. You hate cops and it makes you feel good to bash them. :lol:
We just want the truth. You come across as a very intelligent person so my guess is that you said what you meant. From what I have read on this board the past months you come across as the "master of twisting things to fit your agenda". There may be others on this board doing the same thing but you are a part of the problem.

You say you are here for good then be honest in your posts. Don't play games, this is a very serious board and we need truth, honesty and respect for others. I sometimes wonder if you are here to help or are here to divide us. If you are here to divide us then from what I have seen lately you are failing.

You say that we hate cops. That isn't true. We hate being played with, being harassed, being manipulated, being lied to, and the list goes on and on. If that is what we are seeing in our police force then we hate how they are handling their job. We are seeing not only the officers but also the supervisors either not knowing the laws or deciding to change them to their liking. We see people being pushed around and being treated with disrespect when they have done nothing wrong.

If you want our respect, which I'm not sure you care about, then quit supporting the unlawful treatment that is being forced apond us. Respect what we feel strongly about. You don't have to believe in how we feel but respect our feeling.

I hope you the best and be safe.

I don't post often but sometimes I just can't sit back and say nothing.

LEO 229

imported post

Knit-pickers.... :lol:

None you actually want to hearthe truth!! You only thing you want to hear what is good for you and the OC cause. I am not a lemming like so many other members here who would rather go with the flow than be criticized by all of you.

When you cannot find anything wrong with the content of what I say.. you focus on the grammar, twist the true meaning, or do something off the walllikepointing out the exact location of a paragraph was not correct. That is so damn childish.

You preach that you do not want to be messed with and then you do that very thing on here to other members.Think about this for a moment.....

The guests that come here and can see how you treat a member that is supposedly in law enforcement and providing you with an alternative view.The focusedchildish attacks on that viewhas turned away a few members that have actually sent me a PM saying they are ditching this place.

Many others cannot believe how I can even put up with allthe bullshit....But I have to weed through the good and the bad to get to the useful and worthwhile information. Turning the threat into a feeding frenzy is pointless and counter productive. Even moderators join in and feast instead of getting things back on track.

You may not like my points of view.. but they are mine. You can say I am wrong all day but don't try to force me to submit to your opinion. I would suggest you submit something for discussion instead andthen Ican decide if I am wrong. Because you say I am wrong does not make it so.
So in closing..... No xmas cards for any of you for 2008!!! :celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
When you cannot find anything wrong with the content of what I say.. you focus on the grammar, twist the true meaning, or do something off the walllikepointing out the exact location of a paragraph was not correct. That is so damn childish.
That's a fatuous statement at least as to your conduct in this discussion thread - first, you cite to a sub-section of 18.2-308 pertaining to non-resident permits to support a rule of law applicable to resident permits; second, you change the text of that section.

If this board a court, I would ask it to sanction you for misconduct.

TEX1N

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
18.2-308 (p)

To pick up your application you are requiredto produce aphoto ID. Are you saying that since it is not explicitly in the code that the court cannot request to see yourphoto ID toget your permit when it is ready for pick up?
Can someone help me out before I go crazy? I can't reconcile what LEO229 posted as a quote of 18.2-308(P) and what the General Assembly's on-line Legislative Information Service provides as the text for 18.2-308 (P).

There is no section with a lower case (p) as in LEO229's quote, only upper case. There are two sections: (P) and (P1). Neither contains the language quoted.Section (H) has similar language, but omits the photograph part.

Below, I copy and paste directly from the General Assembly's on-line legislative service.

Here is my question: Why the discrepancy? I can't figure it out.

Link to General Assembly's on-line Legislative Information Service: http://tinyurl.com/5uwnq

P1 contains the section that LEO quoted, it's just further down in the paragraph. Just remember the P1 paragraph is more than just one paragraph. And for Mike, LEO didn't change the text, he quoted it straight.

Below are paragraphs P, P1, and Q in their entireties:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

[line]
P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

P1. Nonresidents of the Commonwealth 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Virginia Department of State Police for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. Every applicant for a nonresident concealed handgun permit shall submit two photographs of a type and kind specified by the Department of State Police for inclusion on the permit and shall submit fingerprints on a card provided by the Department of State Police for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record. As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting by his local or state law-enforcement agency and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law-enforcement agencies. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths on a form provided by the Department of State Police, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. If the permittee is later found by the Department of State Police to be disqualified, the permit shall be revoked and the person shall return the permit after being so notified by the Department of State Police. The permit requirement and restriction provisions of subsections E and F shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this subsection.

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

The Department of State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $100 to cover the cost of the background check and issuance of the permit. Any fees collected shall be deposited in a special account to be used to offset the costs of administering the nonresident concealed handgun permit program. The Department of State Police shall enter the permittee's name and description in the Virginia Criminal Information Network so that the permit's existence and current status are known to law-enforcement personnel accessing the Network for investigative purposes.

The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall contain only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and photograph of the permittee; the signature of the Superintendent of the Virginia Department of State Police or his designee; the date of issuance; and the expiration date. The person to whom the permit is issued shall have such permit on his person at all times when he is carrying a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth and shall display the permit on demand by a law-enforcement officer.

The Superintendent of the State Police shall promulgate regulations, pursuant to the Administrative Process Act (§ 2.2-4000 et seq.), for the implementation of an application process for obtaining a nonresident concealed handgun permit.

Q. A valid concealed handgun permit issued by the State of Maryland shall be valid in the Commonwealth provided, (i) the holder of the permit is licensed in the State of Maryland to perform duties substantially similar to those performed by Virginia branch pilots licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (§ 54.1-900 et seq.) of Title 54.1 and is performing such duties while in the Commonwealth, and (ii) the holder of the permit is 21 years of age or older.

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
That's a fatuous statement at least as to your conduct in this discussion thread - first, you cite to a sub-section of 18.2-308 pertaining to non-resident permits to support a rule of law applicable to resident permits; second, you change the text of that section.

If this board a court, I would ask it to sanction you for misconduct.
And I would fine you for contempt and lying under oath. :lol:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
And for Mike, LEO didn't change the text, he quoted it straight.
Hrumpf, I withdraw my objection #2 to LEO 229's posting in this thread, though it would behoove him to post textwith quotation marks and elipses to avoid confusion- & last time I rely on Citizen's analysis! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Where is citizen? Time to walk the plank for that one it is!:X

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
TEX1N wrote:
And for Mike, LEO didn't change the text, he quoted it straight.
Hrumpf, I withdraw my objection #2 to LEO 229's posting in this thread, though it would behoove him to post textwith quotation marks and elipses to avoid confusion- & last time I rely on Citizen's analysis! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Where is citizen? Time to walk the plank for that one it is!:X
We all make mistakes.. even me... ;)

We are human...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The cribbed paragraph is Section P1, 9, paragraph 3. Here is the result of more sloppy police work. Kind'a like the difference between "your[sic]" and 'you're' - we're supposed to know what he means and take it in the light that he desires.

Thanks, Doug.

Thanks, Tex1n.

Clearly I failed torecognize the formatting.