• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chambered or Unchambered

darwin-t

imported post

One should embed two things so deeply into one's brain that it ALWAYS is done.

Keep your finger completely out of the trigger guard unless you are actually sighted in on a target you intend to shoot

ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

If you do those two things, you should feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber.

I learned the hard way that "safe direction" does not always mean "forward at a downward angle".

Of course, ALWAYS know if it's loaded or not. It only takes one moment of carelessness to mess your life up.

VAopencarry

imported post

Keep your finger completely out of the trigger guard unless you are actually sighted in on a target you intend to shoot

What about if you just want to shoot the gun up into the air? like on the 4th or new years.

Orygunner

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

What about if you just want to shoot the gun up into the air? like on the 4th or new years.

You have to make sure of your target. If at night, Don't aim at the moon! (You wouldn't want to hit that, let me tell ya!) Pick a star to shoot at, cuz if you hit a star, it won't hurt it. Same thing with daytime, pick a large fluffy cloud to aim at (so it will catch the bullet), but don't aim at the sun! Because shooting at the sun just isn't a good idea...

...Like shooting into the air....
...Orygunner...

imperialism2024

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:

You have to make sure of your target. If at night, Don't aim at the moon! (You wouldn't want to hit that, let me tell ya!) Pick a star to shoot at, cuz if you hit a star, it won't hurt it. Same thing with daytime, pick a large fluffy cloud to aim at (so it will catch the bullet), but don't aim at the sun! Because shooting at the sun just isn't a good idea...

...Like shooting into the air....
...Orygunner...

:lol:

Slayer of Paper

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

I assume you were just kidding, but just in case:

Buy some firecrackers. It is dangerous and irresponsible to fire a gun into the air. That bullet WILL come back down somewhere.

Always carry a gun in a holster that covers the trigger guard, even when carrying in a pocket, and when you carry in a pocket, don't put anything in that same pocket besides the gun (in a holster). There is NO SUCH THING as an accidental discharge. It is either a negliglent discharge (some fool failed to obey at least one of the 4 safety rules, and probably more than one- this is the case in the vast majority of "accidental" dishcarges). or, very rarely, is the result of a mechanical failure. Any gun that discharges WITHOUT the trigger being pulled should be taken to a gunsmith IMMEDIATELY, and if it cannot be fixed, should be melted down (or if it is an expensive collector piece, rendered permanently non-operational).

As for carrying in condition 1, I don't recommend carrying any other way. If you are not comfortable with it, then carry a different gun- maybe a revolver or double action only auto with a heavy trigger pull, or an auto with a mechanical safety, such as a 1911. Whatever danger I might feel about carrying with one in the chamber is heavily over-ridden by the danger I feel about carrying without a gun that is ready to defend my life. If you can't draw and fire the gun with ONE hand, you are taking far more risk than the risk associated with carrying condition one, IMO.

matt605

imported post

You can also buy a thing that covers the hammer on a revolver so that the hammer doesn't catch on your pocket and fire the pistol into your trousers.

I keep one in the chamber, safety off, hammer forward. So the first pull is heavy but those afterward are just a twich of the trigger finger.

My cousin can swiftly turn the cylinder on a S&W 66 .357 but never pull the trigger so far back that it fires the bullet. Don't try that with a loaded gun even if you haven't been drinking all evening.

:dude:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

NEVER fire a gun into the air! What goes up must come down. If you MUST make noise with it... shoot into the dirt.

Paul Volk

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
If you have ALREADY LEARNED to carry unchambered, I do not reccommend suddenly starting to carry with a round chambered.
What is the reasoning behind this?

Paul Volk

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Complacent habits.
Maybe "complacent" wasn't the best word to use to answer my question, because I don't follow what you mean. Care to reiterate with more detail?

Superlite27

imported post

By carrying chambered, you develop the muscle memory that, "Hey, this gun is loaded!" (The way you're supposed to treat every firearm, right?).

By already learning to carry without one in the chamber, you have already developed the muscle memory of "Oh, there's NOT one in the chamber".

By LEARNING to carry an unloaded gun, you are now subliminally used to carrying an unloaded gun. (Why would you want to get used to carrying an unloaded gun if you're supposed to "treat every gun as if it were loaded"?)

By developing the muscle memory of having to chamber a round before firing (an extra unneccessary step) it would be DANGEROUS to actually carry one in the pipe until you've developed a muscle memory of carrying that way. (Hard to do unless you start carrying that way)

As gun owners, aren't we responsible enough to carry a gun? If we're responsible enough to carry a gun, shouldn't we also be responsible enough to carry a LOADED gun? Or does this too much responsibility?

Learning to carry chambered is SAFER. You will definately learn to carry in a safer manner because you will always treat your firearm as if it were loaded......because it is.