• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police - Memorial Day: Remembering All Who Protect And Serve

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Please keep in mind you are looking at all the bad apples pooling together.

Out of 900,000 cops.. how many are on that board?

So now the participants at officer.com forums are 'all the bad apples'? Or you're just funnin' us?

Are you so blind to your faulty thinking or rhetoric?

I started this thread to point out the BCPHGV's dishonesty in conflating dead soldiers with cops and YOU have made it all about you, lying with liars and ignoring their fleas. Better you ignore me your gadfly than the fleas from Sarah Brady's hairy armpit.

You should be a moderator and not a participant in what you're supposed to be moderating. Step away from the keyboard. Take your meds. Go to church. Participate in a Memorial Day service.
Clarification for Doug.....

He was talking about a group of officers that were boasting about doing things that were bad. I was referring to THOSE bad apples pooling together.

How this helps to clear your clouded mind on everything I post. :lol:

Hey Doug.... you overlooked a question I had for you..

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=11180&forum_id=65&jump_to=180786#p180786

Please answer so all the board can understand you and your hatred for me.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Read it again for the first time.

Sarah Brady's sockpuppet Paul Helmke [removed]
(syn. blurt out) during his[removed] (how a sockpuppet is manipulated) at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-helmke/memorial-day-remembering_b_103307.html
If you have yet to visit the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, I encourage you make it part of your plans on your next trip to Washington, D.C.

Dedicated by President George H.W. Bush in October 1991, this memorial provides an experience as solemn and moving as visiting any of the other, better-known monuments here in the nation's capital.

Having been responsible for the police department of Indiana's second-largest city during my 12 years as mayor of Fort Wayne, I was particularly moved by seeing the names of over 14,000 police officers killed in the line of duty - officers who took it upon themselves to protect and serve communities all across America. A few of these names from my hometown were well-known by me personally.

On Thursday, May 15, I had the honor of laying a wreath at the Memorial during National Police Week in my capacity as President of the Brady Campaign.

I laid the wreath by the name of Senior Corporal Mark Nix. Corporal Nix served the people of Dallas, Texas as a police officer for seven years, until someone shot and killed him with a military-style semiautomatic assault weapon. (You can read more about his tragic murder here.)

Corporal Nix was engaged to be married, was a brother and a son, and was a veteran of Operation Desert Storm where he served with distinction in the U.S. Navy.

Now, his name is engraved on the Memorial Wall with 14,000 of his brothers and sisters in uniform who gave their lives to protect ours.

This Memorial Day weekend, as we remember our men and women in uniform serving around the world in our armed services, I encourage you also to remember those who serve in our local law enforcement agencies.

They put their lives on the line every day, and every day they have to deal with a criminal element armed with weapons of ever-greater firepower.

We can do something about the challenges faced by our local men and women in uniform. We can adopt policies to make it harder for dangerous people to get their hands on dangerous weapons - doing things like requiring background checks for all gun sales, and restricting easy access to military-style weaponry.

Our law enforcement representatives work hard every day to protect us in America. We should do more to protect them.

(Note to readers: This entry, along with past entries, has been co-posted on bradycampaign.org/blog and the Huffington Post.)

Moderator Edit: Removed references about sexual acts that are not appropriate here.

bohdi

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Browse those forums for a while and you'll go away absolutely detesting anyone that wears a badge. Fortunately I was able to get out before it happened to me, but not all have been so lucky... :uhoh: The elitist attitude on there is nauseating.
Please keep in mind you are looking at all the bad apples pooling together.

Out of 900,000 cops.. how many are on that board?

Probably more good ones than bad ones, but it's a tired arguement at times and applicable to any group of people that congregate for a certain belief - open carry and being LEO's not exclusive to that trait, as I've tried to explain. Telling people on o.com that LEO's a moderator here isn't exactly super secret stuff, and I don't believe letting slip what jurisdiction he's under is a threat/endangerment of any kind. If it was I wouldn't have done it.

PS - I'm not a moderator here or over on o.com - please don't go there and dump on them, lol. It wouldn't do any good anymore than Nitro dumping on us over there.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

He was talking about a group of officers that were boasting about doing things that were bad. I was referring to THOSE bad apples pooling together.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=11180&forum_id=65&jump_to=180786#p180786

As should be obvious by now, not "overlooked" but ignored. See the thread on not talking to a cop(spit) ever.

IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU LEO 229

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

As should be obvious by now, not "overlooked" but ignored. See the thread on not talking to a cop(spit) ever.

IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU LEO 229
So are you declining to answer?

If it is not "all aboutLEO 229"... why do you bash me daily after each post? Sure seems to me that I am the only one you bash here.

I was hoping you would grow out of it and mature but that has not happened.

It needs to stop. :X

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I was hoping you would grow out of it and mature but that has not happened.

It needs to stop. :X

You're the "mature" responsible moderator. It takes two to tango.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD
Still avoiding the question. Are you embarrassed to say?

Two to tango.... Doug.. I try not to create any problems with you or any other member here. There have been months I have said nothing to you at all. And still... you post negative and sarcastic remarks on me daily.

Let's agree to end it here.

You may not like my opinions and I may not like yours. But we must remain civil on the board.

What say you?

Sheriff

imported post

bohdi wrote:
....and I don't believe letting slip what jurisdiction he's under is a threat/endangerment of any kind. If it was I wouldn't have done it.

Of course it is. All he has to do is get in one hot and heated argument with somebody, and that somebody will resort to trying to cause him trouble at his real job. It has happened before, it will happen again. I had a now former cop in Pennsylvania copy my replies and mail them to my employer. It's sorta ironic that 10 years later I now have an outstanding judgement against her, with interest until paid,for actual libel in forums.

Trust me, very often a cop's worst enemy is another cop. :)

bohdi

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
bohdi wrote:
....and I don't believe letting slip what jurisdiction he's under is a threat/endangerment of any kind. If it was I wouldn't have done it.

Of course it is. All he has to do is get in one hot and heated argument with somebody, and that somebody will resort to trying to cause him trouble at his real job. It has happened before, it will happen again. I had a now former cop in Pennsylvania copy my replies and mail them to my employer. It's sorta ironic that 10 years later I now have an outstanding judgement against her, with interest until paid,for actual libel in forums.

Trust me, very often a cop's worst enemy is another cop. :)
Not that other places of employment don't have their fair share of problems, but I wouldn't exactly call that a glowing incentive to become a LEO, lol. I think 229's done a pretty good job of representing himself that he doesn't have to worry about what you went through. I was leaning toward actual in person issues than anything when I wrote my previous response.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
A few bad apples shouldn't be held against the whole bunch.
IMHO, the number of bad apples is increasing pretty rapidly.

That's the problem. There an entirely new breed of rookie out on the street in 2008. If they aren't lying, stealing andtasing people for the pure sport of it..... they are walking all over your Constitutional rights. I often wonder why the entire population can't see this.
Oh we are starting to see it. Slowly.

Sheriff

imported post

Venator wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
IMHO, the number of bad apples is increasing pretty rapidly.

That's the problem. There an entirely new breed of rookie out on the street in 2008. If they aren't lying, stealing andtasing people for the pure sport of it..... they are walking all over your Constitutional rights. I often wonder why the entire population can't see this.
Oh we are starting to see it. Slowly.
Thank God!

Myself and many other veteran officers -some still working, some retired - have no idea what's going on out there. Lack of training? Lack of supervisor? Lowered recruitment and hiring standards? Or all of the above. It's scary out there. And the chiefs and sheriffs, so as to keep their own names off the numerous lawsuits, have to verbally defend these new rookies and their wrongdoings.

murphy2

imported post

Police officers that die in the line of duty protecting a fellow civilian do deserve our respect. That being said, they do not deserve to be put on the same level as our military services members. They are after all civilians with a license/warrant touphold the law of there respective corporations they work for.They can at any time quit ther "job" and find other work. Military personel enlist as a contractor and can notquit there job.Untill the contracted time is complete. Police do not give up freedom for there line of work. If any thing they gain morefreedom. Not supposed to but they do. Military personel give up freedom and sertin rights when they join. Volinteraly. My pesonaloppinion ismost people that want to be cops are mostly after athourity that comes with the badge. Probably beat up as a child on the school grounds or was the bully on the school ground. They are the same as any civilian in any job. They aresubject to emotional and physicalstress as we all are. But some how they are put on a level higher than there fellow citisenand always abovemilitary veterans. They haveor hadbadge so they have the right to defend themselves. Whats with that. And any bad cop who breaks the law it gets covered up most of the time our white washed.

lukeshort

imported post

Murphy2

A valid point you have made here. Not everybody has a grasp of that concept though.

However, the men/women in law enforcement are not all bad. Some are not! I would urge you to go to the Supreme Court web site and read a few of the briefs filed by some outstanding law enforcement organizations, in favor of my personal hero Mr. Heller in the case of D.C. vs. Heller. This will amaze you, as it did me, how many upstanding high ranking LEO’s we still have in this country.

Now about this concerning Memorial Day. It is a day set aside strictly for those that served in our armed forces. Police, no matter how they want it to include them, are not a military force. They are subject to the same laws civilians are subject to. However, it seems their status alone excludes them some times.

However, many Leo’s are military reserve members and prior service and god bless them for that. [Maybe some even answered no, to that questionnaire that was passed out a few years back, whether or not they as armed forces members would seize guns from civilians.] [I personally remember that one. I did not dignify that particular question with an answer.] Anyway, I salute those current and past service members that took the solemn oath that I swore. And pray God bless those that gave everything in doing there duty and those that gave maybe a piece of themselves on the battle fields of time for our freedoms. I just think now days those freedoms are being misused by certain subversive parties/individuals to (i.e. this letter under our attack) to confuse the general public of the reality of the long standing situation of our individual places in society. Give credit where credit is due. I’ll honor good vs. evil, personal integrity, anyone that controls the urge to become all powerful, because they figure they are what keep societies fabric from unraveling. It’s a jungle out there and we are stuck in the middle of a ideological assault on personal freedom by some really illogical people.

Enough of the ranting, Memorial Day is for our armed forces in my book. I don’t remember my grandfather saying how the PoPo, stormed the beaches of Normandy or reading about the shot heard around the world being fired by New York’s finest. This twisted, idea that police are somehow in the same category of those that served on a field of battle, really disturbs me. And I would love to see a LEO explain the comparison.

murphy2

imported post

Eloquently said, Lukeshort. I do respect police officers, ratherI respect there uniforms for what they stand for." The law". But to put them in the same category as our military is not just wrong but dangerous. The NAZI SS for example. When they where incorporated into the regular forces and also had there own stand alone ss army. Since our constitution does not allow for military personnel doing civilian policing. Why not make police personnel into a military? See where it's going?

LEO 229

imported post

Memorial day has since passed...

The month of May has two memorial days....

President KennedydesignateMay 15th asNational Peace Officers Memorial Day, and the week containing May 15 to beNational Police Week.

Memorial Day for the military is the LAST MONDAY of the month of May.

The Memorial Day weekend itselfis only because of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act from 1968.

So there is absolutely NO QUESTION that the traditional "Memorial day" that everyone hears about is the last one in May that honors our soldiers that gave so bravely.

Not as many people think about the police memorial day as the primary focus is for the military.

This whole thread was started because one member, Doug, got bent out of shape over something that was said by a member of the anti group.....

Sarah Brady asked "This Memorial Day weekend, as we remember our men and women in uniform serving around the world in our armed services, I encourage you also to remember those who serve in our local law enforcement agencies."

Read into that all you like.... it was not a comparison between the two at all. She only asked that we not forget the police that also serve and do place their lives on the line.

It was a nice thought and as a cop... I appreciate that she said it. Almost everyoneloves the military but the police are not so loved. I can live with that. But Doug has a special hate for cops and this is why he has a problem with Sarah Brady saying it.

Again.... the military and police have two different roles. They both work on behalf of the people and follow orders. Both do put their lives on the line in some way and some are lost while they serve.

How are any of you finding the police and the military being compared as equal or in the same group anyway?

LEO 229

imported post

murphy2 wrote:
Police officers that die in the line of duty protecting a fellow civilian do deserve our respect. That being said, they do not deserve to be put on the same level as our military services members. They are after all civilians with a license/warrant touphold the law of there respective corporations they work for.They can at any time quit ther "job" and find other work. Military personel enlist as a contractor and can notquit there job.Untill the contracted time is complete. Police do not give up freedom for there line of work. If any thing they gain morefreedom. Not supposed to but they do. Military personel give up freedom and sertin rights when they join. Volinteraly. My pesonaloppinion ismost people that want to be cops are mostly after athourity that comes with the badge. Probably beat up as a child on the school grounds or was the bully on the school ground. They are the same as any civilian in any job. They aresubject to emotional and physicalstress as we all are. But some how they are put on a level higher than there fellow citisenand always abovemilitary veterans. They haveor hadbadge so they have the right to defend themselves. Whats with that. And any bad cop who breaks the law it gets covered up most of the time our white washed.
Funny that you say that..... Many cops are former military including me.

So I guess that since cops are people that were beat up as a child.... and since many served in the military....many in the militaryare people who were beat up as a child so people that join the military do so because they were abused.Would this be true??

People become cops the same reason as people join the military. To do a service for others. People become cops for the authority as much as people join the military to kill other humans.... not that often.

You have stated this as your opinion but I can attest that it is way off and total bullshit. But I am positive Sheriff will side with you on this one.

I always wanted to be a cop because I wanted to know how they solved crimes and caught the bad guys. I broke the law as a kid and they always caught me. Back in my day police officers were respected and looked up to and I admired that. Times have changed and now I know that some people see the police as jack booted thugs and even refer to them a Nazis.