• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police - Memorial Day: Remembering All Who Protect And Serve

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
People become cops the same reason as people join the military. To do a service for others. People become cops for the authority as much as people join the military to kill other humans.... not that often.

You have stated this as your opinion but I can attest that it is way off and total bullshit. But I am positive Sheriff will side with you on this one.
I don't have to side with anyone. I can actually form an opinion or two all by myself occasionally. :)

And it's my professional opinion and observation that kids no longer go into law enforcement to help people nowadays. They gointothe professionfor the salary and benefits. In my area cops start at $3,000+a month, take home car with free gas, and an attractive benefits package. This is a pretty good income in my area.

edit: to correct a grammatical error

lukeshort

imported post

I realize now, the fact that there is two entirely different memorial days in May. I did not even know there was one for LEO’s. Well, isn’t that something?

I differ with your suggestion that Police, “work on behalf of the people”, but I guess anyone can make there job whatever they want. I’m not bashing sir; I just don’t see this applying to a majority of those that uphold the many colors of the law and not actually stand up for freedoms granted to all men regardless of career choice. In a perfect world, I should by common since be able to defend myself or stop a crime without police assistance, without fear of being prosecuted as a criminal myself. It is because officers in the field will not protect your legal rights, but enforce policies not laws. This country was not built on policies or social engineering, but laws. However, twisting the laws has been an American institution since the beginning, just read the history of the rail roads.

It amazes me that people choose a career that is dangerous, and require a pat on the head. Maybe this is why many agencies are oppressive. They don’t feel loved. I salute oil drillers, gas station attendants, convenience store clerks and under water welders and anyone else that carries equality on their hip or in a rifle rack, with the reasoning to use such responsible freedom. Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Thank you Law Enforcement personnel, where ever you are.

High hooo… sillllllver!

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
People become cops the same reason as people join the military. To do a service for others. People become cops for the authority as much as people join the military to kill other humans.... not that often.

You have stated this as your opinion but I can attest that it is way off and total bullshit. But I am positive Sheriff will side with you on this one.
I don't have to side with anyone. I can actually form an opinion or two all by myself occasionally. :)

And it's my professional opinion and observation that kids no longer go into law enforcement to help people nowadays. They gointothe professionfor the salary and benefits. In my area cops start at $3,000+a month, take home car with free gas, and an attractive benefits package. This is a pretty good income in my area.

edit: to correct a grammatical error

I bet you can!! :lol:

You say kids... But I have seen people in their 40's and even 50's join departments. Do they do it for the power and money too? Or to fulfil a life long dream?

There are even volunteer officers that get no gun, power, or money.... yet they join and help out where they can.

Were they beat up as children too? :p

Not all questions directed at Sheriff......

murphy2

imported post

Sorry, LEO229! But it's not the idea of remembrance ofofficersthat bothers me. It's the word/Fraze "memorial day" and if Sarah Brady said that it was to keep the "cop killer bullets", "armor piercing ammo" and "our police are out gunned",the old, "the police are fighting a war against all the blood thirsty red-necks with guns,ideology fresh in peoples bind. They are using the police as a reference. Not because they care about you or your fellow officers. Why not call it Civil servants day and include Firefighters, EMTs, Meter maids, 911 dispatch.....etc. It's all about word and how there used. War Department or Department of Defence. Federal reserve, think its federal? Doug, was right to be angry.

LEO 229

imported post

lukeshort wrote:
I realize now, the fact that there is two entirely different memorial days in May. I did not even know there was one for LEO’s. Well, isn’t that something?

I differ with your suggestion that Police, “work on behalf of the people”, but I guess anyone can make there job whatever they want. I’m not bashing sir; I just don’t see this applying to a majority of those that uphold the many colors of the law and not actually stand up for freedoms granted to all men regardless of career choice. In a perfect world, I should by common since be able to defend myself or stop a crime without police assistance, without fear of being prosecuted as a criminal myself. It is because officers in the field will not protect your legal rights, but enforce policies not laws. This country was not built on policies or social engineering, but laws. However, twisting the laws has been an American institution since the beginning, just read the history of the rail roads.

It amazes me that people choose a career that is dangerous, and require a pat on the head. Maybe this is why many agencies are oppressive. They don’t feel loved. I salute oil drillers, gas station attendants, convenience store clerks and under water welders and anyone else that carries equality on their hip or in a rifle rack, with the reasoning to use such responsible freedom. Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Thank you Law Enforcement personnel, where ever you are.

High hooo… sillllllver!
See.... some people just do not know... :D

Most officers today are killed in car accidents. Some are killed at the hands of another. There are a great deal of cops that are shot but do not die becausethey have on their vest.

I do what I can to help the people. I work cases and try to get back property, track down hit and run drivers, and coordinate with other officers and departments to find criminals that have taken off.

Every citizen has the power to do this but they do not have access to restricted information or the ability to coordinate with citizens outside their neighborhood so quickly.

So... they ask the police for help in getting this accomplished.

LEO 229

imported post

murphy2 wrote:
Sorry, LEO229! But it's not the idea of remembrance ofofficersthat bothers me. It's the word/Fraze "memorial day" and if Sarah Brady said that it was to keep the "cop killer bullets", "armor piercing ammo" and "our police are out gunned",the old, "the police are fight a war against all the blood thirsty red-necks with guns,ideology fresh in peoples bind. They are using the police as a reference. Not because they care about you or your fellow officers. Why not call it Civil servants day and include Firefighters, EMTs, Meter maids, 911 dispatch.....etc. It's all about word and how there used. War Department or Department of Defence. Federal reserve, think its federal? Doug, was right to be angry.
Sorry.... not sure how you read all that in what was posted.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Most officers today are killed in car accidents.
Correct. I'm surprised you would admit this. And while on the way to their own accident and death, they place many innocent civilians at risk on a daily basis.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
.... I have seen people in their 40's and even 50's join departments. Do they do it for the power and money too?
No. They have just gotten laid off at IBM after 25 years of devoted service. They can't find a job anywhere else that pays as well as being a cop. It's either greet people at Walmart, flip burgers at Burger King or become a cop.

Saw a 49-year-old recruit on the TV reality show "The Academy" last night. He was downright dangerous handling a firearm. The instructor kicked him off the range and told administration he did not want therecruit back on the range under any circumstances.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
.... I have seen people in their 40's and even 50's join departments. Do they do it for the power and money too?
No. They have just gotten laid off at IBM after 25 years of devoted service. They can't find a job anywhere else that pays as well as being a cop. It's either greet people at Walmart, flip burgers at Burger King or become a cop.

Saw a 49-year-old recruit on the TV reality show "The Academy" last night. He was downright dangerous handling a firearm. The instructor kicked him off the range and told administration he did not want therecruit back on the range under any circumstances.
Actually.. this is not always true. Your mindset is obviously fixed with no room for negotiation. :lol:

People I know of retired from the military after 20 or 30 years. Some grew tired of their old job pushing paper and hit the mid life crisis. They decided they better go do it now before they get too old. I do not know of any older recruit that was "fired" and he just wanted a pay check.

Edit: One thing I will say about you Sheriff.... You are almost ALWAYS negative in some way in your posts. You see the good in nothing. I hope 25 years on the job does not do that to me too. I still see the good in many at the moment.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote: One thing I will say about you Sheriff.... You are almost ALWAYS negative in some way in your posts. You see the good in nothing. I hope 25 years on the job does not do that to me too. I still see the good in many at the moment.

What did I say negative above? I clearly said Burger King and Walmart do not pay as much as being a cop. Why is this negative? It's a fact. And I said a recruitwas tossed off a police range with orders to never come back. Why is this negative? It's a fact. Ever heard of "negative perception"? How could I have worded anything differently so your perception of things I say will not be so negative?

I see the good in a lot of things. I think it's good that police work pays more than Burger King and Walmart. I see the good in an instructor tossing a recruit off the range who is recklessly handling a firearm and placing everybody else in danger.

As far as your career..... after about 10 years on the job you will be surprised how much you suddenly agree with things I have pointed out. Anything less than 10 years on the job and a cop is still in "rookie" mode. After 25 years on the job you will retire with the hopes of looking me up and buying me lunch one day. Your purpose will be to tell me just how much I was right. If OpenCarry.org is still online we can take pictures during this luncheon and post them online. We can tape the conersation and put it here online too if you like. :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Member moderators/administrators, Please remove this entire thread. I am the OP and the title is not what I gave it, not the title of the article I posted and not the title of the URL since removed.

If the thread is to remain then please remove my name from it. It is not what I intended. It has in its entirety been corrupted.

Thank you.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
And the corruption continues.

My request was addressed to 'member moderators' specifically to exclude further effluvia from the (just) moderator.

:lol:

I moderate more than members here...

But I will do this for you Doug... I will close this thread for you.