• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another encounter with Everett PD

Mainsail

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
irfner wrote:
A gift? Hmm. Bestowed by him no doubt.Even if it is,open carry is protected by the constitution. No gift required. Or perhaps he thinks the constitution is a gift as well.
Whats funny is when he threatened that my CPL could be revoked, I said " That would be to bad because then I wouldhave to open carry 100% of the time. He didn't like that.
LOL, he wasn't thinking very far ahead. :lol:

Machoduck

imported post

amlevin wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
It seems important to most officers to "maintain control" of the situation. Sadly, many do this with veiled (or not so veiled) threats.

They do this because most are "control freaks". Many are drawn to the job because of this "defect" in their personality.

Sadly, these officers detract from those that truly like the work they do as part of the community.
The intelligent cops maintain control without rudeness or disrespect by showing civility at the outset. Gentlemen respond to civility with civility. One can always become unpleasant later. Only a fool starts out this way and it usually stats out with a preconceived notion of police superiority. This kind of cop thinks that there only are two kinds of people in the world: cops and criminals.

MD

skookum

imported post

One of things I thinkmany havefailed to realize is most if not all of the road cops support open carry. It is the liberal administrators who don't. If someone complains they are required to investigate. He was free to go at anytime and could have walked away. Ask him. You may not like how the cop protrayed the permit process. It is a gift since you have to ask for it to carry it even if you have to pay for it. I think it should be free.

You get more support by supporting those who safe guard your freedoms instead of being rude and calling them hungrey control freaks. Sometimes the academy brainwashes the new recruits. IA complaints cause resentment:cry:.

Support open carry by sending letters to those appointed and elected positions. Education is the key. We are here to support you but we have to consider all encounters with caution. To many it is just a job where wewant to go homeat the end of the tour.
:D

Agent 47

imported post

skookum wrote:
One of things I thinkmany havefailed to realize is most if not all of the road cops support open carry. It is the liberal administrators who don't. If someone complains they are required to investigate. He was free to go at anytime and could have walked away. Ask him. You may not like how the cop protrayed the permit process. It is a gift since you have to ask for it to carry it even if you have to pay for it. I think it should be free.

You get more support by supporting those who safe guard your freedoms instead of being rude and calling them hungrey control freaks. Sometimes the academy brainwashes the new recruits. IA complaints cause resentment:cry:.

Support open carry by sending letters to those appointed and elected positions. Education is the key. We are here to support you but we have to consider all encounters with caution. To many it is just a job where wewant to go homeat the end of the tour.

I will give you "most" but certainly not "all" As I have personally encountered several cops from numerous departments who are vehemently against open carry and have expressed as much to me. I agree a lot of the bad feelings toward open carry are from the Liberal administrators as is evident by the cops I have known who have expressed support for open carry and been severely reprimanded by their department for it. As it has been pointed out here Detaining a citizen for open carrying is expressly against the law and cops who do it should be punished the same as if they broke any other law. I was detained against my will at the library and I am seeking to see the officers involved dealt with in accordance with the law I was not detained against my will in the situation in this thread. The officers involved were walking a thin line but it would have come down to something as simple as me expressing that I wished to be on my way and them denying me that. The only thing I see wrong with the situation under discussion is the Primary officers "threat that if I continue to open carry I could loose my CPL this of course was a lie on his part and could be a violation of USC 18 242 as his statement was an attempt to restrict me from exercising a right guaranteed by law. Oh and as this is a "Shall Issue state" Citizens do not "ask" for a CPL and it is not up to anyones discretion or personal feelings toward guns weather they issue it or not, If the person has a clean record the department is forced tosign a CPL for them. So In this state a CPL is certainly not a "Gift" Itis a guarantee and the primary officers statement that I could loose mine for continuing in my legal actions was laughable and showed a deplorable lack of legal understanding on his part. If I go into a police station and demand a CPL and they are required by lawto give it to me within 30 days then how can it be a "gift"

Incidentally Skookum, were you one of the responding officers?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

skookum wrote:

Welcome Skookum. I have met cops in Oly who support OC, cops who were against it, and cops who said they have changed their minds on it, and now have no problem.

I think it depends a lot on the officers, and also what information they get on the subject and the examples they see. Up to date training and reasonable OC'rs help the cause a lot.

skookum

imported post

Sorry. Not one of the responding ones heard about it through those sour grape vines.One of the supporting ones. I am not familiar with the library incident. I will see if I can find it on one of the threads. I did notice the signage on the bus system has changed.

I liked your response to the encounter in south Everett. However, after reading some of the reponses from people who are gung-ho to start a sue happy war concerns me as this seems to be more court crap as opposed to the deeper purpose of Government Intrusion regardless of whether it is OC, Search and Seizure, Free Travel, etc... Education first. And remember for most of us it is just a job and not some requirement to fix the wrongs we have suffered. Some say it is a power trip.

When we make a serious safety mistake we usually don't go home. Whensomeone makes a bad weld job you can redo it.

Good luck on your quest. Watch out for Mayor Nickels though. Now that is a hot bed.

Hind-Sight -- 20/20 :)

Cheers

skookum

imported post

I forgot add a lot has to do with upbringing and not only the brainwashing at the academy but the liberal minded brain washing occurring in our Colleges which now is almost becoming a requirement to get hired.

Education. In Montana if you didn't have a gun (concealed or open) you must be a tourist:lol:

Washington isn't Montana. At least there they truely respected citizen rights. Well except for the Fish and Game.:p

PoppaGary

imported post

skookum wrote:
Sorry. Not one of the responding ones heard about it through those sour grape vines.One of the supporting ones. I am not familiar with the library incident. I will see if I can find it on one of the threads. I did notice the signage on the bus system has changed.

I liked your response to the encounter in south Everett. However, after reading some of the reponses from people who are gung-ho to start a sue happy war concerns me as this seems to be more court crap as opposed to the deeper purpose of Government Intrusion regardless of whether it is OC, Search and Seizure, Free Travel, etc... Education first.(emphasis mine, PG) And remember for most of us it is just a job and not some requirement to fix the wrongs we have suffered. Some say it is a power trip.

When we make a serious safety mistake we usually don't go home. Whensomeone makes a bad weld job you can redo it.

Good luck on your quest. Watch out for Mayor Nickels though. Now that is a hot bed.

Cheers
Skookum:
No offence intended, but I couldn't help but notice the point about "education first" and had to laugh!

I had other thoughts, but thought again before I hit "send". :idea:

Let's just say that "education" is a two way street and I think the average joe should be assisted in understanding the proper and correct laws before getting in trouble.

Gary

Agent 47

imported post

skookum wrote:

I liked your response to the encounter in south Everett. However, after reading some of the reponses from people who are gung-ho to start a sue happy war concerns me as this seems to be more court crap as opposed to the deeper purpose of Government Intrusion regardless of whether it is OC, Search and Seizure, Free Travel, etc... Education first. And remember for most of us it is just a job and not some requirement to fix the wrongs we have suffered. Some say it is a power trip.

Cheers
I greatly value your input here and I hope you stick around. I have had many many friends who are cops ranging from guys my age fresh out of the academy to a (now former) Capitan at Everett PD. I would never generalize any ill willed comments toward all cops but the few who do break the law need to be punished. As I wrote in my letter to the office of professional standards at the Everett police department it is absolutely critical that the public be able to trust the law enforcement officers and when they break the very law they are sworn to uphold it damages ( sometimes irreparably ) that trust. As far as educating the cops, that is one of the keys to the open carry movement. That is also one of the reasons so many people are voting to go for the lawsuit rout as the Everett Police department has now issuedtwo differenttraining bulletins and several briefings on the legality of open carry but some officers have chosen to ignore the training they have received and attempt to enforce their own personal feelings against citizens who carry guns and it is this kind of behavior that gets departments and individual officers into trouble.

Agent 47

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:

Skookum:
No offence intended, but I couldn't help but notice the point about "education first" and had to laugh!

I had other thoughts, but thought again before I hit "send". :idea:

Let's just say that "education" is a two way street and I think the average joe should be assisted in understanding the proper and correct laws before getting in trouble.

Gary
LOL "now, you see Mr. Gary we here in the great state of Washington tend to frown on premeditated murder. There are laws against it but I guess as you didn't read them we will go ahead and overlook the thirteen hookers buried in your back yard but now you know what the law says so don't you go killing anyone else mmmmmmm-kay?"

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
LOL "now, you see Mr. Gary we here in the great state of Washington tend to frown on premeditated murder. There are laws against it but I guess as you didn't read them we will go ahead and overlook the thirteen hookers buried in your back yard but now you know what the law says so don't you go killing anyone else mmmmmmm-kay?"
As I told that TSA guy in Houston while he was swabbing my knee brace for gunpowder "Man it's getting harder to hide the bodies"

Missed the next 3 flights explaining my comment.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
As I told that TSA guy in Houston while he was swabbing my knee brace for gunpowder "Man it's getting harder to hide the bodies"

Don't mess with the empty headed preprogrammed airplane nazis. It's not nice and confuses them.

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Don't mess with the empty headed preprogrammed airplane nazis. It's not nice and confuses them.
LOL I have been waiting for a shutdown of an airport because someone says "Man, this burger is da' bomb":D

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Don't mess with the empty headed preprogrammed airplane nazis.  It's not nice and confuses them. 

I miss the Pre 9/11 days where you could tell the security screener that turning on your cellphone wouldn't prove it's not an explosive, since anyone with electronics knowledge can make it look like it works, when in reality it's just a dummy display, the rest of the case packed with a shaped charge, enough to tear a whole in the soft aluminum skin of an aircraft, causing an explosive decompression @ 35K feet.....

Then have the screener just look at you, and wave you through.... (after my mom smacked me in the back of the head and told me not to talk about those things in an airport).

LOL

Ahhh.. to be young and dumb again.

amlevin

imported post

joeroket wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

LOL I have been waiting for a shutdown of an airport because someone says "Man, this burger is da' bomb":D
And you certainly wouldn't want to refer to a greasy one as a "Gut Bomb" either:what:

rysa

imported post

Hehe, that reminds me of the time i was in LAX and they were swabbing bags with a cloth for explosives residue. My parents were with me and I asked what they were doing. My stepfather explained it and i promptly told them (in front of the security screener) that i had worn gloves and that they probably wouldnt find anything.

My ears rang for about 3 minutes after he smacked me on the back of the head. The security lady didnt look pleased either. All pre-9/11 of course.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:

That's the kind of thinking by sheeple that have caused me to pass on flying anywhere except in an absolute emergency. The train takes longer and even though they says no guns, they have never asked or checked.

lcbmvhoff

imported post

Well done and well handled. I'm new to the forum after seeing the article in the Seattle Times Sunday paper 6-8-2008 page A3 I believe, about the man in Utah.

I live close to Everett just east in Lake Stevens. I don't see LSPD handling a situation like that quite the same. I simply don't trust them by their own reputation. Also, I'd like to be sure the law is really on my side. I'd like very muchto test the waters herebut before I do I need to be as ready as you were ( mini digital cam corder of some kind) to capture it all. It's been 15 years of inventing and trying the latest rigs andstylesof concealment.

Bear 45/70

imported post

lcbmvhoff wrote:
Well done and well handled. I'm new to the forum after seeing the article in the Seattle Times Sunday paper 6-8-2008 page A3 I believe, about the man in Utah.

I live close to Everett just east in Lake Stevens. I don't see LSPD handling a situation like that quite the same. I simply don't trust them by their own reputation. Also, I'd like to be sure the law is really on my side. I'd like very muchto test the waters herebut before I do I need to be as ready as you were ( mini digital cam corder of some kind) to capture it all. It's been 15 years of inventing and trying the latest rigs andstylesof concealment.
So the easy thing is do some pre-carry work. Send the lake Stevens Chief of Police all the training bulletins from other Departments around the area and ask him for his take on the open carry of a firearm. The worst he can do is be stupid and say it is illegal. If he does that there is a lawyer available that will send him a letter to straighten out his sorryview of reality.