• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another encounter with Everett PD

Mainsail

imported post

lcbmvhoff wrote:
Well done and well handled. I'm new to the forum after seeing the article in the Seattle Times Sunday paper 6-8-2008 page A3 I believe, about the man in Utah.

I live close to Everett just east in Lake Stevens. I don't see LSPD handling a situation like that quite the same. I simply don't trust them by their own reputation. Also, I'd like to be sure the law is really on my side. I'd like very muchto test the waters herebut before I do I need to be as ready as you were ( mini digital cam corder of some kind) to capture it all. It's been 15 years of inventing and trying the latest rigs andstylesof concealment.

Welcome to the forum. I felt the same way here in Tacoma, and it turned out that the apprehension was justified. Anxiety notwithstanding, if you intend to carry openly you’re going to have to accept the risk that it may result in a police encounter. If you know what your rights are and what the limitations on the police are, a lot of that anxiety will be lessened. Under Article 1 section 7 of the State Constitution you can only be seized by a police officer under very certain conditions. Search this site and wiki for “Terry stop” and read until you know what it means and its limits.

Agent 47

imported post

lcbmvhoff wrote:
Well done and well handled. I'm new to the forum after seeing the article in the Seattle Times Sunday paper 6-8-2008 page A3 I believe, about the man in Utah.

I live close to Everett just east in Lake Stevens. I don't see LSPD handling a situation like that quite the same. I simply don't trust them by their own reputation. Also, I'd like to be sure the law is really on my side. I'd like very muchto test the waters herebut before I do I need to be as ready as you were ( mini digital cam corder of some kind) to capture it all. It's been 15 years of inventing and trying the latest rigs andstylesof concealment.
Welcome aboard, I think we will see allot more people around her thanks to that article and others like it. The thing you should keep in mind when reading is the posted "incidences" are the exception. I, and others here, open carry almost every day and the interactions like this with law enforcement are very rare and bad encounters are rarer still.

kparker

imported post

the train takes longer and even though they says no guns, they have never asked or checked.

That's been my experience, too, but they're supposedly starting to, on some kind of random basis. I'll see if I can find a link.

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
the train takes longer and even though they says no guns, they have never asked or checked.

That's been my experience, too, but they're supposedly starting to, on some kind of random basis. I'll see if I can find a link.
AmTrak said they would have random dog walk throughs too. I've been corresponding withAmTrack asking then how they think a gun free train is gonna be safer thana train with honest armed citizens onboard. So far they use the "Government created private corporation and we can do it if we want crap", but never an honest straight answer.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

lcbmvhoff wrote:

Welcome! The law really is on your side on open carry. Really. Most agencies have by simple or complex means figured that out by now, or always acknowledged it.

OC when you feel the itch, and there have been plenty of examples on how to conduct yourself should you be detained. And if all else fails, as Bear points out, we know of a lawyer who makes his living going after police agencies, and enjoys putting them back in touch with reality.

skookum

imported post

To bad we have to fight for something that is already our right. Like I told my daughter tonight. Question authority. Color outside the lines and make a difference.

A tourist with a gun in Montana?????:question: Lookin to buy land:D

Cheers all