• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Sports Northwest is anti-OC

Cue-Ball

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Now I simply go out to the woods to the east, yes it's a little bit of a drive, but I get to shoot out where I can pretty much do anything I want and I pay nothing but gas money....still comes out cheaper than going to the actual range, and I have more fun.
I've been talking about doing the same thing with a few friends of mine. The problem is, we can't seem to find anywhere that we can actually shoot! It seems like everywhere is either private property, public "no firearms" property, or is within 500' of a residence.

I live in Kirkland and would LOVE to find somewhere within a 30 minute drive that I could shoot freely.

rbarrans

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As I'm off school for a week, I'll take this on as a project. In other words, please don't bombard them with emails or phonecalls. If I need a "show of force" to get it changed, I'll post as much here.
Did you ever got a response from SSNW? They're still not open yet but they haven't changed the wording on their website.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi knight_308
Welcome to the forum.I shoot quite a lot at the Renton club. Mostly the shotgun range though. However if you want to change the rules attend the board of directors and membership meetings. Maybe even get yourself appointed to the board. Also Renton hosts many events where rapid fire shooting is allowed. Perhaps you could organize and talk with them about hosting such an event. Wait. Are you a member? If not sign up. It is only about a hundred dollars and the rifle and pistol ranges are free for members. Then attend the meetings. The rules are member driven.

Also I understand the extra emphasis on safety at these clubs. A lot of customers show up handling or carrying guns for the first time. That doesn't include the dumb ones of which there are plenty. Anyhow the club wouldn't know who is who until an accident occurred.When it doesthere are those who would useevery excuse to try and shut them down.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I can understand such rules. While they wouldn't be necessary in a perfect world, given customer to employee ratios upwards of 15 to 1, it is a big job for the guy to keep an eye out for the range retards and their unsafe practices.

Go to any range and look at all the bullet strikes on the walls, ceilings, broken target carriers, etc. and it should give you a better understanding of why the rules are as strict as they are.

Personally I don't have a problem going into a range unloaded. Even if I am unloaded and cased, there is still a full magazine within quick reach. It is also a simple thing to just CC a gun you aren't planning to shoot if being armed at the range is important to you. Like anywhere else, the worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Regarding SSNW - I was also excited when I heard about SSNW, that is until I saw their "plan". A $250 annual membership and you STILL have to pay range fees of $12.50 a visit. Of course, members get to watch theTV in the lounge :quirky. I go to the range to shoot. If I want to watch TV, I can do that at home. The reactive steel sounds good, but alas, can only do it at the elevated membership levels, it isn't avail to "basic" members. Sorry, they are going to really need to sweeten the pot to get me into a $250/yr membership that doesn't even include range time. As much as I hate to recommend Wade's to anyone I don't dislike, I think they have a better deal...

I am amember at Sam's in Everett, have been for a few years now. Much more rational prices ($125 individual/$150 family if I recall) and that gets you unlimited free range time. They will let members shoot rifles (after a safety check), no limit on magazine capacity. Reasonable rapid fire isn't an issue if you are safe. I think the written rule is one round per second. They chewed my ass once for dumping a 30 round AK mag in about 15 seconds. I've never fired a handgun fast enough to get their attention, and I occasionlly let loose on a mag or two.

Like others have said, the place to go is the hills. Just please be safe and eco-friendly if you do. Pack out what you shoot up, police the area. Leave it cleanerthan it was when you came. If more folks did that, there wouldn't be such a push to shut plinking sites down.

Cue-Ball

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Like others have said, the place to go is the hills. Just please be safe and eco-friendly if you do. Pack out what you shoot up, police the area. Leave it cleanerthan it was when you came. If more folks did that, there wouldn't be such a push to shut plinking sites down.
Easier said than done. I would love to be able to jump in the car and do some shooting in the woods. The problem is that between the residence distance regulations, private land, and public "no shooting" land, there don't seem to be many places that you CAN shoot anymore.

Guess I need to make friends with a farmer.

RSO1911

imported post

Wow, this is an interesting read.

They don't open carry so they don't look like tools. Thats why they also dress nice, not like the wanna be ricky recons at other places.

To everyone who thinks SSNW is "anti-carry" "anti-conceal" or whatever, your wrong.

Everyone is carrying, everyone is military, and everyone is courteous, respectful and well dressed.

If the fact the store Policy is "no OC", and that doesn't sit well with you tough titties. I'm sure the guys working there are glad to HAVE a job in this economy.

I scraped together the agonizingly high sum of 50 bucks to shoot there, because I don't want to get shot by gang bangers at wades, or watch people commit suicide like at sams.

Cue-Ball

imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
They don't open carry so they don't look like tools. Thats why they also dress nice, not like the wanna be ricky recons at other places.
Wow. Your first post on a pro-open carry forum and you call us all "tools". I think that's a new record. Zero to complete disrespect in 60 seconds.

If the fact the store Policy is "no OC", and that doesn't sit well with you tough titties. I'm sure the guys working there are glad to HAVE a job in this economy.
They are well within their rights to make a no-OC rule at their establishment. We are well within our rights to take our business elsewhere, to establishments that respect our rights. As far as the economy goes, one sure way to lose business (and possibly lose some jobs) is to drive away law abiding, paying customers.

PolskiG

imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
I scraped together the agonizingly high sum of 50 bucks to shoot there, because I don't want to get shot by gang bangers at wades, or watch people commit suicide like at sams.
People have committed suicide at Wades too.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
Wow, this is an interesting read.

[SNIP]
:shock:

RSO1911 = Range Safety Officer?

At Shooting Sports Northwest?

RSO1911 wrote:
Everyone is carrying, everyone is military, and everyone is courteous, respectful and well dressed.
No, no they are not. You do consider yourself a member of the "everyone" group?

RSO1911

imported post

diesel556 wrote

RSO1911 wrote:
LOL, hmm either you haven't been in there for awhile, or you were an a-hole in the store. It's a lot different than it had been. OR, if you acted like a dick, I'm sure you were given the cold shoulder.

Please tell me why you think what you do about the place.

RSO1911

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
RSO1911 wrote:
Wow. Your first post on a pro-open carry forum and you call us all "tools". I think that's a new record. Zero to complete disrespect in 60 seconds.

They are well within their rights to make a no-OC rule at their establishment. We are well within our rights to take our business elsewhere, to establishments that respect our rights. As far as the economy goes, one sure way to lose business (and possibly lose some jobs) is to drive away law abiding, paying customers.

If you want to confuse me talking about the employee's with people on this board, so you can get all reactionary; fine, kind of what I expected.

I've seen a few people OC in the store, and no one makes a stink about it. But you wouldn't know that because you read on a website that "they disrespect your rights" and go elsewhere. Thank goodness we live in s gun friendly states and we have plenty of places to shoot. Although if al your traveling is done on the internet, you might not know that.

Hef

imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
diesel556 wrote

RSO1911 wrote:
LOL, hmm either you haven't been in there for awhile, or you were an a-hole in the store. It's a lot different than it had been. OR, if you acted like a dick, I'm sure you were given the cold shoulder.

You're off to a great start. I think I'll go make some popcorn for this one.

sirpuma

imported post

1. The Q&A that the OP quoted no longer shows on the web sites list.

2. RSO, you revived a thread almost a year old.

3. RSO, started by jumping on people. All in all not a good start.

:celebrate:monkey

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
You didn't answer my question. Does the RSO in your name mean that you are a range safety officer at Shooting Sports Northwest?

RSO1911 wrote:
I think my first reply was too subtle. I've never been to that range; I have faith that you are absolutely sufficient as a spokesperson. At least to the extent that your claim of general amiability can be disproved.

RSO1911 wrote:
I've seen a few people OC in the store, and no one makes a stink about it. But you wouldn't know that because you read on a website that "they disrespect your rights" and go elsewhere. Thank goodness we live in s gun friendly states and we have plenty of places to shoot. Although if al your traveling is done on the internet, you might not know that.

That is good to hear. Thank you for giving us an update. However, as I am sure you will agree, there is a distinct difference between not having an anti-opencarry policy and not enforcing an anti-opencarry policy.

heresolong

imported post

Well, in an effort to get this thread back on track, my experience has been that every range I have been to where I knew the policy was a "cold range". No loaded firearms, period. I am going to be working with the Custer Sportsmen's Club to see if I can get them to change their rules for holstered weapons not being used for shooting.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
Well, in an effort to get this thread back on track, my experience has been that every range I have been to where I knew the policy was a "cold range". No loaded firearms, period. I am going to be working with the Custer Sportsmen's Club to see if I can get them to change their rules for holstered weapons not being used for shooting.
You need to get out to some different ranges! I open carry all the time at Wade's in Bellevue (store, and range; and have even let the RSO's shoot my OC 10mm when they asked!).

I also OC as standard practice at my regular range ( http://www.cascaderifleandpistol.org ), whether I am going to be shooting my OC weapon or something else (rifle, shotgun, etc.).

Heck, I even OC'ed my loaded firearm to a couple of FAS ( http://www.firearmsacademy.com ) classroom training sessions, and onto the range after for live fire training. That was actually a great experience and I am very glad that I did so, because I was engaged by 4 or 5 people in active discussion/education about OC.

Another member commented about the Renton clubs policy against holstered arms. That is the main reason I left that club, however I spoke with several of the RSO's there and they had no problem with my having a holstered weapon.

FMCDH

imported post

Ok, a little light on this subject and a cool headed view since many of you know me.

I have been a member of SSNW for close to a year now, and yes, they DO have a policy on the books that states that no firearms can be loaded until on the line. My belief is that this is a policy required by insurance. A COA measure.

Now, that being said, when I was inquiring on becoming a member I brought up the policy to the range sup, James, and he told me that as long as people are not stupid about the carry of their firearms and they remained holstered at all times when not on line, it is not a problem for people to open or conceal carry even in a loaded manner.

They have the same general policy as the rest of the DGS stores, that you must ask for permission from a sales associate or range master before you un-holster your weapon (loaded or not) for any other reason when not on line. I personally think this is completely fair. I have asked to take my pistol out in the past to try a new holster or to affix a laser sight, etc. and have never had a problem or been denied.

I carry both open and concealed at the SSNW range every time I am there, and have never had a problem, and I know that others do as well.

Its the same as their rapid fire or quick draw policy, that as long as you are safe and sane and can show you are responsible, they have no problem with your doing it, and I personally have no problem with their having a policy that is meant to apply only to the idiot 1%.

RSO1911

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
RSO1911 wrote:
You didn't answer my question. Does the RSO in your name mean that you are a range safety officer at Shooting Sports Northwest?

RSO1911 wrote:
I think my first reply was too subtle. I've never been to that range; I have faith that you are absolutely sufficient as a spokesperson. At least to the extent that your claim of general amiability can be disproved.

RSO1911 wrote:

That is good to hear. Thank you for giving us an update. However, as I am sure you will agree, there is a distinct difference between not having an anti-opencarry policy and not enforcing an anti-opencarry policy.
I Rso'd at Pendleton a while (and .22 competition smallbore), and I shoot mostly 1911's. Thats where the name comes from. I shot at wades, sams, and the occasional trip to E. Wa.

I started shooting at SSNW recently because it's close. I still go to Nor-point to shoot my rifle because it's not worth the expensive membership, and it's near my grand folks place (two birds, one stone).

I won't shoot at Wades anymore after seeing a co-worker get burned on a rifle, and bait and switched on an EOTech (bought an 850$ one, received a 400$ one...)

I stopped shooting at sams after a lady caught shrap in her face from an ND into a baffel, and recently a ND went parralel to the firing line from some kids getting pics, miracle no one was coming off the line at the time! I've had more guns pointed at me dragging my stuff to the line than I ever did overseas (that only a small exageration...).

I'd love to check out some of the ranges south of Seattle, I always hear good things, but never have the time. I'd love to find an outdoor range thats NOT kenmore. Does anyone know the status on the range at Eby island?

just_a_car

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Ok, a little light on this subject and a cool headed view since many of you know me.

I have been a member of SSNW for close to a year now, and yes, they DO have a policy on the books that states that no firearms can be loaded until on the line. My belief is that this is a policy required by insurance. A COA measure.

Now, that being said, when I was inquiring on becoming a member I brought up the policy to the range sup, James, and he told me that as long as people are not stupid about the carry of their firearms and they remained holstered at all times when not on line, it is not a problem for people to open or conceal carry even in a loaded manner.

They have the same general policy as the rest of the DGS stores, that you must ask for permission from a sales associate or range master before you un-holster your weapon (loaded or not) for any other reason when not on line. I personally think this is completely fair. I have asked to take my pistol out in the past to try a new holster or to affix a laser sight, etc. and have never had a problem or been denied.

I carry both open and concealed at the SSNW range every time I am there, and have never had a problem, and I know that others do as well.

Its the same as their rapid fire or quick draw policy, that as long as you are safe and sane and can show you are responsible, they have no problem with your doing it, and I personally have no problem with their having a policy that is meant to apply only to the idiot 1%.
This is great to hear... as it directly contradicts what I heard from them as related in my reply on June 12th, 2008 on Page 1 of this thread.

Hopefully, your account is accurate so I can confirm with them their stance on open carry in the establishment.