• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Sports Northwest is anti-OC

FMCDH

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
This is great to hear... as it directly contradicts what I heard from them as related in my reply on June 12th, 2008 on Page 1 of this thread.

Hopefully, your account is accurate so I can confirm with them their stance on open carry in the establishment.
Another case of policy meets reality and does not survive. ;)

Now that they are open and in full swing of business, they must have realized how absurd the policy would be in a state like Washington.

RSO1911

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
This is great to hear... as it directly contradicts what I heard from them as related in my reply on June 12th, 2008 on Page 1 of this thread.

Hopefully, your account is accurate so I can confirm with them their stance on open carry in the establishment.

I just think it's funny everyone gets so fired up about a store policy; that they read on the internet, that may or may not be enforced when it's plainly a "cover your ass" policy...
Especially, when you think about it, How are the employees going to know you read the website, and found the part about OC? If you come in OC'ing, I doubt they'll start yelling "Didn't you read on the website no OC! They might say something if your not a member, then again it's a members only range so whatever.

heresolong

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
Well, in an effort to get this thread back on track, my experience has been that every range I have been to where I knew the policy was a "cold range". No loaded firearms, period. I am going to be working with the Custer Sportsmen's Club to see if I can get them to change their rules for holstered weapons not being used for shooting.
You need to get out to some different ranges!
I have actually been a member at, or shot at on a regular basis, ranges in Washington, California, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Every one of them was a cold range by rule.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
Well, in an effort to get this thread back on track, my experience has been that every range I have been to where I knew the policy was a "cold range". No loaded firearms, period. I am going to be working with the Custer Sportsmen's Club to see if I can get them to change their rules for holstered weapons not being used for shooting.
I have actually been a member at, or shot at on a regular basis, ranges in Washington, California, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Every one of them was a cold range by rule.
I provided multiple examples of hot ranges, including one of the ranges you had previously visited that you stated was a "cold" range, but was hot by practice.

Again, you need to change your venue, or be more selective as a customer.

just_a_car

imported post

RSO1911 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

I just think it's funny everyone gets so fired up about a store policy; that they read on the internet, that may or may not be enforced when it's plainly a "cover your ass" policy...
Especially, when you think about it, How are the employees going to know you read the website, and found the part about OC? If you come in OC'ing, I doubt they'll start yelling "Didn't you read on the website no OC! They might say something if your not a member, then again it's a members only range so whatever.
I just think it's funny you didn't take the time to read my initial reply to this thread where I said I called them and talked to someone there. How is this "reading it on the internet" unless you're just calling me a liar?

Whether they enforce it or not is important, but if they tell people that ask that it's policy not to allow holstered, loaded firearms... do they really expect people to psychically know they mean to say "We're just saying that for the insurance companies, we're actually cool with it. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*"?

heresolong

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
I provided multiple examples of hot ranges, including one of the ranges you had previously visited that you stated was a "cold" range, but was hot by practice.

Again, you need to change your venue, or be more selective as a customer.
I think you may be mistaking me for someone else on here. The only range I referred to by name was Custer. They are cold. It is in their policy and I know the range manager. She enforces the rule when she sees people carrying since that is her job.

Unfortunately when it comes to "being more selective" you don't always have that option. Where I was stationed in California there was only one range within decent driving distance. Where I live in Washington there are two ranges, but the second is half an hour away versus six minutes for Custer. The other states, there generally wasn't more than one range within a decent driving time. I am willing to shoot at a cold range if it means I don't have to drive a long time to get there. I find myself shooting far more often than if I have a long commute.

Unfortunately shooting ranges are not like grocery stores. If Haggen ever becomes untenable for shopping, I can always go to Costcutter or Safeway. They are about the same distance. Ranges, not so much.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
I am willing to shoot at a cold range if it means I don't have to drive a long time to get there. I find myself shooting far more often than if I have a long commute.
Apparently we have different standards ;).

heresolong wrote:
I think you may be mistaking me for someone else on here. The only range I referred to by name was Custer. They are cold. It is in their policy and I know the range manager. She enforces the rule when she sees people carrying since that is her job.
I originally wrote this in response to your post:

[SNIP]Another member commented about the Renton clubs policy against holstered arms. That is the main reason I left that club, however I spoke with several of the RSO's there and they had no problem with my having a holstered weapon.

I did later make the mistake of referring to you as that member, my apologies.

RSO1911

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I just think it's funny you didn't take the time to read my initial reply to this thread where I said I called them and talked to someone there. How is this "reading it on the internet" unless you're just calling me a liar?

Whether they enforce it or not is important, but if they tell people that ask that it's policy not to allow holstered, loaded firearms... do they really expect people to psychically know they mean to say "We're just saying that for the insurance companies, we're actually cool with it. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*"?

Hmm, wasn't talking about you specifically, and wasn't even talking about the particular store. Just about people on the internet getting fired up. People like to confrontational I get it.

heresolong

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
I am willing to shoot at a cold range if it means I don't have to drive a long time to get there. I find myself shooting far more often than if I have a long commute.
Apparently we have different standards ;).
I like to shoot at least every other week, more often in the summer. If I have to drive over an hour each way it just isn't worth my time. I typically spend at least two hours or more at the range every time I go and there goes half a day plus. If I go to the range around the corner (which in every other way is perfect except for the cold range issue) I can essentially shoot for two hours in a two hour block. Easy enough to stop by on the way home from work and get in an hour or two with no hassles and save even the six minutes each way.

Everyone has their own ideas on this and that's fine, I just don't have the kind of time in my life to spend it driving more than I have to. One of the reasons I left CA after I got out of the Navy. My Navy career and my post Navy civilian job each had me commuting 45 min to 1.5 hours each way, every day (except when I was out at sea). Just wasn't worth the effort.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
I like to shoot at least every other week, more often in the summer. If I have to drive over an hour each way it just isn't worth my time. I typically spend at least two hours or more at the range every time I go and there goes half a day plus. If I go to the range around the corner (which in every other way is perfect except for the cold range issue) I can essentially shoot for two hours in a two hour block. Easy enough to stop by on the way home from work and get in an hour or two with no hassles and save even the six minutes each way.

Everyone has their own ideas on this and that's fine, I just don't have the kind of time in my life to spend it driving more than I have to. One of the reasons I left CA after I got out of the Navy. My Navy career and my post Navy civilian job each had me commuting 45 min to 1.5 hours each way, every day (except when I was out at sea). Just wasn't worth the effort.
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The range I now use is around 30 - 45 minutes away, compared to the range I used to be a member of which is only 4 blocks away. I guess I just feel like I get more bang for my buck when I understand and agree with my range policies. That might change after I've been using it for more then a year though ;).

I agree that a daily commute longer than 30 minutes is pushing it.