• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friday Night Live/Herndon Festival - Herndon, VA

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Whenever I go someplace where they might be searching my baggage I always put a flyer with the 4th Ammendment printed on it in big letters on the top so it's the first thing they see when they open it.
Great idea!

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Whenever I go someplace where they might be searching my baggage I always put a flyer with the 4th Ammendment printed on it in big letters on the top so it's the first thing they see when they open it.
Great idea!
Yeah, but it's totally lost on the low-IQ types who do that sort of thing to people's baggage.

dyver1

imported post

Every Friday night from June to August there are concerts on the "Town Green" (Which is just a big lawn for the Town Council Building)in Herndon. These events are sponsored by the Herndon Chamber of Commerce and others. They control access to the "Green" and check coolers and bags for alcohol because bringing alcohol into the event is against ABC regulations since alcohol is for sale by the Herndon High School All Night Grad Committee.

My question is: Has anyone ever open carried to a FNL event?

and, Can you CC to the event since alcohol is offered for sale for on site consumption only?

If you have open carried, were you hasseled by anyone? Either the volunteer "marshals" or the numerous police who are in the area?

There is a concert there this week by a Jimmy Buffet tribute band that I want to see and I was pondering carryingsince I will NOT be drinking this week.

BTW, if you have never been, these are great events that are very well attended by lots of people of all ages when the weather is good.

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

TexasNative

imported post

I've never been there, so I couldn't begin to guess about your OC questions, but as far as CC is concerned, it depends on the type of ABC license they have. I seriously doubt that they have a Restaurant or Club license, which are the only two types where CC is prohibited. If I were going (and I may have to consider doing that soon), I wouldn't hesitate to CC.

While OC is undoubtedly legal there, who knows if it would result in a hassle of some sort?

~ Boyd

RedKnightt

imported post

My $0.02:

Yes, you can carry there. It's public property, so preemption prevents them from legally forbidding firearms. Also, the ABC license is an event license, not a restaurant license, so CC is allowed. The whole "inspection" of coolers thing is fairly shaky on constitutional grounds, IMO, but that's not the topic here.

Marco

imported post

IIRC, there was a recent incident of an OC'er that was asked to leave the Herndon Festival.

I believe VCDL hierarchy contacted Herndon PD hierarchy and got the issues resolved, Herndon should be up to speed.

This was posted in a recent VCDL alert.

[line]

I have OC'ed at numerous Herndon events (04 to present)with no issue.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've OC'd a few times at the Herndon FNL. I don't sit down and stay all evening. I generally walk around and sit in a few different places for about 20 minutes. I hand out Ed's cards and VCDL bright green cards to anyone interested. Lots of families in attendance so :shock: and :X will occur. Also, it can be crowded and boisterous enough that I keep my elbow or forearm in contact with my holstered pistol at all times.

Then I go to DQ for a Blizzard! :p

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've OC'd a few times at the Herndon FNL. I don't sit down and stay all evening. I generally walk around and sit in a few different places for about 20 minutes. I hand out Ed's cards and VCDL bright green cards to anyone interested. Lots of families in attendance so :shock: and :X will occur. Also, it can be crowded and boisterous enough that I keep my elbow or forearm in contact with my holstered pistol at all times.

Then I go to DQ for a Blizzard! :p

I replied to the prior thread on this topic...which I'll post here as well...:?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

To: brad.anzengruber@herndon-va.gov, Art.Anselene@herndon-va.gov, toussaint.summers@herndon-va.gov, Cindy.Roeder@herndon-va.gov
CC: herndon@connectionnewspapers.com
Sent: 5/22/2010 12:09:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Legally carried Firearms at the Herndon Festival and Festival website

Hello -

On April 28th I had both written an e-mail to you all and also called
Mr. Anselene about the legal carry of firearms at the Herndon
Festival.

Mr. Anzengruber responded with "The Herndon Police will follow the law.";
Mr. Kaufman suggested I contact the Town Manager or his staff for a
response. (which I did).

I spoke to Mr. Anselene and he confirmed that the Town of Herndon will
follow the law.

I now see on the Herndon Festival Website

2010herndonfestival.jpg

(Image attached and
available at your web address of
http://www.herndonfestival.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=28)
the following text under Festival Guidelines and Tips:

7. Under applicable Virginia law, weapons of any kind are
prohibited in the Festival area. Toys, reproductions, or other items
that may be perceived to be a weapon are prohibited from the Festival
area.
8. All bags, purses, backpacks, and other hand carry items are
subject to search for prohibited items.

Your message on your website seems to contradict that you will follow
the law and offers confusing and irresponsible "trickery". The people
of the community deserve better than that.

Please let me know what you plan to do.

Thank you,

Ed

> In a message dated 4/28/2010 12:33:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> brad.anzengruber@herndon-va.gov writes:
>
> The Herndon Police will follow the law.
> - - - -- -
> From: town.attorney@herndon-va.gov
> To: ed
> CC: Art.Anselene@herndon-va.gov, toussaint.summers@herndon-va.gov,
> Cindy.Roeder@herndon-va.gov
> Sent: 4/28/2010 11:38:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
> Subj: RE: Herndon Festival - Firearms?
>
> Suggest you ask the Town Manager or his staff for a response from the
> Town. Richard
> Richard B. Kaufman, Town Attorney

nova

imported post

CAUTION:
One of the shuttle bus stops is in front of Herndon High School's main entrance, ON K-12 PROPERTY.

I was thinking of going (and stopping by NOVA Armament too since they said they'll be open). Parking looks like a pain so I'll see what I do.

And I'll be OCing as usual (because Fairfax will probably draw out the full 45 days on my CHP, and this event will be around day 39 :cuss: )

Riana

imported post

I was helping prep things for our upcoming participation at the Herndon Festival (I help run a booth for the local DAR chapter) and the other participants pointed out theHerdon Festival Guidelines: http://www.herndonfestival.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38&Itemid=28 .

Note item #7:

7. Under applicable Virginia law, weapons of any kind are prohibited in the Festival area. Toys, reproductions, or other items that may be perceived to be a weapon are prohibited from the Festival area. The use of squirt guns and/or the spraying of any products, the throwing of balls, Frisbees, or other objects are not permitted in the Festival area.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to which "applicable Virginia law" they're talking about? Didn't this get cleared up last year?

Edit: Nevermind. Ed seems to have already taken up this fight: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/12217.html

Riana

imported post

I knew you were the guy in the know, Ed. :cool:

I'll be there, but I'll be working at a booth, thus probably CCing most of the time. But you can always come by and visit anyway. As I understand it, they're putting us next to the First Aid booth off the bike trail, but I don't know for sure. Or you could see me wandering around cleaning tables (that's our job again this year).

Riana

imported post

nova wrote:
CAUTION:
One of the shuttle bus stops is in front of Herndon High School's main entrance, ON K-12 PROPERTY.

I was thinking of going (and stopping by NOVA Armament too since they said they'll be open). Parking looks like a pain so I'll see what I do.

And I'll be OCing as usual (because Fairfax will probably draw out the full 45 days on my CHP, and this event will be around day 39 :cuss: )

As far as shuttle stops, you can always park somewhere, then walk along the shuttle route. When I lived in town, I would walk to Elden Street from Herndon Parkway (near Giant), walk down Elden until I saw the shuttle, then flag them down. They'd stop.

You could also consider catching the shuttle down near Worldgate.

And yes, parking is a serious PITA that weekend. Even as a vendor, it is a pain.

fizzer

imported post

This is the email I received from the town of herndon:

The key words are"underapplicableVirginia State Law"as you know open carry is permittedand wewelcome your attendance at the Festival.However there are instances where it is unlawful for a person to havea firearm such as aa person who is a convicted felon.It is also unlawful for a person to carrya concealed weaponunless theyhave a concealed weapons permit. Every law abiding citizen is welcome at the Herndon Festival

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

fizzer wrote:
This is the email I received from the town of herndon:

The key words are"underapplicableVirginia State Law"as you know open carry is permittedand wewelcome your attendance at the Festival.However there are instances where it is unlawful for a person to havea firearm such as aa person who is a convicted felon.It is also unlawful for a person to carrya concealed weaponunless theyhave a concealed weapons permit. Every law abiding citizen is welcome at the Herndon Festival
Wow, if that's their intent, the wording on their website is quite deceptive.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DrMark wrote:
Wow, if that's their intent, the wording on their website is quite deceptive.
Yep, of course it is. Their goal is to dissuade law-abiding citizens from questioning authority. Those of us aware of the laws are the only ones who will question them.

Dreamer

imported post

I just went to the Herdon Festival website, and it looks like they've updated the text on their "rules". They've removed that whole shenanigans about "under applicable Virginia Laws...":

Festival Guidelines and Tips
Having a great time at the Festival with 80,000 of your closest friends and neighbors is easy... as long as you remember a few guidelines:
  1. No alcoholic beverages may be carried into the Festival area.
  2. No glass containers, bottles, cans, coolers, kegs and/or any containers other than plastic or paper cups may be carried into the Festival area.
  3. No bicycles, skateboards, in-line or roller skates or other forms of transportation, except wheelchairs or scooters for people with special needs, are allowed in the Festival area.
  4. No animals, except Seeing Eye dogs and service animals are allowed in the Festival area.
  5. Shirts and footwear are required.
  6. Audio or video recording stage entertainment is not permitted and video cameras, audio recording devices, and professional cameras (cameras with detachable lenses) are prohibited at any stage.
  7. The use of squirt guns and/or the spraying of any products, the throwing of balls, Frisbees, or other objects are not permitted in the Festival area.
  8. All bags, purses, backpacks, and other hand carry items are subject to search for prohibited items.
  9. Please do not smoke on festival grounds. Underage smoking is prohibited.