• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jacked up in 30th St. Station - Phila.

georgedonnelly

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
georgedonnelly wrote:
"Specifically, they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms is not a concealed carry permit, but rather it is a license to carry firearms statewide"

Huh? I thought the following were true:

- There is no such thing as a license to carry firearms in PA

- There is the LTCF which is only required for concealed carry or any type of carry in the city of Philadelphia.

I think they need to work on the wording of that sentence.
The LTCF stands for License to Carry Firearms

30th St. Station is within the City of Philadelphia so I needed the LTCF.
Yes I understand that but even so that sentence says an LTCF is not a concealed carry permit. But it is. IOW, an LTCF allows you to carry your firearm concealed in PA.

ScottNH

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
The Sergeant then asked LPRGCFRANK if he had any other firearms and LPRGCFRANK advised that of course he did and that he was carrying a J-frame revolver in his left pocket.
So my kind of guy. Way to go.

lprgcFrank

imported post

georgedonnelly wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
georgedonnelly wrote:
"Specifically, they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms is not a concealed carry permit, but rather it is a license to carry firearms statewide"

- There is the LTCF which is only required for concealed carry or any type of carry in the city of Philadelphia.

Yes I understand that but even so that sentence says an LTCF is not a concealed carry permit. But it is. IOW, an LTCF allows you to carry your firearm concealed in PA.
George - sorry I'm dense - I reread the sentence and now I get your point. This could have been written more clearly to make the point that the LTCF does not require concealed carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ScottNH wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
The Sergeant then asked LPRGCFRANK if he had any other firearms and LPRGCFRANK advised that of course he did and that he was carrying a J-frame revolver in his left pocket.
+1 - my favorite sentence

My second favorite:
"...they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms is not a concealed carry permit, but rather it is a license to carry firearms statewide."

Why is that a favorite? Well let's parse it down and get rid of the extraneous:

"...they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms ... is a license to carry firearms..."

:celebrate

If it were a concealed only permit I think they might have put the word "concealed" somewhere in it's title.

"I meant what I said and said what I meant, an elephant faithful one hundred percent" - Horton

georgedonnelly

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ScottNH wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:

My second favorite:
"...they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms is not a concealed carry permit, but rather it is a license to carry firearms statewide."

"...they seem to not understand that a license to carry firearms ... is a license to carry firearms..."

If it were a concealed only permit I think they might have put the word "concealed" somewhere in it's title.

"I meant what I said and said what I meant, an elephant faithful one hundred percent" - Horton
And yet LTCF __IS__ a concealed-only permit, outside of cities of the first class (Philly only).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

georgedonnelly wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
ScottNH wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:

My second favorite:

And yet LTCF __IS__ a concealed-only permit, outside of cities of the first class (Philly only).
As I understand it, the LTCF is still a license to carry firearm every where in PA, however, it is not required for any method of carry excepting CC outside of first class cities.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
As I understand it, the LTCF is still a license to carry firearm every where in PA, however, it is not required for any method of carry excepting CC outside of first class cities.
A LTCF (from any state) is also required to carry, open or concealed, while in or on a vehicle. Unlicensed "transport" of an unloaded handgun is ambiguous per current state law.

However, due to this provision, it is nigh impossible to carry a handgun unlicensed in rural areas (unless one likes to walk a lot); the only areas where it is practical, urban areas, are littered with 1000'-radius circles around K-12 school property, where one could be prosecuted under Federal law. Consequently, I have argued for some time that Pennsylvania is a de facto "licensed open carry" state, and the LTCF is the license required to do so.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
georgedonnelly wrote:

Right - not thatI am encouraging open carriers in philadelphia to refuse to show LTCFs, but still, as a technical matter, as implied by the Fourth Amendment, and required by the UFA, there still needs to be a lawful demand for the LTCF - like, reasonable articulable suspicion that crime is afoot. See Terry v. Ohio; 18 Pa.C.S §6122a ("General rule.-When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a ve­hicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection");State v. Peters, 2008 WL 2185754 (Wis. App. I Dist. 2008) (holding no duty for vehicle driver to show driver's license to police on demand unless police have reasonable articulable suspicion to conduct stop of driver;"We turn first to the investigative traffic stop, often called a Terry stop. The law of investigative stops allows police officers to stop a person when they have less than probable cause. State v. Waldner, 206 Wis.2d 51, 59, 556 N.W.2d 681 (1996). To justify an investigatory seizure, the police must have a reasonable suspicion, grounded in specific articulable facts and reasonable inferences from those facts, that an individual is violating or has violated the law. State v. Colstad, 2003 WI App 25, ¶ 8, 260 Wis.2d 406, 659 N.W.2d 394. “The question of what constitutes reasonable suspicion is a common sense test: under all the facts and circumstances present, what would a reasonable police officer reasonably suspect in light of his or her training and experience.” State v. Young, 212 Wis.2d 417, 424, 569 N.W.2d 84 (Ct.App.1997).").

lprgcFrank

imported post

Mike,
I agree - one of the problems is that the Amtrak PD took the word of a conductor that carrying a firearm was not permitted on the train. They should have already know the law. From the interaction, I think it was pretty clear that these officers had little to no training on PA law regarding citizens with firearms.

What went through my head was that he had RAS based on the Conductor's statement.

I'll be back in 30th St. Station on Thursday night on my way back from Houston - it'll be interesting to see if they've learned anything.

As an aside, I spent about an hour in the Philly airport OC'ing last night - encountered 2 Philly PD with no issues. The way it should be - without RAS of a crime - no reason to ask an OC'ing person for their LTCF.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
Mike,
I agree - one of the problems is that the Amtrak PD took the word of a conductor that carrying a firearm was not permitted on the train. They should have already know the law. From the interaction, I think it was pretty clear that these officers had little to no training on PA law regarding citizens with firearms.

What went through my head was that he had RAS based on the Conductor's statement.

I'll be back in 30th St. Station on Thursday night on my way back from Houston - it'll be interesting to see if they've learned anything.

As an aside, I spent about an hour in the Philly airport OC'ing last night - encountered 2 Philly PD with no issues. The way it should be - without RAS of a crime - no reason to ask an OC'ing person for their LTCF.

Your posts are not quite as clear as they could be - everybody needs to get more laser focussed on key facts in their posts - it appears that you were boarding a SEPTA train right?

So you are saying that federal AMTRAC police were attempting to enforce a non-existent law based on a report from a SEPTA conductor?

I hope you got the names of the officers and are going to follow up with a complaint to whoever controls AMTRAK police..

lprgcFrank

imported post

Mike,
You are correct. I was getting off a SEPTA train in 30th St. station on my way to another SEPTA train. Amtrak PD are first responders there.

I got the names. I have retained counsel and my attorney has sent a letter to the captain of Amtrak PD. The body of the complaint letter sent on July 9 were Posted to this board on : Thu Jul 17th, 2008 12:00 pm. Copies were sent to the Philly DA's gun violence task force, SEPTA PD and the general counsels of SEPTA and AMTRAK and the Delaware county sheriff.

Key demands in the letter are for officer training on PA carry laws, an apology from the Sgt for the threat to arrest me for a non-existent law and assurance that I will not have a repeat type encounter as I regularly take the train home from the airport and change trains in 30th st.

The letter included the PA Gun rights brochure and the LEO training document

http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf
and

imported post

Mike wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
georgedonnelly wrote:

Right - not thatI am encouraging open carriers in philadelphia to refuse to show LTCFs, but still, as a technical matter, as implied by the Fourth Amendment, and required by the UFA, there still needs to be a lawful demand for the LTCF - like, reasonable articulable suspicion that crime is afoot. See Terry v. Ohio; 18 Pa.C.S §6122a ("General rule.-When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a ve­hicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection");State v. Peters, 2008 WL 2185754 (Wis. App. I Dist. 2008) (holding no duty for vehicle driver to show driver's license to police on demand unless police have reasonable articulable suspicion to conduct stop of driver;"We turn first to the investigative traffic stop, often called a Terry stop. The law of investigative stops allows police officers to stop a person when they have less than probable cause. State v. Waldner, 206 Wis.2d 51, 59, 556 N.W.2d 681 (1996). To justify an investigatory seizure, the police must have a reasonable suspicion, grounded in specific articulable facts and reasonable inferences from those facts, that an individual is violating or has violated the law. State v. Colstad, 2003 WI App 25, ¶ 8, 260 Wis.2d 406, 659 N.W.2d 394. “The question of what constitutes reasonable suspicion is a common sense test: under all the facts and circumstances present, what would a reasonable police officer reasonably suspect in light of his or her training and experience.” State v. Young, 212 Wis.2d 417, 424, 569 N.W.2d 84 (Ct.App.1997).").

You are ALL 100% correct but that said, remember folks where you are talking about. I am a PA State Constable, a law enforcement officer and also know lots of other officers including PA State Police that when off duty will not carry openly there because this is Philly. I do not need a LTCF but still am very very weary of carrying there even concealed. If I am stopped for a brief time it doesnt kill me, it justslows me down a little but I understand why. Yes I know your thinking but if you allow that to happen then it always will. Just try folks to put yourself in those officers shoes for one minute, I am not saying have your rights stomped on but just try to see where the officer is coming from, especially there.

He doesnt care if you sue him or the department, he or she just wants to make it home that night to his or her husband and children and make sure you and the other people around do, thats all, SAFTY first and foremost. Now if your treated like dirt for no reason or held up for a long period of time then ok but alls I am saying is just try to see it from the officers standpoint and seeing all his or her fellow officers daily being killed or shot at etc.

I am not saying that you cant and you have a right to but what I am saying is down that way the law enforcement officers are dropping like flies so they are weary to ALL and you mention constitutional right to them and they dont care, go ahead and sue, they again dont care because of the the officer and "Joe Public" being shot.

Does that give them the right to do what they are doing.....no but remember, where ones rights end another persons rights begin.

lprgcFrank

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:

You are ALL 100% correct but that said, remember folks where you are talking about. I am a PA State Constable, a law enforcement officer and also know lots of other officers including PA State Police that when off duty will not carry openly there because this is Philly. I do not need a LTCF but still am very very weary of carrying there even concealed. If I am stopped for a brief time it doesnt kill me, it justslows me down a little but I understand why. Yes I know your thinking but if you allow that to happen then it always will. Just try folks to put yourself in those officers shoes for one minute, I am not saying have your rights stomped on but just try to see where the officer is coming from, especially there.

He doesnt care if you sue him or the department, he or she just wants to make it home that night to his or her husband and children and make sure you and the other people around do, thats all, SAFTY first and foremost. Now if your treated like dirt for no reason or held up for a long period of time then ok but alls I am saying is just try to see it from the officers standpoint and seeing all his or her fellow officers daily being killed or shot at etc.

I am not saying that you cant and you have a right to but what I am saying is down that way the law enforcement officers are dropping like flies so they are weary to ALL and you mention constitutional right to them and they dont care, go ahead and sue, they again dont care because of the the officer and "Joe Public" being shot.

Does that give them the right to do what they are doing.....no but remember, where ones rights end another persons rights begin.
I'm not suing anyone - all I'm looking for is the officers to get proper training in PA firearms laws so that our rights are respected and protected and an apology for crossing the line with the threat for arrest for activity that does not violate the statutes.

I agree LEO's have a tough job and I'm thankful for them and for the job that they do. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Radnor PD's professionalism, courtesy and training - but I expect that from all LEO's.

imperialism2024

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:

I mostly agree with what you're saying, and I'll try to clarify to pre-emptively stem off cop-bashing. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Most LEOs who might be inclined to stop, question, or otherwise harass OCers aren't doing so because they're frothing-at-the-mouth statists who want everyone at their mercy. But rather, they (mistakenly) believe that they're doing the right thing by investigating who they (mistakenly) believe are potential threats.

And as such, they don't care about disciplinary action. Just like how many of us aren't going to care about possible manslaughter charges if we shoot someone when our life or the lives of others are in direct and immediate danger.

It seems like the most effective technique to reverse this line of thinking is to just get more people OCing, and to increase the exposure. Perhaps once Philly cops learn that the clean-shaven guys with holstered handguns don't shoot other Philly cops, they can stop looking at the gun.

lprgcFrank

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Perhaps once Philly cops learn that the clean-shaven guys with holstered handguns don't shoot other Philly cops, they can stop looking at the gun.
Not just the clean shaven - some of us have beards too :p:p:p

imported post

Correct statement thereimperialism2024, now that don't meant there aren't those "Mr tough guy" cops out there that do the bad things and reflects on us all just like there are those that oc that do to with other alternatives in mind. Dickson City for instance was completely wrong how they handled that and lessons I am sure will be learned from that whichI reckonyou can say this , is the only thing good to come out of it" as maybe it wont happen again.

But a high crime area and very very high officer shooting area and general public shooting area I can tend to be a little bit more passive on my rights as long as they are not treating me like a criminal and keeping me detained for a long period of time but if they just check me out and everything is ok and send me on my way then I ok with it.

But like I said before, and this is just me personally, I am by no means telling anyone or even suggesting anyone on here has to be passive like that or not carry there. That is not my intent, I am just stating as to why that area comes running anytime a gun is seen or heard and the reason why that even as a law enforcement officer and others that I know just don't even go there or if we have to we just don't carry.