• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cyclists open carrying?

Tomahawk

imported post

I often OC or CC while bike riding. OC is more convenient on a warm day, and CC'ing is kind of tough. I have a handlebar bag which usually holds my headlight, cellphone, sometime a camera, and though I could conceal a gun it there's no good way to put it in there and secure it. Best place is in a hip holster. I like to use a Safepacker, because it keeps it handy and protected, and also "concealed in plain sight" so I don't get funny looks when I don't want any.

safepacker_off.jpg

If your buddy thinks OC'ing is the cure for rude drivers I would say probably not. It's not that driver are rude to you, it's that they often don't see you out the corner of their eye. Thus they probably won't notice a handgun in a holster. Personaly I don't carry my gun to try to scare people into being nice or anything like that, for me OC'ing is mainly about convenience on hot days, and sometimes a little activism.

smash29

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
id rather have the bikes ride on the sidewalk. i dont think they belong in traffic.

honestly, i never see anyone in a car do anything against a person on the bike. everyday i see multipal bike riders cause trouble.

I'd rather have guns concealed than carried openly, I don't think they belong in plain sight.

Honestly, I've never seen a need for carrying a gun but everytime I see someonewith onei see multiple looks of shock and discomfort on the faces of people around them.

Just playing devil's advocate here so I've changed the subject from bikes to guns.

How does it sound?

CPerdue

imported post

I just wear my regular holster and belt over whatever is the cycle gear du jour. I won't win any cycling fashion awards but ask how much I care.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

smash29 wrote:
johnnyb wrote:
id rather have the bikes ride on the sidewalk. i dont think they belong in traffic.

honestly, i never see anyone in a car do anything against a person on the bike. everyday i see multipal bike riders cause trouble.

I'd rather have guns concealed than carried openly, I don't think they belong in plain sight.

Honestly, I've never seen a need for carrying a gun but everytime I see someonewith onei see multiple looks of shock and discomfort on the faces of people around them.

Just playing devil's advocate here so I've changed the subject from bikes to guns.

How does it sound?
it sounds fine, you have an opinion why the hell would i make it anything more than that.

carrying a firearm = constitutional right
riding in the street blocking traffic = not a constitutional right

honestly i really dont care if bikes ride around or not, but they have to realise when they block traffic i will piss everyone off and they are very likely to get ran over weather by someone who is pissed or by them breaking all sorts of "traffic laws"

most of the people who get run over on bikes ignore turn signals of cars turning right onto a street. almost every instance i've seen in the past couple of years the bike rider has been at fault (in oregon)

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't carried on my bike yet because I have yet to find a comfortable way to do it. I would think a belt sturdy enough to hold up a holster while engaging in physical activity would be very uncomfortable. I'm thinking possibly about a nylon horizontal shoulder holster. Has anyone done this?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

johnnyb wrote:
most of the people who get run over on bikes ignore turn signals of cars turning right onto a street.
You're luck to live in a place where people have and use these "turn signals". Around here when I ride it is a total guessing game of whether someone is going to suddenly stop and turn.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

asforme wrote:
johnnyb wrote:
most of the people who get run over on bikes ignore turn signals of cars turning right onto a street.
You're luck to live in a place where people have and use these "turn signals". Around here when I ride it is a total guessing game of whether someone is going to suddenly stop and turn.
:(

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

asforme wrote:
I haven't carried on my bike yet because I have yet to find a comfortable way to do it. I would think a belt sturdy enough to hold up a holster while engaging in physical activity would be very uncomfortable. I'm thinking possibly about a nylon horizontal shoulder holster. Has anyone done this?
I use/used a nylon chest pack concealed carry holster by IIRC Direct Action. A recumbent bike is geeky enough that it disappeared into the haze of geekyness.

It rode in the center of my chest with a zip pocket for wallet, keys et cetera. The back layer was a velcro pocket for quick access. It wasn't stealthy though, the screaming RIIIIIP of velcro announced that I was drawing.

CPerdue

imported post

asforme wrote:
Actually it has not been a problem at all. I use my regular belt and holster (currently a serpa but I've used others) over my shorts and jerzy. Maybe I loosen the belt a hole but usually not. There is no interference with movement and the draw is from the usual position. The OWB holster even keeps sweat away from the gun. My biggest worry was extra wear to the ridiculiously overpriced cycling clothes but several hundred miles later I've seen none.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

modificationvt, I pretty much agree with your assessment. I used to be an avid road biker often logging often hundreds of miles a week. I have been thinking about getting back into it, however, the local idiot drivers continue to discourage that notion.

protector84

imported post

How does it sound?
It sounds like you are here trolling.

smash29

imported post

protector84 wrote:

How does it sound?
It sounds like you are here trolling.

Yup, I registered 4 months ago justhoping I might get into a peeing match over the subject of bikes vs. cars.

I ride 3-4 times a week, covering and averages of 75-100 miles, and I see just as much stupidity from drivers as I do from cyclists. I'm sorry that pointing that out apparently comes across as nothingmore than"baiting".

As gun owners y'all hate being judged by the small percentage of idiots who do stupid things but some here refuse to understand that cyclists feel the same way. On any given day millions of people ride their bikes and 99.9999% of them have no problems whatsoever, it's that .0001 that you hear about and they are the ones that some here base their opinions on. That's wrong. To me that isno different than the anti's ignoring all of you responsible gun owners and basing their opinions on the few idiots who have no business anywhere nears guns.

Take this as you wish, I'm sureit'll be removed for being off topic anyway.

Troll29

G

imported post

Getting Back on Topic: My wife is a serious biker, who is constantly having problems with Vehicles. In Idaho, we get the "Best-o-both worlds" as far as the laws are concerned. But Autos seem to have little or no regard for the laws.

I have noticed when Im CCing, We have a TON more problems with vehicles, than when I OC. However, Im left-handed, so I keep my Bulky, giant $8 nylon holster on my left hip, and Im sure its quite visible to vehicle traffic.

Last time I covered up my firearm, there was a stoplight "conflict" and sure enuf, there were profanities thrown at us. I just happened to shift my shirt, and the firearm became exposed (not against the law here) The smart-@$$ shut right up and patiently waited till we legally crossed the road.

Im not condoning "brandishing" but, like a wise man once said,"an Armed society is a Polite society"

modificationvt

imported post

Let me try posting again...I appologiese for my first post (that has been deleted for language, no harm was intended)

being an avid biker I agree with the statement, a small grup mess it up for the rest....I follow all the rules and I get messed with all the time. i dont want special treatment from cars I want equal treatment...just ask yourself "Is this what I would do if he/she were a slow moving motercycle?" because thats how a bicycle should be treated.

Now to the OC or CC. I have allways CC (biking or not) but lately have started to move towards OCing (especialy while biking) because it is just more comfrotable. So far what I have done is I have been wearing an OWB holster with a long vest, so It is CC, but with some of the heat that has been coming threw here I have been contemplating losing the vest. I am waiting on a new holster to come that has some better retention before I make the move into full OC.

Like I said in my other post, for most bikers OCing wouldnt have much of an affect on anything because strong side fore most people is curb side, so out of sight for most drivers.

The other advantage to OCing is quicker acces incase a confruntation goes too far.

p,s, sorry for my spelling

Tomahawk

imported post

GnGKlinger wrote:
there were profanities thrown at us. I just happened to shift my shirt, and the firearm became exposed (not against the law here) The smart-@$$ shut right up and patiently waited till we legally crossed the road.

Im not condoning "brandishing" but, like a wise man once said,"an Armed society is a Polite society"
That's good, because it's illegal in most places, and according to your post, it sounds like that's exactly what you did. Switching to OC from CC while in the middle of a mouth contest is not something I would advise.

polarbz

imported post

I go for recreational bike rides with the family and OC a couple times a week and have had no comments or issues about it. Sure, my Glock 20 is on my right side, and probably never gets seen, but still, its there. Most people don't notice and I can't say that I'm treated any better or worse for having it.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I ride a road racing bike wearing full on racing gear. I just OC'd through the town of 40k I live in wearing a BladeTec paddle hoster on my right side. I had to wear something underneath my riding shorts or I'd have a raw hip by now. I wasn't the most stable position to wear my weapon, but it worked fine. I'll probably consider a chest rig for the future. I got quite a few looks, rode past 2 or 3 cops and shared a few words with motorists in traffic about it. I think the cars gave me a more space than usual, but I'll have to test it multiple times to see if that is always the case when OCing.