• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My pistol permit process so far

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

I am a hop skip and a jump away from Stratford High about 2 min away from there. I have never been to the Bridgeport Range ( Stratford Ave ). But I have heard good things. This town is so small I bet we've run into each other before haha:cool:

Well I am off just got home from a trip to Buffalo, NY (work). Hopefully tomorow excuse me today which is 7 weeks the SPD will give me a call telling me my permit has arrived.

Take care.

-Joe

GoldCoaster

imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
I am a hop skip and a jump away from Stratford High about 2 min away from there. I have never been to the Bridgeport Range ( Stratford Ave ). But I have heard good things. This town is so small I bet we've run into each other before haha:cool:

Well I am off just got home from a trip to Buffalo, NY (work). Hopefully tomorow excuse me today which is 7 weeks the SPD will give me a call telling me my permit has arrived.

Take care.

-Joe
You never know! When you get your permit let me know, we can go down to BSR and break yours in and I don't need much of an excuse to go shoot mine.

What did you get (that's knocking around in the Gunshop safe) ?

The folks at troop G that take your picture and give you your state permit are pretty efficient, there's only one guy behind the counter but he gets you in and out fairly fast.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

I own a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro 9mm. I've put around 150 rounds through her already =D but I wouldn't mind going down the BSR and checking it out. Can't wait :celebrate..

Also, who should I call to see if my permit has actually come in the mail already since my mail has been finding its way to my next door neighbors house, or does it go to the PD station (Wasn't sure).

GoldCoaster

imported post

Thats a nice looking pistol, I have the S&W M&P 45 in black.

Stratford won't send the paper permit in the mail, they send you a letter telling you that it is ready to be picked up. You take the letter and some ID and the other check they want and go to SPD to the desk and tell them "I'm here to pick up my pistol permit" you show them ID, give them the check and the letter if they ask and they will give you the paper permit and a receipt for the check and away you go, straight down to the West Broad street entrance ramp, beat feet to exit 27, through the first light, next right, next right again in the parking lot for Troop G. I had my paper permit for a grand total of an hour :D

let me know when you're ready and have your baby in hand and we can go and get the barrels warm - after all, happiness is a warm gun.

If you remember the name of the detective that did your prints you could call the SPD and ask for him, failing that you could just call the detective bureau and say you want to check on the status of your pistol permit.

Waiting for it is the hardest part I'm afraid.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Sounds good to me, I will try calling SPD on Monday before heading to work hopefully the detective (a female can't recall her name) is there and I can speak with her since she was very cool and kind. I just gotta head to Cabellas pick up some target ammo and I will deff get a hold of ya so we can go shooting. I like the way the M&P looks never seen one in person. Talk to you soon.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Unless you're going to Hartford for another reason you'd be better off just going to the Evil Empire (tm) aka Walmart and pick up a couple of boxes there. They have about the cheapest ammo there. I use winchester whitebox jacketed ball and it's about $29.50 + tax for 100 rounds. Anything 30cents per round or less is a good price for 45ACP. I'd assume rounds for the 9mm would be similarly priced.

Good luck tomorrow, hopefully they will say "Oh yes, it's ready, come on down"

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

haha used to work there but I am a driver so I am up that way along with the rest of the NE (North East) all the time which is good. I can't wait to call in the morning hehe. I'll let you guys know.

srage10

imported post

Thank ghod that's now over! The process itself was fairly quick but the wait was over an hour. Every single person who came to Troop L this morning was for permit purposes. Lots of people unaware of requiring either passport, birth certificate, voter registration card, etc even for renewals.

So final tally was 10 weeks exactly.

Now to go on a shopping spree! "I want one of these and one of these and one of those and two of these...."

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

CONGRATS! Stratford is telling me 8-16 Weeks can you believe that? The detective just laughs and goes "yea buddy your no where near that window, we don't get the finger print ID cards back from the FBI till about 10-12 weeks...." I just sat there like wtf? :what::cuss:/:banghead: I've never heard of that so I think it's BS but either way congrats SRAGE! Don't go to crazy now or you might need a 6,000 LBS safe bolted into the wall/floor haha :celebrate

GoldCoaster

imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
CONGRATS! Stratford is telling me 8-16 Weeks can you believe that? The detective just laughs and goes "yea buddy your no where near that window, we don't get the finger print ID cards back from the FBI till about 10-12 weeks...." I just sat there like wtf? :what::cuss:/:banghead: I've never heard of that so I think it's BS but either way congrats SRAGE! Don't go to crazy now or you might need a 6,000 LBS safe bolted into the wall/floor haha :celebrate
That really sucks Joe! I'm guessing the FBI is having a hard time turning around the fingerprint results as they are getting inundated with them pre-Obama.

If it goes on too long you can appeal directly to the SFLU in Middletown but I'm not sure what that process entails. I don't think they are too on the ball either since they take a year just to grant hearings.

What they ought to do is take your prints and send them to the FBI and also using however many forms of ID to establish your identity do a name/DOB check on you, if that comes back clean give you a provisional permit which is revokable IF the fingerprint card comes back from the FBI with damaging information.

I'm all for keeping fireams out of the hands of felons but when the hoops and hurdles keep firearms from the hands of legitimate citizens who are perfectly within their rights to have them - that's when I get pissed.

Hang in there Joe!

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

I'm gonna try I will update as soon as I know. But yea, ugh the waiting game is horrible. :banghead: Ah well. I just don't want to wait 16 weeks witch is 4 weeks over the 12 week maximum waiting period on the DPS website. Anyways, Take care yall I will be back soon with more info :cry:.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

omg :shock: I got my letter to go pick up my Temp Permit:celebrate!!!! So it took me 7 Weeks and 4 Days!! I will be picking up my temp tomorrow morning before work and then on my way to PA I will stop at Troop G and pick up my Plastic! So GoldCoaster sometime soon we're gonna go shoot a bit hehe. Take care yall I am gonna get some rest.

GoldCoaster

imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
omg :shock: I got my letter to go pick up my Temp Permit:celebrate!!!! So it took me 7 Weeks and 4 Days!! I will be picking up my temp tomorrow morning before work and then on my way to PA I will stop at Troop G and pick up my Plastic! So GoldCoaster sometime soon we're gonna go shoot a bit hehe. Take care yall I am gonna get some rest.
Yayy this is good news! great news in fact! have a safe trip to PA and we'll def get together and send some hot lead downrange.

TheLoversWife

imported post

Hi guys...I know this is an old thread, but I found you by googling for CT Stratford pistolpermits. I too live in STratford, and called the PD this morning to make my fingerprint appointment (which is what it states on the paper that is required for the temporary permit), and they told me first available appt. is Apr 7. Now, I have been reading some other stuff online that says fingerprints are required for state, and you can do in different places. I asked the detective I spoke to if I can get fingerprinted somewhere else and she said no. Do you know if that is true? Did you have to wait months to get fingerprinted at Stratford PD?

Please help...btw...this is my first post. I am so disappointed right now. At this rate, it will be 6 months before I get a permit. :?

GoldCoaster

imported post

I'd call the SFLU in Middletown and see what your options are. It would seem to me that if they process out of state requests they could just as easily process in-state ones as well. Waiting 2 months JUST to get printed is Bullshit plain and simple.

jer2665

imported post

yeah, old thread, but I just wanted to voice my aggravation at the situation too.

I am in South Windsor, and submitted my application November 5th, with no problem at all, really easy to deal with, could go in any time, no problems. Was told to wait about a month and contact him. So I did at about 5.5 weeks, and was told

I am still awaiting the State Police to return the fingerprints to me, it should be within a week or so. There is a significant backlog due to the increase in people seeking their permit.

Sounded fine, I had no problem waiting, but now here we are at over 10 weeks, no answer from him, I emailed him 4 days ago, Jan 13, no response, called today, just got voicemail.

I'm just so frustrated, why do we even have a time estimate in the state statutes when they so freely change it and give whatever arbitrary length of time they feel like, that so many others have been given?

http://cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-28a.htm

Edit: Nice, finally got a call back today to tell me they finally got the paperwork, just waiting for the chief to sign it and i'll have the temp. hooray.

TheLoversWife

imported post

congrats on the news! Maybe the chief won't sit on it too long before he signs.

Me...I'm just waiting on my Apr 7 date to get fingerprinted. I thought about actually trying to cause a 'stink', but, since the chief has to approve and sign...I figured I better just leave it alone. Wouldn't want to give any reason for someone to say I don't 'deserve' a permit.

jer2665

imported post

yeah, I'm excited, but do expect like a week before hearing back, just based on how everything else has gone. But glad it's close to an end. They were really easy to deal with and nice, just seemed to drag their feet.

Good luck to you though, that seems absurd that they're putting you that far back, and THEN you still get to deal with the wait for the response, I know how annoying only 10 weeks was for me I couldn't imagine that.