• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is your desire for open carry for protection or for your ego?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Is it ego? Yes it is. So what!! Is it pride? You're damn right it is!! Since I always look mean when I carry (when I smile, I look mean because I am missing teeth in my old age, so I can't help it). Are there some instances when I CC? Yes. When I go into urban area, I CC; when I am in the mall, I CC; when I am in a bank, I CC (I will OC on occasions if I am in Navy Federal); when it's cold outside, I CC. Are there some instances when I OC? Yes. When I do it to show people that it is legal to do so (in VA); when I want to show off my Beretta PX-4 Storm, 17 + 1 w/extended mag, .40 cal., trijicon night sights, with a nice Galco holster; when I am out and about, I hardly see anyone OCing; when I want tosee a reaction from people who has never seen a black man carry a weapon responsibly; when I want to spark a conversation about OCing; when it's hot outside. So, there you have it!!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

Hcidem

imported post

This is why I like reading the "Why Open Carry" threads. As Smurfologist demonstrates, there are so many reasons to open carry that it cannot be addressed byeither/or questions.

For ego or pride? No, I would say because of ego and pride. It seems that most who open carry already have enough self-esteem. I don't believe open carry necessarily adds to it. I do not think anyone with a markedly low levelof self-esteem could even bring themselves to openly carry without some sort of "official" authorization.

For protection? The regular carry ofany weapon is predominantly based upon protection (with the exception of a few predators in society). The question is similar to asking if a luxury car is driven for transportation or for ego (I am not trying to bash ideator's thread topic/question.I like it for the thoughts it has generated).

Smurfologist also makes a great pointby admitting to wanting to "show off" a bit. Some of us might not ever purchase a luxury car. Many of us will never look as good as the cover girl ideatorwishes would disappear. Most of us, however, have made a significant purchase in our choice of sidearm. There is nothing wrong with wanting to display and strut a bit.

Carry on...

dodge310

imported post

I have to say. I dont carry for any reason other than Protection. I don't care what others think of me. Never have, never will. So carrying for Ego reasons is just not my style.

I do it strictly for protection only.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I'm armed smirk..... More likely i'm safe, happy and not a statistic smile.:cool:

What do you trolls suggest if the piece cannot be hidden, as when it is too
hot to wear a trenchcoat.
The simple solution to the cc/oc arguments, is do both and every situation
will be covered. Need gun in a hurry, pull the OC, time to be sneaky, pull the cc piece.

Maybe Texas should work on a discrimination angle.....
Start a nudist colony, and then sue under discrimination when you aren't aloud
to hide the gun. Or would a full holster qualify as hidden in this case?
:celebrate:celebrate

If you worry about bad guys OC'ing, then write your representatives, and
get laws changed and keep bad guys locked up in prison.

Or how about the gubment' leagalize custom weapons that look like cell phones,
cigaretts, earrings. Then everyone can carry without alarming the sheep.
I think they want the anti's scared so they will be able to go after the ones
who understand what liberty is.

Hcidem

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
What do you trolls suggest if the piece cannot be hidden, as when it is too
hot to wear a trenchcoat.
A trenchcoat? Here you have me picturing the Terminator feeling a little self-conscious about openly carrying his autoloader 12 gauge. :uhoh:

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Maybe Texas should work on a discrimination angle.....
Start a nudist colony, and then sue under discrimination when you aren't aloud
to hide the gun. Or would a full holster qualify as hidden in this case?

I like this angle. We can use the "equal protection" clause.

Someone might even make a few bucks marketing pasty holsters for nudists who don't like the chafing of straps and belts. ;)

Smurfologist

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
This is why I like reading the "Why Open Carry" threads. As Smurfologist demonstrates, there are so many reasons to open carry that it cannot be addressed byeither/or questions.

For ego or pride? No, I would say because of ego and pride. It seems that most who open carry already have enough self-esteem. I don't believe open carry necessarily adds to it. I do not think anyone with a markedly low levelof self-esteem could even bring themselves to openly carry without some sort of "official" authorization.

For protection? The regular carry ofany weapon is predominantly based upon protection (with the exception of a few predators in society). The question is similar to asking if a luxury car is driven for transportation or for ego (I am not trying to bash ideator's thread topic/question.I like it for the thoughts it has generated).

Smurfologist also makes a great pointby admitting to wanting to "show off" a bit. Some of us might not ever purchase a luxury car. Many of us will never look as good as the cover girl ideatorwishes would disappear. Most of us, however, have made a significant purchase in our choice of sidearm. There is nothing wrong with wanting to display and strut a bit.

Carry on...

Hcidem, this is why I love the US of A. In some states (like VA), there is a freedom of choice. If you choose to CC, you can (if you are the right age, of course); if you choose to OC, you can (if you are the right age and if your state allows it, of course). Don't get it twisted.......I use my weapon for protection, no doubt, whether I OC or CC!!

2nd Amendment..........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

Hcidem

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
... Don't get it twisted.......I use my weapon for protection, no doubt, whether I OC or CC!!

I hope I did not seem to twist your words. I thought you were right on message regarding reasons of protection vs. ego.

I also appreciated your additional points which seemed to state that you can also accomplish a few other things while carrying for protection. Things such as educating our citizenry of their rights, entering polite discourse on open carry, reinforcing the idea of a "man with a gun" as being a normal thing, etc. Thanks for "carrying on."

Smurfologist

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
... Don't get it twisted.......I use my weapon for protection, no doubt, whether I OC or CC!!

I hope I did not seem to twist your words. I thought you were right on message regarding reasons of protection vs. ego.

I also appreciated your additional points which seemed to state that you can also accomplish a few other things while carrying for protection. Things such as educating our citizenry of their rights, entering polite discourse on open carry, reinforcing the idea of a "man with a gun" as being a normal thing, etc. Thanks for "carrying on."

Actually, I was referring to Dodge310. I just wanted it to be known that first and foremost, I use my weapon for protection of myself, my family, and others.

I appreciate all of your kudos. Stay safe!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

kurtmax_0

imported post

At risk of feeding trolls I'll answer truthfully:

I OC because:

1. CC isn't considered a 'right' by the Alabama SC, only OC is (they say that CC is 'offensive' and OC is 'defensive').

2. I don't own any small handguns. Being 20 it's not like I can just walk into a gun shop and pick up a handgun. I am also very picky about handguns and don't like the condition of most handguns from private sales.

3. I don't like small frame handguns. They are hard to shoot straight and are generally just a PITA.

4. OC is more comfortable when carrying a large handgun.

Dahwg

imported post

I'm curious what Lori (i believe that's the model's name) would say? After all she's the subject the OP finds so offensive. I'd be willing to bet my hard-earned money that she has done more to promote 2A rights than he has.

TN_TITANS

imported post

ideator wrote:
I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it. We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.
I think somone with a weak ego is the one who comes up with this idea. I carry a gun for one reason and one reason only, defend myself and people around me if times call for it. Now if I'm the one shot first because I open carry, he better shoot to kill cause I'm going to try with everything I got to not let him harm myself or other innocent bystanders.

TN_TITANS

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Pamiam wrote:
I also wouldn't mind at all not having to practice springing my weapon as a *SURPRISE* on attackers. I'd far prefer they saw it up front and saved both of us the trouble.

Your reference to an "attacker" makes me think of a one-on-one, "deserted street" type of confrontation. However, the thought of a springing weapon "surprise" makes me think of a situation where others might be present.

A bystander might see an additional weapon as an additional threat if it pops up unexpectedly. If they had seen it before, or noticed it was drawn from a visible holster, they might be less likely to challenge you or yell "gun!" as you are trying to sight in on the bad guy.

This is probably a topic which should be under a tactics thread.
Exactly!

HardChrome

imported post

ideator wrote:
Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards.
Then I'd suggest that you find a different forum for you opinions. This forum is for the support of open carry. We all have our opinions as you have yours but this forum is for support, not debate. Of course that's my opinion.

Hcidem

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
...this forum is for support, not debate. Of course that's my opinion.

I agree with you on the purpose of the forum, HardChrome, but I also think allowing ahealthy dose of debate on the forum helps us prepare for the debates we inevitably encounter in public.

It also gives us a chance to open an eye or two to the well-reasoned perspectives we have developed on the forum.

Carry on...

Hcidem

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Is it just me or is there a distinct odor of "drive-by pooper" in the room? Has anyone esle noticed that the OP hasn't been around since he/she started this thread?

Well...yeah. I did notice. He double posted his request under two different threads in fact.

I was just enjoying the discussion this issue has generated on the forum. This is the same type of nonsense I expect to encounter in public, and I prefer to gain experience here rather than while I fumble my wording in a face-to-face situation.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I recommend caution and not depending too much on written rhetoric enhancing spoken argument.

Effective public speaking and public argument takes practice with a critical audience not often found where the First Amendment only bulwarks bathetic opinion.

There is good reason that 'litigator' is a specialty and that HS forensic team elite debaters were sneered at.

Huck

imported post

ideator wrote:
Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that?
Yes, I do doubt that. I OC because it's everyone's right to do so and to deter potential attackers.Ego and pride have nothing to do with it. Andwhat makes you think thatyouknow the prime reasonwhy anyone does anything? You dont, period!

In a sense, the open carry movementis a step backward. Back to when people open carried frequently and other honest people thought nothing of it. Back to when honest people knewthat they had nothing to fear from honest armed citizens. Then, and now, only criminals and crooked politicians have anything to fear from armed honestcitizens. So hell yes, let's step backward!

As for your comment about the young lady displaying "a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego" how about "confidant and unafraid". Do you think we OCers are supposed to scurry around with downcast eyes like we're doing something to be ashamed of? There's nothing shameful about excercising our god given rights! There's plenty to be ashamed of in attempting to deny people those rights and/or telling us that we're wrong to exercise them.

III