• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Choice of caliber, .45 instead of 9mm

eyesopened

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.
Can you link to an article/study on that or is that something you just heard?

Alexcabbie

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.
I believe I learned that by way of reading a column written by the late Jeff Cooper. And If Colonel Cooper did not know what he was talking about, then I don't know who would.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
I believe I learned that by way of reading a column written by the late Jeff Cooper. And If Colonel Cooper did not know what he was talking about, then I don't know who would.
How horrid! I just tried briefly to check on '9 mm kills' by Col. Cooper and discovered that the archive, certainly the one I found, of his 'Commentaries' is hosted in the UK!!!!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It just dawned on mewhy this argument seems pointless.

If projectile size (diameter) is important why are so many trying to acquire .223 and .308 assault style rifles? Shouldn't we be trying to buy Thompson .45's, if bigger is better? Or better yet, how about .50 cal elephant guns, or .54 cal muzzle loaders? I mean, come on! aren't these smaller bore rifles just "pea shooters" compared to the bigger cannons?

:p

eyesopened

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

That amazes me as he is one of the staunchest supporters of the .45ACP... :uhoh:

Quotes from Cooper: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Quotations+from+Chairman+Jeff

August 1975--"The 9mm Parabellum cartridge cannot be considered a reliable fight stopper--with any load. I have three recent cases of multiple torso wounds (four hits, four hits and seven hits) that did not shut the subject down, and each was with a different load."

I carry both caliber handguns but I prefer the .45 personally.

Legba

imported post

Lincoln was killed with a .22, IIRC, andArchduke Ferdinand with a .32, so size is not everything.

-ljp

compmanio365

imported post

I have seen statistics that say .22 has killed more people than any other round. Not 9mm. Doesn't mean those people died right away, probably took them a while. And there is the problem.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Legba wrote:
Lincoln was killed with a .22, IIRC, andArchduke Ferdinand with a .32, so size is not everything.

-ljp

Lincoln was killed with a "Philadelphia Deringer", a single-shot percussion cap and ball pocket pistol that I do believe was at least twice .22 caliber. Or are you talking about Lincoln Rockwell??

Don't know what the Archduke was killed with but I do know that his chauffeur took a wrong turn and just happened to drive right in front of the assassin, Gavrilo Prinzips; who was sulking over the failure of an attempt earlier in the day. Whenever someone says that I have a chump job being a cabbie I like to point out that WW I began as a result of a chauffeur taking a wrong turn. But .32 sounds about right.

And as to Jeff Cooper it is quite right that he disparaged the 9mm; but I believe the comment was made as an observation of the sheer number of rounds fired in actual combat in time of war. And I should have said "pistol caliber". As for me I find the nine to be adequate and for that matter the .380 also. .38 and .357 are dandy too; and when I finally buy that XDm I am craving I will get the .40 version. On the high end I have Maggie Mae, my trusty .44 M629 with the 6 1/2 " barrel; but she's just a showoff/fun to shoot piece that may have utility if I am out hunting wabbits and run into a grouchy bear. I will amend my comment about safely carrying a 1911 cocked and locked to say that if I could retain it with the thumbbreak retaining strap between the hammer and the frame I MIGHT consider it.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Of course this is only part of the story. Terminal energy is nice, but the clock stopper is wound cavity. The frequently mentioned FBI study called Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectivness is also very useful as it tells the rest of the story. As that document is a LEO use only document I want to make it clear that I did not post it on the net, I just linked to it so you could read it for your self.

Since they haven't passed an AWB (assault words ban) and the freedom of speech exists, I believe that it would be perfectly okay for you to "use" that document. But I am no lawyer.

I think that FBI document is one of the best written on terminal performance.

As for my opinion, the differences between most calibers, given adequate penetrationand good aim, is quite marginal.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Of course this is only part of the story. Terminal energy is nice, but the clock stopper is wound cavity. The frequently mentioned FBI study called Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectivness is also very useful as it tells the rest of the story. As that document is a LEO use only document I want to make it clear that I did not post it on the net, I just linked to it so you could read it for your self.

Since they haven't passed an AWB (assault words ban) and the freedom of speech exists, I believe that it would be perfectly okay for you to "use" that document. But I am no lawyer.

I think that FBI document is one of the best written on terminal performance.

As for my opinion, the differences between most calibers, given adequate penetrationand good aim, is quite marginal.

Well yea. But if you are in LE you kind of have to be careful when things are stamped LE USE ONLY. So that is why I qualified that I did not release the document I just used the existing document as a cite.

The reference earlier in the thread to the late Jeff Cooper not withstanding this same FBI research (linked above) states that the .22 caliber has actually killed more people than any other caliber.

As for the Lincoln derringer it was (is) a .44 caliber muzzle loader.

Ferdinand was in fact shot with a .32 caliber.

Regards

AZkopper

imported post

.45acp is far superior to the 9mm in terms of stopping power, IMHO.

I have no scientific data for my opinion, only 14 years of law enforcement observations. I have seen far too many suspects shot with 9mm's, repeatedly (3+ shots), center mass, and not go down. I have yet to see a suspect not go down after a center mass hit with a 45.

Just my observations.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_caliber
The Cavalry had fielded some double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt, and they determined that the .38 caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as those encountered in the Moro Rebellion warriors they were fighting at the time of the Philippine-American war, than the .45 Colt. The current issue rifle at the time, the .30-40 Krag, also had failed to stop Moro warriors;[3] the British had similar issues switching to the .303 British, which resulted in the development of the Dum-dum bullet. This experience, and the Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 led the Army and the Cavalry to decide that a minimum of .45 caliber was required in the replacement handgun.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_caliber
The Cavalry had fielded some double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt, and they determined that the .38 caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as those encountered in the Moro Rebellion warriors they were fighting at the time of the Philippine-American war, than the .45 Colt. The current issue rifle at the time, the .30-40 Krag, also had failed to stop Moro warriors;[3] the British had similar issues switching to the .303 British, which resulted in the development of the Dum-dum bullet. This experience, and the Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 led the Army and the Cavalry to decide that a minimum of .45 caliber was required in the replacement handgun.
Wel HERE is the rest of the story.

FogRider

imported post

Personally I think 9mm vs. .45 pretty much boils down to opinion. Yes, there is a measurable difference in energy between the two, but it's not enough to positively say one is better than the other. They way I look at it, if 9mm was truly that poor of a round it wouldn't exist outside of target guns. The fact that people that rely on their sidearm on a daily basis still use 9mm is good enough for me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote: As for the Lincoln derringer it was (is) a .44 caliber muzzle loader.

My recollection differed as to Ferdinand and my Google-fu tells me he was killed with a FN-Browning M1910, which was, according to my handy-dandy Pistols of the World reference book, manufactured in 7.65mm aka .32 acp and 9mm short aka 9mm Browning aka 9mm Kurz aka .380, and it was indeed a .380 chambered model used by Prinicp to kill the Archduke.

Edited to remove excess quoting

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote: As for the Lincoln derringer it was (is) a .44 caliber muzzle loader.

My recollection differed as to Ferdinand and my Google-fu tells me he was killed with a FN-Browning M1910, which was, according to my handy-dandy Pistols of the World reference book, manufactured in 7.65mm aka .32 acp and 9mm short aka 9mm Browning aka 9mm Kurz aka .380, and it was indeed a .380 chambered model used by Prinicp to kill the Archduke.

Edited to remove excess quoting

Well we will have to go to dueling citations to resolve it.

Mine says 7.65x17mm, or .32 auto
I give up I cannot get the link to post correctly. Replace the" xx " in the link below with a ":"and a "P", and that will complete the link. When I post it correctly the system replace thecolonP with this - :p

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Gavrilo xx rincip.html

"The gun used by Princip was a Browning M 1910 semi-automatic pistol in 7.65×17mm (.32 ACP) caliber. It was recently found and recovered in the home of an Austrian Jesuit family, and is now in display at the Vienna Museum of Military History . The second bullet fired by Princip, killing Ferdinand, is stored as a museum exhibit in the Konopište Castle in the town of Konopište , Czech Republic. "