• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin open carry cookout now in planning stages

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Elysium wrote:
Sun June 21. I will make that work. Do you plan on making any flyers? I could post some here in Wausau. That is Fathers day Btw.

SCHITT!!! Should I kick it back to the 28th instead??

I guess I should have gotten a calender from hallmark so these retail-holidays are listed.

Let me know guys, is fathers day a No-Go for all the dads out there, or is it something you only need to do in the morning and hhave the afternoon and evening to yourselves???

Elysium

imported post

bring the kids and give um a cap gun. Im not a dad so doesn't bother me

Nutczak

imported post

Alright, I am going to see if June 14th or the 28th is available, I feelthe 28th is too closeto July 4th , and many people may be elsewhere and not be able to attend.

Park reservations will cost $200.00 ($100.00 of that is a refundable clean-up deposit)
The menu so far looks likea whole roasted pig, Pulled pork, Smokey baked beans, and Dixie Cole-Slaw.Edit; [Then how about some apple cobbler for dessert (baked right in the wood-fired cooker)] We will be providing all the food, utensils, condiments and everything else needed to eat. I do not know what to do about beverages, Maybe I will invite the high school booster club to sell beverages on-site so they can get some money for the sports teams.

Does $5.00/Person seem to high of a costfor this event? Any monies that may beleft over after the actual cost of the event is covered will be donated to a local charity.
I think our free public gun range (Caywood shooting Range) could use some money for upkeep and clean-up. I am not doing this as a money maker for us, We are doing this to forward our cause and hopefuly benefit a caritable org. that does not use donations foradministration cost's

I am open to all suggestions and comment! Please sound off on your concerns and thoughts about this event.

Any attorneys reading this? Do you foresee any legal issues with this event that I should be aware of?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This looks like a great event shaping up!!

make sure everybody understands the car carry and school carry restrictions in WI.

Consider also askingparticipants to watch the ABC Nightline Video of last years' VCDL picnic at http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5249691- the Utube version is a bit better, go to main page of OpenCarry.org and scroll down to lower right video section

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am hoping to hostthe eventin Torpy Park on Beautiful Lake Minocqua, it is on Hwy 51 just on the northend of downtown Minocqua. I am also researching alternate sites if it is not available. Torpy Park is my first choice though due to it highly visible location.
Minocqua has some interesting variations in it's firearms ordinance:

"Public building means any church, school, store, except stores in which handguns are sold, office, town-owned building, tavern, restaurant or other building in which the public is allowed to congregate. (b)Prohibitions. (1)No person shall enter or remain in any public building located within the town while in possession of any handgun. This prohibition applies to all handguns, including those in cases, holsters, and other enclosures."

The definition of "public building" includes almost any building other than a private residence. Secondly, they wouldn't even allow an encased handgun!

Of course all of it is preempted with the exception of the schools, town-owned buildings and taverns.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dang I liked the 21st or 22nd. I am heading up the 20th through the 25th. Me and my little brother always wilderness camp at Allequash lake. But I guess if I can't make it this time theres always next time. Oh yeah and the 5$ sounds fine!

Ben

Nutczak

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
I am hoping to hostthe eventin Torpy Park on Beautiful Lake Minocqua, it is on Hwy 51 just on the northend of downtown Minocqua. I am also researching alternate sites if it is not available. Torpy Park is my first choice though due to it highly visible location.
Minocqua has some interesting variations in it's firearms ordinance:

"Public building means any church, school, store, except stores in which handguns are sold, office, town-owned building, tavern, restaurant or other building in which the public is allowed to congregate. (b)Prohibitions. (1)No person shall enter or remain in any public building located within the town while in possession of any handgun. This prohibition applies to all handguns, including those in cases, holsters, and other enclosures."

The definition of "public building" includes almost any building other than a private residence. Secondly, they wouldn't even allow an encased handgun!

Of course all of it is preempted with the exception of the schools, town-owned buildings and taverns.

Great points Shotgun,
Now I gotta ask where you found those antiquated ordinances?
I did a search through the online version of the Mnocqua town ordinances yesterday and found nothing like you posted, I even used their search feature with "Handgun" "Firearm" "Weapon" & "Holster" as search words and came up with nothing. The town changed alot of ordinances last spring, so maybe you got ahold of an older version? Can you post a link to your source so I can compare it to what I had found.

When inquiring about park availibility, I said that the event was for a group named "O-C Support" She asked what it was and I said, I do not know, I am just the caterer that is organizing everything. So we'll see if they are nosey enough to google "O-C support" and try to prohibit this event.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The mission here is to have the event, OC, get in the local newspaper, but not have to go thru much hassle, e.g., challenging preempted ordiances etc. That is graduate level work for later.

That photo in the paper will BE a de facto AG opinion.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
We may be splitting hairs of the "TOWNSHIP" and the CITY.
I believe there is no "city" of Minocqua. Despite it's 5000 population it has never incorporated as a city or a village. There is the TOWNSHIP of Minocqua which contains the "city-like" area that we usually think of as "Minocqua."

I found those ordinances here:

http://www.tn.minocqua.wi.gov/

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mike wrote:
The mission here is to have the event, OC, get in the local newspaper, but not have to go thru much hassle, e.g., challenging preempted ordiances etc. That is graduate level work for later.

That photo in the paper will BE a de facto AG opinion.
I don't challenge preempted ordinances as much as I simply ignore them. I do think we ought to spend at least a little time encouraging those municipalities that carry them on the books to remove them because they are invalid and may tend to discourage people from the exercise of their constitutional rights. I do not believe it is appropriate for a governmental unit to discourage people from exercising their rights.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wish I could make it! Sadly I have not been able to finish installing the carpet and windows today. :( So now I have to work on sunday which sucks! Hope ya guys have a good time! take some pictures and post em too! Wish I could be there tomorrow.

Ben

southside

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:phey i like the northwoods.......my girlfriends brother lives in rhinlander..............i could help cook the pig if needed...........now for sure it would be on the 21st of june

southside

Campaign Veteran
imported post

when is the burlington one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i could assist there also..............now that i have registered i will ask the butler pd and see what they say

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

southside wrote:
when is the burlington one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i could assist there also..............now that i have registered i will ask the butler pd and see what they say
Date is dependent upon being able to make the necessary reservations for a spot, but aiming for mid-July.

jjcharris

imported post

Just wanted to drop by and say hello to all of you. Just joined the website tonight. I am looking forward to becoming very active in this whole firearms related end of the spectrum. I have been an avid hunter for 9 years now, and a shooter for much longer than that. I am looking forward to oc'ing as soon as I am legal to do so, november 15th(turn 21). By the way, name is jared andI live in Racine.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

jjcharris wrote:
Just wanted to drop by and say hello to all of you. Just joined the website tonight. I am looking forward to becoming very active in this whole firearms related end of the spectrum. I have been an avid hunter for 9 years now, and a shooter for much longer than that. I am looking forward to oc'ing as soon as I am legal to do so, november 15th(turn 21). By the way, name is jared andI live in Racine.
Jared, if you're at least 18, you're already legal to do so! Welcome!