• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Stores In Virginia

C

ccloud43

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
My other favorite in that area is Tidewater Military Traders (aka Classic Firearms). Mostly C&R type stuff. OC here, too.
Hey Zoom, Where is Tidewater Military Taders?

ODA 226

imported post

Ron Hess is a world-class prick. Absolutely the rudest asshole I've ever met in my life. He thinks that you, as a potential customer, should feel honored that he would give you the time of day. I can't believe that this dickhead is still in business after all these years. He can lick me where I shit... DO NOT GIVE RON HESS YOUR BUSINESS PLEASE!!!!!

paramedic70002

imported post

Ron Hess has killed two robbers however that was several years ago, two different incidents. Guy definitely has a bad attitude but I chalked it up to expecting any stranger to come in shooting. Ex NPD too by the way. I bought a special order knife from him a while back. Was a little gruff with me but not too bad, then again I was in my EMS uniform at the time.

6L6GC

imported post

Hunter's Heaven in Glouster Point is a nice place. Rather laid back. Pretty good selection of reloading supplies. They're easy to talk to and I've never gotten any "gun shop commando" attitudes there. I've started buying all of my reloading supplies there. Good prices. They're just barely over 4 miles from the bridge. Right on the main road. He's not completely out of ammo (yet).

Bulldog1967

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
In NoVA, Virginia Arms in Manassas is one of my favorites. The crew always treats you well, and if you ever, ever have a problem with a gun you bought from them they will take care of it.

Yup,

I drive down there from Alexandria for any firearms related transactions. Period.

Well worth the drive.

Bernie, GotM4 and gang are GTG.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've been satisfied with my experiences with:

Va Gun & Sports Supply (731 J Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News) - say Hi to Jimmy

The Armory - as already mentioned

Dark Sun Surplus - many guns over the years, no problems at all

Bob's was fine too, but I haven't been in there in about 15 years.

No bad experiences that I remember, but I haven't met Ron Hess! :lol:

vrwmiller

imported post

Well...went to the Fredericksburg Gun Show today for the sole purpose of finding and buying a Ruger LCP. There were only 2 vendors selling them...Dark Sun and the other vendor's name escapes me, but his prices were way too high. Dark Sun's price wasn't great, but considering I was having a difficult time finding this pistol locally, I decided to buy it from them (and apparently, so did every other person that was buying something from them). Anyway...I was totally turned off by Dark Sun and will not ever buy another firearm from them again. Here's how it all went down...

After I've scowered every vendor at the show and found only the two, I decide to go to Dark Sun. It was quite a busy day, so the fact that they took their sweet time actually getting to buying customers didn't bother me too much, but once I got someone's attention, I was catered to pretty efficiently.

Anyway, after walking around for a bit, I come back to wait for my background check to come back on my purchase and me and my son are looking around their table at other merchandise and what not. When all of a sudden, I start seeing one of the employees begin handling his firearm behind the table showing people the weapon, etc. Not that big of a deal, really. He seemed to be mostly safe with it. I go about my business and continue looking at the merchandise and I look up and he whips out a *loaded* magazine flops it down on the table and takes his firearm out of his holster and sweeps both me and my son!!!! I immediately grab my son and move on down to the other end of the table.

We're at the end of the table watching him put firearms in holsters on either side of his body and pulling them as if he were practicing a double draw, but treating the firearms as if they were toys. Well, I was so livid at the blatant disregard and lack of respect for people around him that I *almost* requested my identification back so that I could take my business elsewhere. It was at that point when my background check was done and the sale was now in progress. Well, since I had already waited this long for it, I decided I would go ahead and buy the pistol. However, I am vowing never to spend another dollar at Dark Sun. I was extremely disappointed in the behavior of this employee.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with Dark Sun?

mpolo79

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
In NoVA, Virginia Arms in Manassas is one of my favorites. The crew always treats you well, and if you ever, ever have a problem with a gun you bought from them they will take care of it.

Yup,

I drive down there from Alexandria for any firearms related transactions. Period.

Well worth the drive.

I don't agree. They tried to trick me into giving them my Social Security Number. Very not nice.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Well...went to the Fredericksburg Gun Show today for the sole purpose of finding and buying a Ruger LCP. There were only 2 vendors selling them...Dark Sun and the other vendor's name escapes me, but his prices were way too high. Dark Sun's price wasn't great, but considering I was having a difficult time finding this pistol locally, I decided to buy it from them (and apparently, so did every other person that was buying something from them). Anyway...I was totally turned off by Dark Sun and will not ever buy another firearm from them again. Here's how it all went down...

After I've scowered every vendor at the show and found only the two, I decide to go to Dark Sun. It was quite a busy day, so the fact that they took their sweet time actually getting to buying customers didn't bother me too much, but once I got someone's attention, I was catered to pretty efficiently.

Anyway, after walking around for a bit, I come back to wait for my background check to come back on my purchase and me and my son are looking around their table at other merchandise and what not. When all of a sudden, I start seeing one of the employees begin handling his firearm behind the table showing people the weapon, etc. Not that big of a deal, really. He seemed to be mostly safe with it. I go about my business and continue looking at the merchandise and I look up and he whips out a *loaded* magazine flops it down on the table and takes his firearm out of his holster and sweeps both me and my son!!!! I immediately grab my son and move on down to the other end of the table.

We're at the end of the table watching him put firearms in holsters on either side of his body and pulling them as if he were practicing a double draw, but treating the firearms as if they were toys. Well, I was so livid at the blatant disregard and lack of respect for people around him that I *almost* requested my identification back so that I could take my business elsewhere. It was at that point when my background check was done and the sale was now in progress. Well, since I had already waited this long for it, I decided I would go ahead and buy the pistol. However, I am vowing never to spend another dollar at Dark Sun. I was extremely disappointed in the behavior of this employee.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with Dark Sun?
I have never seen them act that way and I've dealt with them a lot. Matter of fact I've seen the owner (blonde haired guy used to have a pony tail) get on people looking at thier guns for sweeping. I have noticed they've had some new help at the last two shows here. Which employee was it??

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Ron Hess is a world-class prick. Absolutely the rudest @#$% I've ever met in my life. He thinks that you, as a potential customer, should feel honored that he would give you the time of day. I can't believe that this dickhead is still in business after all these years. He can lick me where I @#$%... DO NOT GIVE RON HESS YOUR BUSINESS PLEASE!!!!!
LOL why don't you say how you really feel? I bought a Russian SKS a few years ago with no bayo. I called every shop in Tidewater and he was the only shop that had one. (SKS blade bayos are hard to find I found out) I asked how much and he said look buddy I don't give prices over the phone. Hate to say it but I drove over there anyway, fully expecting the price to be outrageous and if it was I was going to tell him what I thought of him. The price was OK, but when I walked in he was berating these two young guys that wanted to look at a gun. Asking for ID first, and when he didn't have a VA license told him he had to show his orders before he would even show him the gun.

vrwmiller

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I have never seen them act that way and I've dealt with them a lot. Matter of fact I've seen the owner (blonde haired guy used to have a pony tail) get on people looking at thier guns for sweeping. I have noticed they've had some new help at the last two shows here. Which employee was it??
This was a blonde haired guy...tattoos up and down his arms. I interpreted his presence there as the owner/co-owner of the shop.

At first, he struck me as a decent gun shop owner. When I first approached the table, he was talking to customers looking at the Ruger LCP w/ laser. Someone commented that his price was better than the other vendor's to which he replied something to the effect of he's basically selling the laser at cost, if you buy the pistol. Someone else mentioned the recall of the earlier LCP's and he made sure it was known that he would not sell that recalled pistol and only the new ones.

Ok...that's great. I was appreciative of what I had seen and heard until I saw him flailing guns around. I did a search on OCDO and, apparently, it's not the first time a Dark Sun employee has swept the crowd or otherwise been rude and impolite to patrons.

hometheaterman

imported post

I do NOT like Woodbrook Spots & Pro shop in Charlottesville, VA.
The first thing I don't like is their prices are high on many things I've seen. Others they are fair. I've had 2 dealings with them. The first was on a 870 that was brand new from there. It was $350 from them which was high but I wanted the wood version and the Super Magnum which was the 3 1/2" version. I couldn't find that combo anywhere else like Dicks or Wal-Mart. It was either the 3" wood version or the 3 1/2" camo version at other places. It wasn't right since I got it. It always has had a problem with some 2 3/4" shells. It will shoot a 2 or 3 times then the pump will lock up and wont come back unless you really put some force on it to get it back. It never did this with the 3" or the 3 1/2" buckshot I used so I just left it. It did however jam pretty often with those two but it was just random stuff like stovepiping, not catching the old shell to pull it out, etc. Stuff like that. Well, I finally had a shell blow up in the chamber. I'm not sure if it was a bad shell or if it was something in the gun like the action not being all the way closed even though it's not supposed to go off if it's not closed. I know it basically exploded the brass on the shell. I felt lucky to still have my fingers as that would have no doubt caused serious damage if the brass had of hit me. I knew it was something wrong when it sounded funny and I felt a flame out of the chamber.

I took it into them and told them it hadn't been right since I've had it explained it had a bad problem about the pump locking up with 2 3/4" shells and then with 3" and 3 1/2" just jammed quite often and now this shell blew up. He said he didn't know either unless the action wasn't all the way closed. It's not supposed to go off without it closed so this would indicate something was wrong with the gun too. Still not sure if it was that or a bad shell. Didn't damage the gun though.

He took it in the back to look at it. Came back a few minutes later and said he didn't see anything wrong but it was a little dirty so he cleaned it. Well, duh a shell just blew up in there. He then said he fired a 3 test rounds( I think it was 3 I'm not sure on the exact number) through it in the back and it didn't jam. I'm assuming not live rounds as it's in the middle of a shoping center but I could be wrong. Anyway, he told me to just go shoot it and see how it did. This bugged me as I was afraid to shoot it as I was afraid a shell would blow up again and that I'd get hurt this time. I finally shot it and it did shoot but it still jammed quite often. As in if you shot off 20 rounds you'd be lucky to have it jam less than 3-4 times with buckshot and you'd be lucky if it jammed less than 7 times or so with Winchester 2 3/4" shot.

Later I finally read online about how sometimes they need to have the chamber polsihed so I had that done elsewhere. It fixed the 2 3/4" jamming issue and I haven't shot enough of the others through it to see if it fixed any of that. Apparently this is a common issue. Shouldn't they have fixed it under warranty and not told me there was nothing they could see wrong? So I ended up having to pay for it myself as it was a little over 2 and a half years old when I found out what was wrong.

They didn't do anything horrible this time but I just think they should have looked more into it or sent it back to Remington or done something other than telling me to go shoot it somemore after a shell had just exploded in it.

The next time I bought a rifle from them and a Leupold VX-I scope. The rifle was used but the scope was new. It wasn't a horrible price on the scope but it wasn't too good either and they worked with me on the price. I'm not sure if money came off the gun or the scope but I got them down to a resonable price. All was well for about 6-8 months then I noticed after shooting it the cross hairs seemed like they were shimmering in the scope. I called them up and they told me to bring it by there. I got there and they told me all they could do was send it into Leupold. Not sure why they didn't tell me that over the phone. Since this was the middle of hunting season it was a big inconvience as I had nothing else to hunt with. I asked them how long it would take and they told me about a week or was it two? They had to ship it there then get it back after Leupold had fixed it. I asked about buying a cheap scope to use while it was gone. I would have liked them to replace the scope and them they deal with getting it replaced or their money back from Leupold however, they didn't do that andI don't really blame them at the same time. The cheap scope they offered me was some Tasco that was like $45 or something around there. I ended up passing on it. I asked them to check on overnight shipping if I paid for it and they quoted me a price.

It ended up being too high so I ended up just going to Wal-Mart and buying a $30 Tasco. I had called Leupold myself in the mean time and they told me the turnaround time was about 2 weeks. Thats why I'm thinknig the shop told me 1 week as Leupold told me twice as long. I figured Leupold probably knew more what they were talking about. After I took the scope off I ended up taking it to Woodbrook to get it sent in.

I dropped it off and he took my name and number. All was well up until this point.

Well, 2 weeks went by and quess what? No scope. I called a few times and never was my scope there finally after a month or so I called and it had just come in the day before or something. I was ticked it took this long. One week of that was Christmas but it should have been back before then anyway. Oh well, I had been using a cheap Tasco so it was ok. I told them I'd send someone by to get it. This is when things went wrong. They told me okay that it would be $10. I said $10 for what? They told me that it was $10 for shipping. I explained to them that I didn't think I should have to pay $10 for two reasons. The first being that during that time no one mentioned to me before I sent it in that I would have to pay anything. They just acted like they would take care of it and never mentioned paying for anything. The second being it took way way way longer to get back than they had told me it would. They told me it wasn't their fault that it took so long to get back. I asked to speak to the owner. I think this was his wife but not sure. He wasn't there or wasn't avalible at the time or something but she said if I wanted she could have him call me back but he would say the same thing that I had to pay it. I told them fine that I would pay the $10 but I'd never buy from them again. That was basically it.

She wouldn't budge on the $10 shipping charge which I still don't think I should have had to pay. However, she was nice the whole time. Would I have bought another gun or scope from them? Probably not however at that point things had just gotten started.

A few minutes later I got a call from the owner which was the one I had dropped the scope off to be sent in. I think the lady is his wife and a owner too but not positive. I just had dealt with him sending it in so wanted to talk to him. I missed his call but called him right back. He told me he heard I was unhappy or something to that effect so I explained to him what had happend and that I'd pay the $10 but that if I had to pay it I'd buy from them again. This is when it went bad. I started hearing cussing about how he hopes I never do buy from him again. There was a fair amount of vulgar language through this from him. This really upset me. He told me that they just offer this a service to the customer and that the customer still had to pay all shipping charges. What kind of shop calls and cusses a customer out? He probably would have made way more than $10 off of me in the future but just eating the shipping charge if they even had to pay that. Instead they wouldn't do that so I left an unhappy customer but they were still nice about it until he called and just made things 100% worse. I probably wouldn't have bought a gun or scope from them again reguardless but after him calling me it just made me want to tell everyone I know about my experience.

Not to mention I'm sure they made way more than $10 off of me in that deal. I told them this and they go I'm not sure how much you think we make off of this but it's not very much.

It would not have been bad if they had told me upfront that I had to pay shipping instead of just acting like they were taking care of it.

It just overall was a bad experience as they never told me of the charges up front and it took way longer than they said although it was a bad time of the year to do it still it was way way longer than they said and I had to pay stuff they didn't tell me about upfront. Then the owner calls to use vulgar language with me.

I thought by buying from them instead of Wal-Mart I might pay more but if I ever had a problem that I'd have service. Well, guess what Wal-Mart has 100x better service than that. Half the time they just exchange what you have right then and there although not sure if they do with scopes or not. Even if they dont guess what. They don't call you cussing at you or cuss at you while you are there. I wish I had honestly just bought the scope from Wal-Mart.

I had to send the Leupold back to Leupold later again that made me not found of Leupold but that wasn't Woodbrooks fault and Leupold sent me a prepaid shipping label the second time. I went to them directly that time.

Sorry for the long post guys. End of rant.

The ones I like are Rockingham Co-Op, Nuckols Gun Works(used to have good prices but they seemed high last time I went in there), I've heard good things about The Gun Shack but never used them, Wal-Mart, Dicks Spoting Goods, Coles Gun Shop in South Boston, VA I used to like okay but they have gone out of bussiness. Their prices were high though.

There are a few others scattered around VA I can't remember the name of that I think are okay too.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

Yup,

Well worth the drive.

I don't agree. They tried to trick me into giving them my Social Security Number. Very not nice.
Huh? :question:

It's optional on both forms (Fed 4473 and Va SP65), I don't know who you worked with or if you misunderstood the VA Arms employee. I've been there 3.5yrs and tell the buyer/transferee that it's 100% optional, it does sometimes help with a quicker approval but not always. I however stopped putting it on my forms and my approvals went from 30min to now 10min. In my case putting the Soc slowed my approvals, I've never been an instant.

In my opinion I find it uncomfortable that it's asks for race especially since I'm multi-racial (white, hispanic and American Indian).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I belong to and shoot at Gilberts, they have a relatively small selection. If I want something, I go to Guns & Ammo Warehouse in Manassas. Sometimes I go looking to spend money if I don't know what I want - or if I just want to go somewhere.

Never been disappointed.

Of course, it didn't hurt that they were able to order my Bersa .45 and get it within a week after others simply couldn't get it.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

gotm4 wrote:
I however stopped putting[my SSN]on my forms and my approvals went from 30min to now 10min. In my case putting the Soc slowed my approvals, I've never been an instant.
Hmmm... I'll have to try that. I've been delayed every time since about 2004 or 5.

gotm4 wrote:

In my opinion I find it uncomfortable that it's asks for race especially since I'm multi-racial (white, hispanic and American Indian).

Try this: Race? No thank you. ;)

Tomahawk

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
mpolo79 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

Yup,

Well worth the drive.

It's optional on both forms (Fed 4473 and Va SP65), I don't know who you worked with or if you misunderstood the VA Arms employee. I've been there 3.5yrs and tell the buyer/transferee that it's 100% optional, it does sometimes help with a quicker approval but not always. I however stopped putting it on my forms and my approvals went from 30min to now 10min. In my case putting the Soc slowed my approvals, I've never been an instant.

Mike Stollenwerk went to some trouble to make sure we do not need to put our SSN's on these forms, the VSP has no business asking for it.

I'm not sure I believe you when you say it sometimes speeds things up, but I'll pass on giving mine, thank you.

noah

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Ron Hess has killed two robbers however that was several years ago, two different incidents. Guy definitely has a bad attitude but I chalked it up to expecting any stranger to come in shooting. Ex NPD too by the way. I bought a special order knife from him a while back. Was a little gruff with me but not too bad, then again I was in my EMS uniform at the time.

I've had a couple bad experiences at Ron Hess. I would not piss on his face if his head was on fire. I would drive to Green top before going to him!!

+1 on the armory. Does anyone know what happened to Scott from there a few years ago. He knew a lot about class 3 stuff and was a good guy to ask questions. Unlike most people at stores.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
gotm4 wrote:
mpolo79 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

Yup,

Well worth the drive.

Mike Stollenwerk went to some trouble to make sure we do not need to put our SSN's on these forms, the VSP has no business asking for it.

I'm not sure I believe you when you say it sometimes speeds things up, but I'll pass on giving mine, thank you.

I've seen it speed up some quite a few times. This where we submitted the info through the computer to the VSP, approved after over an hour. Guy them decides to buy another gun, new paperwork and puts the social and then get approved in 10min. I recommend against people putting it down. IMHO the social should only be used for social security and that's it.
AsI said in my case putting the social makes my personal approval take longer.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Greentop in Richmond has been great. I like the easy access to look at the firearms, and the prices are fair too.