• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Stores In Virginia

C

ccloud43

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
ccloud43 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
My other favorite in that area is Tidewater Military Traders (aka Classic Firearms). Mostly C&R type stuff. OC here, too.
Hey Zoom, Where is Tidewater Military Taders?
Tidewater Military Traders
(Classic Firearms STORE ONLY)
1329 Harpers Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
(757) 425-2827
This is their new address, they moved a few months ago. They are in the back of a small business park. Bring a copy of your C&R if you have one.
I'll go check them out on mon or tues. Thanks

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some years ago, after being warned that Ron Hess was a horse's ass, I went there anyway. Asked him if he had any Swedish Mausers (sweet shooters, and beautifully made rifles, for those who haven't yet had the experience of owning one). He looked at me as if he'd just scraped me off his boot, and snarled something about not carrying "any of that Swedish crap!" and added "what war did they ever win with those rifles anyway?!" I guess I could have countered with the fact that they were prized by the Finns in their war with Russia, during which they spanked the Russians good, but I realized that would go nowhere, so I went somewhere (else). I, too have been amazed that he's been able to stay in business. Unless you have low self esteem and a masochistic mindset, don't go there!

:X

curtiswr

imported post

I checked out Southern Gun World in Richmond today, per ProShooter's recommendation, after a trip to the range. I wasn't looking at guns or anything but I was looking for a holster for my newly aquired GP-100. They didn't have what I wanted but they were very helpful to point me in the direction of various websites that I should look into. Very nice people, clean store too. I didn't take my time in there and browse around much though.

AbNo

imported post

Here, I'll add a couple to the list.

Rockingham Co-Op, Harrisonburg
This place has been good to me. The people are nice, the selection is decent, and the prices are pretty good from what I have seen. My favorite guy there no longer works the sporting goods counter, but the other guy I know down there is still pretty nice.

Knuckol's Gun Works, Staunton
Decent place. The people here are a bit old and grizzled, but they will generally help you out. One guy that works there will try to sell you ANYTHING, and he'll keep on about it. Makes me laugh a bit.

Still, it's a good place, and I like to stop in from time to time.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I checked out Southern Gun World in Richmond today, per ProShooter's recommendation, after a trip to the range. I wasn't looking at guns or anything but I was looking for a holster for my newly aquired GP-100. They didn't have what I wanted but they were very helpful to point me in the direction of various websites that I should look into. Very nice people, clean store too. I didn't take my time in there and browse around much though.

If I knew that you were going, I would have given you a stack of brochures to restock my display there, haha..

Glad you gave them a look. The staff has changed a bit but they are usually helpful and will give you ideas on where to look for things if they dont have it.

Jim

Floyd

imported post

I avoid Loudoun Guns, Inc. in Leesburg. They are overpriced (I understand they need to make a profit, but jeez...), and the staff is very stand-offish. Also, we (my family) had a bad experience with them about many years ago dealing with some of their 'gift certificates' and an employee who didn't register the certificate numbers.

They might be better now, but they burned me as a customer so I won't give them any of my business.

I tell my friends to go to VA Arms or Guns & Ammo in Manassas. It's worth the drive from Leesburg.

ballester

imported post

when i worked at southern in richmond..i always looked forward to seeing my usual customers...it was a highlite of the day...and the best part about them...well if a new customer walked in it was not an issue of breaking of from shooting the breeze to go and help them...shoot a few of my customers actually helped make a sale with there input...one of my favorite things to do was haunt the other gun shops in the area and play dumb customer...and i saw first hand how it felt to be completely ignored because i didnt look like i was gonna drop a grand on something...in doing that i learned how a customer feels...and to not judge people by there looks...

i had a few customers that would spend $2000 everytime they came in on stuff...and i hated dealing with the arrogent a-holes...the holy then thou attitude....i prefered to deal with the folks that asked both good and stupid questions..at least they were willing to learn and truely were grateful for the information..even if they only spent $250 and i never saw them again....

essayons

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Rescue wrot
Now comparing this with an experience I had a week earlier at Green Tops near Ashland, was completely opposite. It was a Friday night, the place was PACKED with people at the counter, and within 10 seconds I was being helped. It took 25 minutes from the time I walked in, had my paperwork and background done, and out the door heading home. The guy helping me was extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

+1 For Green Top in Ashland

Also, Degoff's in Mechanicsville is nice too. Really helpful with me when I was trying to hunt down a 1911 in the Richmond area.
I've had good and bad experiences with Green Top. Usually get great service, and they have a pretty good selection. However they really screwed up mounting some bases to a rifle of mine. They either cross-threaded the screw or torqued it to a ridiculous point. Had to get another smith to remove it, and he ended up having to drill it out. Also their salespersons knowledge is often limited to what they read in manufacturers media releases, and the best gun/product for your needs is always whatever they have in stock. I realize this is part of sales, but I always make it a point to frequent places where I know they will point me in the right direction even if they don't stock what I need.

And a big +1 for DeGoff's. When I was shopping for a Spgfd Champion 1911 a few years ago, nobody had them in stock, so I had Greentop order one for me. Got a call a few days later saying their suppliers couldn't even get the model I wanted. Went to DeGoff's the same day, they said no problem, it would take about 2 weeks. Got call about 5 days later saying I could come pick up my gun, and I got it for well below MSRP + another %10 they were doing for a New Years sale. Been a loyal customer ever since.

POORBOY

imported post

I am going to add nuckols in staunton as well they are good to talk with great selection. Ha and they won't let you leave with anything you are doubting.
I went there yesterday with my dad he wanted a glock 27 I guess a sub compact and he tried iit and left with a model 23 after a long discussion with they employee and a regular customer.
I had to buy something so I got a box of 9mm 147 gr. lol .
We also have B and R grocery in Lyndhurst small selection but easy enuff to deal with. I guess cause I can cut thru the forest and be there in 5 minutes. Those are my two spots.

Spectre

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

If I knew that you were going, I would have given you a stack of brochures to restock my display there, haha..

Glad you gave them a look. The staff has changed a bit but they are usually helpful and will give you ideas on where to look for things if they dont have it.

Jim
Most of us that left the shop didn't leave of our own choice. While I loved working with 99.9% of the customers...a few of my higher-ups left a lot to be desired on how to run a business.

Rey

imported post

As far as gunsmithing goes, John Summer, over at Blue Ridge in Chantilly treated me very fair and seems to really know his stuff. He's got my Ruger SR9 over there right now. But as for range, I haven't found a price to beat The Range in Fredericksburg. Everything's cheap there. =D

hometheaterman

imported post

POORBOY wrote:
I am going to add nuckols in staunton as well they are good to talk with great selection. Ha and they won't let you leave with anything you are doubting.
I went there yesterday with my dad he wanted a glock 27 I guess a sub compact and he tried iit and left with a model 23 after a long discussion with they employee and a regular customer.
I had to buy something so I got a box of 9mm 147 gr. lol .
We also have B and R grocery in Lyndhurst small selection but easy enuff to deal with. I guess cause I can cut thru the forest and be there in 5 minutes. Those are my two spots.
Yup as I said I like Nuckols. To be honest it's probably one of my favorite gun shops I've dealt with.

The only thing I don't like is last time I went in there they had some high prices on some stuff. I mean way over what some others had. Like the Ruger Charger was $289 or something at Rockingham Co Op and was like $349 or $369 or something at Nuckols. This seemed odd to me as in the past they have usually had great prices often around Wal-Marts prices. Some stuff slightly cheaper like Pyrodex pellets and some stuff slightly more. I just found most of the prices pretty good where even if they were more it wasn't enough to bother me since I like them. However, the last time like I said some prices were extremely high. I don't know if this is a one time thing or if they have started raising their prices.

Some ammo like this that I bought all they had which was 2 boxes at a good price. It was backordered for a while but when it came back instock it had gone up a fair amount to slightly more than Dicks Sporting Goods and other stores where it had been $5 cheaper or so a box. I don't think this is fully their fault as I'm sure their price went up to.

Overall I really like this shop and even though it's quite a ways away if I'm in that part of VA I shop with them as it's like I said one of if not my favorite shop I've dealt with.

hometheaterman

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
As far as gunsmithing goes, John Summer, over at Blue Ridge in Chantilly treated me very fair and seems to really know his stuff. He's got my Ruger SR9 over there right now. But as for range, I haven't found a price to beat The Range in Fredericksburg. Everything's cheap there. =D
What's wrong with your SR9? How do you like it btw? I've read nothing but good about them and loved the ones I've seen.

POORBOY

imported post

Ha I hear ya that box of 9mm I bought was 22 bucks for a 20 round box. Good shell and I couldn't find them at dominion outdoors that's a li closer but wow the price. but that's what we r all dealing with I guess.

At least I can depend on them if I need to which I hope I don't need to

hometheaterman

imported post

POORBOY wrote:
Ha I hear ya that box of 9mm I bought was 22 bucks for a 20 round box. Good shell and I couldn't find them at dominion outdoors that's a li closer but wow the price. but that's what we r all dealing with I guess.

At least I can depend on them if I need to which I hope I don't need to
What kind of 9mm ammo did you buy? Did they have any Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P when you were in there?

POORBOY

imported post

I picked up a box of Federal Personal Defence 147 grain hydra shok.

Didn't see the speer gold. But honestly I didn't look for it he had a ton so he's prob got it I justt didn't see it

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have to add that I've gotten an off-putting experience at VA Arms in Manassas too. The employee's attitude was condescending and unprofessional, to say the least. I must add that another employee on a different day was extremely helpful and went out of his way to go above and beyond. However, I've always gotten professional, courteous service at Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas.

Like all businesses, gun stores have employees whose personal attitudes and idiosyncrasies show through in their dealings with the public. Sometimes you just get poor service.

hometheaterman

imported post

POORBOY wrote:
I picked up a box of Federal Personal Defence 147 grain hydra shok.

Didn't see the speer gold. But honestly I didn't look for it he had a ton so he's prob got it I justt didn't see it
Last time or two I was in there they were sold out but I didn't know if he had anymore in or not. Your right they do have a fair amount of ammo.