• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Militias

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There's a war on drugs out there! Can you form a unit and petition the Governor for a commission to defend us against those heathen Canadians?

No. We now have a standing army, thank you. Go back to your pen, sheep - we'll call when we need you.

Are there morons in militias? 'Suppose so. Are some lead by morons? Most probably.

Are some people with a sense of history and honor also drawn to the concept. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

We OCers might train for weapons retention, maybe even engaging multiple targets in low light.
Do you think that will serve us well against a professionalized military force if we ever feel the need to exercise our 2A rights for what they were intended for?

You better stock up on enough tinfoil to stop stuff considerably more dire than alien thought waves.

just_a_car

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
No. We now have a standing army, thank you. Go back to your pen, sheep - we'll call when we need you.
Did you just call sv_libertarian a sheep?... Seriously?

Dude, take some time to think before you hit the "Send" button.

cynicist

imported post

I did a bit of research on WA state militias a while back, couldn't find anything current in my area. I know there is one in the Seattle area, one of my roommates worked with a guy in it. It was the "you really need to read the Turner Diaries" kind of militia, so I made it a point to not hang around.
I think the Yakima County Militia may still exist, but they're kind of out there on the nutcase fringe too. The Washington State Militia pretty much died after some explosive related troubles.
I wouldn't mind seeing a resurgence of the Militias, it's just the assholes that join up kind of ruin it for the rest of us.
I've considered forming a small one in my area, but I can't afford the weaponry. Right now I'm actually saving for a Mosin Nagant.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Did you just call sv_libertarian a sheep?... Seriously?

Dude, take some time to think before you hit the "Send" button.

Jim675 wrote
:
"Can you form a unit and petition the Governor for a commission to defend us against those heathen Canadians?

No. We now have a standing army, thank you. Go back to your pen, sheep - we'll call when we need you."

"Go back to your pen, sheep" = The "government" addressing a figurative "militia" (sheep).

Considering sv_libertarian's apparent disdain for any militia, how did you come to the (erroneous) conclusion that sv_libertarian (not a figurative militia) was the target of that statement? Was it perhaps because you did not follow your own advise?

;)

just_a_car

imported post

There's a reason I posed it as a question... I wasn't sure he did, but it sure looked like he called him that.

Jim was going back and forth with SV on the previous page and then I see that... it's pretty easy to infer he meant SV, since he doesn't specify who he's talking about when he says "sheep", but it's fairly well-recognized as a term for those that aren't willing to protect themselves or see reality for what it is... with the back-and-forth going on, I had assumed it was directed at SV who had been saying there were no militias anymore in the post previous to Jim's.

If he didn't intend for it to call SV a sheep, then I'll be happy to apologize for making that assumption, but it was merely born from a miscommunication; text as a medium has a terrible fondness of twisting things and making it hard to gauge intent and inflection.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I have in the past had job related contact with "Militia" types. They are like unions... the original intent is good but they often times turn into a self serving group that borders on criminal activity.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can accept that. I think that's a shame though.

We on OCDO jealously guard our rights and there's talk of resisting governmental tyranny to the end.

But anyone who would actually take steps to prepare for such defense is marginalized and labeled with dismissive epitaphs.
Passion, towards concepts this country was founded on, is looked on askance today.
Jefferson would be booed or jailed.

ETA: Not that you're likely to have met Jefferson in your contacts with militias. Just that he would be unlikely to want to be associated with the stigma of such an organization today.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

To me, the Militia, the true Militia is a group of patriots who are prepared to defend their neighbors and families from Tyranny. We are regular folks who have read the Turner Diaries and thought "Well that's just Coo Koo!" We are your everyday “Joe Six-pack” who thinks talk of the New World Order is just a bit nuts, but that there is something to the overreaching tentacles of the UN and the semi-Tyrannical nature of the Federal Government. But when we read the letters between James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, we feel a sense of pride and patriotism for our founders that is renewed time and time again from the intelligence that these men demonstrated through their prolific writing.

I want to know men and women who hold that it is the US Constitution that is of utmost importance, and not their party. It is love and respect forour Liberty and Freedom that makes us true patriots.

Stop with the hyperbole! Stop with the innuendo! (this is only directed at those who are actually using those methods).

The Militia in Washington State is you who support our Constitution. The Militia is every gun owning Washingtonian who values Liberty and Freedom over convenience. The Militia is every one of you who are standing up for the rights of all gun owners by exercising your right to bear arms.

Now, if we train in some paint ball sports on the weekend, and we practice with our weapons, in a safe, organized manner, all the better. The Militia is proud of who we are, but we are not a standing army, we are ordinary citizens willing to take up arms in extra ordinary circumstances to protect our Liberty.

Does anyone else feel that way about what is the Washington State Militia? We ought to have pot lucks. We ought to get to know each other and discuss in civil terms, our Founding Documents and the intent of our Founders for this nation. We need to know each other in person and not just on line. If anyone is up for it, I am willing to begin regular meetings for discussions, dinners etc.

G27

imported post

If a need for a militia should rise, I feel we would have no trouble gathering one together. I think a lot of you underestimate your fellow Americans. When push comes to shove, a good majority don't like to be shoved.. especially the ones with guns.

Triple Tap

imported post

G27 wrote:
If a need for a militia should rise, I feel we would have no trouble gathering one together. I think a lot of you underestimate your fellow Americans. When push comes to shove, a good majority don't like to be shoved.. especially the ones with guns.
So the question above is.... what WILL be the push that becomes the shove? How close to gun grabbing would it have to come to active my fellow Americans?

I think complete civil unrest, curfew, extreme civil pressure. By that time, there is no time for training, being prepared is no longer an option. Face it, it would take most of us a full year to gain the skills needed. So I don't think the OP is that far off in what he wants to do, but where to go is was the original question.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

I think that this is something that those who want to responsibly exercise their right to OC and to bear arms should discuss.

I believe that it will come down to people like us, being well organized, and being able to keep the nuts from hijacking the idea of the militia.

Do any of you do tactical training? What I mean is; is there any place for playing war games with paint ball? I'm sure most of you who own weapons use the firing range for target practice, but tactical training is also important.

I agree that becoming a part of a citizen militia is a very important responsibility that more of us need to take. We need to be vigilant just in case the SHTF.

If we're out there when it happens as individuals, we'll all lose.

sirpuma

imported post

FYI, the militias that fought for the birth of our country were considered criminals by the Crown, just as the modern militias are considered criminals by the Feds. The government loves to make it illegal for people to form an armed body of men. They make all kinds of claims about public safety and such, but it's really only to protect their filthy hides.

Clearly the only "research" some people here have done is to listen to the media and the government. When was the last time you actually joined one? My guess is never. Yes, there are some real kooky people out there, but then again, look at how the media and main political parties treated Ron Paul and his supporters.

Unless you've BTDT with any REAL militia, I don't think you have room to talk trash about them.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Typical responses, and typical sentiment that the "real" militia will save us all, meanwhile with no proof, or no indication of where these "real" militias are. Pipe dreams. Wannabe's and their pipe dreams. Typical divide and conquer too. Either one is in agreement with the "militia" or one is a traitor, sheep, or government stoolie. Thus the prophecies are self fulfilling. Meanwhile no cobbled together group nutters in surplus BDUs has managed to actually perform any sort of useful and beneficial task in this state. Where was the "Washington Militia" when Lewis County got flooded out and became a disaster area? Where was the "militia" when any other disaster went down?

Where is the "militia" when it comes to preventing the drug smuggling and human trafficking over the Canadian border? Aiding local law enforcement during times of internal riot? Where is the "militia" fulfilling any of the duties of a militia (other than running around in cammies congratulating each other on being true patriots who will stand strong when the conspiracy flavor of the week goes down?)

I'll tell ya. They weren't where they were needed.

In the last two years there have been two declared disasters, and one massive case of civil unrest in or around Thurston County. Flooding, wind storms, near riots, etc... But the "militia" was nowhere to be found... but now that it is fashionable amongst some circles to mutter about conspiracies and whatnot, NOW "militia" interest is cropping up all over the place.

Cowards. Weak willed, empty headed fascist cowards. Self serving bufoons who exist only to pat themselves on the back for recognizing the "perils" we as a nation face, and deriding anyone who does not join them as sheep.

Well go crawl back to your ******* trailer parks and foil lined bunkers.

In the last two I've seen the National Guard called out twice, I've seen every avaialble law enforcement officer in a three city area here called out for emergency duty, I've seen several disasters declared, and I've never once seen the ******* "militia" except on internet message boards.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The police and the nat'l guard are the answer to our ills.

Armed civilians who chose to make an effort to prepare for armed conflict are:

"Wannabe's and their pipe dreams"
"cobbled together group nutters in surplus BDUs"
"running around in cammies"
"Cowards"
"Weak willed, empty headed fascist cowards"
"Self serving bufoons"
"crawl back to your @#$%ing trailer parks and foil lined bunkers"
"@#$%ing "militia""

Wow.

That's a mighty broad brush-load of bad juju you're smearing across a lot of folks.

Some of whom may well have volunteered for the very disasters you list. Some may be those officers and guardsmen you hold in such esteem. I guess for me its not quite as easy to draw such a hard dividing line between decency and a group that large and diverse. I suspect there may, on occasion, be a bit of overlap.

Hammer

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Typical responses, and typical sentiment that the "real" militia will save us all, meanwhile with no proof, or no indication of where these "real" militias are. Pipe dreams. Wannabe's and their pipe dreams. Typical divide and conquer too. Either one is in agreement with the "militia" or one is a traitor, sheep, or government stoolie. Thus the prophecies are self fulfilling. Meanwhile no cobbled together group nutters in surplus BDUs has managed to actually perform any sort of useful and beneficial task in this state. Where was the "Washington Militia" when Lewis County got flooded out and became a disaster area? Where was the "militia" when any other disaster went down?

Where is the "militia" when it comes to preventing the drug smuggling and human trafficking over the Canadian border? Aiding local law enforcement during times of internal riot? Where is the "militia" fulfilling any of the duties of a militia (other than running around in cammies congratulating each other on being true patriots who will stand strong when the conspiracy flavor of the week goes down?)

I'll tell ya. They weren't where they were needed.

In the last two years there have been two declared disasters, and one massive case of civil unrest in or around Thurston County. Flooding, wind storms, near riots, etc... But the "militia" was nowhere to be found... but now that it is fashionable amongst some circles to mutter about conspiracies and whatnot, NOW "militia" interest is cropping up all over the place.

Cowards. Weak willed, empty headed fascist cowards. Self serving bufoons who exist only to pat themselves on the back for recognizing the "perils" we as a nation face, and deriding anyone who does not join them as sheep.

Well go crawl back to your @#$%ing trailer parks and foil lined bunkers.

In the last two I've seen the National Guard called out twice, I've seen every avaialble law enforcement officer in a three city area here called out for emergency duty, I've seen several disasters declared, and I've never once seen the @#$%ing "militia" except on internet message boards.
So it's safe to say the militia are not marching up and down in front of your place, or around the capitol? :lol::lol::lol:
What a surprise!
If the government fears arms in the hands of citizens, how much more do they fear citizens banded together, armed, and titling themselves "militia"
If they are only believed to exist by sight, how many things shouldn't be believed to exist because they are not seen?

sirpuma

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
In the last two I've seen the National Guard called out twice, I've seen every avaialble law enforcement officer in a three city area here called out for emergency duty, I've seen several disasters declared, and I've never once seen the @#$%ing "militia" except on internet message boards.
First you had best stop your hateful and insulting rhetoric right now, you're not winning anyone over.

Second, because the state has made any militia illegal you won't see them marching around in uniform. Heck, most don't even wear BDU's, but you wouldn't know that. While state owned organizations were ORDERED to help out, there were thousands of VOLUNTEERS that chose to help out.

Your reaction is typical of those who blindly listen to the government and media.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Anyone who really thinks a militia will over throw our government are fools. The government won't make a huge nationwide change over night it will be very slow and if you wanted to overthrow our government you would not have the support needed from the majority of citizens. Do you really think that militia training will help you against the like of the USMC. The point SV makes is valid a militia should be established to serve state and people instead they are just people who think that when the time comes they will overthrow the government or at best like to play soldier. If you want good military training join the Marines or there are other private companies that offer such training.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Anyone who really thinks a militia will over throw our government are fools. The government won't make a huge nationwide change over night it will be very slow and if you wanted to overthrow our government you would not have the support needed from the majority of citizens. Do you really think that militia training will help you against the like of the USMC. The point SV makes is valid a militia should be established to serve state and people instead they are just people who think that when the time comes they will overthrow the government or at best like to play soldier. If you want good military training join the Marines or there are other private companies that offer such training.
I don't think anyone has claimed that militias can, would, or should overthrow the US. Or that they would even survive the creeping governmental constriction you describe.

But for folks who did not benefit from government training it is a path to pick up some percentage of those skills so that the surviving remnants would be slightly better equipped to regroup and resist.

Did you note colt45ws's link to the all-volunteer militia above? It sounds like they perform the very services you requested.

Also of course, military experience is hardly rare, a great many of us have had that honor. It would seem logical to conclude that a similar percentage of militia members do as well.

I'm not saying militias are the answer to all social ills, just that perhaps there are organizations and members who are decent, sane, productive members of society with a desire to resist tyranny and the gumption to try to prepare. For those in that category, my hat's off to them.

Basically I guess I could have just said long ago that law-abiding people harming no one but themselves may do whatever they like for entertainment as far as I'm concerned.