• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Militias

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state." - Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, that's a good one.

I think the message I want to get across is that if we do not have any kind of way of organizing in case of a Katrina or something else, we'll be isolated and picked off one by one. An army of one is easily defeated. I don't want to assemble an active army ready to attack, I believe we need to be aware of everyone around us who would be an ally in case of WROL (without rule of law). Of course, I have let the police department in my area know who I am, what I have in terms of weapons and that in the case of some real nasty emergency, that I would be ready and willing to help. To make this something that would be easier for them to accept, I've suggested we have a police/civilian target practice event two to four times a year so that gun owners and police can talk together, and practice lawful and responsible gun safety and tactics in terms of shooting. It would be a way of breaking the ice with the local law enforcement.

When I was in my 20s, this was something me and my friends did with our local sheriffs office. Almost all of them took us up on the offer and we made a lunch/shooting afternoon out of it. It was a good mixer and made the police much more comfortable with all of us as they got to know who we were and we got to know who they were.

This is a militia activity in my opinion. Neighbors getting together and understanding we all have a role as responsible gun owners to protect the 2nd Amendment by being good stewards.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
SNIP When I was in my 20s, this was something me and my friends did with our local sheriffs office. Almost all of them took us up on the offer and we made a lunch/shooting afternoon out of it. It was a good mixer and made the police much more comfortable with all of us as they got to know who we were and we got to know who they were.

Not a bad idea. Especially in rural counties.

We do something a little like that here in Fairfax County (suburban).

We have a picnic. The PD sends helicopters and cops with riot or ballistic shields. :D

They did mix a little after they realized we weren't the local AlQueda cell having a mosque picnic.:)