• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters.

scorpioajr

imported post

fullauto223cal wrote:
The last holster you will ever need.... Blackhawk Serpa! Natural draw and secure retention. Anything else is not enough.
I agree. Blackhawk SERPA is a stellar retention holster. I love it, my wife loves it, my buds love it.If you like SERPAs, you'll love the Israeli knock-offs they have for sale on Ebay!

Doesn't expose or print when i'm wearing a button down, doesn't get in the way when i'm sitting.

They are about $10 cheaper, function the same AND has a spare magazine well attached to it that LOOKS bulky, but let me tell you: Its my new favorite holster! Its so dang snug and holds the gun closer to my body than the SERPA ever did.
They also come without the spare mag holder, i think those models are only $16, i think.

Oh, and just to stay on-topic: I too have placed a bit of non-abrasive material in my holster(s) to avoid extreme wear.

bmeldrum

imported post

Okay so quick story: last nightmy family & I went to the Cal-ranch over in American Forkto look for a latch. As they were looking around I made my way to the gun counter (OC the whole time). As I approached the counter there was adisplay fastened to the counter with a toy glock inside a holster. Well I had no idea & went up and tried to take it out and it would not come out. The sales man just laughed andsaid he gets that all the time. I must have looked like a fool, I'm all pulling and cussing & it wouldn't come out! :banghead:Come to find out it was a display of the serpa!

So we had a nice chat about it, I even took out myXD and tried it and to be honest I fell in love. I'm still not a fan of the carbon fiber/polymertype (I could get use to it) but I do love the retention, the locking mechanism, how snug and close to the body it is, how easy it is to draw (once you know how to do it!). SoI'll be asking for a serpa for my anniversary or as a christmas gift (don't know if i can wait that long though). I figure forOC it is the perfect holster.

I'm still looking for a good IWB holster for those times when I want to conceal/deep conceal but not sure if that works with an XD-.40. The IWB holsters I've triedjust seem to big and bulky for inside the pants, plus the XD is big already, its like I have to buy bigger sized pants to accommodate the gun & holster. Any tips/suggestions/brands for IWB holster?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Go with Serpa Holster if you liked it that Much then you will love it even more when you take it home.

The blackhawk web belt is 9.95 at Skaggs very simple web belt with a metal end very in expensive set up and does very well with the Serpa Holster

bmeldrum

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Go with Serpa Holster if you liked it that Much then you will love it even more when you take it home.

The blackhawk web belt is 9.95 at Skaggs very simple web belt with a metal end very in expensive set up and does very well with the Serpa Holster
I love Skagss! I was just up there this weekend (I kept the firearm in my truck). I buy all my paramedic pants there... (I've never oc'd at Skaggs before, what's the reaction: positive/negative?)

Bustelo5%

imported post

any ideas for a hipoint 45 this thing rides 2 inches off my body im not a big fan at all of this holster its a uncle mikes ambidexterious size 15,i dont care if its a desert eagle or a hipoint there is no way in hell someone should make a holster where the gun is 2 inches off of someone body.

Francis Marion

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
any ideas for a hipoint 45 this thing rides 2 inches off my body im not a big fan at all of this holster its a uncle mikes ambidexterious size 15,i dont care if its a desert eagle or a hipoint there is no way in hell someone should make a holster where the gun is 2 inches off of someone body.
That's exactly why I hate Safariland holsters.

If Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa for it you can always make a custom leather holster. Another of our local UT sites has a talented guy that created a tutorial that really simplifies holster making. When shaped properly, they retain better than Fobus even without a thumb break.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4135&p=44781#p44781

Bustelo5%

imported post

Your in Bagdad,if your a service member thank you I apperciate it since that means I dont have to go out there because of some draft. And thank you to anyone else who is serving or has served.

Now your refering as Serpa as a composet made holster most comonly used with xds and glocks right?
People have talked about the Fobus but I am still unsur of that holster to it just seems that this 35oz of dead weight is more of a pain in the arse than anything

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
People have talked about the Fobus but I am still unsur of that holster to it just seems that this 35oz of dead weight is more of a pain in the arse than anything
I have heard that for every day carry, the Fobus is junk. The Hi-Point .45 is a good truck gun, but if you plan to carry it, Galco makes apaddle holster for it. (CLICK HERE!)

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well if im gonna go that route id rather get a cannon I can shoulder mount lol try Ocing that thing its just like a h i point 45.
I just went back to the shop where I bought my gun and holster and I got a uncle mikes law enforcement pancake holster this thing is pretty good and handle the weight really well.
I think I might eventually get that galco.
Thanks for the replies

woodsman

imported post

Being left handed and picky I ended up making my own holster. I also have made

holsters for about a dozen of my friends. My black alligator holster and matching

double mag holder is a great accessory to my Kimber CDP II.

1NotParanoid

imported post

I have A XD compact 45 ACP and I hate the belt holster that come with the gun. I am going to be getting A Blackhawk Serpa Monday or Tuesday. If you are wanting A IWB holster I would say go with A Smart Carry. My Dad has gone out with the Smart Carry A few times and carries A 4 inch autoloader or revolver in it with no problems.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate You will not be disappointed with the Blackhawk! SERPA.

(...and I won't be disappointed if you stop capitalizing your a's :p)

bmeldrum

imported post

So this weekend I went out and finally purchased a Serpa. It is the serpa sportster. It was on sale at Cabela's. I wore it the entire weekend and I loved it, love how it stays put, when I'm running/playing with the kids I'm not worried of it falling off/out.

The only problem I have with it or noticed was while sitting in the car. It's right handed so it gets uncomfortable & in the way of the seat belt when I'm in the drivers seat. Any tips? Should I take it off/on every time I enter and exit the vehicle or is there something I should be doing? I have it positioned so it's practically straight up and down and as low as it can: (I tried the different positions & this just seemed more natural/comfortable for drawing) perhaps if I'm in the vehicle alot like I am maybe I need to adjust the angle or something...

sirged

imported post

I have an XDM 40 also and I have to say I OC with the holster that came with it every day for about a month now and I love it. You can tighten the holster a bit with the wrench that came with it and I run up and down stairs each day and have no problem with it moving about. Is there no serpa that fits the XDM though? I wouldn't mind getting a new OC holster. For CC I have the crossbreed supertuck and wow I am not a big guy (5'11'' 180 LBS) and I can hide my XDM 40 at the 5 O' Clock Position and only get a little print when I sit down. Then again I rarely CC though. OC for me always, and its been nice because I've only been OCing for about a little over a month day to day and have yet to get more than a sideways glance. Next purchase though will be the S&W Airlight 38 +P for my wife as she cant rack the slide on the bersa I owned, and much less on my XDM.

bmeldrum

imported post

sirged wrote:
I have an XDM 40 also and I have to say I OC with the holster that came with it every day for about a month now and I love it. You can tighten the holster a bit with the wrench that came with it and I run up and down stairs each day and have no problem with it moving about. Is there no serpa that fits the XDM though? I wouldn't mind getting a new OC holster.

the serpa's are model specific so yes there is one specifically for the XD or any gun for that matter.

I personnally did not like the holster that came with it, the wrench system just didn't cut it: it seemed to scrape the sides as I drew the pistol & I didn't like having to loop my belt through it... I wanted a holster I could just slide on & off of my belt (I have to take it off at my work, put it back on when I'm done etc) just a pain to loop it. Love the serpa it's just a little uncomfortable in the car?!

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm

sirged

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
sirged wrote:
I have an XDM 40 also and I have to say I OC with the holster that came with it every day for about a month now and I love it. You can tighten the holster a bit with the wrench that came with it and I run up and down stairs each day and have no problem with it moving about. Is there no serpa that fits the XDM though? I wouldn't mind getting a new OC holster.

the serpa's are model specific so yes there is one specifically for the XD or any gun for that matter.

I personnally did not like the holster that came with it, the wrench system just didn't cut it: it seemed to scrape the sides as I drew the pistol & I didn't like having to loop my belt through it... I wanted a holster I could just slide on & off of my belt (I have to take it off at my work, put it back on when I'm done etc) just a pain to loop it. Love the serpa it's just a little uncomfortable in the car?!

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm
The holster my XDM came with is not a belt loop its one I just clip onto my pants, I have the same problem I have to leave it in my car when I enter work (secure premises) and the Serpa does not have an XDM (on their site) and Ive heard the XD one doesnt fit the XDM. If anyone knows for sure let me know.

bmeldrum

imported post

so here it is my Serpa sportster!!

Any tips for riding in the car with it? It's just uncomfortable on the hip between the seatbelt and console...