• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters.

scorpioajr

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
so here it is my Serpa sportster!!

Any tips for riding in the car with it? It's just uncomfortable on the hip between the seatbelt and console...
Good lookin' holster! :)
There should be three screws that you can pull out to adjust the Cant/Angle your SERPA holds the gun. I like to set it to the second farthest forward setting for maximum draw, carry and sitting/car carry comfort.

Good luck

woodsman

imported post

I make my own holsters that are tight and comfortable. As far as fixing your finish

Dave at Southridge arms.com will do an excellent job. Check out his website.

mqondo

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
so here it is my Serpa sportster!!

Any tips for riding in the car with it? It's just uncomfortable on the hip between the seatbelt and console...
I have had the same problem with sitting in the car. I bought another one, and I'm going to try to find a way I can mount in under the dash, or somewhere that I can access it easily. I don't like having my Serpa canted forward. Personally I can draw faster and easier when it's sitting straight up. You could always keep the gun in your center console (if you have one) while you are riding in the car so you don't have to mess with your seat belt to take it out if someone comes up on you.....

mqondo

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
buy the female and male quick disconect
http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhawk-serpa-disconnect-kit.html
You you have to do it mount it any where in your car and your good to go.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that. I found it for a bit cheaper on OpticsPlanet. http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-serpa-quick-disconnect-kit-430950bk.html
After shipping cost lapolicegear had it for $38.98 and opticsplanet was $36.69. I'll report, if I remember, if I like it, and how it works for my application.

THX--
I would imagine that it would push the holster out just a bit farther, maybe not much. But I doubt it would do anything to affect retention. I'll let you know.

mqondo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Thanks, as long as it doesn't negatively affect retention, I will end up buying a few of those.
Sooooooo. I was delivered a set of the Blackhawk Quick Connects. I put them on the holster that I have. There is a pretty big difference between the regular Serpa, and the one with the Disconnect on it. The Disconnect is 3/4 of an inch wide, so your gun will sit that much farther out. Plus, with my regular Serpa, my gun sits close, and the butt of the gun seems to hug my body. With the Disconnect installed, it puts the gun pretty far out, and the butt of the gun seems to fall away from my body, making it stick out that much farther. So that's a bad thing. Luckily that's not what I bought it for. However, with regards to retention, it doesn't seem to hurt it a bit. There are 2 levers that need to be pulled before the holster can be twisted and removed. Here is a pic of the Serpa with and without the Disconnect.
quickD.jpg

Bustelo5%

imported post

Damn that is intense,I didnt know there was so much beef with the quick disconnect. Now the quick disconnect you have,can you use it in between a molle rig, your duty belt and say a mount in your house or car right?
This is what connects all of them right? the quick disconnect w/ male and female adapters?

mqondo

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Damn that is intense,I didnt know there was so much beef with the quick disconnect. Now the quick disconnect you have,can you use it in between a molle rig, your duty belt and say a mount in your house or car right?
This is what connects all of them right? the quick disconnect w/ male and female adapters?
Yes, you can use it for pretty much anything. The kit comes with 2 female pieces that you can attatch to whatever, a car, your duty belt, a paddle from a holster, your tactical vest etc. It also comes with 1 male piece that attaches to the holster itself. So you can put the female pieces wherever, and your holster can be easily moved between them. You can also buy more female pieces, if you want them, or more male pieces for other holsters. Here are a few pics of what I did with mine:

quickD1.jpg

quickD2.jpg

quickD3.jpg

I don't like to have the pistol on my side when I drive because it digs into my hip. Also if I needed to pull it out quickly, I would be hosed because it is under my seatbelt. So I wanted to put it somewhere in my truck. It would have taken forever, and a whole lot of swearing, to put it under the dash, and it wouldn't fit anywhere else. The door was the best option. It is actually pretty easy to get to while I'm sitting in the drivers seat, and the holster is very secure. It also comes off easily when I need it to by pulling the top and bottom levers, and giving it a little counter-clockwise twist.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Ahh ok now that I see how it works it makes alot more sense that must be a pain in the ass for sure.but super convient in many ways. How did you securure it to the side of the car?

mqondo

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Ahh ok now that I see how it works it makes alot more sense that must be a pain in the ass for sure.but super convient in many ways. How did you securure it to the side of the car?
It comes with a couple sizes of screws. The original screws that come with the holster fix the male part of the quick disconnect to the holster. Then I drilled a few holes into the door pocket. The provided screws have female a piece that I put in the holes on the backside of the door pocket, then screwed the female piece of the quick disconnect to those. Pretty easy.