• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convincing the parents

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Ok this might as well be a thread. It's no secret that I have been OCing around Hampton Roads lately and have not told my parents. They in fact told me NOT to OC. So next week when I get home from college I plan to ovewhelm them with statistics and evidence and why I should carry. Tonight on my way home from Bass Pro I went to the McDonalds down the street for some sweet tea. Well a block down from it about 10 NPD cars were surrounding an area with crime scene tape all around it. Since I was supposed to call my mom back anyways I called her and informed her that with a crime/murder so close to my apartment, that I was scared for my safety and wanted to OC. I also told her that I am 20 and VERY responsible which they know. I told her that it is my right as a Virginian to carry a firearm and that it was basically the same as her carrying her purse around. She comes back at me saying that her purse can't kill someone. I argued a little more with her just stating facts about the police and recorders and relating to others. I also told her that I would provide her more info when I got home, but that I am very passionate about this and that it is not like I am asking to do something illegal like drugs you know? I am so frustrated with them not wanting me to OC. Right now I am gathering up things to say/show to them. I am also contemplating having them come out to an OC dinner with me in NOVA, but I am unsure if that will help my cause. Any help would be great from you guys such as the pros/cons of OCing and documents/things that would help me convince them to let me OC. I hate sneaking behind their backs and would like to be straight with them about it just as I have been with everything else in my life. The reason I do it now even though they have told me not to is that I am at college away from them and I feel like my life is more important than what they will say/do to me if they found out that I carried.

Thanks for the input guys,
Alex

Also I got a new holster tonight to OC with. I love my Serpa, but saw this and decided to give it a go. It is the Bianchi Carrylok so it has retention just like a Serpa, but in a leather platform that I feel is more comfortable to wear. Also makes it easy for me to CC in my house or on my property.:)
holster1.jpg

holster2.jpg

Edit: I just realized how long that post was.:shock: I am sorry guys I am stressing about this right now.:p

Your life is far more important to you than anything anyone else may think, say, or do to or about you for OC'ing. So much so that's not even a consideration.

With that said, if you are living under their roof and at their pleasure (cost), while in their presence and on their property, you really should refrain from OC'ing. Away from them, it becomes your decision simply because what you're doing is not an illegal act and is, in fact, a right.

You say your mom said, "that her purse can't kill someone". Would she rather you be killed than for you to have the means to protect yourself and possibly kill an assailant? Confront her with that one.

You are walking on eggs with this one, so good luck to you.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I actuallly do mean this in a nice way - you have been a legal adult for 2 years now. Tell your parents that you'll do as you damn well please when you are out in public.
Yep, when you're in their house you obey their rules, simple enough. Cut the cord. When you're on your own, you're on your own..... I still follow this rule when visiting with my parents, and I'm 49. They don't like guns and at first wouldn't allow it in their house. But after getting used to it, I guess, now they don't care if I bring it inside - and wear it inside.....

I did get them to let me bring it inside in the beginning because I told them I didn't want anyone breaking into my truck at night and stealing it... :^). But they said I had to unload and disassemble. But now, they're cool.

They might be as uneasy with the idea of the baby growing up as much as you might be :^). Carrying a gun is a BIG responsibility that can save or destroy your life in a hurry. Just look at the VCU student who recently got charged with 2cd degree murder for improperly shooting a robber..... His life is over. Talk with them, be calm, not defensive.

You wrote something here that raises an interesting question. I don't wish to stray from the topic or hyjack this importantthread, but I would like to ask you this because it is relevant to the topic.

Suppose your parents are dead set against guns, you owning them, carrying them, or bringing them into their house. Suppose you were a police officer. What do you think their take would then be? The only difference is your profession.. nothing else. One carries a gun for personal protection out of choice and the other carries one out of necessity of his job. Doesn't the acceptance of one over the other sound a bit hypocritical? Am I missing something with this?

SouthernBoy

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
There are so many ways to answer your question, it is hard to know where to begin. I can understand their feelings and concerns, since I have kids about your age, and I want them to listen when I tell them what I think is best. On the other hand, I recall being your age, and it was important for me to emancipate and become independent in many personal ways, even tho' I was still dependent on them financially.

Anyway, it is clear you already have plenty of data and facts to buttress your argument, so I don't think my recommending any other sources would help much. Beyond any factual argument about this issue is the emotional one, and, if I may be so indelicate, I think this may be important since I suspect your folks are somewhat more liberal than most of us here in traditional Virginia. Fight fire with fire: craft an emotional argument that relates to your experience. I've used the seat belt analogy many times. Seat belts, like guns need to be on all or most of the time to be useful, even on the "safe" roads. Just as we aren't likely to be victims of crime on any given day, we are unlikely to be in a car accident. We still need to be prepared at all times. Its too late to try to once the bad stuff starts. Explain that you feel the same about carrying as you do about seat belt use. The best way to drive this home emotionally is to ask them how they'd FEEL if they were driving with you and you told them you wanted them to remove their seat belts anytime they ride with you because seatbelt use makes you FEEL apprehensive. They would probably say something like their lives and safety are more important than any delicate feelings you have about unpleasant seat belts and the anxiety they cause you. That's when you point out you feel the same way when someone tells you you shouldn't be armed for you own safety because it makes someone else uncomfortable. I imagine you can take it from there and elaborate further. Just keep it mature and civil.....which I'm sure you will, Alex.

Thus ends the Uncle's advice column.
:lol:
Excellent!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

My kids asked why I carry... I told them to keep all of us safe. They buy it, no problem. I explained to them how I carry a First Aid kit and a CPR mask in the car (and a "Fix-A-Flat" and the Emergency Kit with heavy leather gloves, food & water along with flares, etc). I just explained that the pistol was just one more tool that is used for the safety of our family.

I haven't had to use the First Aid kit very often, but I have used it. I told them when I CC, its like carrying a First Aid Kit and not needing it unless something happens. When I OC, its like driving a police car down the street: the weirdoes, BG's and illegal aliens (excuse me, UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS)scatter and no one else really notices.

Do you also carry a spare tire, First Aid Kit or anything else in your car? Try that analogy with Mom & Dad. This summer, youmay have a 5' 0" female come visit you with a .45 Glock on her hip asking for someone to go to the range with her... What will Mom & Dad say when she comes to the door?

Mike

richarcm

imported post

This is the same as the anti-gun argument.

If your mom thinks a gun is different than a purse in that the purse can't kill people....ask her why she thinks you are a murderer. Because the gun can only kill someone if you tell it to.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
You claim "student status" but don't you ever go to class???

:what:
I have 2 finals left. I am studying all day for my English one that is tomorrow. Then I just have a Chem final on Monday and then it's off to home for me. My dad goes before congress on Wednesday so I'd like to be there for him:)

ODA 226

imported post

ALEX,

REMEMBER THIS...IT IS EASIER TO GET FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION!

DON'T SAY A WORD!

THEY HAVE THEIR MINDS MADE-UP AND NOTHING YOU SAY WILL CONVINCE THEM OTHERWISE.

CRAIG

CRF250rider1000

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
OUTSTANDING!

I can only hope my kids are as dilligent about their studies as you are.
This semester I have been good about it(usually). Last semester was a tough learning curve for me. I was in the library every day for hours it felt like:banghead: This semester I am doing well but these two last finals will make or break me:shock:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
ALEX,

DON'T SAY A WORD!

CRAIG
True, but I would also like to be straight up with them about it as I am with everything else in my life. That's just my character. Yes if they say no then I will probably still carry a good amount, but I don't like sneaking around it just isn't what I do.

SouthernBoy

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
ALEX,

DON'T SAY A WORD!

CRAIG
True, but I would also like to be straight up with them about it as I am with everything else in my life. That's just my character. Yes if they say no then I will probably still carry a good amount, but I don't like sneaking around it just isn't what I do.

You're to be commended, my friend. Your character is strong and true and you have nothing for which to explain or apologize to anyone that I can see with that attidude. Good for you and good luck on your exams.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Little off topic, but does anyone know of any good belts that I can pick up? Both of my holsters make this stupid belt rotate and dig into my side. I think I need a specific gun belt or something. Cheap is good;)

crazydude6030

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Your life is far more important to you than anything anyone else may think, say, or do to or about you for OC'ing. So much so that's not even a consideration.

With that said, if you are living under their roof and at their pleasure (cost), while in their presence and on their property, you really should refrain from OC'ing. Away from them, it becomes your decision simply because what you're doing is not an illegal act and is, in fact, a right.

You say your mom said, "that her purse can't kill someone". Would she rather you be killed than for you to have the means to protect yourself and possibly kill an assailant? Confront her with that one.

You are walking on eggs with this one, so good luck to you.

Well said.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, it's a tuff one. Just tell them that OC'ing is a right and you are exercising that right.

Your never going to have your parents approval on everything you do in life, this is one of those times. If they threaten to cut off the funds for school, and if you are as passionate about OC'ing as you have shown here, then your next course of action is to assume the responsibility of paying for your own education and get student loans to pay for the remainder of your education.

doodman

imported post

I am confused. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to be at least 21 to carry a handgun OC or CC (in Virginia)? And in your post you state that you're 20. Do I have wrong information?