• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convincing the parents

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

doodman wrote:
I am confused. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to be at least 21 to carry a handgun OC or CC (in Virginia)? And in your post you state that you're 20. Do I have wrong information?
18 to OC. 21 to get the permit. Someone else can cite it, but there is no "direct" law allowing it, just no laws disallowing open carry at 18 or older.

richarcm

imported post

doodman wrote:
I am confused.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to be at least 21 to carry a handgun OC or CC (in Virginia)?  And in your post you state that you're 20.  Do I have wrong information?

21 to purchase. 18 to own and carry.

Am I wrong? I've never had to worry about this.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

richarcm wrote:
doodman wrote:
I am confused. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to be at least 21 to carry a handgun OC or CC (in Virginia)? And in your post you state that you're 20. Do I have wrong information?

21 to purchase from an FFL. 18 to purchase privately and to OC.

richarcm

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
richarcm wrote:
doodman wrote:
I am confused.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to be at least 21 to carry a handgun OC or CC (in Virginia)?  And in your post you state that you're 20.  Do I have wrong information?

21 to purchase from an FFL. 18 to purchase privately and to OC.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

taurusfan

imported post

The 18-20 year old "open carry loophole" in Virginia:

1) They can't buy a handgun from an FFL.

2) They can't get a concealed handgun permit.

3) They can't even buy ammo "for a pistol" at Wal-Mart (if any should be in stock, that is).

Yet they can openly carrying a handgun.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

glockfan wrote:

3) They can't even buy ammo "for a pistol" at Wal-Mart (if any should be in stock, that is).

Yea it's annoying, but at least I can carry.

Neplusultra

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I actuallly do mean this in a nice way - you have been a legal adult for 2 years now. Tell your parents that you'll do as you damn well please when you are out in public.
Yep, when you're in their house you obey their rules, simple enough. Cut the cord. When you're on your own, you're on your own..... I still follow this rule when visiting with my parents, and I'm 49. They don't like guns and at first wouldn't allow it in their house. But after getting used to it, I guess, now they don't care if I bring it inside - and wear it inside.....

I did get them to let me bring it inside in the beginning because I told them I didn't want anyone breaking into my truck at night and stealing it... :^). But they said I had to unload and disassemble. But now, they're cool.

They might be as uneasy with the idea of the baby growing up as much as you might be :^). Carrying a gun is a BIG responsibility that can save or destroy your life in a hurry. Just look at the VCU student who recently got charged with 2cd degree murder for improperly shooting a robber..... His life is over. Talk with them, be calm, not defensive.

You wrote something here that raises an interesting question. I don't wish to stray from the topic or hyjack this importantthread, but I would like to ask you this because it is relevant to the topic.

Suppose your parents are dead set against guns, you owning them, carrying them, or bringing them into their house. Suppose you were a police officer. What do you think their take would then be? The only difference is your profession.. nothing else. One carries a gun for personal protection out of choice and the other carries one out of necessity of his job. Doesn't the acceptance of one over the other sound a bit hypocritical? Am I missing something with this?
Never said their position was rational :^). My dad used to belong to HCI, donating money to them even. But not anymore, he's very pro 2A now. It just took them awhile. Took them clay pigeon shooting years ago. First time my mother had ever shot a gun and she was in her late 70's at the time....

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
ALEX,

REMEMBER THIS...IT IS EASIER TO GET FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION!

DON'T SAY A WORD!

THEY HAVE THEIR MINDS MADE-UP AND NOTHING YOU SAY WILL CONVINCE THEM OTHERWISE.

CRAIG
True, but I would also like to be straight up with them about it as I am with everything else in my life. That's just my character. Yes if they say no then I will probably still carry a good amount, but I don't like sneaking around it just isn't what I do.

True, if I were ever to have kids I would always want them to be completely honest with me about everything, even if I disagree with it. That's what real relationships are like, IMO.... It conveys a certain respect and love or desire for relationship, even if there is disagreement. There is only *one* truth, and if both parties are headed in that direction then eventually they will both be at the same place.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
glockfan wrote:

Yea it's annoying, but at least I can carry.
Another crazy "loophole" (no such thing) is for ammo. We all know you can go into wally world and try to convince them the 9mm you want to buy is for a carbine.

I get all my premium defense ammo at the gun show where they simply are swamped with people they rarely ask to verify my age (maybe I look 21?) Anyhow, I've come to the point where I've started reloading my own ammo, both for range use and protection. I can buy components all day long and make my own handgun ammo, but legally I can't go to the store and buy it already assembled.

A few days ago I loaded up some 124gr +P Gold Dots in 9mm which is what I'm going to carry (a 100rd box of Gold Dot bullets costs less than a 50rd box of loaded ammo at the show and even factoring in all the components needed I still have a 50rd box of ammo that I know contains NO duds or Squibs for less than half the cost of the factory stuff if even available). I figure I'd give all of the "good" factory LE boxes to my family since they don't reload and ammo is getting hard to come by, especially the LE 50rd boxes.

I know a lot of people say never carry handloads because some rabid jury will crucify you as some nutjob who loaded extra deadly ammo. Well, I carry what I can get, and my ammo matches the specs of the factory stuff, and I believe that if it's truly a self-defense shooting they aren't likely to be worried about what ammo I used. And I hope I never have to find out.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Little off topic, but does anyone know of any good belts that I can pick up? Both of my holsters make this stupid belt rotate and dig into my side. I think I need a specific gun belt or something. Cheap is good;)
Check out MidwayUSA.com

That's where I ordered my Bianchi gun belt.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I have a little different views than my dad. He is high up in the government and I am not exactly in favor of Obama, but it is what it is. We have different views and I respect his while I believe that he should respect mine.:)

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I have a little different views than my dad. He is high up in the government and I am not exactly in favor of Obama, but it is what it is. We have different views and I respect his while I believe that he should respect mine.:)
Good luck when you go home. I hope everything works out for the best.;)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I actuallly do mean this in a nice way - you have been a legal adult for 2 years now. Tell your parents that you'll do as you damn well please when you are out in public.
Yep, when you're in their house you obey their rules, simple enough. Cut the cord. When you're on your own, you're on your own..... I still follow this rule when visiting with my parents, and I'm 49. They don't like guns and at first wouldn't allow it in their house. But after getting used to it, I guess, now they don't care if I bring it inside - and wear it inside.....

I did get them to let me bring it inside in the beginning because I told them I didn't want anyone breaking into my truck at night and stealing it... :^). But they said I had to unload and disassemble. But now, they're cool.

They might be as uneasy with the idea of the baby growing up as much as you might be :^). Carrying a gun is a BIG responsibility that can save or destroy your life in a hurry. Just look at the VCU student who recently got charged with 2cd degree murder for improperly shooting a robber..... His life is over. Talk with them, be calm, not defensive.

You wrote something here that raises an interesting question. I don't wish to stray from the topic or hyjack this importantthread, but I would like to ask you this because it is relevant to the topic.

Suppose your parents are dead set against guns, you owning them, carrying them, or bringing them into their house. Suppose you were a police officer. What do you think their take would then be? The only difference is your profession.. nothing else. One carries a gun for personal protection out of choice and the other carries one out of necessity of his job. Doesn't the acceptance of one over the other sound a bit hypocritical? Am I missing something with this?
Never said their position was rational :^). My dad used to belong to HCI, donating money to them even. But not anymore, he's very pro 2A now. It just took them awhile. Took them clay pigeon shooting years ago. First time my mother had ever shot a gun and she was in her late 70's at the time....
I think you misunderstood me. I was not raising any sort of issue with your post at all. I was merely posing a question that I thought of while reading your post. That's all.

ODA 226

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
ALEX,

DON'T SAY A WORD!

CRAIG
True, but I would also like to be straight up with them about it as I am with everything else in my life. That's just my character. Yes if they say no then I will probably still carry a good amount, but I don't like sneaking around it just isn't what I do.

True, if I were ever to have kids I would always want them to be completely honest with me about everything, even if I disagree with it. That's what real relationships are like, IMO.... It conveys a certain respect and love or desire for relationship, even if there is disagreement. There is only *one* truth, and if both parties are headed in that direction then eventually they will both be at the same place.

I have kids. We are brutally honest with each other.

Alex OC'ing is totally against his parents wishes. I am afraid that his honesty with his parents at this time will only cause conflict.

He has made up his mind to OC. His parents are against it. His parents pay his bills while he is in college...No meeting of the minds here. Only a trainwreck.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
ALEX,

DON'T SAY A WORD!

CRAIG

I have kids. We are brutally honest with each other.

Alex OC'ing is totally against his parents wishes. I am afraid that his honesty with his parents at this time will only cause conflict.

He has made up his mind to OC. His parents are against it. His parents pay his bills while he is in college...No meeting of the minds here. Only a trainwreck.

From what little I know about this (can only base my opinions what I read here...) I'd have to agree.

If they are deadset against it, then there really is no "convincing" to be done. As I said, I'd just do it and move on. You make a non-issue of it and that's likely what it'll be...

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
So I should sneak my pistol out of the house and continue to OC? I think I'll try to ration with them first and then if that doesn't work I'm just going to carry when I can.
Well like I say, I don't know the situation. It wasn't an issue for me because I didn't live at home from 18 onward...and actually when I got out of school the summer I turned 20, I lived in NC so it wasn't an issue there either (just didn't do it on account of seldom wearing a shirt, shoes or a belt.)

If you live at home and have to sneak a gun out of the house, then yes, I'd say talking with them is certainly a good way to go. A buddy used to open carry with me a lot when were 18-20 and his parents were VERRRRRY against it so he kept his gun and holster in his truck and never mentioned it around his parents. Carried during his day, then just locked his gun/holster back in the glovebox when he was turning in the driveway at his house.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
If you live at home and have to sneak a gun out of the house, then yes, I'd say talking with them is certainly a good way to go. A buddy used to open carry with me a lot when were 18-20 and his parents were VERRRRRY against it so he kept his gun and holster in his truck and never mentioned it around his parents. Carried during his day, then just locked his gun/holster back in the glovebox when he was turning in the driveway at his house.
I am thinking about doing this. We'll see though I would rather my parents just live with it.

Neplusultra

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I was not raising any sort of issue with your post at all. I was merely posing a question that I thought of while reading your post. That's all.
Cool, I was actually agreeing with you :^).

richarcm

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
I am thinking about doing this. We'll see though I would rather my parents just live with it.
Are your parents anti-gun in general or just concerned about their little boy carrying a gun around in public? I've found that the gun range is a good tool in making people a little more gun friendly. Especially if your parents have never been I'd suggest, if all else fails, that you invite them....beg them even....to go shooting with you. Perhaps if you show them that this means a lot to you and is not just some sort of youth rebellion and perhaps if they actually get to have the gun in their hands, shoot it and learn how they actually work....they might ease some fears about it.

Just a suggestion. My dad was never anti-gun but became VERY VERY pro-gun once I took him shooting. My mom is not anti-gun but doesn't like them. I told her that I'm going to take her to the range one day. I think it would make her much more pro-gun as well. ITS FUN! EVERYBODY smiles when they first put that gun in their hands and shoot it for the first time. Its IMPOSSIBLE not to smile. It adds a new emotion to guns....which is much needed in today's society. The tricky part is convincing them to go. Once they do....you are good to go!!! :D