• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage OC Picnic

EM87

imported post

So far a lot of people say that they'll be bringing a dish to pass, but there's a lot of items unaccounted for. I realized that I no longer have a cooler, so I can bring water bottles but I can't cool them. Can anyone bring a cooler full of ice? Also, condiments are important, and so is a grill! Those are the most important items. Everything is listed below. Please sign up to bring something if you can! We really need a grill!

Grill -
Dogs/Buns - autosurgeon
Brats/Buns - SA-XD
Burgers/Buns -
Spices for the meat -
Potato Salad -
Dessert -
Chips -
Condiments -
Cooler -
Ice -
Water - EM87
Pop -
Napkins/Paper Towels - h2ofowl
Paper Plates -
Plastic Ware -
Video Camera/Camera -
Signs -
Paper handouts -

hopnpop

imported post

Oof, looks like it's gonna be H-O-T and M-U-G-G-Y! Real slight chance of some showers, so bring your umbrellas JIC. Looks like I'm still in. I'll bring couple coolers and probably some condiments. I need a ballpark figure as to how many ppl in attendance and I'll see about what else I may be able to contribute.

bigdaddyj

imported post

a friend of mine wants to come and carry his gun, but doesnt have a holster. Would he be able to use a concealment holster as long as it is not covered and out it in the open? Also was wondering how much if any retention is required? The holster he would be using doesnt have a strap to hold the gun in but with a belt tightened it isnt that easy to get it out of the holster.

hopnpop

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
a friend of mine wants to come and carry his gun, but doesnt have a holster. Would he be able to use a concealment holster as long as it is not covered and out it in the open? Also was wondering how much if any retention is required? The holster he would be using doesnt have a strap to hold the gun in but with a belt tightened it isnt that easy to get it out of the holster.
He's aware that he doesn't need to be armed to come and show support, right? Personally I wouldn't recommend jumping into openly carrying without having a strong familiarity with the holster(s) you're working with. Common-sense retention is a must, just to mean that you don't want the thing falling out. Again, personally, I think some type of retention is always good. However, when I wear an IWB holster, I wear in the the appendix position, open-style without any retention. Appendix position isn't nearly as convenient position for a gun grab as hip carry. BUT, to each their own.

Finz

imported post

Finz / h2oFowl :
paper plates/napkins,
ketchup/mustard/onions
dessert (probably cookies)
chips
more dogs if needed (yes would be nice for a headcount :?)

Someone find a grill yet? Would be bad if there ended up not being one. Wish I could help :(

bigdaddyj

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
He's aware that he doesn't need to be armed to come and show support, right? Personally I wouldn't recommend jumping into openly carrying without having a strong familiarity with the holster(s) you're working with. Common-sense retention is a must, just to mean that you don't want the thing falling out. Again, personally, I think some type of retention is always good. However, when I wear an IWB holster, I wear in the the appendix position, open-style without any retention. Appendix position isn't nearly as convenient position for a gun grab as hip carry. BUT, to each their own.
Yes he understands that he doesn't have to be armed to show support. But I was just curious. Also my dad who has a CPL said he may attend also.

noclue

imported post

I haven't gone golfing in a couple of years, but I'd love to pick up a few discs and head out again. I used to play on leagues at Coldbrook park, that would be a great place for an OC picnic too, although it is kind of out in the sticks. Hit me up for a few rounds of OC Disc Golf at Knollwood though! ;)

Oh, regarding the topic at hand, I'm going to try to make it to the picnic in Portage on Sunday too, I'll try to bring a few goodies.

EM87

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Oof, looks like it's gonna be H-O-T and M-U-G-G-Y!  Real slight chance of some showers, so bring your umbrellas JIC.  Looks like I'm still in.  I'll bring couple coolers and probably some condiments.  I need a ballpark figure as to how many ppl in attendance and I'll see about what else I may be able to contribute.

I have no idea how many people to expect, sorry. Last time at the Kalamazoo picnic there were over 30, but that doesn't mean that this will be the same. But I'd bring supplies for about that many people.

We still need a grill!

hopnpop

imported post

EM87 wrote:
hopnpop wrote:
Oof, looks like it's gonna be H-O-T and M-U-G-G-Y! Real slight chance of some showers, so bring your umbrellas JIC. Looks like I'm still in. I'll bring couple coolers and probably some condiments. I need a ballpark figure as to how many ppl in attendance and I'll see about what else I may be able to contribute.

I have no idea how many people to expect, sorry. Last time at the Kalamazoo picnic there were over 30, but that doesn't mean that this will be the same. But I'd bring supplies for about that many people.

We still need a grill!

I got a charcoal grill but need a new grate for it, which'll be about $20. If I have to buy it so we can use my grill, I won't be bringing anything else but coolers. Still on unemployment (big surprise) and just had to have new windshield installed, so things are TIGHT. Also, with that, we'd need charcoal. And lastly, I really didn't want to drive the truck, which I'd have to do if bringing the grill. So, I would consider mine an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT and I'm holding out for someone else to have the means of grilling!! Honestly, I DON'T want to be the one who has to supply the grill but I suppose I would find a way if I MUST. PLEASE, is there anyone who can step up and save us here?!

When asked for ballpark attendance figure I was thinking contributing some burger but that's costly - and if I need to buy a grate for my grill, it's totally out of the question. I'm just not in a position to be able to do much right now, and for that I apologize. I'd be best off personally if someone else can provide a grill than I could go ahead and pick up some things we need from Gordons or whatever. So, I'll be keeping posted.

Finz

imported post

hop, dont worry... understandable things are tight. Just do what you can.
Maybe we need to switch to lunch meats/ loaves of bread? Course, with it being that hot, need to watch for spoilage, or maybe make it like a cheese/ sausage/ crackers kind of thing (snacks). Argh, we just gave our portable grill away too :?.

Does the park have picnic tables?

hopnpop

imported post

Finz wrote:
Does the park have picnic tables?

I was under the impression that it does. Hate this last-minute stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about spoilage with the short duration of the picnic. We'll have some coolers there. Instead of soda, was thinking I'd bring some cups and a few gallons of hawaiian punch or something. I can do some ice, too. Also, I know it's crunch time but still if nothing comes up on the grill issue, I'll see if my wife's lil portable will function. If we resort to using it, I wouldn't even worry about any burger(s) - it's so small it would be best used just for dogs.

...in which case, on the following list burgers, buns, and spiceshave been omitted.

Grills - EM87
Dogs/Buns - autosurgeon; finz
Brats/Buns - SA-XD
Potato Salad - cabman
Dessert - finz/h2ofowl
Chips - finz/h2ofowl; hopnpop
Condiments - finz/h2ofowl
Cooler - hopnpop
Ice - hopnpop; _____________
Water - EM87
Pop - hopnpop; _____________
Napkins/Paper Towels - h2ofowl
Paper Plates - bobn911
Plastic Ware - bobn911
Video Camera/Camera - autosurgeon
Signs - cabman
Paper handouts -

...And various ppl have mentioned bringing "something" to pass.