• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roadblock last night

reconvic

imported post

After 911 happen probably cause went out the window. Anyone can be stop at anytime the best way to handle it for both party is show respect and they will give respect. It may have been a DUI roadblock, right that is all on the up and up. I think we better think on both sides of the fence before typing. Again this is my personal thoughts.
S/F Vic

SlackwareRobert

imported post

reconvic wrote:
r6-rider wrote:
i would of thought they would tell you the state law in the CCW class

Good point there R-6, besides if you tell them in advance it will put them at ease because the minute they run your plate they will know if you are a have a concealed carry permit. To Quote Rebel it is the right thing to do.
S/F Vic

Alabama cc class is filling out 1/2 sheet of paper and handing $15 to the sheriff. :celebrate
Only bad thing is there is no one to ask about laws, but no third party
ripoff fees either.
It does cause risks, but I have no doubt that any class couldn't answer my
questions anyways. Like have I committed a crime if I put a gun
in the glove box of a car that has escaped from custody(impound)?
The car has not been convicted to my knowledge, but is on the lamb.:lol:

No notify law, guess I missed the roadblock myself, next time
consider a U-turn if you have time to listen to ranting when they
chase you down, and you were not stuck on the divided section of road.
Just love those Rag Time Cafe sandwiches for lunch.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RSXBoi wrote:
Hi everyone; I am new to the forums. I have been viewing some of the topics that all of you wonderful people have posted, and this has been a very resourceful website with most of my questions. I have a concealed weapons permit and I came accross a road block last night around 11 PM in Leeds, Alabama on Hwy 119 in Jefferson County. About 10 police cars were there and some LEO's were standing in the road with flashlight wands. When I slowed to a stop, I was asked to provide my license and proof of insurance. I have read some sources on the internetthat it is required by law to inform a police officer if you are carrying a concealed weapon. If I was carrying a concealed weapon, should I have informed the police officer? I thought about voluntarily telling him, but I thought since I didn't know if we are required to inform them, that if I told him, that it could've have escalated into a situation where he was asking me to step out of the car or something. Am I required in the state of alabama to inform the police officer requesting my papers at a road block if I am carrying a concealed weapon? If so, how should I expect to be treated?

First, welcome to OCDO. There has been much ggood advice so far, and the LEGAL answer will vary from state to state.

That being said, the part in red is significangt - if you aren't familiar with you state's gun laws, you shouldn't be carrying until you become familiar with them.

Thisis not a slam against you, but is simply advice. try looking at http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/or http://www.gunlaws.com/links/or http://www.handgunlaw.us/for starters. Also go to the Alabama board and search around it for a link to any on-line version of the Alabama code of laws run by the state itself.

reconvic

imported post

Always good to know your state rules, I would take classes even though it is not required if possible. A safety course is a must in handling firearms in court. A lawyer will tear you apart otherwise. Train and learn and ask as many questions as possible.
S/F Vic

WheelGun

imported post

Here is an excellent resource for the legal aspects of roadblocks:

http://www.roadblock.org/faq.htm

I have turned around and gone the long way more than once to avoid a roadblock even though I was doing absolutely nothing illegal. I just do not want to be bothered talking to anyone I don't have to.

If you cannot turn around safely or do not want to be the subject of undue suspicion, think of the name of the most recent town or highway you just passed by. Go out of your way to call a cop over to your vehicle and ask directions for the above mentioned landmark.

When they tell you the desired location is behind you, begin to make your u-turn. If they stop you and tell you that you have to go through the checkpoint, now they are detaining you.

That's when you ask if you are under arrest or free to go.

RSXBoi

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Please forgive my compatriots' lack of manners.

WELCOME TO OCDO!!!!!!
XD-GEM wrote:
First, welcome to OCDO.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I have been looking through the forums for quite some time, and I love reading all the interesting things. Especially that info about my right to open carry = ). I've really the needed advice guys; you guys are so wonderful. 21 replies in a couple of days, that's great. If I were a policeman, I would want the person I just pulled over to inform me if he/she is carrying, so I do believe I should inform them, good to know others feel the same way.

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Do you REALLY want advice... or just fishin'? I care less what some of these guardhouse lawers will tell you. Advise the cop you're armed. No surprises. Then ask how to proceed. 'Does much to defuse a situation before it happens.

It's the right thing to do.
I think it is the right thing to do as well. I really have appreciated the advice you guys have given me. I wasn't too sure WHY the statute in some states require me to inform if i'm carrying. So it has been more of a moral/ethical issue for me thus far. By any chance are you an LEO? What if i'm simply passing by an officer down the street and we make eye contact and he asks me how I am doing today. Should I inform him if i'm carrying a pistol with my CCW permit? Do you still feel I should inform them for a casual road block in the middle of the night?.

marshaul wrote:
Well, there you have it. Sonora's opinion. And he doesn't care what other's think. Seems to me there's no room for debate.
Always good to think on both sides of the fence; thanks Reconvic

r6-rider wrote:
what was it a DUI check or somethin? i dont know about alabama but i would of done the same thing you did. no point in bringing up something other then the reason you are stopped in the first place. how you will be treated depends on the cop, no one can tell you how your situation will go
R6-Rider, yes it probably was a random DUI checkpoint, and the officer was very informal after I provided him my drivers license & insurance, and it seemed like they weren't concerned with me in my new GMC Sierra White Pickup Truck with my girlfriend in the car with me; i'm a young male caucasion who doesn't get profiled too often, but you're exactly right.

Ithought that there should have been a required course or test, for my CCW permit, or at least a packet with some useful information. From my experience here in Alabama gun laws are few and unimportant. If we could just get Larry Langford out of office, we would begin accomplishing something. Ihaven't found any statutes in Alabama that require me by law, to inform the LEO that I am carrying a concealed weapon. I think it's probably the right thing to do to inform them, but I haven't know how I should inform the LEO without causing a anyalarm.

suntzu wrote:
if they try to intimidate you, simply tell them you want to speak to a supervisor, and then if you have sufficient reason after the encounter--file an official complaint if you feel the officers have crossed the line...because a lot of times they simply won't like it if you try to exercise your Constitutionally protected rights and will either resort to trying to make up a reason to arrest you, or will simply try to intimidate you into cooperating.

Suntzu, thanks for your advice, I wanted to get some LEO's opinions on whether or not they would prefer to be informed before divulging that evidence. It seems like there are plenty of LEO's on this website who would be able to express how they feel about being informed by required law or not. I have been the unfortunate individual who has learned the hard way on how to handle LEO's request for search. I got into some trouble a few years back because I authorized them to search and had possessed a few marijuana seeds in my carmats. I know all about my 4th & 5th rights now, you better believe it = ). I have realized that sometimes, in situations at cash registers, it's been difficult to get my wallet out with the gun on the same side; thanks for your advice good sire.

Chaingun81 wrote:
Also, apart from the LEO's personality andpositionon armedcivilians,a lot of other factors would determine his reaction. What car you drive, what neighbourhood you are in, time of the day, what you are wearing, passengers in the car if any, the way you word your notification, your age, race and gender,etc.

Just to give 2 extreme examples:if you are a middle aged whitesoccer momdriving anewishHondaminivan with 3 kids in itat 4PM throughan upscale suburb, he would be much more at ease than if you were a black guy in his early 20s dressed like a rapper driving a rigged Caddy with spinning rimsaloneat 2AMthrough a bad neighbourhood.

You can tell me a 1000 times that profiling is wrong, but it's human nature to use it. Stereotypes exist for a reason, what's really wrong is using a stereotype as a final judgement on every person from the stereotyped group.
Chaingun, I was actually in a vehicle that belongs to the company I work for. It's interesting that Alabama just passed a bill that prohibits all employers from probhibiting employees from carrying in their designated work vehicle. I'm pretty confident that they did not run my plate, however; the police officers did look in the bed of my truck; how intrusive. But, it's not like they're gonna find anything more than some garbage bags. Profiling is wrong, but I believe you're right that it is human nature. I think if you put things under magnifying glasses, that you'll find more wrong things with it than you would if you didn't.

ccwinstructor wrote:
The technique that I teach, if you have a requirement to tell the police that you are armed or if you have decided to do so, is to hand the officer your driver's license and your CCW permit at the same time. Then the reaction is: What the heck is this....oh CCW, instead of... Gun!!
CCWInstructor, I have got to say thank you for the best advice I have been given about this topic. Many people don't agree that I should inform LEO's if i'm not required to, but I believe your method of handing your CCW permit to the LEO with your DL, that it's the most subtle and obvious method of informing them.

Why is it a statute in some states? How did the statute come about and for what purpose? How informing should I be to a cop that is walking down the street and casually asks me how I am doing today?

The problem is that I have been reading my state laws for 6 months straight, and I cannot find anywhere in any gun law statutes that require me to inform LEO's. If a law doesn't exist, I could spend a lifetime looking for it. I'm going to request some clarification from my pistol permit officer for the county i'm in; I'll keep you guys updated to his response. Again, thank you for welcoming to the forum; your opinions are greatly appreciated.

reconvic

imported post

I respect your opinion and please respect mine and I think it is a matter of respect in letting know a LEO you are armed, not a requirement.So you go do as you please and I will do what I have been doing for many years now.
:D
Have a nice day
S/F Vic

kurtmax_0

imported post

I replied specifically in the Alabama forum as such:

No. Alabama has no law requiring you to notify an officer if you are carrying a firearm.

I would personally never volunteer information to an officer. If they ask if you are carrying a firearm (or anything else, for that matter), simply refuse to answer the question. Refusing to answer does not give them RAS or PC to search you or your vehicle. Don't lie, however, as that is illegal.

As for your answer in informing an officer asking if you had a nice day. Even in states that have requirements to inform, they generally don't apply to a casual conversation like that. In fact, saying you had a firearm would be a bit creepy.

In my personal opinion, I would not carry on a conversation with an officer. I'd either just ignore them or say I don't want to talk to them. Officers are always searching for ways to find dirt on you. Never volunteer any information no matter how innocent you think it may be. Many on the forums here might say such actions make you 'suspicious' or somesuch, but they ignore the fact that not talking gives the officer no RAS or PC on you, and talking may...

Chaingun81

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:

No. Alabama has no law requiring you to notify an officer if you are carrying a firearm.

I would personally never volunteer information to an officer. If they ask if you are carrying a firearm (or anything else, for that matter), simply refuse to answer the question. Refusing to answer does not give them RAS or PC to search you or your vehicle. Don't lie, however, as that is illegal.

As for your answer in informing an officer asking if you had a nice day. Even in states that have requirements to inform, they generally don't apply to a casual conversation like that. In fact, saying you had a firearm would be a bit creepy.

Yeah, I can imagine how that wouldn't go down well. You are walking down the street and a cop is walking toward you.

- How you doin' today sir?

- Great, officer. I've got a loaded gun!

You'll be lucky if you are not staring at a chambered hollow point on the other end of his duty firearm within few seconds after such statement...

reconvic

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

Yeah, I can imagine how that wouldn't go down well. You are walking down the street and a cop is walking toward you.

You'll be lucky if you are not staring at a chambered hollow point on the other end of his duty firearm within few seconds after such statement...

Using a little common sense helps here if you are carrying open you need not say a word he has eyes. I was referring to cars just for your information.
S/F Vic

Chaingun81

imported post

reconvic wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

Using a little common sense helps here if you are carrying open you need not say a word he has eyes. I was referring to cars just for your information.
S/F Vic

Come on man, I'm not trying to be mean or offensive. I was just making a joke, all in good fun!

DemiAsianMan

imported post

I have a question. If you are a passenger in the car and you are carrying should you volunteer your Permit as well or just leave it alone?

I ask this because my buddies and I go to the range all the time, we all have permits and we all either OC or CC. If we get stopped should we all grab for our permits and hand them over or just the driver?

Also another question I have is, at what point and time should we be grabbing our License and Registration? Should it be when he asks or before so that you have it ready when he asks?

Right now I carry that in my front pocket and if an officer asked for my License it may look like I was grabbing for my gun, but at the same time if I grab it before he asks or gets to the car it may look like I am trying to hide something.

compmanio365

imported post

DemiAsianMan wrote:
I have a question. If you are a passenger in the car and you are carrying should you volunteer your Permit as well or just leave it alone?

I ask this because my buddies and I go to the range all the time, we all have permits and we all either OC or CC. If we get stopped should we all grab for our permits and hand them over or just the driver?

Also another question I have is, at what point and time should we be grabbing our License and Registration? Should it be when he asks or before so that you have it ready when he asks?

Right now I carry that in my front pocket and if an officer asked for my License it may look like I was grabbing for my gun, but at the same time if I grab it before he asks or gets to the car it may look like I am trying to hide something.

In WA you don't have to inform unlessthey ask. Ifthey ask, cause you are in a vehicle, you better have your CPL and you do have to tell them you are carrying. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut and don't make a traffic stop turn into a prolonged detainment and illegal search/seizure. Don't make their job any easier than it already is.

In terms of carrying and providing license/registration/etc, I keep such things in my glovebox, minus the license. I just get them ready before the cop even gets to the car so I can get the encounter done and over with and not have any more of my time wasted than the government already allows them to waste. That way I'm not reaching around to where my gun is when I get my license, while they are at my window as well. I don't really want a cop with an itchy trigger finger and a hard on for shooting innocent people to have any reason whatsoever to draw on me.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
In terms of carrying and providing license/registration/etc, I keep such things in my glovebox, minus the license. I just get them ready before the cop even gets to the car so I can get the encounter done and over with and not have any more of my time wasted than the government already allows them to waste. That way I'm not reaching around to where my gun is when I get my license, while they are at my window as well. I don't really want a cop with an itchy trigger finger and a hard on for shooting innocent people to have any reason whatsoever to draw on me.
This is a good point. I keep the registration and proof of insurance in a pocket on the visor. I don't have to dig for it there, and it is easily available without shifting in my seat.

reconvic

imported post

DemiAsianMan wrote:
I have a question.  If you are a passenger in the car and you are carrying should you volunteer your Permit as well or just leave it alone?

I ask this because my buddies and I go to the range all the time, we all have permits and we all either OC or CC.  If we get stopped should we all grab for our permits and hand them over or just the driver?

Also another question I have is, at what point and time should we be grabbing our License and Registration?  Should it be when he asks or before so that you have it ready when he asks? 

It is not a requirement but put yourself in the LEO's shoes it is a matter of respect and putting them at ease because if you say nothing and then they see a gun they will pull there's out. So I would recommend you do I know I do.
S/F. Vic

NightOwl

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:

I keep imagining that happen and it gets me laughing, for the last several days. That might be the funniest thing I've read on these forums yet.

reconvic

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

I keep imagining that happen and it gets me laughing, for the last several days.  That might be the funniest thing I've read on these forums yet.

I agree I am sure after reading some post it has happen a few times LOL.
S/F Vic

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

RSXBoi wrote:

CCWInstructor, I have got to say thank you for the best advice I have been given about this topic. Many people don't agree that I should inform LEO's if i'm not required to, but I believe your method of handing your CCW permit to the LEO with your DL, that it's the most subtle and obvious method of informing them.

Why is it a statute in some states? How did the statute come about and for what purpose?

In most states, the statute came about in one of two ways. Leftists absolutely hate the idea of citizens being self sufficient, and it seems that citizens with guns is a real hot button for those who worship the State. Thus, when CCW legislation was first passed, it included many compromises to overcome weak sisters who were afraid of citizens carrying guns. One of the arguments used to oppose CCW was that it put officers at risk, because they would be dealing with people they did not know had a gun. While this argument is silly, because that would commonly be the case for dangerous criminals who would not inform the officer, this provision was put into law in some states in order to gain the necessary vote or two to pass.

The second method that this provision comes into law is the "trendy law" effect. Many legislators are lazy and want to gain points by passing law with little thought. What they do, is see that a law has passed somewhere else, change the state names and little else, and put the forward in their state, a sort of copy cat method of passsing law. In the states that "copy catted" a law with the notification provision, that state became a notificaiton state as well.

As an aside, the Statute in Wisconsin that makes it illegal to possess a gun within a thousand feet of a school, is so word for word the same as a version of the federal law that was put forward that parts of it make no sense whatsoever when applied to a state.

reconvic

imported post

As an aside, the Statute in Wisconsin that makes it illegal to possess a gun within a thousand feet of a school. Funny you say that it is the same here in AZ. Many of the laws need to be updated and revised. I happen to live within a Thousand feet of a school and they know I have all of them guns and carry and have held a CCP for over 30 years
I never leave home without a .45 locked and locked. Have contacted them
When I see something I know is out of place.(OK I admit I know many of the LEO in Mesa I shoot matches with some even). That law can actually make me living illegal. I feel it should be changed on school grounds, at the most.
S/F Vic