• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roadblock last night

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

reconvic wrote:
I respect your opinion and please respect mine and I think it is a matter of respect in letting know a LEO you are armed, not a requirement.So you go do as you please and I will do what I have been doing for many years now.
:D
Have a nice day
S/F Vic
I agree with this statement, but I take my reasons for chosing to do this a little further.

I don't like surprises of a negative kind and that means having an officer suddenly seeing my sidearm when he may not have been expecting this. I don't know what kind of day he's had or what he has been through over the last several hours, so I do not wish to be the subject of his ire.. as in being pulled down on.

I want to set his mind at ease by letting him know up front my condition in order to avoid confrontation. Who knows... he might cut me some slack in the process.

And there is this which I consider very important. We are all emissaries of a cause, ambassadors if you will, so I prefer to present myself in a positive light for myself and my fellow carriers. I want to do this with the general public, but in particular, law enforcement personnel. I want to win them over and let them see that we are the good guys.

So by me taking a few seconds to let an officer know I am armed, when I don't have to do this, can result in many good things in the end as I see it.

reconvic

imported post

Ok I can respect that post. I carry a CCP for many years and have many LEO friends and they told me that they are more at ease when they know in advance that a person has a gun. In AZ. when they run your plate in your car they will know if you own a CCP. I was not Police but Federal so it is taken from a different view.
S/F Vic

Larry0071

imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
The technique that I teach, if you have a requirement to tell the police that you are armed or if you have decided to do so, is to hand the officer your driver's license and your CCW permit at the same time. Then the reaction is: What the heck is this....oh CCW, instead of... Gun!!

I am in PA, we have no "CC class" because we are a "right to carry" state. Every law abiding citizen has the right to a CC permit (LTCF) unless the Sherrif Dept can prove otherwise. No expense or time other than 10 min at the Sherrif office and $18 for the permit.

Anytime I have pulled over in the last 15 years with a permit I do exactly as above, hand both the permit and the divers lisc to the officer as a pair... even if I am not currently carrying. This puts the cop in a situation where he is aware of the POTENTIAL for me to have a firearm without me sounding threatening saying something like "I AM ARMED" or I HAVE A GUN".... and the officer could react to that short sentence in a not so friendly mannor. With you handing him the permit and then placeing both hands on the 12 O'clock of the steering wheel... he has full visual of your hands and can now direct you verbally to make any moves he wishes without him being on a defensive path. I like to allow them to take all the control that makes them happy, this way the officer is less likely to be a jerk to you and more likely to be easy going and friendly.

I have been in this situation 4 times, and each time it worked like a champ. Hand over both, place hands on wheel, make no odd/sudden moves until instructed by the man in charge of the situation.

Hint: The man in charge should NOT be you in the pulled over car!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Larry0071 wrote:

I have been in this situation 4 times, and each time it worked like a champ. Hand over both, place hands on wheel, make no odd/sudden moves until instructed by the man in charge of the situation.

Hint: The man in charge should NOT be you in the pulled over car!
And there is the rub, in a DUI checkpoint you have not been pulled over.
Therefore your man in charge is out the window.

The man behind the wheel is in charge AND is responsible for that vehicle.

I am curious of the 4 times, did you keep your weapon. After a rouge gets
his hands on it is a little late if you need it. I prefer not to take the risk.
Is the only drawback to OC. what gun? that's a birthmark!
(it is really, it marks the birth of our nation.)
Of course I also need to turn on my dome light also, nice dark tint.:celebrate:celebrate

Larry0071

imported post

Nope, never had an LEO ask to see it or touch it. A couple of them asked me to keep my hands on the steering wheel unless they requested me to move them. I thought that was a fair request from a man doing a job that he sees his fellow officers get shot once in a while around the country in the news. I would be prudent and safe as well if I were an officer. He does not know if I am the local minister or the local heroin addict, may as well try and stay alive one more day. I know it's my goal!