• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fantastic WalMart experience

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, ... in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased ...

I agree, andthat is correct, But I think the point that is trying to be made, is that "The officer did not see the person get into the vehicle with an uncased firearm"

He called for back-up, or whatever took place because he "Did Notwitness something" not because "Hedid witnesssomething"

Now if the officer clearly witnessed to OP get into the vehicle with the firearm still in a holster, on his side. Then we may have a valid argument.
The officer "Assumed" the OP was transporting a firearmillegally.
If an officer assumes I may be flipping him the "one finger salute" even though he could not see it, does he still have RAS to violate my 1A rights of freedom of speech and expression.

BTW, flipping the bird to a police officer is protected by the 1st amendment according to the courts. While yelling and using foul language directly at the officer is not.

So if I was to say to a passenger "Ya know chet, this cop sure is a flaming bunghole that probaly screws goats during his lunchbreak" I am protected by my 1A rights. But if I tel the cop he is a bunghole goat-raper to his face, I am not protected. I believe I am also protected if I were to ask that question to an officer. Can anyone concur, or show cites to this?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, ... in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased ...
That is a good point Doug. I always unload at the back of my van, I then reach into the back of the van with my empty hand and grab the case, bring it out of the van and slip my unloaded hand gun into it. Closing it and then placing the encased hand gun in the back of the van.
I definitely do not want to be caught reaching into the van and unloading the Hand gun. They would get me for sure.
we need to remember the little details.

nevinsb

imported post

If someone wants to review this before I send it off, that would be great. I am having a hard time reading through it again and keeping a clear head.

Yeah, I agree, unless you already have the case outside of the vehicle, there isn't a good way to retrieve the case from the vehicle.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I've been thinking of examining the process of 'mounting' and 'dismounting' from a vehicle legally and with a weapon in some detail. I've a videographer visiting next week and we'll see what can be done. Maybe I'll actually post a VIMEO or YouTube.

I have read 'METZEN.TXT'. What do you want to hear about it?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

A copy of my note to my friend videographer...

I'm thinking of making a short and simple video to enable discussion of legally entering and exiting a car while armed IAW Wisconsin law. From here I'm just thinking in text...

Approach the car armed with a holstered condition one pistol (round chambered, hammer back, safe on ((1911 safe only cocked)), full magazine inserted).

Open the rear hatch where the gun-case is stored to be out of reach of the driver/passengers. Retrieve the gun-case and open to receive the pistol. Lay it on edge of interior.

Draw. While raising to 45-degree, drop the magazine. WATCH THE MUZZLE. Magazine to gun-case. While at 45 unSAFE, rack the slide to eject round into cupped hand and lock slide back, lever with right thumb. NO LONGER A GUN FOR SAFETY ARGUMENT. Administrative round to gun-case. Inspect.

Put the open pistol to gun-case. Shut case. Shut lid.

Get in drivers side and prepare to drive away. The unloaded gun is unloaded, encased and out of reach IAW legal requirements.

Arrive and get out of the car. Open the hatch. Retrieve the gun-case and open it.

At +45-degree, insert magazine and release slide to battery. SAFE the gun with hammer back (only way 1911 can be safed). Eject the magazine. Holster the gun.

Retrieve the administrative round and load it into the magazine. Draw to +45 and insert the magazine.

Holster the gun in condition one (chambered, cocked, SAFED, magazine loaded). Shut gun-case.

Shut and lock car.

protias

imported post

When that is written out on what we all need to do in order to be within the law, it really show how cumbersome it is to be within the law.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

I'm thinking of making a short and simple video to enable discussion of legally entering and exiting a car while armed IAW Wisconsin law. From here I'm just thinking in text...

Approach the car armed with a holstered condition one pistol (round chambered, hammer back, safe on ((1911 safe only cocked)), full magazine inserted).

Open the rear hatch where the gun-case is stored to be out of reach of the driver/passengers. Retrieve the gun-case and open to receive the pistol. Lay it on edge of interior.

Draw. While raising to 45-degree, drop the magazine. WATCH THE MUZZLE. Magazine to gun-case. While at 45 unSAFE, rack the slide to eject round into cupped hand and lock slide back, lever with right thumb. NO LONGER A GUN FOR SAFETY ARGUMENT. Administrative round to gun-case. Inspect.

Put the open pistol to gun-case. Shut case. Shut lid.

Get in drivers side and prepare to drive away. The unloaded gun is unloaded, encased and out of reach IAW legal requirements.

Arrive and get out of the car. Open the hatch. Retrieve the gun-case and open it.

At +45-degree, insert magazine and release slide to battery. SAFE the gun with hammer back (only way 1911 can be safed). Eject the magazine. Holster the gun.

Retrieve the administrative round and load it into the magazine. Draw to +45 and insert the magazine.

Holster the gun in condition one (chambered, cocked, SAFED, magazine loaded). Shut gun-case.

Shut and lock car.

The highlighted section is a LAW violation. The case MUST be completely removed from the vehicle prior to inserting the firearm. The case MUST be completely closed prior to returning it to vehicle with firearm inside. Open case == uncased.

Doug Huffman wrote:

trailblazer2003

imported post

protias wrote:
When that is written out on what we all need to do in order to be within the law, it really show how cumbersome it is to be within the law.
It would make for an interesting educational tool for other citizens and politicians on the fence regarding the current vehicle carry rules. I could imagine a tv ad or youtube series comparing current WI laws on transporting vs laws that would allow vehicle carry. The visual comparison would speak volumes for the cause.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Remove gun-case to knee, put the open pistol to gun-case. Shut case. Shut lid.

Shut and lock car.
Meanwhile he's asked me to 'write' the storyboard - the visual sketch.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Shut and lock car.

What about revolvers?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Shut and lock car.
Isn't "the unloaded gun is unloaded"a little awkward?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:
What about revolvers?
What about trolls?

The road to hell is paved with what-ifs and HankT/HenriettaTG will greet you there.

It's not a "what-if."

It's what about the procedure for revolvers? You don't intend to cover revolvers?

Hmm, why not?

Did you just forget it?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Three beers later, the 'storyboard' in text is
Show walk to the car. Wide angle.

Show holstered pistol with hammer back. Close-up

Show unlock car and open hatch. Wide angle.

The case to see that it is intended as a gun case - a legal requirement. Close-up.

The draw with finger discipline (along side action not on trigger). Medium distance.

The magazine drop into left hand.

The administrative round ejection into cupped hand - tricky. Close.

The gun latched open and arguably no longer a gun.

Gun-case to knee (someone perspicaciously observed that the pistol in the case open in the car is a violation).

Pistol into gun-case and latched shut. close.

Into car, lid shut and ready to drive away. wide.

Lift the car's lid and retrieve the gun-case to knee.

Open the case and with the pistol in hand return the case to the car. Medium.

Retrieve the magazine from the case and insert it into the 45-degree pistol. Close

Unlatch the slide to battery. ((Now a round is chambered and the hammer is back, cocked).

Safety on.

Eject magazine to left hand.

Holster the gun. Medium

Load the administrative round into the magazine.

Draw, unholster the gun and insert the magazine.

Holster the gun and walk away. Wide.

> I'll be glad to help you with that. I may bring two cameras or even more. We can have you do a voice over on one of the cameras too. So cook up a story board and let me know what you want to show so to speak and then we can shoot the scene.

nevinsb

imported post

I called the Wal-Mart, and they said the manager responsible for the call was talked to, and shouldn't happen again :)

I picked up my chips for the OC trash pickup and my 4 gallons of juice for the week.

The complaint letter to WCS is in the mail.